As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My computer is the most silent thing I've never heard.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Wow you're right

I can't hear your computer either

:P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    My computer has a silence button that makes it super quiet. Check if yours does too, it's probably labeled "Power".

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    zqx3e86.jpg?1

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    RAM is about half the price it was when I bought my PC last year.

Yes, it does make me a little bit angry. And also inclined to buy another 2x8Gb, because you can never have too much RAM.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    How the hell do y'all sleep with your computers muted?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    On a completely different floor, that's how!

@V1m don't be mad. You got to use your rig for an entire year. Also I agree you can never have too much RAM. I currently have 24GB in mine because sure why not.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My PC remains on because I have a slowish internet connection and download stuff overnight, and play a dumb idle game (Trimps), screen off no load it is legit hard to hear 1 meter away, and definitely less noise than the heating or the ventilation.

If it spins up the fans it is still noticable though.

My PS4 pro is a jet engine from the day I took it out of the box

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I've got a weird little issue may you all can help with. I have an i5-8600 with a Gigabyte motherboard. Whenever my pc boots, it beeps 5 times. I know that means there's a CPU error, but here's the weird part: The pc boots just fine. There is some kind of issue though. If I have Windows power options set to turn the monitors off after 10 minutes or so (the time period doesn't matter), it reboots. Also, every now and then, when it boots I can tell it's booting up, but no video is displayed until I unplug the monitors from the hdmi/dvi ports and plug them back in.

I do not have a discreet GPU and I am wondering if there is something wrong with the embedded one. But in fairness, I haven't dealt with hardware in at least 15 years so my knowledge is mostly theoretical at this point.

• Options
    My first step would be to grab a < $50 GPU just to confirm whether it's the embedded graphics chip. The other option is you could have some parts of the motherboard either starting to fail or slowly becoming heat damaged.

Also a quick google hints that it could be the board battery starting to die. You can get a replacement battery at Target or Walgreens or similar (should be a CR2032)

Also this:
    Turns out this motherboard will give a cpu error warning if a display is not attached or a display cable is damaged, and prevent boot. Found it deep in reddit. It has been reported to Gigabyte a number of times and nothing has come of it. So the more yah know I guess.

Try different display cables and see if the error goes away.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My first step would be to grab a < $50 GPU just to confirm whether it's the embedded graphics chip. The other option is you could have some parts of the motherboard either starting to fail or slowly becoming heat damaged.

Also a quick google hints that it could be the board battery starting to die. You can get a replacement battery at Target or Walgreens or similar (should be a CR2032)

Also this:
    Turns out this motherboard will give a cpu error warning if a display is not attached or a display cable is damaged, and prevent boot. Found it deep in reddit. It has been reported to Gigabyte a number of times and nothing has come of it. So the more yah know I guess.

Try different display cables and see if the error goes away.

Interesting about the battery, it's done that since I built the machine. Fortunately I have a bunch of CR2032s leftover from a science project my son was working on.

I've been thinking about getting a GTX 1650 after they come out (next week, right?) to troubleshoot the embedded chip.

And I think I have a few extra hdmi cables laying about, so I'll try that too.

Thanks for the advice.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Holy crap. I’d never thought I’d see the day where I apparently bought too much case. This Phanteks Enthoo Primo is just plain absurd. This was definitely tailored to the extreme enthusiast end where custom water loops and reservoirs are involved, because the amount of space this case has really is nuts. I mean I guess it’s a given when you have no less than 3 mounting plates for water reservoirs and 3 different radiator mount points on top of that.

I just installed the mobo last night, and it just looks so tiny it’s absurd.

Clearly this extra space needs more bling-blang right? I mean...it only seems necessary at this point...

u8wdzwgo6y8s.jpg

• Options
    I love the green!

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Holy crap. I’d never thought I’d see the day where I apparently bought too much case. This Phanteks Enthoo Primo is just plain absurd. This was definitely tailored to the extreme enthusiast end where custom water loops and reservoirs are involved, because the amount of space this case has really is nuts. I mean I guess it’s a given when you have no less than 3 mounting plates for water reservoirs and 3 different radiator mount points on top of that.

Clearly this extra space needs more bling-blang right? I mean...it only seems necessary at this point...

u8wdzwgo6y8s.jpg

I'm clearly stupid and you should feel free to mock me, but where the hell is your PSU hiding?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I believe the PSU is the big green thing in the bottom.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I love the green!

Thanks! that was a big part of why I chose the case too, it just glows so nicely under even a little bit of light!
    expendable wrote: »

u8wdzwgo6y8s.jpg

I'm clearly stupid and you should feel free to mock me, but where the hell is your PSU hiding?

No worries! That's the crazy part. See that giant bulge at the bottom of the case right under the dangling CPU cooler black? That entire metal shroud hides the power supply on the other side of the case so it's not visible on the mobo side. That entire front area is basically empty save for two intake case fans I installed on the bottom for extra airflow.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I love the green!

Thanks! that was a big part of why I chose the case too, it just glows so nicely under even a little bit of light!
    expendable wrote: »

u8wdzwgo6y8s.jpg

No worries! That's the crazy part. See that giant bulge at the bottom of the case right under the dangling CPU cooler black? That entire metal shroud hides the power supply on the other side of the case so it's not visible on the mobo side. That entire front area is basically empty save for two intake case fans I installed on the bottom for extra airflow.

Ah, I see it now. I did not previously notice that it was bulged out, I thought it was relatively flush with he mobo. I blame the lack of caffeine this morning.

So now it's even bigger than I thought. Small children could live in there and probably get lost.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    "And in the 7th bay, lived Mr Tumnus..."

• Options
    That reminds me of when I bought a CoolerMaster Cosmos II about 8 or 9 years ago with the intent of having it be my "forever" case. After moving to a new house, I said "fuck that" and bought a Antec Three Hundred. Nearly half the size and half the weight.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Green is great!

Get some funko pop figs in there!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    How many Phanteks we have in this thread anyway?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wish they made more cases with color other than 'gamer rbg'.

• Options
    Probably almost as many as we have Fractals?

And here I am mulling over a Antec Three Hundred Two just so I can get USB3 on mah case (she sits in a corner, on the floor, between my desk and the wall, so I have zero need for glass/windows).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I've got a Phanteks as well and I really do like the case a lot. It's just neat seeing all of them in one spot.

• Options
    I have to admit I'm kinda surprised at the proliferation of them as well. I used to be a die-hard CoolerMaster HAF fan but it appears they don't make that case line anymore? or they sold the design to Rosewill or something because I'm seeing a lot of copy-cats of that design popping up from them. This case just sort of popped up on my search list in newegg, (since I had a coupon just for Phanteks anyway) and once I saw the powder coated green interior, I knew I had to have it. I'll try to complete the build this weekend to show off all the shinies in real time.

• Options
    I'd be lying if I didn't admit I've stared longingly at a Meshify C more than once.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The Meshify is super purty, but it just looks like an instant dust magnet to me.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I've got an NZXT Manta sitting on my desk, and I like it a lot. That said, I'm getting a bit of an upgrade itch and contemplating getting a Corsair Crystal or something similarly replete with tempered glass to give my 1080ti better airflow.

• Options
    I cheaped out and got a RaidMax for $50. It's a nice orange color, so it looks nice. I do have a 1200W Corsair though, so at least the PSU is decent.

• Options
    I have a phanteks p300 :)

I like the nzxt h500i and 700i for my next case though.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    That reminds me of when I bought a CoolerMaster Cosmos II about 8 or 9 years ago with the intent of having it be my "forever" case. After moving to a new house, I said "fuck that" and bought a Antec Three Hundred. Nearly half the size and half the weight.

I got mine in 2013, still love it. Plenty of room for components, and doubles as a bomb shelter! Not exactly low profile, though.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I just got a thermaltake core x9 case. It is actually gigantic. The box literally had a sticker that said "caution: heavy object. Team lift required"

• Options
    Someone refresh my memory. Are we supposed to move to DDR5 the "next" CPU generation? I'm hearing scuttlebutt about it.

Totally not related: I got back pay for a raise and I'm heavily debating some sort of incremental upgrade.

• Options
    Someone refresh my memory. Are we supposed to move to DDR5 the "next" CPU generation? I'm hearing scuttlebutt about it.

Totally not related: I got back pay for a raise and I'm heavily debating some sort of incremental upgrade.

Ddr5 is a 2020 prospect if that.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I also am part of the Phanteks faith (insert Axis cult video)

Mine is a Enthoo Pro M TG.

Tempted to get the White Esclipse P600S, but I think I'd rather put that money towards other stuff.

Plus now that I have my PC on my (new) desk, I can appreciate the Pro M TG's appearance more than when it was on the floor.

Besides I just bought a new phone and currently nursing my wallet.

EDIT: I am really, REALLY tempted to buy ram right now. Some of the prices are just so good. While I'd probably kick myself if I buy a dead kit or the price gets even cheaper, I'll really fucking hate myself if RAM prices explode again

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I bought 32GB last year when it was nearly twice the price.... *cries*

• Options
    Yeah I just keep thinking back to 4-5 years ago before Ram skyrocketed and up until now I had been kicking myself for not getting some.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordered the 2x16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX kit I'm interested in. It's Cas 16, but I really doubt I'd notice much difference with a more expensive Cas 14 kit

Aside from fear of ram skyrocketing again, the other reason I got this kit is it seems to selling out at some places, and I'm worried it may get discontinued.

Taller ram wouldn't have been an issue, as raising the fans on a Noctua D15 won't cause issues in my case has clearance for 194mm.

I just hope I never have to RMA the ram, as the shipping to Taiwan and back to Australia will probably cost an arm and a leg.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    The Meshify is super purty, but it just looks like an instant dust magnet to me.

My new system's in one and I can tell that's definitely going to be A Thing. On the other hand it's small and super open so cleaning it won't be that annoying.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    This is the next case I want to get. The form factor seems perfect, and I can sync It's case lights to my mouse and keyboard.

wxcavj97hixy.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    This is the next case I want to get. The form factor seems perfect, and I can sync It's case lights to my mouse and keyboard.

wxcavj97hixy.jpg

there is a good video from Pauls Hardware with this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieIXmB2bngY

I really like it as well, especially with a massive fan in the front like Paul did.

edit: I know in the video it shows it doesn't fit but I swear to god there is another video with this case and a 200mm fan where it does.

Aridhol on
This discussion has been closed.