As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    So, I was looking at the request list today, and Moxiboxxi requested a bunch more things. However, I just realized this user signed up on April 13th and has has had exactly ZERO posts. So, before I shut them down I wanted to find out if this was someone's friend or something? I'm totally fine giving away a bunch of stuff if they've got a connection to PA and just never actively participated but if they are some rando who joined for free stuff I'm gonna have to stop the flow. Thanks!

Interesting. I'm always curious when we see indications of the extent to which this thread is watched by non-participants. And are they 'legit' lurkers who just read the thread and haven't joined or spoken up, or are they folks out on the Internet harvesting keys and games?

Like all the [code ][ /code] codes that get taken with no acknowledgement. Where do those go? For a while it seemed to be driven by folks encountering our group-only giveaways on Steamgifts. The volume of those is way, way down, though. So I don't think that's a big driver these days.

Quick update. I spoke to @Moxiboxxi briefly and confirmed he was just a long-time lurker who got excited by the game list. :) Hopefully since he's registered, now, he'll become a responsible member of our little part of the internet. ;)

Hooray! Welcome Moxiboxxi - Come make posts!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Someone here posted a game that was basically Warcraft 3 but with more dudes, and it had a caveman theme to it?

Can't find that post to save my life, what was that game?

Dawn of Man?

Conan Unconquered?

Not really the Warcraft 3 art style though.

No, neither of those, sorry. :(

It was Warparty!

Yes, i was the one who posted it. I am happy it makes you happy.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Maybe it's my phone, but outlines off looks better.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    They look identical to me. One just looks a little more washed out; which isn't what I was expecting.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Thanks to @akajaybay who just randomly giftbombed me with Heavy Burger. It looks like a really fun local multiplayer game. Hoping I'll be able to play it with a group of people next time we have guests!

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    They look identical to me. One just looks a little more washed out; which isn't what I was expecting.
    Yes, maybe not the best example (it's the first one I found while searching for the info). In this video of Borderlands 2 the results are a bit more visible:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWrx1RqI0Zw

HiT BiT on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Outlines off looks way better. I didn't realize they could be disabled...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's a way to disable the outlines...I don't remember how, though.
    There was a tutorial in the Boderlands Wiki:
    https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Borderlands_PC_Tweaks
    Disable outline shader

In WillowEngine.ini Find:

[Engine.Engine]

Change:

DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess

To:

DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess_cinematic
    The default location of WillowEngine.ini is Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\

Outlines on:
    CMYRy7r.jpg

Outlines off:
    SJLTBXM.jpg

Still, not sure if it still works in the new Enhanced edition.

I... Can't really tell the difference. (maybe that's cause I'm looking on my phone.)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    You can see the difference most clearly in the edge of the water on the right, the edges of the pipe on the left side, and along the stock and sight of the gun.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Here's one for the wolves.

Layers of Fear
    Loading...?

edited April 2019
    Hmm, that giveaway may not actually be possible.

Cancel that one for now.

akajaybay on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    slow wolves today :rotate:

edited April 2019
    Ok Uplay shenanigans I think are gonna make that AC origins giveaway a no go.
    So instead and in keeping with the hieroglyphics theme.
    Let's do a Heaven's Vault giveaway. A game where you and a robot sail though a Nebula landing on floating chunks of rock to try and decipher the writing of a dead language through deduction and guesswork.
    6CHkDYP.jpg

So send me some ancient writing via PM. In 2 and a half hours I'll random up a winner.
    Edit: Ok entries closed. This one will be an easy one to figure out a winner for.

akajaybay on
    edited April 2019
    ToyD wrote: »
    So do any of you play Oxygen Not Included? I’ve been playing and I like it. I have issues transitioning out of the starting biome though. Read a few of the better guides but somehow my files just aren’t as efficient and I end up battling a slowly building carbon dioxide issue before I can really get set up to break into slime biomes I think. Maybe I’m just timid about it. Currently I’m trying to set up my water reclamation for a washroom but my dupes take forever to build down in CO2 filled regions.

It’s a good game, I’d like to hear any other strategies you use. The game just had its quality of life 3 update that overhauled jobs into skills and it’s coming out of early access in May.
    There is an Oxygen scrubber that uses fresh water to filter CO2 back into breathable oxygen. You can also use a gas pump to clear the CO2 before sending dupes to work down there. They tend to work better when they can breathe.

CO2 is heavy and will always go down and then to the right of your base. You can dig a little hole to gather it if you plan ahead and then scrub it when you unlock the research.

Theres an on topic thread if you're interested. The whole reason I made it was to ask questions that might get lost here. It isnt the most talkative place but I just started a new game myself after a long break.

Update: The thing I was talking about is called a carbon skimmer. But Ive just built some algea terrariums near my CO2 deposits and that is helping a bit. Except they didn't used to emit polluted water and now I have green water in one of my ponds :(

Bedlam on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hand of Fate 2 is on sale today on Steam for 40% off.

So uh. I own it now.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited April 2019
    @akajaybay sent me a key for Merry Glade. I've never heard of this one so I had to look it up... Oh, that looks just adorable. Let's check the description. Ah, I see. It's a love story between a bunny and a carrot. I see. Well that could be amusing. Cute, even! Oh... oh wait. Blood and death. Traps and enemies. And... a disclaimer?
    From the developer.
    Actually I don’t know what to say. Despite its childish style the game has lots of blood and gore. I wouldn’t show it to children…

/blink

Awesome! :D

Thanks! <3<3<3

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    For example, Dragonball FighterZ is cel shaded.

Even if you don't like fighting games as a genre you can't tell me that doesn't look good.

What if you don't like Toriyama as a genre?

steam_sig.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Return of the Obra Dinn is on sale too on Steam. It's just 25%, making it USD$14.99, but it's worth it you monsters.

I am heavily considering it but I'm leaving for a trip Sunday.

.....and Goddamn Hand of Fate is 5 Dollars right now on Steam.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Go get hand of fate. I'm having a blast with it. It's a game I could easily pair a wine with.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    A winner is me!

Thanks @akajaybay !

uhelisjdcq15.png

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited April 2019
    I'm skimming my humble bundle keys and it occurs to me that i can download them on this library computer and play them.

Must stay focused.....
    Duet
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/292600/Duet/

Kane and Lynch Collection
    https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1457/Kane__Lynch_Collection/

Trine 3
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/319910/Trine_3_The_Artifacts_of_Power/

Plantera
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/421040/Plantera/

PM me for keys

RoyceSraphim on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Cell shading is awful and games should just not.

There, I said it.

Aw man, where's the :( reaction when you really need it?

camo_sig2.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Even if you don't like fighting games as a genre you can't tell me that doesn't look good.

Well theres always jet set radio.

steam_sig.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Toriyama himself doesn't like some parts of Toriyama as a genre (read: the part where he draws intricate designs and realise he's got to draw them more than once) so, yeah.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Forgot to mention this yesterday but @Stormwatcher had a spare code for Civ IV and was kind enough to let me fill the gap between my Civ III and Civ V. Thank you muchly!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I am heavily considering it but I'm leaving for a trip Sunday.

.....and Goddamn Hand of Fate is 5 Dollars right now on Steam.

I don't think it's a particularly demanding game. Should be playable on a laptop

steam_sig.png
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/490450/Tokyo_42/

This was quite fun in the intro on the library computer and I will try to download it at home to if it runs here but damn you should all enjoy this.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/490450/Tokyo_42/

This was quite fun in the intro on the library computer and I will try to download it at home to if it runs here but damn you should all enjoy this.

It's really good. Firefights can get a bit visually noisy but the game is at it's best when you're infiltrating a place for the one shot you need to make to completell the mission then waahhh ruuuuun exfiltrateeeee

It's been chilling out in my "good first impressions" list for a while, I should get back to it

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I just finished Whispers of a Machine.

It's a point-and-click adventure game from the makers of Kathy Rain. But whereas Kathy Rain was horror, Whispers of a Machine is... uh... well, the store page describes it as a Science Fiction Nordic Noir, so let's go with that. You play as a cybernetically-enhanced detective who travels to an isolated village to solve a murder.

I wouldn't call it the best point-and-click adventure game, but it's decent. I enjoyed it. There were no real moon logic puzzles (except maybe one), so that was good. One neat thing about this game is that you get different cybernetic powers depending on your attitude, which allows for different ways of solving the game's puzzles, making this game slightly more replayable than the average point-and-click adventure game. So it's nice to have a reason to come back to this game.

It is, however, too short. This game has a story to tell, but it doesn't have enough time to tell it in. There are some concepts here that I found mildly interesting, but since the game doesn't have the room to explore those concepts, they never really rise above mildly interesting. This kind of diminishes the emotional impact certain story beats are supposed to have, because it didn't do quite enough to get me invested.

Then again 'Gosh, I wish there were more of this game' is a good complaint to have.

WotanAnubis on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, as is the custom in Britain on hot holiday weekends, I have spent the day sweltering on a train. Would not recommend!

But I got home, after a serious chippy tea, to discover that the ever-marvellous @akajaybay had sent me a gift - of Heaven’s Vault!

This hits all my word-nerd archaeology/sci-fi/history buttons. @akajaybay is lovely, and has improved the rest of my weekend immeasurably.

At least the part not taken up with planning revenge.
    I mean gardening.
    Yes.
    Gardening.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Speaking of @Karoz went and did a thing and gifted me Wandersong! :D

I dont know much about the game but it went on my wishlist after I saw that it was developed by the team that did Coin Crypt! Which I friggin loved!

Thanks so much @Karoz!

edited April 2019
    Hey! Hey guys!

... HOW ABOUT A CONTEST?

Yeah, I haven't done one of these in a while. So why not, right?

I should start with the bait, huh? Bait is good. Like blood. Blood is good. Oh, speaking of blood... Yes, you're vying for a copy of this:

gonn0lxclyyu.png

Who wouldn't want this? I mean, you'd have to be crazier than a Malkavian not to want this, amirite?

Ok so you're gonna need to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Vampire: The Masquerade...

See, starting in May, I'll be running a Vampire (5th Edition) campaign for my gaming group. Should be lots of fun! There'll be cosplay. There'll be goblets of blood passed around! Wait, no. Forget I said that part. That's a secret.

So this campaign will be set in Boston. Camarilla territory. With all kinds of fun places to set scenes. And not too far from werewolves, for added fun.

Yeah, I hear the Nossie over there in the shadows asking for the bottom line. Whaddaya gotta do? Fine. I need more NPC vampires to populate the city. Sooooo... Create a vampire! Tell me as much as you want/can about them. Make them interesting as possible. My favorite, chosen arbitrarily based on what tickles my fancy, will get worked into my campaign somehow and YOU will own VTMB2! We both win!

So, there ya go. Get your vampire on. I'll leave this open for an undetermined amount of time - basically until I've gotten enough entries and/or it seems like interest has flagged.

EDIT: Clarification - don't bother with stats. I don't need stats and not everyone has played Vampire V5. I just need vamps with personality and style. :)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Albion Online has me hooked. First game that has grabbed me like this in a long time. I loved Graveyard Keeper, but I knew it had an end. This game really doesn't. Something that can help fill my Marvel Heroes void. :)

I've played over thirty hours in the last couple days. Crazy.

There have been some server issues. It just went Free-to-Play last week, so there are a huge influx of people.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
    To clarify the above: you don't need to supply stats, and I wouldn't use them if you did. Just tell me about the vampire.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Not gonna play, but if I was I would totally be the Otto Bismark

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    So there's this vampire who dresses exclusively in pink and
    You win everything forever.

Coffey wrote: »
    Albion Online has me hooked. First game that has grabbed me like this in a long time. I loved Graveyard Keeper, but I knew it had an end. This game really doesn't. Something that can help fill my Marvel Heroes void. :)

There have been some server issues. It just went Free-to-Play last week, so there are a huge influx of people.

I'm not sure how much it matters to you but you may be interested in the City of Heroes thing that happened last week / this week, also. I'm making some leaps that since you were doing Marvel Heroes things that you played CoH at some point.

Coffey wrote: »

I'm not sure how much it matters to you but you may be interested in the City of Heroes thing that happened last week / this week, also. I'm making some leaps that since you were doing Marvel Heroes things that you played CoH at some point.

I saw that story and found the outrage hilarious as an outsider. Especially today on 420.

This discussion has been closed.