As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    It's also boring as fuuuuuck

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    eh, I didn't mind it

though I did cap every class in under a year and a half so my tolerance for grind might be higher than most

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Miqo'te
    Blue mage is a collectathon class. You can also mess around on it and do silly things like all Blue Mage parties. You won't be able to do the MSQ in Stormbringer with them however.

Caedwyr on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I think you meant to say Shadowblood.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Its the one about the angry sword.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    stormshadow, the realm beneath the shadow-bo-bado-banana-fana-fo-fadowdarkfell

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Au Ra
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Its the one about the angry sword.
    I didn't know Odin had his own expansion.

Madican on
    Larlar
    Re: post ARR minor loose plot end involving angry sword
    I hope they go back and do more with Odin someday, I have been told they haven't yet done that. I think he's canonically still wandering around the Shroud possessing whoever last defeated him and nobody knows how to stop him?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Re: post ARR minor loose plot end involving angry sword
    I hope they go back and do more with Odin someday, I have been told they haven't yet done that. I think he's canonically still wandering around the Shroud possessing whoever last defeated him and nobody knows how to stop him?
    Yeah, the problem is the sword can pull people in from a distance, and there's only so many people with the echo around who can safely handle it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i fucking love hildibrand so much

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    So, Fashion Report. It seemed fairly simple this week, all my characters have Leonhart Jacket, getting Brand-New Gloves is a simple matter of having a level 15 physical DPS class, and the earring and ring were both free for characters that started in Ul'dah but took being high-level enough to equip gear for other characters (can't wear the purple earring until level 29, black ring seems to be minimum of 49).

Basically my goal isn't to just have the car. I already got that. My goal is to have the car on as many alts as possible.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    So I'm reading conflicting reports.

Are the atma shards or whatever random drops from ANY fate in their designated areas, or only from certain ones?

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Javen wrote: »
    So I'm reading conflicting reports.

Are the atma shards or whatever random drops from ANY fate in their designated areas, or only from certain ones?

Any Fate in the specific area, as long as you’ve got the Zenith weapon equipped.

IKknkhU.gif
    Roegadyn
    The only thing I disliked about the last fight of the original Heavensward campaign is that I didn't get to stab Zephirin in the throat myself.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    turtleant wrote: »
    So fun story about Blue Mage.

If you have a caster at a high enough level to one shot lvl49-50 enemies, you can

1: cast a damaging spell at them, preferably with some distance to the target that will one shot them
    2: switch to Blue Mage immediately after the cast, before you get marked as in combat
    3: monster dies, and because of how server tics work, BLU will get credited for the kill and get a shit load of xp because of their inherent boost

You can actually do this with any class, but the amount of xp normal classes get from overworld monsters is to small to be worth it.

DO NOT DO THIS.

The devs have classified this as an exploit, so you can get in serious trouble potentially.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Way to read the thread, bud.
    https://twinfinite.net/2019/01/blue-mage-exploit-ffxiv-cant-fix/
    “We are making the investigation and addressing of this issue a high priority, but as explained above, it involves changing the core structure of the EXP gaining method, making it difficult to address with a mere hotfix. Currently, we are aiming to address this issue with Patch 5.0.

As a result, using this method for leveling would normally be classified as an exploit, but since we were not able to address this promptly despite it being a known issue, we will not be issuing any penalties for players who are leveling in this way. However, since this was not the intended design, we do not recommend engaging in this behavior, and encourage players to level in the intended fashion.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we thank you for your patience and understanding.”

X22wmuF.jpg
    Lalafell
    Javen wrote: »
    The only thing I disliked about the last fight of the original Heavensward campaign is that I didn't get to stab Zephirin in the throat myself.

He’s a DPS check, so he’s one of the few you get to directly attack in the battle. So that’s nice.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I hit 50 today! I don't have the xpacks yet, so this is cap for me.
    Now to grind out the rest of the main story to get the FFXV car! m2ozijym55a9.jpg

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    You only have to beat Ultima Weapon for it, so if you hit 50 you should be close.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Roegadyn
    I’d much rather have the Fenrir bike, but it’s very expensive

• MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    I hit 50 today! I don't have the xpacks yet, so this is cap for me.
    Now to grind out the rest of the main story to get the FFXV car! m2ozijym55a9.jpg

That outfit looks amazing!

Larlar
    The car is very dumb but I am also vulnerable to limited time availability psychology

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    It just nice to have more multiple seat mounts. I play primarily with my wife and I’m kinda bored my wedding and draught chocobos. The mounts are pretty useful is someone needs to get up to get something.

On a similar not why is Twintania, the ultimate reward for refer a friend, a huge dragon and something with the word twin in the name, not a two seater?

Lalafell
    honestly, I've never quite understood Twintania's name. In no game that I've seen does Twintania look like a twin anything.

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I just started this and I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm level 9 and I'm a big lady with a sword??

I mean this as sincerely as possible but does the game ever deviate from standard MMO trappings? I'm honestly not huge on MMOs and I'm playing some 30 day trial I was gifted - I like the art design, but so far it seems post-WoW MMO to me.

Larlar
    it is very post-WoW MMO
    the big distinguishing feature is having an actual story like a final fantasy game, although that doesn't really pick up for a while after the opening cutscene after creating a character.

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2019
    Lalafell
    I'm honestly not sure what standard MMO trappings are, rather than having a bug dumb gear treadmill to run on if you want to do the latest high-end fights as they come out.

The only MMOs I've played are this and Guild Wars 1, which was very much not standard from what I understand.

Enlong on
    I don't mean to seem like a dick if I am! For real - I think the art design is cool and I'm kinda a sucker for just wandering around giant MMO worlds. I've kinda wanted an MMO to grab me but other than the first six months of The Old Republic I've not had one draw me in years. I'll keep playing through my 30 day trial and see how I feel!

Larlar
    you're not seeming like a dick at all, totally reasonable, valid question

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    Now that I look at the guild tags I have seen a couple Ghost people online and submitted my application.

IGN: Omnily Frostbound

Made it to 45 and only discovered the hunting an challenge logs a few levels ago... whoops!

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    admittedly it was hard for me to slog through the initial game. like many mmo type games, you do the same sorts of quests and get the same sorts of bad looking gear and don't really feel like your class is fleshed out until you finally hit the original level cap at 50. the story is also pretty mediocre in the base game. it finally clicked with me eventually and the story does improve. you're probably not going to find any revolutionary mmo concepts, but it's pretty well-polished. honestly one of the main things that kept me playing (apart from having friends who played it) was making a character i really liked. the customization is way better than WoW which i played before (which is a low bar, admittedly).

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    One of the biggest difference from WoW is that you can learn every single class on a single character. Also crafting and gathering have their own classes. And every class (even the crafting/gathering ones) have their own questlines all the way to max level.

The main storyline is the quests with the meteor icon. Quests with the blue "+" icon will unlock features or optional content. The normal looking quest icon are just side quests.

There's also a ton of minigames, most of which are in the Gold Saucer which you can unlock once you reach around level 15 in the main story and unlock airship travel.

Your starting class determines which of the three main cities you start in, and in turn, what your level 1-15 storyline/quests are.

When I last played WoW, a lot of it seemed geared towards "if you're not playing the endgame, you're not playing the game" but FF14 offers a lot more choice. Most people are going to be playing through the main story since it's the backbone that most other things unlock from, and for some people just the story itself is enough. The endgame raid scene is there, but you can also be a professional crafter or gatherer, or just play pretty dress-up with whatever glamours you can collect, or become a triple triad master, etc. There's also housing, but that can be costly.

Also due to the level scaling and dungeon roulettes you can still get groups for most dungeons/trials/raids even for the stuff older than the current expansion.

That said, it's still an MMO and may not be for everyone.

Lars on
    Being able to level up entirely through crafting or gathering is extremely interesting to me!

Roegadyn
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    Being able to level up entirely through crafting or gathering is extremely interesting to me!
    You can, but also you can't.

You can't experience the main story with just a crafting job. You need to fight good to do anything story-related, with the exception of the individual crafting job quests.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    The main story does still require a combat class to progress, unfortunately. At one point it was planned to let crafting/gatherering classes do it as well, but that didn't make it.

Crafters/gatherers do get their own questlines and storylines as they level, though (ie. Alchemy has a questline about attempting to raise the dead at one point if I remember right).

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    technically you're not leveling up through those, you're leveling up your crafting/gathering class, which has a separate level. the main story still requires a class that can do damage things

liEt3nH.png
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Hyur
    It won't affect your main class, just the gathering/crafting class.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’m pretty sure I’ve managed to get to finale of the Heavensward storyline. That slow walk down the bridge....

*chef’s kiss*
    I should have expected it, this being a JRPG storyline, but Haurchefant and Ysayle reappearing to help me out was bittersweet. Also, throwing the eyes into a supposedly bottom chasm totally wont bite me in the ass later on.

Thancred’s makeover is quite... sexy.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I dinged 30 on my GLA>PAL and did the final quest of GLA and then upgraded to PAL and that was the lamest transition ever. I'll spoiler it
    So here we are, strong gladiator WWA fighters with silly swords and very strong disciplined guild leader who is mostly there to yell at fighters to keep up with their training. There's an old rivalry between two fighters that flared up again after 7 years. It culminates into the bad guy framing the other bloke for an assassination attempt on the Sultana and WoL and guild leader decide to save the bloke. Doesn't go as planned, so we just beat the shit out of everyone and it ends with the bad guy jumping off a cliff and cursing the other bloke.

Wow. What a ride. The other bloke rides off into the sunset aaaaannnndddd... The End. The next quest comes from the guild receptionist telling you that the paladins are recruiting and off you go. So far there is no relation with the GLA storyline.

Ive done BRD and WAR before and both of those are a lot less jarring. Is PAL just different or does it tie back to GLA after a few more levels?

edited April 2019
    Larlar
    Aldo wrote: »
    I dinged 30 on my GLA>PAL and did the final quest of GLA and then upgraded to PAL and that was the lamest transition ever. I'll spoiler it
    So here we are, strong gladiator WWA fighters with silly swords and very strong disciplined guild leader who is mostly there to yell at fighters to keep up with their training. There's an old rivalry between two fighters that flared up again after 7 years. It culminates into the bad guy framing the other bloke for an assassination attempt on the Sultana and WoL and guild leader decide to save the bloke. Doesn't go as planned, so we just beat the shit out of everyone and it ends with the bad guy jumping off a cliff and cursing the other bloke.

Wow. What a ride. The other bloke rides off into the sunset aaaaannnndddd... The End. The next quest comes from the guild receptionist telling you that the paladins are recruiting and off you go. So far there is no relation with the GLA storyline.

Ive done BRD and WAR before and both of those are a lot less jarring. Is PAL just different or does it tie back to GLA after a few more levels?
    I hear tell the paladin story goes back to the gladiator guild in Stormblood, to the extent that it's more of a gladiator story than a paladin one in that expansion even, but before that point it absolutely does not have a thing to do with the gladiators after you reach level 30. I haven't done marauder/warrior but most of the other ones I have played myself have also basically abandoned the 1-30 NPCs when you graduate to the promoted classes. Ninja is the only exception from the jobs I have leveled that I can remember, you check in with the rogues' guild for the first quest at the start of Heavensward. Not sure if you keep doing stuff with the rogues or not though, that's as far as my NIN is.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.