As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Is feed busted or is feed / reaper / bad blood / magic flower all busted?

I feel like ironclad is so good because of all the heals and never having to block until, like, the heart elites

Whomever a dozen pages back said the next character needs to be a cleric....hasn't been playing the ironclad which is already a cleric?

Edit: a cleric with a cowboy hat

Burtletoy on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Just feed is busted. Or rather, large amounts of Max hp is busted, but ironclad has feed and exhume, which can lead to stuff like +16 Max hp from one act 3 fight.

Which is insane.

I'd go so far as to call feed abuse the single most reliable way to beat the heart at a20

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just had a run going with Ironclad that died to the Ghost boss. I was upset because I had a 1st shop Greed and was making serious bank. And, AND! I even fought and defeated THREE Elites! :(

You ever had one of those runs where you were loving how things were going only to fall flat later on? I hate those runs.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just had a run going with Ironclad that died to the Ghost boss. I was upset because I had a 1st shop Greed and was making serious bank. And, AND! I even fought and defeated THREE Elites! :(

You ever had one of those runs where you were loving how things were going only to fall flat later on? I hate those runs.

This is basically all the interesting Silent runs I've had since going back to playing as her, yes.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I don't understand. I do so much worse with Ironclad/Defect.

Does someone know if they still have visible stats for the three characters? I swear I read a thing back when I was much newer at the game that suggested Silent had the lowest win rate at A20, and that idea boggles my mind if it's true.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I had an insane run last night, started out as a poison deck, got Pandora’s Box for my first boss treasure as Silent and it left my deck completely without block, but I ended up with two Bullet Times

So I ended up buying block cards when I saw them and just killed things before they could do much damage by playing like 10 cards per turn

Second boss treasure I YOLO’d Snekko Eye and started buying the most expensive cards I could find

Then I got prismatic shard and it just got silly, bought Sunder and Glacier, I can’t remember it all

I got the Neow event that halves your health and gives you apparition cards, but I also had the relic that gives you max health when you’re cursed, so when I got the event that lets you make a wish I chose I Am Rich and got super cursed, along with a bunch of other curses (I had some shame.)

Ended up getting my health almost back to normal with a shitton of apparition and made it to the Heart with two ghosts in jars, beat it almost without taking damage

It was a wild ride, sometimes throwing caution to the wind and doing something crazy pays off

joshofalltrades on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't understand. I do so much worse with Ironclad/Defect.

Does someone know if they still have visible stats for the three characters? I swear I read a thing back when I was much newer at the game that suggested Silent had the lowest win rate at A20, and that idea boggles my mind if it's true.

I'm still stuck on A17 with the Ironclad

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have never made an Ironclad block deck work, by the time I’m getting close to finding the things I need I’m dead

strength scaling is the only way I can win

I have never made an Ironclad block deck work, by the time I’m getting close to finding the things I need I’m dead

strength scaling is the only way I can win

Or Corruption + Dead Branch, of course, which even I agree is basically the most bogus deck in the game lol

Steam profile
    Never been lucky enough to find that!

Corpse Explosion is rull good at killing the Act 4 Elites btw

A18 w/Ironclad (finally) defeated!

t08i5i9r9q5z.png

Limit Break+ along with Spot Weakness for Str buffs. Sword Boomerangs and Pummels for damage. FNPx3 meant taking every Exhaust card I could find to survive. Got the 999 gold event on Act 3 and drained back-to-back shops of their inventory going into the Time Eater.

The deck had just enough jank to get the win with only a few HP left. But I'll take it!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    ugh, you've surpassed my Ironclad rank now Dover. I need to catch up!

(Actually you did it earlier, I'm still on A17 with Ironclad, but I didn't notice it earlier)

Steam profile
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Those were pretty difficult ranks for me as well; upping the damage / time to kill on routine fights makes Ironclad actually-susceptible to attrition, which is a big change.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I had a lot of relics, and 4 Metallicize

KubunQP.jpg?1

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Depression is kicking my arse again and boy has it shown in my play - I've noticed recently i think my drafting has been generally on point, but my actual execution of drafting? whoooboy.

On the upside, i did finally manage to squeak out another win! 57 A20 heart kills now.

Pretty standard Runic Pyramid/Apparition deck, with the trick of having fuck all for damage (at least by boss killing standards). The heart fight went for 17 turns, eesh. Awoken one was 19, and time eater was 21 turns. Literally would have been unwinabble without Nilry's coming through for Wraith Forms & Nightmares.

Did perfect an elite on 6 hp, so that was cool. Not sure Cenntinel puzzle was the right buy - i had the choice between that, a second copy of Burst, or Oddly Smooth Stone, and the one of those that was right... eeesh. Hard to tell. I think gunning for the extra card draw was the right chocie, but ???
    521638B0490EB684D28C225A21896B18718F0377

Might go live shortly after posting this, so you know, tune in.

@Auralynx

So i did yer seed!

It may have involved a reload on every boss because i'm incapable of math or hitting the right buttons. Also i way under-drafted on defensive cards? I dunno, seed was definitely awkward. Ended up playing a "Get all the energy, necronomicon skewer for massive damage" Which was a thing. Also you get to watch me get blindsided by the mobs not following the expected AI because it's low Asc. This happens repeatedly and results in several misplays,it's great!

I think my big takeways were - Taking Ectoplasm sucks, but a fourth energy was nice (the other choice was White Beast Statue, but with a skewer and Wraith form in the deck, it wasn't really a choice). And... skipping Runic Pyramid when you have wraith forms is just crazy. Even if you already have a Well Laid Plans+ in the deck - it's free to cast, so who cares? Runic Pyramid is crazytown. It's like the second best relic behind Snecko eye. (though it's way, way harder to make work and results in a lot more mental gymnastics). Not meant to be rude! So sincere apologies if my tone is a bit goosey, i'm tired as i type this.

But yeah, being able to hold your wraith forms + whatever else and deploy them at will is so, so strong. So much stronger than needing to draw Well Laid Plans, play that, then find and hold what you had. Also it turns on Grand Finale, at least if you can do math. (I cannot do math), But that's a pretty big thing - Grand Finale is actually really good when you can play it consistently. (And it is good in ways that Ruinc Pyramid cares about, being a free to cast card).

Also that getting Fossilised Helix was such a high role you should have gone nuts with the pathing in Act 1. 4 elites was a liiiitttle mad, but hey it worked.
    2C6581E0F7CC0A0875E804108D4E86052F0EC52E

I hope this is useful/informative as a compare/contrast at least.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    this sort of seed comparison with logic is hugely useful to A12/A10/A13 players like me!

sig.gif
    this sort of seed comparison with logic is hugely useful to A12/A10/A13 players like me!

Well while it's not something i want to do all the time, I'm happy to do it on occasion! So feel free to post a seed and ask me to take a crack it (ideally, let me know what whale bonus you picked and nothing else, as having extra info on the seed gives me a big advantage)

edited April 2019
    I'm far from as skilled as Zombie, but I also like doing the occasional seeded comparison run, so if people really do want to explore that more just call it out~

[edit]
    It'll also get me playing/posting more often. I've falled down the Enter The Gungeon well, so that's supplanting my "quick throwaway game inside of an hour" time at the moment. :P

ArcticLancer on
    You appear to have routed differently enough to end up with a way better deck period - did you end up with the Regret I had to carry? That was the biggest reason it was difficult to leverage the Helix.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

kime wrote: »

(Actually you did it earlier, I'm still on A17 with Ironclad, but I didn't notice it earlier)

As I was saying...
    1cse1yk27hlp.png

Steam profile
    edited April 2019
    A1918 done w/the Silent!

qre87oh3z2n6.png

You know what's really unfair? Upgraded Doppleganger & Malaise with Burst+, Chemical X, and Odd-Shaped Spoon.

Poison was stacking for days (and stacking extra when it stacked), 0-mana +3 card/mana next turn (that might not exhaust), and -3 Attack/Weak (that might not exhaust), and potentially 0-cost cards for days. Yeah...this deck was busted.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    *cough* 18. ;P
    Kudos in multiple respects. I've still never been in a position to meaningfully use Odd-Shaped Spoon, and that deck is phenomenal for it. Must've been good fun indeed.

edited April 2019
    Auralynx wrote: »
    You appear to have routed differently enough to end up with a way better deck period - did you end up with the Regret I had to carry? That was the biggest reason it was difficult to leverage the Helix.

@Auralynx Going over the run history, it dosent look like i was ever offered Regret. I wouldn't have taken it anyway - Curses are bad, outside of very niche situations that involve abusing blue candle. The payoff for them has to be immense for me to take them - Usually this means a shop straight away to remove it at, or the Warped Tongs event (Which is ridic strong). Mind Bloom is another contender, though that one's tricky

Notable abuses: Pain/Rupture + Reaper (Blue Candle to let you remove pain when it's unsafe, Runic Pyramid to let you go maximum shenanigans)
    Necronomicurse + Blue Candle with any or all of Rupture/Feel No Pain/Self Forming Clay - Fun trick here, Blue Candle ignores Velvet Choker's limitations. Unlimited block for only 1 hp per cast!
    Writhe + Blue Candle + Centinnel Puzzle for an extra 2 cards on turn 1 (You loose 1 draw to having Writhe)

To my knowledge the only curses you can get with no choice in the matter are Decay (Gremlin Wheel event) or Parasite (Tangled Mass). Every other curse involves some element of choice (I.e choosing to take Cursed Key, etc).

@MNC Dover While i wince at the act 1 broken crown, that is a hella sweet deck and you should feel hella proud. Very nice work, especially for identifying what your deck was doing that was Stronk and leaning into it!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Yeah, I no longer remember how I came by the Regret, but that screwed things up royally for me there even with a blue candle. NBD, just thought I'd ask.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Since when does blue candel ignore velvet choker?

In my experiences you one hundred percent cannot blue candle a curse if you have already played 6 cards.

If you do the candle first it doesn't count towards the 6? It also counts towards the time eaters 12 so that seems like a glitch that should be fixed

I took the Broken Crown because at that point I already had Burst, Malaise, Bouncing Flask, Footwork, and Catalyst. Didn't think I'd need much more and would abuse the shops for extra stuff (the 50g Mask was awful helpful there).

As per usual, I am an Elite coward after Act 1. Although with this run it felt justified. Even with such a strong deck, taking on Elites felt like an unnecessary risk with most Relics not really enhancing my run. Pen Nib and Bronze Scales were bought at the store because I had cash to burn and no shops left.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Auralynx wrote: »

@Auralynx Going over the run history, it dosent look like i was ever offered Regret. I wouldn't have taken it anyway - Curses are bad, outside of very niche situations that involve abusing blue candle. The payoff for them has to be immense for me to take them - Usually this means a shop straight away to remove it at, or the Warped Tongs event (Which is ridic strong). Mind Bloom is another contender, though that one's tricky

Notable abuses: Pain/Rupture + Reaper (Blue Candle to let you remove pain when it's unsafe, Runic Pyramid to let you go maximum shenanigans)
    Necronomicurse + Blue Candle with any or all of Rupture/Feel No Pain/Self Forming Clay - Fun trick here, Blue Candle ignores Velvet Choker's limitations. Unlimited block for only 1 hp per cast!
    Writhe + Blue Candle + Centinnel Puzzle for an extra 2 cards on turn 1 (You loose 1 draw to having Writhe)

To my knowledge the only curses you can get with no choice in the matter are Decay (Gremlin Wheel event) or Parasite (Tangled Mass). Every other curse involves some element of choice (I.e choosing to take Cursed Key, etc).

@MNC Dover While i wince at the act 1 broken crown, that is a hella sweet deck and you should feel hella proud. Very nice work, especially for identifying what your deck was doing that was Stronk and leaning into it!

My current defect run took crown at first boss cause I had 5(!) Ball lightnings and one thunder strike and I felt I could leverage that into a win.

I might've restarted two or three times and then closed the game when I misclicked a potion and stopped playing (I very often discard a potion in fights instead of drinking it. Should maybe ask 'ae you sure?' or something...)

But I still think it's a solid deck that....probably can't beat the heart because of the 200hp shield

edited April 2019
    Burtletoy wrote: »

In my experiences you one hundred percent cannot blue candle a curse if you have already played 6 cards.

If you do the candle first it doesn't count towards the 6? It also counts towards the time eaters 12 so that seems like a glitch that should be fixed

No idea, but it does - Joinrbs has done it on stream several times. It's totally a glitch, but it exists and at least carries some cost so i feel okay using it.

@Auralynx Ah yup, that makes sense

@MNC Dover BE BRAVER. FIGHT THE ELITES

That said, i think i'd actually agree with you there - That's a powerful deck, but it's kinda icky for act 2 elites. Act 3 elites it should be okay, thoguh Reptomancer would probably be a disaster. Makes sense re: Broken Crown.

Gonna go live, come and join for some Easter Spire Slaying. We're going to make the spire die for our sins.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Well, i slew the spire alright. 58 times have i slain it!

More specifically, i reduced the spire to a FROZEN WASTELAND OF BROKEN VASCULAR DREAMS because boy, i was one icy defect. Also i got 999 block against the heart, and the awoken one. You know. Like you do. Oh, and make sure to do it on 3 energy with only 15 relics. It's about sending a message.

Champ fight got a little hairy, but only because i was being a punk about it. Still! Good demonstration of RUnic Pyramid is crazy and turns on so many things, Blizzard is incredibly strong when you get rolling (To be fair, this is like one of the best blizzard decks i've had in a while), and holding potions till the heart can be real good (I held two focus pots... the heart uh, well. Yeah. Look, feel sympathy for it's musculature, okay? It's having a worse day than i am, and i'm chronically depressed!).

Decklist, various silly screenshots, and VoD below. I'm still going, so come and join!
    43E1F1A0B95038592A28E8DE4183E91F102417BBIt's about sending a message.A17A384205F984BE431E84617ABD30860439D4E1I T S A B O U T S E N D I N G A M E S S A G E442954137577A820BCBCE89E23D97DAE61A3684C

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Burtletoy wrote: »

No idea, but it does - Joinrbs has done it on stream several times. It's totally a glitch, but it exists and at least carries some cost so i feel okay using it.

Using Blue Candle to remove a Curse doesn’t increment Choker only in the case of Nexronomicurse. All other curse removals do count towards things like Snail and Choker. The reason, as far as I can tell, is that since that Curse cannot be removed from your deck, it doesn’t count as having been “played.” It’s kind of the same thing as not being able to buy potions anymore at shops when you have Sozu - it just so happens that Necro and Blue Candle gives you an infinite exhaust trick that the Ironclad can exploit really well with Feel No Pain, Charon’s Ashes, etc.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    Just had an A19 Defect run fall short on the Act 2 Bronze Automaton boss. For relics, I had Gold-Plated Cables, Nuclear Battery, and the Runic Capacitor for Orb synergy. For cards, I had x3 Ball Lightning, x2 Coolheaded, Glacier, Doom & Gloom, x2 Equilibrium, Rainbow, and Panacea+.

All I need was 1 Biased Cognition (or any Focus) and I think I could have beaten the game. So frustrating when you have everything you need except scaling!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JaguarJaguar Registered User new member
    So I bought this game yesterday, it's fun but I don't understand the goal?

I killed the heart with the ironclad and it unlocked ascension level 1. Is there a point to doing standard runs with the ironclad anymore, or is Ascension where I'm supposed to play?

Jaguar wrote: »
    So I bought this game yesterday, it's fun but I don't understand the goal?

I killed the heart with the ironclad and it unlocked ascension level 1. Is there a point to doing standard runs with the ironclad anymore, or is Ascension where I'm supposed to play?

It depends on what you want to do. It's a Roguelike, so generally replaying and unlocking more and trying harder and harder difficulties is what you'd do, yeah.

There are 20 Ascension levels. Some of them increase the difficulty a lot. There are also 3 characters, and each one levels Ascension independently (so you've unlocked A1, but only for the Ironclad).

Generally, the most common thing to do would be to try and unlock Ascensions to 20 and beat it with each character. That's not hard and will take a significant amount of time. At A20, then, you can have fun with the challenge of trying to win. Winning is very hard. Winning at A20 is hard even for people that have put hundreds or 1000+ hours into the game. If you want less of a challenge, you can go to any lower ascension, or no ascension, for whatever challenge you want.

There's a leaderboard for scores, so you can try to get the top score every week if that's your thing.

When you say you "killed the heart," do you mean that you beat the Act 3 boss and attacked the heart to see your score? There may be more to the game than that if you play enough (and with the other characters), which is also a fun new challenge ;)

Steam profile

As I was saying...
    1cse1yk27hlp.png

A18 done! Two more to go for Ironclad!
    419dedzdqy5i.png

Steam profile
    I'm only up to asc 10 for this run but I feel like this could have taken 20.

lFAxA5m.jpg?1

I got dead branch, dramatic enterance, and feel no pain within the first couple floors. Along with 2 reaper and lots of strength I was maxing my health pretty much every floor by the 3rd level.

Marbles and mutagen and frog is a pretty good first turn

edited April 2019
    Yeah I had a brutal first turn. The crown is not my favorite +energy, but the +2 max health instead of a card made up for it.

New run, I can't even spend my energy.

7G7Zxf9.jpg?1

and yeah, that was an easy win

TheStig on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I must be missing something. Was there something in your discard pile (from headbutt) that allowed you to do 592 damage? (some X card maybe?)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett