As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    That looks like one of those "99% will fail!" problems... but actually difficult because there's nothing to even hint at them.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Just did a real life Escape Room. There was a couple absolutely ridiculous puzzles that I can't imagine anyone ever getting without a clue. I just wanted to see if anyone here could solve them and I'm just a dunce.

The following had zero outside clues pointing you to a solution.
    Solve for ?

49 - 188 - 237 - 1464 - ? - 1790

Solution
    Each pair, the left number is half of the number to the right, backwards. 188 / 2 = 94, flipped to 49. ? = 598

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?
    You count the number of "circles" in each number. 0 = 1, 6 = 1. 8 = 2, 9 = 1

.....yeah

Those are more like irritating facebook brain teasers than escape room puzzles.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I've done a number of escape rooms, and it's rare for "mathematical puzzles" to actually require any math. Usually they are a disguised word puzzle or logic puzzle. I suppose this is due to the normal demographics of the solvers. As such, I'm primed for such things and immediately saw the solution to your second puzzle. The first one eluded me, and I'm not really sure it works as presented.
    To be fair to a solver, if those are really pairs of numbers they should be displayed that way. If presented as a sequence the whole thing should be a sequence. That means the third number should instead be 1762, I suppose, and so on.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Those puzzles look like something I would expect to see in the semifinals of OnlyConnect. Which isn't really an escape room, unless you aren't a fan of Victoria Coren-Mitchell.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Stabbed in eye by bottle opener - Hit in back of head with a shovel - Murdered by Pikmin - ?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Just did a real life Escape Room. There was a couple absolutely ridiculous puzzles that I can't imagine anyone ever getting without a clue. I just wanted to see if anyone here could solve them and I'm just a dunce.

Solve for ?

Solution
    Each pair, the left number is half of the number to the right, backwards. 188 / 2 = 94, flipped to 49. ? = 598

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?

.....yeah

Escape room puzzles should not be like this

That is terrible

It’s both math and arbitrary

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »

Solve for ?

Solution

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?

.....yeah

That is terrible

Yeah. The first room I did at that place was great. The 2nd and 3rd were pretty bad in that they both heavy on the "grope around in the low light dark for stuff and you can't turn bright lights on because BLACKLIGHTS ARE COOL, RIGHT?". This one had those 2 math heavy ones that made me look up and give the game master camera a "Are you serious?" look.

the 2nd one had the most bullshit one ever that I think I've shared here before
    6 letter word lock. Each segment has all letters of the alphabet. THERE IS NO CLUE WHICH OBJECT IN THE ROOM APPLIES TO THIS.
    There is a Cabbage Patch kid on the bed. He is wearing a letter jacket with the initials "AR".
    Obviously the word lock solution is doll+ar, or "dollar". Keep in mind there was nothing at all pointing to any particular object. I wouldn't have solved this even if a neon arrow was pointing to the doll saying "LETTER LOCK SOLUTION HERE!!!!" Did they expect the players to seriously play dumb word games like this with every single object in the room??

MrBody on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Ship Naked is telling me that my full version of GOTHAM CITY CHRONICLES with all the fixin's arrives tomorrow. Eight, count 'em, eight boxes !

Yeah baby.

Fairchild on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Solve for ?

Solution

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?

.....yeah

I had actually seen the second one before, and solved it correctly. Did take me a while tho. I have no idea how anyone could get the first, props to anyone that does!
    Yeah, I'm used to seeing puzzles that use weird aspects of the numbers aside from their actual value, like the number of "sticks" it takes to make the number if you write them out old calculator style or something, so the second one was pretty easy (something like 30 seconds). But the first one, I don't think I would have done within the time allotted.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

Solve for ?

Solution

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?

.....yeah

That is terrible

Yeah. The first room I did at that place was great. The 2nd and 3rd were pretty bad in that they both heavy on the "grope around in the low light dark for stuff and you can't turn bright lights on because BLACKLIGHTS ARE COOL, RIGHT?". This one had those 2 math heavy ones that made me look up and give the game master camera a "Are you serious?" look.

6 letter word lock. Each segment has all letters of the alphabet. THERE IS NO CLUE WHICH OBJECT IN THE ROOM APPLIES TO THIS.
    There is a Cabbage Patch kid on the bed. He is wearing a letter jacket with the initials "AR".
    Obviously the word lock solution is doll+ar, or "dollar". Keep in mind there was nothing at all pointing to any particular object. I wouldn't have solved this even if a neon arrow was pointing to the doll saying "LETTER LOCK SOLUTION HERE!!!!" Did they expect the players to seriously play dumb word games like this with every single object in the room??
    My favorite Escape Room IRL involved splitting the team into two jail cells, and the puzzles required both jail cells to shout out answers and clues to each other to solve the puzzles on each individual side. The result will get you an RC car in one cell and the battery/remote for the RC car in the other cell, which allows you to grab the keys (with a magnet) with the RC car. There was a LOT of collaboration going on, and that was great. Stuff like the code word positions on a page of a novel being written under the bed of one of the cells and the novel with the code words chained down in another cell, or handing keys to specific locks across the bars.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I got into the beta for the Through The Ages expansion. I'm pretty fucking excited about it.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Solve for ?

Solution

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?

.....yeah

That is terrible

My favorite Escape Room IRL involved splitting the team into two jail cells, and the puzzles required both jail cells to shout out answers and clues to each other to solve the puzzles on each individual side. The result will get you an RC car in one cell and the battery/remote for the RC car in the other cell, which allows you to grab the keys (with a magnet) with the RC car. There was a LOT of collaboration going on, and that was great. Stuff like the code word positions on a page of a novel being written under the bed of one of the cells and the novel with the code words chained down in another cell, or handing keys to specific locks across the bars.

I did a very similar one (I think it was a ball+magnet instead of a car). It was one of the large chains and was very well done.

edited April 2019
    I've always wanted to try out the Escape Room in Houston that simulates Apollo 13, in that one team is in a Spaceship Pod and the rest of the team is in Mission Control, trying to help them survive.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/07/apollo-13-escape-room-at-houston-escape-hunt-is-absolutely-delightful/

It looks amazing.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Solve for ?

Solution

1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

What does 8690 equal?

.....yeah

That is terrible

I did one where I started off separated and it was mostly sound proofed so we had to press things against a tiny window between the areas

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    For those that have played it, I have some questions about Gloomhaven-

1) How does it play with multiple groups? If I wanted to have 3 player game going with one group of friends and a 4 player game with my wife and another couple, would it result in a detrimental experience? Would it be better to play the same character in both groups, play someone else, or either is fine?

2) How long is a single unit of play? One adventure or whatever. Also curious about setup & tear down time.

3) If in a couple years I feel like breaking this out with my kids once they get old enough and doing a soft reset from the start, what sort of replayability is there?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Fishman wrote: »
    For those that have played it, I have some questions about Gloomhaven-

1) How does it play with multiple groups? If I wanted to have 3 player game going with one group of friends and a 4 player game with my wife and another couple, would it result in a detrimental experience? Would it be better to play the same character in both groups, play someone else, or either is fine?

It's a little tricky but not too bad. People who are sharing characters will need to track a bit of extra info on their sheet and do a bit more setup, but the game comes with sheets for that purpose. You'll need to decide if you're sharing a town/world map or not, and if you are it'll take a bit more bookkeeping to keep track of everything you've unlocked.
    2) How long is a single unit of play? One adventure or whatever. Also curious about setup & tear down time.

Out-of-the-box setup and teardown is rough, but you can make it a lot better with some cheap organization components. Missions run probably 1-3 hours? Ours tended towards the higher end of that but we were drunk and very distractable.
    3) If in a couple years I feel like breaking this out with my kids once they get old enough and doing a soft reset from the start, what sort of replayability is there?

Pretty complete. There are a few things that ask you to use pen on the board to track but you can just track those on paper, and there's a $9 sticker reset pack on Amazon. The pack opening developments are nowhere near as important in GH as they are in, say, Pandemic Legacy.

admanb on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    1. It's actually technically designed to support it. To answer this adequately, we sort of have to look at what the "permanent" modifications to the components are, namely: Stickers on the board marking what locations are available (as well as "global achievements"), and pen marks indicating the current prosperity of the town, and which locations have been visited. If you were to play this with multiple groups simultaneously I would definitely use a different character for each group. That way you keep your character level consistent with your group (which isn’t a big deal, but feels nice). Things that might be weird for either/both groups? New locations showing up on the board. The prosperity of the town growing. “World achievements” that might affect each other’s story. All of these are things are theoretically trackable separately without using the stickers (there are great apps for instance).

2. This scales linearly with player count, but I would say 45 per player. That said, my group of three routinely takes three hours to play a scenario, but they are both ... slow players. Setup and teardown is about 20 minutes apiece, but substantially less if you have a good organization system/insert.

3. So you could always just start new characters, restart the campaign, and if you had just the base box, you’d again be seeing locations on the map you shouldn't, have prosperity you haven’t earned, etc ...

OR. If you have a lot of the concerns I did, you could just go the really easy route of: Buying the removable sticker pack. Buying some erasable pens. And then it’s easily resettable (probably about an hour’s work when it comes to resorting cards).

Darric on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    A couple of concerns with multiple groups:

- you will have to construct and tear down each player's modifier deck when switching between groups. Would get annoying if you had to do it frequently. As a workaround, you could proxy extra copies of the modifier decks

- I find the plot in general and determining which scenarios are available is a bit of a head scratcher, with my single group that can only play once every month or two. If we also had another group running around locking and unlocking things in the same game world, that would be maddening. (Sometimes scenarios become permanently locked before you have a chance to play them)

Fry on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Also we have a dedicated Gloomhaven thread where you can get some more detailed answers. Good luck!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Fry wrote: »
    A couple of concerns with multiple groups:

- you will have to construct and tear down each player's modifier deck when switching between groups. Would get annoying if you had to do it frequently. As a workaround, you could proxy extra copies of the modifier decks

- I find the plot in general and determining which scenarios are available is a bit of a head scratcher, with my single group that can only play once every month or two. If we also had another group running around locking and unlocking things in the same game world, that would be maddening. (Sometimes scenarios become permanently locked before you have a chance to play them)

Oh yeah, this is a good point, I hadn't thought about the attack deck. :(

For what it's worth, I use an app called Gloomhaven Companion which tracks which scenarios we have available AND I maintain a google doc with a brief description of each one as it unlocks with the backstory to what it's all about. Because we ALWAYS forget.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We did teardowns of the player modifier deck every week because we didn't feel like tracking whose was whose and it was pretty painless.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    We did teardowns of the player modifier deck every week because we didn't feel like tracking whose was whose and it was pretty painless.

It's not too bad until characters are fairly high level provided you store the cards in some kind of coherent way.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

It's not too bad until characters are fairly high level provided you store the cards in some kind of coherent way.

Just make it a rule when you start out to write the contents of your decks on the back of the character sheet. This helps to track which cards you took at each level as well as what's in your combat deck, and only requires a brief initial time investment plus a tiny bit of maintenance each level.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Another backlog game knocked out: Tigris & Euphrates. I'm not sure how I feel about that one yet. It's interesting, but without fully grasping the strategies behind the scoring system, I don't quite know why I'm doing what I'm doing. Everyone finished the game feeling very confused. That game is going to take a few more plays to really form an opinion on.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Not sure how you'd feeling about trying a different game, but I tried Yellow & Yangtze last week, and liked it more than my first (and admittedly only) game of Tigris & Euphrates.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Another backlog game knocked out: Tigris & Euphrates. I'm not sure how I feel about that one yet. It's interesting, but without fully grasping the strategies behind the scoring system, I don't quite know why I'm doing what I'm doing. Everyone finished the game feeling very confused. That game is going to take a few more plays to really form an opinion on.

My group hated T&E for this reason

sig.gif
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

It's not a game that can be understood in a single play. It is a lifetime game that reveals more even after dozens of games.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

It's not a game that can be understood in a single play. It is a lifetime game that reveals more even after dozens of games.

When you can grab the tile from my hand, you will be ready.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    So, what does the entire GOTHAM CITY CHRONICLES package look like ? It looks like this. I'm pretty sure the Mueller Report is in there somewhere:

s8yoik99178k.jpg

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, so I found Gloomhaven on a flash sale for Easter at 25% cheaper than I've seen it anywhere in the country, so I found myself unable to resist. Threw in the removable sticker pack for halfprice.

So yeah, thanks for answering all my questions yesterday. It was much appreciated.

EDIT: Except by my wallet, of course.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Fishman wrote: »
    Yeah, so I found Gloomhaven on a flash sale for Easter at 25% cheaper than I've seen it anywhere in the country, so I found myself unable to resist. Threw in the removable sticker pack for halfprice.

So yeah, thanks for answering all my questions yesterday. It was much appreciated.

EDIT: Except by my wallet, of course.

My group has been playing our GH campaign for literally 14 months now, mostly every week. You will get your money's worth and then some.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I sure hope that Broken Token is coming out with an organizer for GOTHAM CITY, because otherwise, yikes. Part of the problem is that it's a Canadian game, so everything was printed twice.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I honestly can’t believe it’s taken this long for Gloom of Thrones to happen. The more I think about it, the more perfect if a fit it is.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    "Recommended number of players" might be a good stat to include.

For example, Aeon's End claims it plays 1-4, but IMO four players is kinda terrible (there's very little room to do any deckbuilding). Two or three is the best.

Sure, I'll add this in for my recommendations.

Flip City has kind of a sweet spot around 3, like Dominion, since pile size doesn't change and it runs out a little more quickly with 4, and you can create a hate machine at 2. But it's worked well for me at all player counts, including the 1-player solitaire mode (drop pile size to 4 apiece, discard a card from the market every time you shuffle your deck, win before they're all gone).

Quacks of Quedlinburg is a low-interaction optimization game. It doesn't lose a lot going down to 2, except that the moth arms race is a little starker.

Nusfjord is an Uwe game, and he's pretty good at making those scale up. Solo or 2-player there's a flip side to the action board that's much tighter, 4 and 5 players add a little copy strip so you can cram yourself into an occupied action (4) or one in each column (5). Extra village elders also come out at higher player counts, and the building display replenishes as well. There are some cute little punch tokens of various sidedness that denote who's first player and if something special happens on their turn. Just make sure to set them up counterclockwise so last player goes first next round.

(Caverna is kind of the grand champion of this, of course. Every player count adds something new and interesting to the game's base action setup, though at 6 and 7 the extra spaces are mostly just different in character and between-turn downtime gets kind of biiiiiiiiig.)

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Played five tribes for like the fiftieth time and we added a timer mechanic, points lost if the timer expired while it was your action. Much more intense, nearly as fun and half the time. Somebody handed somebody else four points by accident and then that person beat me 144-142!

sig.gif
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone a space cadets dice Duel fan? We got a board game playing bachelor party in May and was considering getting the expansion Die Fighter. Is it a good addition ?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Anyone a space cadets dice Duel fan? We got a board game playing bachelor party in May and was considering getting the expansion Die Fighter. Is it a good addition ?

I've only gotten the base game to the table once. The die fighter seems its own thing. I own it, but again, haven't used it. Also, I'd think the BGG promo stuff for the crystals might be more important? It's so weird that they include things in the base game purely to tease going out to BGG and buying them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
      I love it but haven't played nearly enough. It is a great addition if you have an alpha because you can give them that to do alone. Not mandatory can also do dinner best things like 1v1 or 2v4 on the big ship.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
      steam_sig.png
    • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      I have to say I wasn't massively overwhelmed by my first Gloomhaven play. It just all felt a bit... bitty? It probably didn't help it was a loss on the opening adventure.

However having spent today marathoning three adventures in a row I see now that it just needs some familiarity to really grow on you and I now feel quite invested in my character and keen for more. Again three wins for three adventures probably helps! And it does seem very good at having you win just as your cards are about to run out.

My guy is now looking at retirement already for needing three specific types of adventure, one of which now played immediately opened up two more qualifying options, but I'm not sure I want him to go so soon. But then the allure of the sealed mystery box is strong...

MhCw7nZ.gif