As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Asparagus thickness in American supermarkets tends to vary a lot depending on your location and also whether it's in season somewhere near there. Right now asparagus is really cheap in SoCal, like $1/lb, and the spears are very thin and not fibrous at all. 3 weeks ago it was at least $3/lb and like three times as thick.

Yeah, in-season is definitely thinner and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJz2ZLm852s

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    r2r1yazsgo0i.png

Shit like this is why God doesn't talk to us anymore.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like pizza lunchables...

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    Kiwano tastes like watery nothing, you're not missing out.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    r2r1yazsgo0i.png

They should include a virgin mimosa-flavored Capri Sun

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    r2r1yazsgo0i.png

These seem fine.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Those have no business calling themselves "brunch" is they don't include a giant stack of pancakes.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    r2r1yazsgo0i.png

It's actually His way of turning us into pillars of salt.

• Options
    Know what's a good snack I recently rediscovered? Cinnamon Teddy Grahams. Wife bought some to put in small pouches for her to snack on at work and I've been stealing them.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, this definitely counts as good food, but the cooking thread intimidates me so

just spent about 2 days making some stuff for nachos. I cut up a pork shoulder, got all the fat trimmings and then rendered them down for pork fat. Then I seasoned the pork with all the spices for puerco pibil, then marinated overnight. Used the pork fat to make black beans from dried beans, which involved simmering them with garlic, onion, a bit of pork fat, coriander and bay leaves until they because thick and saucy. Then added all the acidic parts to the pork (which was per the babish video so it was orange juice, vinegar, lemon juice and tequila) and marinaded that for a few hours before slow cooking for about 4.

The beans also got rec-cooked with some garlic and onion, and mashed up a little.

Really really really excellent.

now i've also got heaps of beans left over and I got to make black beans and eggs for breakfast.

• Options
    Pictures, please. I'd understand if you ate it too quickly to have the chance because I would have too.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yo Zonugal how much was that 5 pound plate of food?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so, this definitely counts as good food, but the cooking thread intimidates me so

just spent about 2 days making some stuff for nachos. I cut up a pork shoulder, got all the fat trimmings and then rendered them down for pork fat. Then I seasoned the pork with all the spices for puerco pibil, then marinated overnight. Used the pork fat to make black beans from dried beans, which involved simmering them with garlic, onion, a bit of pork fat, coriander and bay leaves until they because thick and saucy. Then added all the acidic parts to the pork (which was per the babish video so it was orange juice, vinegar, lemon juice and tequila) and marinaded that for a few hours before slow cooking for about 4.

The beans also got rec-cooked with some garlic and onion, and mashed up a little.

now i've also got heaps of beans left over and I got to make black beans and eggs for breakfast.

I've wanted to try puerco pibil since I saw that episode of Babish, but I no longer have a real oven. I wonder if it can be done in a slow cooker.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Yo Zonugal how much was that 5 pound plate of food?

$16

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    I was just served the biggest burrito I've ever been served that wasn't explicitly an eating challenge
    Spoilered for massive burrito. The picture doesn't even do the scale justice:
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

“Medium”.

Really talk, there’s a spot called Pepe’s in Southern California, and their burritos are big, big boys. About that size, maybe a bit bigger.

I'm gonna need location details

http://www.pepesmexicanfood.com/

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I was just served the biggest burrito I've ever been served that wasn't explicitly an eating challenge
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

“Medium”.

Really talk, there’s a spot called Pepe’s in Southern California, and their burritos are big, big boys. About that size, maybe a bit bigger.

Huh. Apparently naming your restaurant Pepe's is good luck. Or bad, depending on your point of view. There's a chain in Chicagoland that's been running since the Sixties too: "Pepe’s concept began in 1954 as a taqueria in Chicago. Pepe’s Incorporated has been franchising Pepe’s Mexican Restaurants since 1967."

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Pictures, please. I'd understand if you ate it too quickly to have the chance because I would have too.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

I've wanted to try puerco pibil since I saw that episode of Babish, but I no longer have a real oven. I wonder if it can be done in a slow cooker.

it's tasty. I find that babish doesn't season his meat for long enough, so i would recommend rubbing the pork bits with the salt and spices and leaving it overnight, and then doing the rest about 2 hours before you put it on.

Almost certainly can be done in a slow cooker.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

“Medium”.

Oh dang that's not too far from work

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I used to frequent the one in Downey.

I will be making a stop there for a breakfast burrito in June.

sarukun on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    BL that channel is amazing, thank you for introducing me to it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    yesterday i was the catalyst straw that broke the camels back for some poor kid at subway.

That being said two foot long subs with triple meat for 25$ i don't think i'll be eating subway again for awhile.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    ixaWo8o.jpg?1

Fuck my FACE that is one soul-shakingly blood enrichingly fantastic bowl of bones

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    yesterday i was the catalyst straw that broke the camels back for some poor kid at subway.

That being said two foot long subs with triple meat for 25$ i don't think i'll be eating subway again for awhile.

Or pooping

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I imagine it would have given me stomach trouble had i wolfed down those sandwich's

I turned them into four separate meals.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I thought you were implying that you'd eaten both sandwiches in one sitting

I wasn't going to judge you

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I thought you were implying that you'd eaten both sandwiches in one sitting

I wasn't going to judge you

while making intense eye contact with the subway employee who made them

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

Or pooping

I don't know, I have to imagine that if I'd eaten two subway footlongs with triple meat, the digestive reaction would likely eject my spine.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am narrowing in on a much better way to texture my milk for my lattes

I just used my French press then microwaved the resulting foamy milk which was very close to the right texture. Next time less milk and slightly less air so it isn't so floaty and foamy and can actually mix with the crema during the pour instead of sitting on top.

I need more coffee though to brew with.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Did ya'll know about this whole "uncured" bacon being bullshit thing? Here I was focused on that, since sodium nitrates/nitrites might be bad, and it turns out the levels of nitrite in vegetable based cures aren't regulated at all! Fuck!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Did ya'll know about this whole "uncured" bacon being bullshit thing? Here I was focused on that, since sodium nitrates/nitrites might be bad, and it turns out the levels of nitrite in vegetable based cures aren't regulated at all! Fuck!

This feels similar to how modern capitalism destroyed the red delicious apple, which was one of the best apples supposedly, and was changed into a mealy gross apple of garbage over time to make it last longer in the store and keep its firetruck red appearance the whole time instead of having a slightly lighter tint or some green spots.

And then suddenly people were like "no this is gross" and decided to switch to better apples.

I imagine gross and unhealthy food will fall into the same problem over time? It's why people don't buy canned veggies as much anymore. It's also why frozen is starting to gain traction because, as long as it's the right type of frozen, it often times tastes better and has more nutrients. Though it is not as versatile as fresh, so that is the downside.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Yeah, the deli here sells "natural ham with no preservatives added", but it contains "cultured celery extract", which is still nitrites, just with a more positive-sounding name.

Maple_Leaf_Honey_Ham_Natural_Selections_175G-305x500.jpg

(the little "*" next to "no preservatives added" says "other than naturally occurring ones in the ingredients", which is not exactly a lie, but is still pretty misleading-on-purpose)

Another discussion of this stuff.
    Cultured celery extract is a natural source of nitrites and meat products that contain this substance have as much - and in some cases more - nitrites than the processed meats that list sodium nitrite on their labels.

Hmm. Maybe they fixed that; the maple leaf website now has it looking like this, without any dubious no-preservative claims:

10875-MLNS-Smoked-Black-Forest-Ham-175g.png

(fake edit: I guess they did that years ago, I just didn't notice)

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    We moved to a new neighborhood 6 months ago.

We'd JUST found a good local pizza joint that delivered. It was delicious, reasonably priced, SUPER garlicky.

I just tried to order from them for the 2nd time, only to find out theyre closed for good.

I am SO MAD.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    keqboaxtjvoa.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    We moved to a new neighborhood 6 months ago.

We'd JUST found a good local pizza joint that delivered. It was delicious, reasonably priced, SUPER garlicky.

I just tried to order from them for the 2nd time, only to find out theyre closed for good.

I am SO MAD.

This happened to me too.

:(

• Options
    That's happened to me like 4 times and I've become numb to it.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Have I told ya'll about the pizza place that's near me?

Firstly, it has 28" XXL pizzas.

Secondly, it has 18" calzones.

Thirdly, it is open 24/7.

Fourthly, I am dead. I'm posting this to tell you that I will die and this place will be my undoing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    24/7 pizza joint? Must be near a big school or university.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Have I told ya'll about the pizza place that's near me?

Firstly, it has 28" XXL pizzas.

Secondly, it has 18" calzones.

Thirdly, it is open 24/7.

Fourthly, I am dead. I'm posting this to tell you that I will die and this place will be my undoing.

A TWENTY-EIGHT inch pizza? Jesus, that's the size of 4 regular large 14" pizzas.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.