As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

19495969798100»

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    What kind of ass parks on the sidewalk?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    And in the continuing genre of mixing erotica and real estate, we have this promo video from Down Under that looks more like it's promoting...something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ge_xoCJdZ0

Yeah, it's SFW...but looks like it's on the verge of becoming, well, not.

Fuck me dead that house is ugly as shit. In ways that are difficult to hide with renovations, too. I bet it was the coolest house in the country for about 6 hours in 2011, though...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    What kind of ass parks on the sidewalk?

Where the driveway meets the footpath is too sharp of an angle to get a low-slung sports car like a Jaguar coupe over without scraping the underside of the car on the concrete, so if you're the type of young millionaire that would buy a house like that, then I also hope you're the type of young millionaire that would buy a Bentley SUV as a daily driver...

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    That is a COMMITMENT to black and white decor. In some impressively awful ways. Like what is even up with the entry walkway?

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That pool is cool, though. I like the little corridor of water for swimming lengths.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Front door is dope, though.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Janson wrote: »
    That pool is cool, though. I like the little corridor of water for swimming lengths.

Lap pools are neat, especially on smaller blocks, yeah.

Front door is dope, though.

The door itself is plenty nice (shame no glass in it to see through, though), but that black subway tile around the entryway? And why is it set so far back?

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Does anyone else get the feeling that owning a house is always two steps forward one step back?

We get something fixed then something else goes wrong!

New driveway is coming along nicely and everything is on time and then the path slabs are mysteriously lost by the stone mason company so now everything has been pushed back by a week.

A week doesn't sound much but we need the path done soon as my wife is due in 5 weeks :o

SharpyVII on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Definitely a way better video with this music:

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    1000% better. I'm actually interested in that awful house now.

TO DANCE

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Christ, California.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    that's a better house than some shithole shacks I've seen thrown up that are being sold for just their land

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Our heating has been off since the end of February and it’s amazing how perfect the house temp has been. Living in a temperate climate has definite benefits!

When it does get a little on the chilly side, we put on the gas fire for an hour or so (since the cats love it) and it’s amazing how warm that makes everything.

TheStig wrote: »

That is a cute little house that has a morgage payment nearly double my monthly paycheck. WHAT THE WHAT.

• Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

That is a cute little house that has a morgage payment nearly double my monthly paycheck. WHAT THE WHAT.

Location, Location, Location

It is right across the street from an Elementary and Middle school and just 2 miles from Venice Beach.

edited April 2019
    I looked at that zipcode and just...who makes enough money to afford these houses? I'm just astonished at that. Almost every house in the area was over $1M and under 2000 sq ft. A lot of them are one bath and under 1500 sq ft. It's just beyond comprehension, really.

N1tSt4lker on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You either buy it and live like shit till you can afford to renovate, or (more likely), you're rich so you buy it and knock it down and build something fancier. From where I'm living now, LA doesn't look too bad - that's a standalone house >1500 square feet for less than 2 million! Couldn't get near that in this town.

Last sold just 20 years ago for under $300k

Meanwhile I knew a lot of people in California whose salaries had been stagnant for 20 years

Also, I feel the need to point out that a 1500 sq ft house is, for me, not remotely living like shit. I looked through the pictures of several houses in that zip code and they're all really nice, very classy houses. I just...they're all over $1M. That's still completely mind-blowing to me. The housing market is a total scam.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Slacker71 wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

Location, Location, Location

It is right across the street from an Elementary and Middle school and just 2 miles from Venice Beach.

shit that's a fucking steal then

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have no goddamn idea what's going on right now. It sounds like my neighbor from two houses down has built one of the cities from Mortal Engines in their driveway and has been revving it for no particular reason for the past half hour. I assume there is some motorcycle-related reason for this, but if the noise is coming from a machine designed to go fast in an arbitrarily-chosen direction, I don't know why it has stayed within earshot for this long.

This sucks, and I hate it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wait, somebody saw mortal engines?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Read it, I'm afraid. Librarian. I read all kinds of YA bullshit I'd rather not.

Edit: To be clear, not all YA books are bullshit! Brandon Sanderson knocks out some great YA lit on the regular, and I really like Marissa Meyer's stuff. Mortal Engines was not very good, though.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Was it as a anti-Western culture series as the movie was? Surprised it's not a permanent feature at AMC.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have officially planted one of my banana trees in the ground:
    3tgBNPY.jpg

The other I'm keeping in the pot for now, in case the weather changes (again), so I'll at least have one that survives:
    9TCIeWH.jpg

Though that said, I think I picked a pretty good spot for where to plant the first one, with adequate shade, shelter, and drainage.

I also discovered that my raspberry is flowering for the first time:
    HWWeQa6.jpg

My strawberries are starting to show a light pink hue:
    MlqLoDu.jpg

All of my apple trees have baby apples on them:
    Hm4zMvG.jpg

Also, the fig tree I ordered was delivered:
    ushkoBT.jpg

It looks a little droopy because I had it in too direct sunlight. I moved it to a shadier spot before taking this picture.

Also since I now have both a grape vine and a fig tree, this song has been running through my head continuously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEqnXNsAFL8

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Listing a property as "luxury" or "upscale" when it has a shitty old coil stove should be illegal.

Also, it seems like you need $50,000+ in money lying around to buy a house around here.

It's depressing to know that I'd be paying $1,000 less per month if I wasn't renting, but getting there, where I can afford a down payment and closing costs might still be too expensive. Christ.

Maybe I need to get married just to have a 2nd person's income before I can consider living in a house I own.

Maybe when I'm 65 I'll be able to afford it. Maybe I'll just live in a fancy paper box

I completely understand those feels. I’m still not sure how people can save enough while also renting, especially people with kids and/or student loans.

We were fortunate that buying with 0% down was a viable option in our area.

We wouldn't have been able to own without family help. I don't know how other people save that much, either.

Oh yeah, if it wasn't for my partner I'd probably be homeless.
    Houses are just too expensive in every way.

Coworker bought a house for a similar price to us (though considerably smaller); anyway, she’s already found some maaaajor issues. Seems like her inspector really let her down. Ugh, I feel so sorry for her.

We’re getting quotes for the outside of our house! If you can remember from when we bought, our inspectors (who seem to have been right on the money so far) told us we’d need a couple of the (non-structural) window beams replaced (there’s some fungi growing in the beams in the back of the house), and the siding caulked and re-painted to seal it all up for next winter. They said they’d expect it to be about a $5k job and we have $6k saved so I really hope they’re right.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.