As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I must be missing something. Was there something in your discard pile (from headbutt) that allowed you to do 592 damage? (some X card maybe?)

I thought it was more "look, I have 23 Energy, enough block for days, and the Transient isn't even doing damage anymore. I have nothing else to do..." rather than "I'm about to kill the Transient"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I must be missing something. Was there something in your discard pile (from headbutt) that allowed you to do 592 damage? (some X card maybe?)

I thought it was more "look, I have 23 Energy, enough block for days, and the Transient isn't even doing damage anymore. I have nothing else to do..." rather than "I'm about to kill the Transient"

Ah, thats the part I was missing. Sorry, carry on!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just had an A19 Defect run fall short on the Act 2 Bronze Automaton boss. For relics, I had Gold-Plated Cables, Nuclear Battery, and the Runic Capacitor for Orb synergy. For cards, I had x3 Ball Lightning, x2 Coolheaded, Glacier, Doom & Gloom, x2 Equilibrium, Rainbow, and Panacea+.

All I need was 1 Biased Cognition (or any Focus) and I think I could have beaten the game. So frustrating when you have everything you need except scaling!

tf2 voice: "I NEED SCALING!"

I think that about sums up the Slay the Spire experience in general.

Going live, come keep me company on a bleak day while we try and make it bleaker for the spire

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Had another A19 Defect run deck get all the way to the final boss. It had all the good stuff going for it: Ball Lightnings, no Strikes, Ice Orbs, Defrags, and Buffer. Basically your standard heavy Power-focused deck that just wrecked everything in my path...

..except, of course, The Awakened One.

SIGH

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Had another A19 Defect run deck get all the way to the final boss. It had all the good stuff going for it: Ball Lightnings, no Strikes, Ice Orbs, Defrags, and Buffer. Basically your standard heavy Power-focused deck that just wrecked everything in my path...

..except, of course, The Awakened One.

SIGH

If it's any consolation, i had a heart killing deck ready and rearing to go.

Then Deca squashed me like a bug.

I was unpleased.

On the flipside: Act 1. 4 elites. No campfires. Oh and no sniping elites either.

Imma say the rewards were worth it:
    E4E01785C50AC424FFA681EB43646C7C7AA77A80

The lack of upgrades though...

• Options
    edited April 2019
    60 wins! with a 2-0 to boot. I'm afraid the above Silent run was not one of them - It met Time Eater. We mourn it well.

The winning decks were pretty stylish though!

Deck 1 was another Pyramid/Blizzard deck... that nearly collapsed at the final hurdle thanks to a combination of weird draws exploding the A4 elites... before it could echo Self-Repair, and then drawing REALLY badly against hte heart. So it had to fight the heart at 40 hp. This was not good.

The Result? it won on 2 hp, having died at one point during the fight and literally only surviving thanks to the power of Torii, 2x Thorns pot AND Static Discharge+ (which is crazy vs the heart). Super tense! Not asahmed to admit i reloaded here, it was worth it to see that 2 hp win happen. Good example of the difference that Callipers and Loop can make - compare this to my previous Defect deck, and note just how much harder time it had, despite having some arguably better options.
    78640322D65C21B5B523AD3A3C7A3DBEA85F87D4

The Ironclad run was a fully armed and operational battlestation that at one point crunched awoken one with a 350ish damage Heavy Blade.

By which i mean, 2x Demon form. 2x Reaper Spice with Snecko eye and smattering of Feed, serve. To BLOODY FIELD OF BATTLE WITH THE CORPSES OF YOUR FOES EVERYWHERE AND EVERYWHEN.

Poor, poor Heart. Poor poor everything, really. It's very hard to keep up with Ironclad that gains 6 strength per turn, and once i finally found corruption to go with the three feel no pains?

Yeah.

Nothing survived. (I like how you can see the early form of the deck was doing something entirely different).
    1A7C1FCE79B0C31E5740974ADF6A82933E3AFD79https://www.twitch.tv/videos/414405609[/spoiler}

40 more till 100 wins!

@MNC Dover Thanks for tuning it too, it's always nice to have company =D

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Welp, might've taken me a good long while, but I finally got my first Slay the Spire win. It was with Defect, not with Ironclad (I'd had a hangup on going in order.)

But then I realized that was silly and started playing the others more. Defect spoke to me with the fun orb mechanics.
    2C148ABD8D7A8AFCB86BA6645438FD0DE4C8CF42
    Getting Mummified Hand early on and then picking up a good number of Powers is a pretty good strategy. Who knew?

The 4 Storm cards turned out to be the real mvp. And funnily enough, the Heatsinks+ was gained very late and only played as the very last card that killed the Act 3 boss.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nice, that looks like a super solid deck/relic setup.

Steam profile
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Lots of storms is my favorite defect deck, but it's not great at Asc. 20 in my attempts

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I like Claw decks on Defect, Poison decks on Silent, and -HP->Str decks on Ironclad.

• Options
    Current Ironclad run

Got a rupture and an early Pain curse (warped tongs)

Then I got a regal pillow, took an eternal feather act I boss, bought the relic that gives 5hp for drinking a potion, got a blood vial, got a pentograph, then took a white elephant on Act II

Probably not enough healing to make the heart dead tho. Needed some reapers at some point (have 2 offerings, 2 limit breaks also)

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Notch 61 on the belt: A Runic Dome/Coffe Dripper Heart kill.

I've never killed the heart with Runic Dome before, so that's a new thing too ( i still hate runic dome just for the record)

Gambled heavily at the start with a transform on a strike and defend, scored Biased Cog and Glacier. So my damage was in the shitter, but everything else was grand. Clutch Lee's Waffle got me... Darkstone. thanks game. Okay, it got me a Coolheaded+ too, which was worth way more than darkstone.

Managed to fail at self-repairing in the Elite fight, so i had to take the heart on at 26 hp. Sub-optimal! Very sub-optimal D: Thankfully, a thorns pot and power pot i carried for most of act 3 let me score the win on the heart (just.)
    6ADBE6A320011A272733177AA23E36E9BC90C8C9

70 kills, I AM COMING FOR YOU

Edit: Honestly @Burtletoy I'd worry about your output with only 3e - None of your boss relics DO anything in a fight. They'll get you to fights for sure though.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Finally got an Ironclad heart kill with a bottled Demon Form, Limit Break+, a couple Reapers, and an Exhume+, among many other tools. I was on the razor’s edge a few times, trying to build strength to Reap my health back. I got a lucky cursed key for killing the armor in Act 2 followed up by a lucky anti-curse relic in the next shop. Got the Bite event. Just a lot of things coming together.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    @joshofalltrades Congrats dude! Which ascension level? (either way, badass!)

Also, i'm live currently if anyone wants to tune in. Insomniac Spire powers, ACTIVATE

• Options
    Only Ascension 5. I’m doing every ascension level with every character so it’s slow going. They’re all at 6 now.

• Options
    Only Ascension 5. I’m doing every ascension level with every character so it’s slow going. They’re all at 6 now.

I did that until I ended up just playing Ironclad like 100x as much :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    So it looks like @The Zombie Penguin and I are going to do a co-op stream! We're still working out the day/time details, but know that it will be soon™.

Anyone care to tune in and watch the fun?!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So it looks like @The Zombie Penguin and I are going to do a co-op stream! We're still working out the day/time details, but know that it will be soon™.

Read: lots of me going DOVER WHY or DOVER NO.

This is definitely how you do a co-op stream, 110%

• Options

With lots of:

"But we HAVE to take that Entrench+ because we MIGHT find Barricade!"
    "No Dover the odds of that are...."
    "Look a Barricade+!"
    "......"

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

With lots of:

"Look a Barricade+!"
    "......"

Presumably followed by "...and this is why Barricade was a bad plan"

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Wish I could watch!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Wish I could watch!

Is there a reason you wont be able to? We'll be hosting on my channel, so there'll defintely be vods of it!

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Oh, I'm just at work. Glad there'll be vods. :)

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    I'd like to watch, but I generally seem to be busy during Zombie's streams :P

Steam profile
  • Options

I did that until I ended up just playing Ironclad like 100x as much :P

Ironclad for me is feast or famine. Either I’m completely dominating everything or I’m struggling with basic fights, and nothing in between.

• Options

With lots of:

"Look a Barricade+!"
    "......"

Presumably followed by "...and this is why Barricade was a bad plan"

"Wow! A Body Slam+!!"
    "It won't save us from the..."
    "I can't believe I beat the Heart!"
    "But we're on A19!"
    "I know, crazy right?!"

TUNE IN FOLKS OR WATCH THE VODS!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm having second thoughts about this, Dover =p

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Dover if Penguin backs out I'll be the devil on your shoulder that does all the good things you should totally do and not listen to Penguin because his ideas are bad and stink like fart.

Prismatic Shard might get us the three Claws that win the run you're totally right.

butts
  • Options
    Prismatic Shard got me like “DON’T... TEMPT ME, FRODO!”

• Options
    Look, is it possible to get Orbs on Ironclad or Silent? If so, we going Shard all day.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Look, is it possible to get Orbs on Ironclad or Silent? If so, we going Shard all day.

Shard gives you an orb slot. Just one, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

What if we get Capacitor?!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Then you get more orb slots.....?

I'm kind of confused if you are actually asking these questions or not :lol:

Steam profile
  • Options

Then you get more orb slots.....?

I'm kind of confused if you are actually asking these questions or not :lol:

I’m creating an internal plan for the next time I can get Shard.

Also, a DLC tease?!

bpzhmvkbufaf.jpeg

Probably just having fun, but I know they said new content is being worked on alongside console ports. Give us moer!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    @MNC Dover if you buy shard on stream with me...

Honestly, I want them to remove shard from the shop, and instead create an act 1? Or so event that offers you shard (probably bake in a question card effect to it) so that it's actually an interesting and possible choice rather than 'throwaway your gold' (at least at high asc)

Like have it offer you several choices, and one is shard with other rewards (maybe an instant libary that lets you pick a few cards?)

• Options
    If we're talking about removing worthless relics, what's up with the runic dodecahedron?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    If we're talking about removing worthless relics, what's up with the runic dodecahedron?

It's fine? You just need the right deck. I've posted a few vods here where I've used it to good effect. It's a way to take a deck that's good at defending or sustaining isle, and increase it's output.

The issue with Shard is that buying it actively makes you chances to win worse. Outside of gimmick runs, there's just no reason to dilute the synergies you can see like that. As opposed to Dodecahedron, which is simply niche and tends to be best in apparition or bite based decks.

Which is fine. Not every relic it card has to be good all the times, but they should have niches (and be good in those niches)

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Shard is fun. Fun is the point. Doesn't have to be good to fit that niche either.

And, in my opinion, dodecahedron is bad and also not fun. I always pick the heart key thing instead if I get it offered in a chest. That and dark stone parapet

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I think if there's one thing that's bothersome about dodecahedron it's that it's kind of a "win more" relic. There are lots of relics that can be "more or less useless" (though in practice will often do SOMETHING even if marginal). But RD is rarely going to be the relic that makes your deck work (and lots of times it won't do anything at all). I might like it better as a shop-exclusive relic so you had the choice of when to invest, which feels fair and similar to Chemical X and Spoon (the other relics I can think of that can actually do literally nothing without a deck to support them). I think the main reason it isn't in that category is that at lower ascension levels when you don't start with damage it's actually stupidly reliable.

[Edit]
    Actually, I'd really like RD tied to a unique event where you roll it and get different effects based on the result, with something like 12 getting you full heal + the relic, which makes it a little more "generally worthwhile" and at least gives you a chance to leverage it when you obtain it.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I think if there's one thing that's bothersome about dodecahedron it's that it's kind of a "win more" relic. There are lots of relics that can be "more or less useless" (though in practice will often do SOMETHING even if marginal). But RD is rarely going to be the relic that makes your deck work (and lots of times it won't do anything at all). I might like it better as a shop-exclusive relic so you had the choice of when to invest, which feels fair and similar to Chemical X and Spoon (the other relics I can think of that can actually do literally nothing without a deck to support them). I think the main reason it isn't in that category is that at lower ascension levels when you don't start with damage it's actually stupidly reliable.

[Edit]
    Actually, I'd really like RD tied to a unique event where you roll it and get different effects based on the result, with something like 12 getting you full heal + the relic, which makes it a little more "generally worthwhile" and at least gives you a chance to leverage it when you obtain it.

I like the idea of that event. i can definitely see the feeling of it being Win More.

@Burtletoy I agree fun is the point - i'd actually like to be able to take Prismatic Shard, hence the want for it to show up in a event that makes it tempting to take, rather than feeling like i'm throwing away my gold. Winning is fun for me, and Prismatic Shard has never been the sort of "This will help me win" fun. If that makes sense? whereas i've totally had moments where Dodecahedron was the hero i needed.

On this note, going live (Because i belive in making it hard for @kime to watch me stream =D)

The Zombie Penguin on