As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'd still be shocked if S3&K came out of legal limbo. So expect spinball if anything. Maybe 3D blast if they really hate us.

Really happy/surprised to see castle and world of illusion there. Maybe we can hope for Aladdin.

Everyone says S3&K is in legal limbo, but we managed to get loads of S3&K stuff in Sonic Mania.

There's more than ample plausible deniability that Mania is a legally distinct product. Especially if they weren't using any of the contested music. It's not like they've been holding back the best Sonic game for the hell of it.

Mania featured (very close to original) remixes of music from both halves of Sonic 3+K.

And if they wanted to be real lame about it, the PC soundtrack for em exists...

For three whole levels. Only a minority of the 3&K soundtrack is in dispute. Although that dispute might extend to re-releases of the "same product" even with replacements.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sparkster for Genesis was great, what are you talking about dude.

6sdMeys.png

Seriously though, never cared for Sparkster. On the plus side it was better on the Genesis than the SNES.

Sparkster had a lot of awesome stuff going for it. They expanded the one mech suit boss fight into a whole repeating mode with better design. The jetpack auto charges which lets you take off extremely quickly, meaning the bosses were designed to be faster and more vicious. The bosses themselves are pretty extremely creative and there's kind of a Contra design to them, which I enjoy. Instead of the game just becoming Battletoads hard as RKA does, there's a selectable difficulty with extra content in the harder modes, including essentially a ripped off Super Sonic mechanic. The easier mode is very doable for someone more into Marios or Sonics than Contras or Battletoads, which is smart for a cartoon game about a cute/ cool 90s mascot furry character.

Oh and the style of the graphics is cooler imo. Sparkster himself looks way more professional and dangerous versus chubby and goofy from the first game.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'll be the only one here excited about Landstalker, I guess. Yaaaay!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'll be the only one here excited about Landstalker, I guess. Yaaaay!

I want to be excited for that one, but I never played it. Just admired it from afar.

Then I bought the cart off ebay in the early 2000s and never played it.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That is a kick ass lineup so far. Excited for the other announcements.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Crossing my fingers for the SEGA Channel version of Mega Man: The Wily Wars, since that never got a real release in NA outside of that.

Also pulling for Quackshot, since I have a friend who gushed over it, but I never got to play it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Crossing my fingers for the SEGA Channel version of Mega Man: The Wily Wars, since that never got a real release in NA outside of that.

Also pulling for Quackshot, since I have a friend who gushed over it, but I never got to play it.

Now that we know Disney is on board, I'm really hoping for Quackshot. I guess it is just a matter of if they feel three Disney titles are too many. I just really like that Sega is putting in the leg work to get games we've not seen in these collections on it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    If the US console is getting the US version of Contra: Hard Corps, no thanks. Throw that ROM in the garbage and burn it. Overtuned, unfair, America-hating piece of shit.

The US version of Hard Corps is definitely harder than it should be, but it's still beatable. Trying to get some of the endings, though...I never accomplished that when I was a kid. Not sure if I could do it as an adult, but on the other hand I watched Vinny and Dan from Giant Bomb get all the endings. It took them 26 attempts, though, with each attempt including exhausting all of their continues.

It'd be nice if they included the Japanese version.

I thought it was already known that games include multiple regions?

I thought that too, but then I couldn't find the info that said so. Not saying it's not out there; I didn't look too hard.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Don't all the current emulators have problems with one of the levels in castlevania? The water reflecting or something ? I wonder how that'll be on this.

RickRude wrote: »
    Don't all the current emulators have problems with one of the levels in castlevania? The water reflecting or something ? I wonder how that'll be on this.

I think that's just AtGames emulation having issues with that level. I don't recall having issues with it on my SNES Classic.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Quackshot was super fun at the time. I remember it being a huge game.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Quackshot was like, Baby's First Metroidvania

Not denigrating it, that game was awesome

ACsTqqK.jpg
    SteevL wrote: »

I thought that too, but then I couldn't find the info that said so. Not saying it's not out there; I didn't look too hard.

Castlevania was confirmed to do that for Japan, and I think all games with substantially different versions between regions, but I can't find anything confirming other regions will have that.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    My guess is it'll be easy to hack so you can just put a translated Japanese version on there.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

I think that's just AtGames emulation having issues with that level. I don't recall having issues with it on my SNES Classic.

They fixed it with the Genesis Flashback HD 2018. Be sure to get the second version. It has the SD card slot on the side.

My guess is it'll be easy to hack so you can just put a translated Japanese version on there.

By that standard the game selection is completely irrelevant.

Which, it kind of is, but its not really worth bringing up when talking about what should or shouldn't be in.

Krathoon wrote: »

They fixed it with the Genesis Flashback HD 2018. Be sure to get the second version. It has the SD card slot on the side.

I'll hold out for this year's model. :)

By that standard the game selection is completely irrelevant.

Which, it kind of is, but its not really worth bringing up when talking about what should or shouldn't be in.

I just think the multi region stuff is so niche the only people who would care about it would be the same people likely to hack it.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The US version of Hard Corps is definitely harder than it should be, but it's still beatable.
    Technically so is basically every video game. Doesn't make some of them not overtuned, frustrating, bullshit. I'm not a 20 year old game QA tester with 8 hours a day to master a game. I don't wanna suffer through your masochistic torture ROM.

forty on
    Did you see what Google did for Easter? Push the "I'm Feeling" button.

Missed it. What was it?

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Found this on YouTube. (Better than me trying to describe it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaoq0w3JPvI

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    There are actually some pretty good Atari 2600 games. You just have to dig around.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There are actually some pretty good Atari 2600 games. You just have to dig around.

I see what you did there

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Nintendo's ebay account appears to have sold out all of its refurbished SNES Classics. Farewell to a neat little system with a pretty good quality SNES emulator.

Fortunately retailers will never run out of PSX classics to put our SNES games on.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Fortunately retailers will never run out of PSX classics to put our SNES games on.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but apparently Best Buy's resorted to giving them away free with the purchase of a PS4 Pro.

Soooooo yeah. Sony's out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'd buy one for $20.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I'd turn down the free one.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Eh I've gotten a lot of use out of mine. Hacked it, paired with an 8Bitdo, played a lot of great games on it. It's not amazing but as a device to plug in and fiddle with, it's fun

Dirty wrote: »
    I'd buy one for $20.

It's 30% off on Target Cartwheel, after being reduced to $40... So like $28 something.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    20 DOLLARS!!! NEXT!!

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I'd turn down the free one.

You can actually refuse the free one in that offer if you want.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I want a psone mini
    for 20 bucks

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Maybe I jumped the gun about the refurbished SNES Classics being sold out, because Nintendo has them on their online store.

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I was at a Comic Con in Canada yesterday and saw a PS Classic for sale for $169.99. European SNES Classics were available at the same booth for $150. I got my PS Classic for $40.

I really hope no one bites on that absurd price.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
    So someone made a patch for Gradius III so that it runs with no slowdown thus making it impossible to beat run like a dream! Here's a video from a few days ago of it in action:

https://youtu.be/cQ04tUnZjNc

There's an explanation of how it works in this Nintendolife article.
    Fast forward to 2019 and that issue is on its way to being fixed in a very clever way indeed. Vitor Valela is working on a hack to add SA1 chip support to the game, routing all the calculations that used to go to the SNES's CPU and PPU to the SA1 instead. Despite still needing to tackle several issues regarding stability and keeping a correct overall clock speed when the game is running, the initial work on this is already quite promising.

The SA1 (or Super Accelerator 1) graced such games as Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Kirby's Dreamland 3 and even Konami's very own Japanese exclusive Parodius 3: Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius. It had several different uses within each game, but the fact that it had a clock speed of 10.74 MHz compared to the SNES's internal 3.58 MHz certainly helps to explain the technical wizardry Vilela is getting out of Gradius III.

I tested it out today and can confirm it even runs on the default SNES Classic emulator with a little finagling. Very cool!