As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    None of your points really diminish the fact that Mental Onslaught is exceptionally more powerful than similar psychic powers. We're not having this discussion about Mind War or Mirror of Minds because neither of them are likely to do double digits' worth of mortal wounds, no matter the circumstances.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    It's probably not even worth arguing about. There is probably a 0.1% chance that doesn't get FAQ'ed somehow to create a hard stop condition that doesn't let it infinitely cascade.

Completely unrelated I started listening to the audio book Dark Imperium. I'm a Guilliman fanboy so it seemed like a good idea. Not disappointed.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    None of your points really diminish the fact that Mental Onslaught is exceptionally more powerful than similar psychic powers. We're not having this discussion about Mind War or Mirror of Minds because neither of them are likely to do double digits' worth of mortal wounds, no matter the circumstances.

Though I wonder if the stats would actually favour Mindwar - one good roll causes a big package of damage rather than having to win multiple rounds. Against characters where you want to win 3 rounds with Onslaught, against a target with good Ld and assume no other boosting. 25% chance I think of getting 3+dmg assuming equal LD, whilst Mental Onslaught would need three rounds at 33% to do the same.

And isn't Mirror of Minds the same power but with a 24" range? No hardstop in their errata and the enemy has to roll higher rather than equal to stop the cascade. It's better than the Genestealer one. Pretty sure Eldar can do some pretty fearsome Ld debuffs too.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Mirror of Minds is just a roll-off, it doesn't factor leadership in at all. It's weaker than Smite on average.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Ah, had misread that. Could see it going either way - if Minds is worse than smite, maybe it gets boosted. Maybe Onslaught goes down to meet it or just sticks with unmodified Ld. After A Perfect Plan and Agents of Vect, I think all bets are off - I reckon it'll just remain a thing.

On another note, the terms and conditions of the survey lottery has revealed that Sisters box is going to be £35 (same as chaos space marines) and the army is £250. Same as 7 boxes.

Or

Two sisters boxes - £70
    One Rhinos/Immolators - £35
    One Seraphin set - £35
    Penitent Engine £30
    Heavy weapons - £32.5
    Exorcist - £32.5
    Three characters - 3x £15 (or Celestine + 1)

Which seems quite a small new release. Wondering if I need to readjust my expectations away from a Genestealer cult/Admech release.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I mean, sisters dont really have a whole lot of units. They've got a lot of various sister flavours, some rhinos, and some characters.
    They had to bring the ENTIRE range into plastic, so I didn't really expect them to go nuts with adding new units, like say, chaos (update a few units, make a few new ones).
    And they released the beta codex. They're not going to suddenly add a bunch of new stuff that's not in the beta codex. That defeats their whole testbed idea of trying beta codexes.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Well this is what I was saying before, hoping that we'd get new kits and wondering why they were wasting their time redoing the vehicles that are already plastic.

But apparently that's being a "negatory necron" so whatever.

I don't think the Beta Codex should have any impact on adding new units, it would have been smart to have us proxy new models and test their rules but we all know GW. Even the "new GW" wouldn't share that kind of information or encourage that kind of policy.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say you're a negatory necron... Maybe a Contrary Commissar.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I'm personally hoping for at least two new kits and for the infantry box to be very multi-role with sprues packed with options.

Right now 90% of a Sisters army is composed of the same infantry models with the same weapon choices in slightly different proportions. One robust box of infantry covers it, there is no need for another separate "heavy weapons box" taking up 30 GBP of the 250. Also a Penitent Engine currently costs 20 GBP in metal so estimating the plastic one at 30 seems high, ditto for the Rhino/Immolator kit.

It would be a huge mistake to just redo all the metal models in plastic without adding anything new. I admit this is a mistake I can easily see GW committing but I'm really hoping they surprise me.

• Options
    I was basing the cost of the engine off the cost of the AdMech Dunestriders, I don't imagine the new models will be in any way subtle or understated. Single sprue ork buggy is pretty similar cost as well.

• Options
    What I'm mainly learning from the event I'm at today is that I suck with Harlequins. They're so incredibly fragile.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    What I'm mainly learning from the event I'm at today is that I suck with Harlequins. They're so incredibly fragile.

Glass missiles.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

They’re overcosted. I mean, they’re terrifying if the can get to 6” or closer. But T3 and 4++ only gets you so far

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

They’re overcosted. I mean, they’re terrifying if the can get to 6” or closer. But T3 and 4++ only gets you so far

I kind of felt like their biggest problem was that when run as a mono-Codex list they have zero objective control. They're fast, but they're too expensive to spare units to capping points and too fragile to survive defending them.

Dropping some points wouldn't go amiss, though. Like, there's no way that a Shadowseer should cost more than a Farseer, and I still have no idea why the Neuro Disruptor is so bloody expensive.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Maybe someone at gw still hasn't realised that the disruptor isn't a flamer-like gun anymore

Edit: wait, was it ever or was that only the callidus gun?

honovere on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    As 40k boyz are super old janky sculpts, I picked up some AOS stuff to convert for my 40k army...

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Bonesplitterz Orruks have absolutely amazing sculpts and they're scaled so much better... with some 40k bits and bobs glued on they look like feral Primaris Orks. I'll post some photos when I've got them all slapped together but so far I'm sooooo impressed.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I thought about doing a feral Ork army with Squiggoths as counts as Trukks, but the cost involved would be pretty insane.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    As 40k boyz are super old janky sculpts, I picked up some AOS stuff to convert for my 40k army...

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Bonesplitterz Orruks have absolutely amazing sculpts and they're scaled so much better... with some 40k bits and bobs glued on they look like feral Primaris Orks. I'll post some photos when I've got them all slapped together but so far I'm sooooo impressed.

Well I got some ork boys and other things last summer as part of deal someone had I was kind of amazed outside of the nob/special spure it was the orks I knew of

Eldar for the most part are the oldest range and need help

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/21/coming-next-week-slaanesh-rises/

Lots of stuff crammed into a single week.

Love shalaxi's colour scheme.

• Options
    The hybrid Aeldari faction of the Ynnari are the subject of a fascinating Index Xenos article. It kicks off with a detailed background section that summarises the seismic events of Wake the Dead and the Fracture of Biel-Tan, and the rite of awakening that stirred Ynnead, the God of the Dead, into being.

Afterwards, you can check out the extensive bestiaries on Yvraine, the Visarch and the Yncarne – Ynnead’s emissary, sword and avatar respectively. Of course, no Index would be complete without shiny new rules, so you’ll also be treated to new datasheets for the three aforementioned characters and 17 powerful Stratagems, as well as 6 each of the following: Warlord Traits, Relics of Ynnead, Tactical Objectives and psychic powers from the Revenant discipline.

Oh no

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Well it'll be like the Sisters beta codex, even with good strategems and relics if you break the strong base army-wide rule you weaken the army overall.

Edit: I hope, lol. Given the Eldar track record this could be bad, yea.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    GW overreacts to the Sisters feedback, which they are rewriting faith points completely off of right now, and leaves power of death exactly like it was a the index release. There are nothing but Ynnari players for the next year.

Edit: Also it is fascinating to watch how Tau are now topping tables consistently with Orks, Eldar/DE, and Chaos Daemons.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    What shifted things for the Tau? Lot of large single models in the meta, or just a few point rebalances?

• Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    What shifted things for the Tau? Lot of large single models in the meta, or just a few point rebalances?

They are good counters to knights. But CA gave them a lot of points to use in their list. And they had a good foundation already. Ad Mech was similar. Also people figured out how to abuse drones.

A lot of good list have 3xRiptides surrounded by like 20 shield drones taking all the wounds and protecting them from charges. Their infantry are okay. And they can build a brigade pretty easily.

Lots of good tools. Cheaper after CA. Good counters to hordes and knights in similar units. Drones, drones, and more drones.

Seriously drones are kind of crazy broken at the moment. The key point to fighting Tau are killing the drones in turn 1 or 2 to let you kill the important things like riptides, broadsides, and so on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    people have figured out that if you ignore the castellan turn 1 and just delete the rest of the lightly armored vehicles first, AM tends to lose a lot of their ability to kill infantry

also shield drones are mega busted and the army as a whole got about 15% cheaper after CA

• Options
    It's interesting the castellan list has lost a lot of its dominating presence. But it is still really really good.

Just folks have built an entire meta to counter it. The high level list just bring almost no good targets for the knight.

The big daemon list brings a Khorne Prince with the knight mudering axe. It can one turn a knight. Even a castellan when its gets into combat.

It just rips up the titanic stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If I brought a knight with the melta cannon and chainsword, that wouldn't be too OP, would it?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    It's interesting the castellan list has lost a lot of its dominating presence. But it is still really really good.

Just folks have built an entire meta to counter it. The high level list just bring almost no good targets for the knight.

The big daemon list brings a Khorne Prince with the knight mudering axe. It can one turn a knight. Even a castellan when its gets into combat.

I'm still hoping it gets hit by the FAQ. The Imperial Doom list might not be winning quite as many tournaments but it completely shits on any list not designed specifically to fight it.

• Options
    If I brought a knight with the melta cannon and chainsword, that wouldn't be too OP, would it?

the only knight anybody would reasonably consider busted are the castellan

the crusader and gallant are both top notch but reasonably balanced

everything else is some varying degree of it's fine to massively overcosted trashfire

• Options

I'm still hoping it gets hit by the FAQ. The Imperial Doom list might not be winning quite as many tournaments but it completely shits on any list not designed specifically to fight it.

If they get the nerf that play testers alluding to you will get your hope.

I wish the damn FAQ will drop.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Storage question.. has anyone ever magnetized the bases of their models for storage/transport?

I'm thinking of options for building a magnetized case, as I already have a couple of hardcases, but transporting anything that's not a stock sized marine model is a pain. And anything with pokey bits ('stealers/orks) constantly gets caught on the foam.

I'm thinking of taking my plastic case and either lining it with thin gauge stainless steel or with those thin magnetic sheets you can get at business supply stores, then super gluing magnets to the bases of all my models.

Anyone with experience or suggestions with this type of set up?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I just used dense foam or cut a profile for it

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    For my SAGA armies, I used the roll up magnetic material, glued to the bottom of a sturdy box. My figures were all based on metal washers, and never once had a problem with them shifting around. Yes, the figures themselves are all plastic, and quite lightweight, but, the basing material was sand and/or grout, so, they had a little heft. Hope that helps.

• Options
    Watcher wrote: »
    For my SAGA armies, I used the roll up magnetic material, glued to the bottom of a sturdy box. My figures were all based on metal washers, and never once had a problem with them shifting around. Yes, the figures themselves are all plastic, and quite lightweight, but, the basing material was sand and/or grout, so, they had a little heft. Hope that helps.

That does help.. I figured I'd have to use magnets on magnets, but washers on magnetic sheets is a good idea.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I glue little magnets to the underside of my mini bases and carry them around in a baking tray complete with lid

looks a little weird but works great. Kinda heavy, I suppose, but I'm only transporting around ~20 minis at a time

• Options

What's the nerf that play testers are alluding to?

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

What's the nerf that play testers are alluding to?

They can't say.

But basically what I keep hearing is: Castellan meta is going to be dead. Expect a major rearrangement of the meta. And that a lot of stuff doing well now may not be doing well afterwards. But again a lot of these folks are some of the top tier table players so small changes cause big ripples in their universe.

My guess though:

Topping rotate ion shields at a 4++ like warp surge.
    Castellan going up in points.
    Shifts to guard or cp usage some where.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Eh, I've heard a lot of that vague "everything will change" stuff before, especially from the Frontline Gaming crowd, and they've always been wildly wrong in their predictions in the previous FAQs and CAs.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Not weirder just I am far more curious what it is they are hyping

This discussion has been closed.