As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    No clue, don't know what smelling things is like. Is it like tasting with your nose?

hm

now I'm not even sure how words work anymore

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's more like hearing with your proprioception system. You know how it is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited April 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's more like hearing with your proprioception system. You know how it is.

like echo location?

but with your body instead of your ears

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what is the 'hold your nose and eat an apple trick?'

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Sometimes when I blow my nose I can feel air coming out of my eyeball.

That is what smelling is like.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the cheat wrote: »

I mean that whole thing where you're not supposed to be able to tell the difference between apple and raw potato if you hold your nose. It's a popular school science activity.

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I made homemade pickles to go with some burgs on game of thrones launch night, with dill, garlic, black peppercorns, fennel seed and mustard seed. While my friends were all very supportive and said they were good, they just tasted like straight up vinegar to me. Bad fooooood. That said, our GoT tradition is to grill a bunch of cheap Sam's club patties with provolone before each episode, which is good bad food, so it balances.

I mean that whole thing where you're not supposed to be able to tell the difference between apple and raw potato if you hold your nose. It's a popular school science activity.

WHAT?

Your taste buds for sweet are at the front of your tongue. There is no amount of holding your nose that would delete your ability to detect something sweet in it versus something not.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I don't know, have you ever held your nose and taken a bite of apple and raw potato and tried to tell the difference?

edited April 2019
    Yeah taste is very deeply entangled to smell for most people.

Pinching your nose blocks the olfactory part of taste so all you are getting is the raw taste. For a lot of people that's enough to eat unpalatable or undesirable things, like medicine that are otherwise extremely gross or bitter.

bowen on
    Also taste receptors are spread evenly across your tongue, no single part of your tongue is a sweet spot for certain tastes. This is one of those grade school lies they tell kids unfortunately.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/neat-and-tidy-map-tastes-tongue-you-learned-school-all-wrong-180963407/

It was derived from related but very targeted research that specifically had to do with the extreme edges of the tongue and variations in sensitivity to particular flavors.

Pretty inexcusable how it got so cocked up, but here we are.

bowen wrote: »
    Also taste receptors are spread evenly across your tongue, no single part of your tongue is a sweet spot for certain tastes. This is one of those grade school lies they tell kids unfortunately.

I personally blame bash.org for lying to me about this.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Oh man, bash.org, I haven't thought about that site for over a decade now.

I still think I'd 100% be able to tell the difference between potato and apple from other indicators unless it was like a red delicious or some other super mealy apple that has no flavor.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

who came up with this silly thing, your mouth has a very large quantity of receptors that will perceive the enormously higher quantity of sugars in the apple.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also, pinching your nose won't stop aromatic molecules from traveling up the back of your throat to the olfactory receptors in your airway (which is where the vast majority of the smell you perceive as "taste" originates from), almost all of any perceived loss of taste from doing that is placebo.

3clipse wrote: »

who came up with this silly thing, your mouth has a very large quantity of receptors that will perceive the enormously higher quantity of sugars in the apple.

My theory is that this was a really cool classroom experiment back when the best apple going was the Red Delicious, which admittedly can be hard to distinguish from a raw potato even when your nose is unplugged.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Granny Smith all the way.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

Maybe if you're cooking it in a pie or something.
    But for just raw apples? Give me that honey crisp.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Try an Envy apple before you crown the best.

steam_sig.png

My theory is that this was a really cool classroom experiment back when the best apple going was the Red Delicious, which admittedly can be hard to distinguish from a raw potato even when your nose is unplugged.

Honestly I'd rather have the raw potato.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Look at all these bad scientists making claims about how there's no way that can be true without trying to reproduce the experiment

BahamutZERO.gif
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I had plans for making something special to celebrate my 4-day Easter weekend, but I'm goddamb tired, so special effort can be tomorrow and tonight it's Everything Kung-Po and shrimp fried rice for V1m.

Sometimes low-effort sweet-salty-spicy is the thing.

Gonna have a coke with that, too. Hell yes I want prawn crackers with that, ma'am.

Look at all these bad scientists making claims about how there's no way that can be true without trying to reproduce the experiment

Don't blame me. I'm violently allergic to raw potatoes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

I have tried them, while I liked the texture they seemed too sweet to me.
    I may have gotten an off batch though.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

I have tried them, while I liked the texture they seemed too sweet to me.
    I may have gotten an off batch though.

They are more sweet than they are tart, so I can understand why some apple fanciers may not like them as much.

steam_sig.png
    Pink Lady is still my favorite apple hands down.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

How'd you find that out? I didn't think eating raw potatoes was a thing.

My favorite apples no longer exist, but they were ostensibly a hybrid between golden delicious and granny smith. Nice firmness, tartness and a mellow sweet closer to a pear than an apple. Dude who grew them died and his son sold the orchard and that land grows hops now. I can't eat hops!

edited April 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    My favorite apples no longer exist, but they were ostensibly a hybrid between golden delicious and granny smith. Nice firmness, tartness and a mellow sweet closer to a pear than an apple. Dude who grew them died and his son sold the orchard and that land grows hops now. I can't eat hops!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Delicious#Descendent_cultivars

You might be able to find another one you like. (Cripps pink is "pink lady" and you might actually like that one)

bowen on
    Oh I like pink ladies and fujis just fine, I was just lamenting the loss of my favorite.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

Maybe if you're cooking it in a pie or something.
    But for just raw apples? Give me that honey crisp.

Raw sour apples all day.

Curiosity. I was making scalloped potatoes for a housewarming party for my first apartment after moving out of the dorms, and I cronched a potato disk for no real reason other than to see what it tasted like.

Fifteen minutes later I was on the couch with a wet washrag over my eyes, feeling like I'd been maced. Fortunately, I'd had the exact same sensation about a year earlier as a reaction to raw carrots, so I was able to take an antihistamine and recover in time for the party.

Oral allergy syndrome: always an adventure.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I did the nose-holding potato vs apple experiment when I was young, and had no problem telling them apart. I don't recall if I could taste the difference or not, but I do remember that there was a huge textural difference.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

A good potato is perfectly delicious to eat raw.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The only Hill-To-Die-On Food Opinion I have is that grilling with anything other than charcoal or wood is a waste of everyone's time.
    Sorry I don’t have 4 hours to babysit the coals to get them just right

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The only Hill-To-Die-On Food Opinion I have is that grilling with anything other than charcoal or wood is a waste of everyone's time.
    Best time for grilling is the weekend though.

You can spend those 4 hours sitting back, watching the grill, cracking open a cold one (or 6) while you wait.

sig.gif
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I too have fond memories of barbecues where I spent hours watching a grill. Now however, it's hard to justify spending my precious free time watching a fire instead of cooking in a fraction of the time and getting it out the way so I can get to the important part: eating.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

You can of course also get a smoker box for your gas grill that you can pop some nice wood chips in and get that smoky flavour.

This discussion has been closed.