As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Making sure nobody's feelings are getting hurt when nobody has indicated that their feelings are getting hurt is maybe kind of unnecessary? I think an amount of ironic aggressive hyperbole is the norm around here, I think most of us know that.

Also lighter fluid tastes bad, use a chimney chumps.

I've always soaked a paper towel in neutral-flavored cooking oil, then placed it beneath a pyramid of coals, with a little bit of the towel sticking out. Light the paper towel, close the grill and wait a bit. Always works fine.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That makes sense too. My dad never used a chimney, we were a lighter fluid family, but I started using one when I got my own grill and I've converted him over.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I know when I was first getting into grilling that chimneys were considered easy mode and you didn't really know how to cook with charcoal unless you could get by with a pyramid of charcoal and a twist of newspaper. It was just gatekeeping bullshit. Luckily it was just all on the forums I frequented, I never encountered anybody in person who was a real asshole about it. Personally with the exception of warning people off of lighter fluid, I don't care how someone starts their grill, or what fuel they use.

Personally I cook with a Pit Barrel Cooker. Best $200 I've ever spent. 33 gallon drum, and is designed for the meat to be hung from hooks as in the picture below (not mine). I've made some amazing brisket and ribs and turkey and all kinds of stuff. I'll eventually upgrade into a horizontal offset barrel smoker, but to get going I can't recommend this thing enough. Load the coal basket in the bottom, start a short chimney (25-35 briquettes) and 20 minutes later you're putting food on.

c1ohm3bmhibc.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Let's put these petty barbecue squabbles behind us, and come together behind something we can surely all agree on.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah there's the panko topping? Sad.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That .... I don't want to use the word chef

That criminal belongs in jail

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    The only Hill-To-Die-On Food Opinion I have is that grilling with anything other than charcoal or wood is a waste of everyone's time.
    Sorry I don’t have 4 hours to babysit the coals to get them just right

Y'all if it takes more than about a half hour for your coals to be ready to go you're doing something super wrong.

15 minutes in the chimney (20 if it's a windy day), 10-15 minutes in the drum of the grill, and you're all set.

I feel the exact opposite. It should take a good 3 hours or so to make your coals, so that you can sit around the fire drinking beer until the sun goes down and then you cook.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wow that's something I'd expect to see given out if you like were a complete butt while ordering food or something

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I can imagine an Italian chef who hates the idea of macaroni and cheese, and who created this terrible dish as an act of protest and revenge because people wouldn't stop trying to order it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I can imagine an Italian chef who hates the idea of macaroni and cheese, and who created this terrible dish as an act of protest and revenge because people wouldn't stop trying to order it.

Every chef has a spite dish.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Let's put these petty barbecue squabbles behind us, and come together behind something we can surely all agree on.

the fucking SVU sound effect went through my head seeing this

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It looks like contempt for basic food from whomever cooked it

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone left a bunch of smoked salmon at my house so I'm totally doing brinner tonight.

Thinking scrambled eggs, asparagus, salmon and spicy pesto.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My local Ralph's had a couple of bags of "salume sub sandwich trio" deli meats discounted to $.99. They're over a pound of deli meat each, split evenly between slices of sandwich pepperoni, hard salami, and capicola. The bags are still well within date, have no damage, and are perfectly sealed.

I am going to be eating a lot of sub sandwiches over the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    That Mac and cheese makes me violently angry.

It looks like it tastes like despair

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So there’s this box of baked potatoes wrapped in foil sitting on the break room counter. Think it was a catering lunch a day or two ago. Are they still good?

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    So there’s this box of baked potatoes wrapped in foil sitting on the break room counter. Think it was a catering lunch a day or two ago. Are they still good?

Sitting on a counter for possibly days? I'd skip it.

• Options
    Yeah I’ll pass on the break room potatoes. The refrigerator does have salad from that lunch day so free salad I guess...

• Options
    Good call. Wet carbs at room temperature can start colonizing harmful bacteria almost as quickly as cooked meat or beans.

Also, as a reminder, never trust a lukewarm bean. They'll fuck you right up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just learned that Long John Silvers is going to start offering all you can eat fish, chicken, and sides for as low as $7.99 at some locations. I find LJS to be pretty mediocre but occasionally I get a taste for that cheap, greasy fish, but I cannot imagine eating more than a regular order of the stuff.

• Options
    Hah, no. Their regular combos already come with More Crunchy Fried Bits Than Anyone Needs.

Reminds me of all you can eat pancakes deals at IHOP and similar. All the amount I can eat is already comfortably encompassed by the amount you already sell me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I just learned that Long John Silvers is going to start offering all you can eat fish, chicken, and sides for as low as $7.99 at some locations. I find LJS to be pretty mediocre but occasionally I get a taste for that cheap, greasy fish, but I cannot imagine eating more than a regular order of the stuff.

Yeah, LJS is right up there with the McRib as things I get a hunger for once every couple of years just so I can remind myself why I don't eat it more regularly.

• Options
    Oh no I passed someone in the hallway eating one of those break room potatoes like a burrito.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Once I was no longer in college and my metabolism fell off a cliff, all-you can eat deals stopped being appealing to me

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oh no I passed someone in the hallway eating one of those break room potatoes like a burrito.

Better to burn out than fade away.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The most Canadian thing I do is enjoy Kraft Dinner with ketchup.

Regular price is about 2 bucks per box but it's on sale often enough that I only ever buy it when it's a buck a box.

Today we were picking a few things up at the discount grocery store and they were selling four boxes for 99c

I bought 8 boxes. That is a hell of a deal.

Edit: also they had French Toast Crunch! It was always super rare to find it for sale, it was like the cereal bigfoot. Now I guess it's owned by General Mills?

#pipe on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That agree was meant to indicate that you made the Right Decision.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

This reminds me of an app from a planet wings sport bar. Nachos: Tortilla rounds on a plate, half a can of refried beans(still in the shape of the can), topped with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. The waitress dropped it off at the table like nothing was wrong. =\

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Someone left a bunch of smoked salmon at my house so I'm totally doing brinner tonight.

I love asparagus, eggs and smoked salmon but to put it all in the same meal? Pure happiness. Is wild asparagus used there at all? Cus I prefer it to thick ones that I see in all American recipes.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    grrmusha wrote: »

I love asparagus, eggs and smoked salmon but to put it all in the same meal? Pure happiness. Is wild asparagus used there at all? Cus I prefer it to thick ones that I see in all American recipes.

that's kind of a difficult question to answer because I'm not 100% sure what you mean by wild asparagus. I think you might be referring to what we call grass asparagus? Large pic in spoiler
    4twtssnk57ga.jpg
    ??

in which case - I've never seen grass asparagus outside of southern Europe, I don't think you can get it here. The wild variety of asparagus you find in the US is afaik the same as the garden (green) variety, the width of the spears is pretty much only related to their age. (but I'll take either over white asparagus, which is designed for people who have lost their teeth).

anyway the result was extremely successful! Adding goats cheese might have been overkill, but I stand by the sriracha.
    vol5302ow3zl.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Asparagi-selvatici.jpgj
    That is what we call wild asparagus. It's the type of asparagus used in restaurants here too. Some have it growing on their own in their gardens, my dad used to find it in the woods. He prepares it my favorite way, as salad. Just boiled in water, with cut up boiled eggs, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. I could eat that every day.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    I fuckin' love asparagus, but I have to admit that Tynic's version looks way tastier than the kind I usually get. I tend to get some unfortunately woody stems in the kind of asparagus in grrmusha's picture, even though I steam it until it's pretty tender.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I tend to get some unfortunately woody stems in the kind of asparagus in grrmusha's picture, even though I steam it until it's pretty tender.
    Stems are supposed to be trimmed though

grrmusha on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've never seen wild asparagus or grass asparagus! @tynic does the grass asparagus taste exactly like the asparagus here, or is it a bit different?

And yeah, whenever I buy asparagus @Jedoc , I get the thin stalks (tend to be less woody/fibrous) and then I break off the bottom 2" or so, which I find basically inedible. Everything else is delicious though! I love asparagus.

• Options
    @NightDragon hmm I'd say it tastes a bit more herbal/grassier - less of that ASPARAGUS flavour (not sure what it does to your pee)

and yeah you're supposed to break off the bottoms. The stalks should snap naturally at the start of the tender portion, which is very convenient imo

• Options
    @NightDragon hmm I'd say it tastes a bit more herbal/grassier - less of that ASPARAGUS flavour (not sure what it does to your pee)

and yeah you're supposed to break off the bottoms. The stalks should snap naturally at the start of the tender portion, which is very convenient imo

Coolio! I wondered if it literally did taste grassier.

And yeah, asparagus does that to me. Apparently not to everyone though?...which is something I just learned recently.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Like I've always been a bit curious about this asparagus pee thing.

Why are you people smelling your urine ?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Coolio! I wondered if it literally did taste grassier.

And yeah, asparagus does that to me. Apparently not to everyone though?...which is something I just learned recently.

AHA!
    sorry this ties into a great family argument but the truth is IT MAKES EVERYONE'S PEE STINK BUT SOME PEOPLE CAN'T SMELL IT
    apparently there is a gene that stops you smelling asparagus pee

so anyway my sister thought she didn't get asparagus pee and this turned into a whole argument over christmas dinner and culminated with my dad banging on the door of the toilet while she was in there shouting "DON'T YOU FLUSH!"

• Options

to see what i had for dinner

• Options

Asparagus pee can just be...potent. We're not sticking our heads into the toilet, here.

Not me, anyway.

This discussion has been closed.