As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The JK's Banshee variant that isn't garbage did great service until I finally managed to cap an Atlas. I still haven't formally retired it, though I haven't brought it out to play in awhile.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'm fast approaching the point where I can fill out two lances of just Orions. Okay guys, enough, time to start hunting assaults I guess.

I ended up taking the advice about swapping the Grasshopper into more of a skirmisher. All medium lasers, 4 machine guns, 2 flamers. Should probably be 6 machine guns but I had the flamers sitting around and figured "why not?".

I prefer small lasers or flamers but *shrug* whatever loads your cannon.

I mean, in all honesty I can stick Decker in his own Orion at this point :P

In MWO: There's not much more disheartening than finding out at the end you had an AFK SRM Jenner, and the enemy team was a red CT assault with one ERML left and a beat up and legged light.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I mean, in all honesty I can stick Decker in his own Orion at this point :P

In MWO: There's not much more disheartening than finding out at the end you had an AFK SRM Jenner, and the enemy team was a red CT assault with one ERML left and a beat up and legged light.

Yeah that always sucks, or finding out your disconnect was a medium with a really good load out. But in reality that Jenner would have died earlier and you would have still lost to the assault and legged light.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    This thread convinced me to scrap my Dragon instead of holding it "just in case."
    Why did they bother with crating objectively mediocre mechs in BT? Is it Canon?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    You'll find that many mechs in their default loadout are aggressively mediocre. Davion and Steiner variants are usually better, as by default they tend to be heavier on the armour.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    This thread convinced me to scrap my Dragon instead of holding it "just in case."

Honestly, I always felt like the Dragon was meant mainly as a mech for the AI; to provide a slight bump in difficulty to the player for those early mid tier skull missions. I also think the Dragon sorta suffers from the limited weapon choices in the game, having stuff like Ultra ACs or LBX cannons would probably make it more viable (it's actually a decent mech in MWO). But it's one of those mechs that sucks unless you put a lot of exotic stuff in it and a pilot with high skills to utilize its speed, but if you do that, now you have a mediocre chassis that's too expensive to lose. (There's also the other issue that the Shadowhawk is so insanely good, that's it hard to justify much else over taking it until you get to the better heavies like the Orion)

Dark_Side on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Lore. The mech loadouts are ported straight from tabletop, which tried to use real-world military justifications for their construction. Many needed to be multi-role, hence the typical variety of weapons, and intended to fight a wider variety of targets from infantry to aerospace fighters. That's why some waste a huge amount of tonnage for AC2s or why so many have one practically vestigial small laser or MG. "Bad" designs were usually the result of budgetary, political, or supply issues, though straight up poor decision making and mismanagement had it's part too.

In this game, the introduction of the initiative phases left some designs like the dragon that sacrifice a lot of tonnage for higher movement at a disadvantage. In my opinion, they probably should have provided an initiative bonus for those mechs or an initiative penalty for those that dropped engine size for more tonnage. I probably would have only used a +/- 1 phase adjustment from their weight classifications so you don't end up doing things like putting a poor urbanmech in the assault phase.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    IMO: just look at the useful tonnage of a mech bare of armor and equipment. Compare it to others in or above their class. Make your determination on that. About half the mechs have less useful tonnage than the others of their class. A bare handful of them have more tonnage available than the ones above the subpar ones. E.G. medium mechs with 27 tons of useful weight like the Shadowhawk vs ones with less, like the Jenner. Or the Highlander B vs. the Highlander.

The Dragon's base loadout is indeed canon: Dragon IIRC all of the mechs you initially see in game have the canon loadouts.

I tend to agree that it's the tech availability (and the inability to modify further than weapon loadout and armor distribution, but I can't complain too much on that end since it makes a lot more sense given you're a merc unit in the ass end of nowhere).

You can modify the armor distribution, but you can’t use endosteel or different engines or whatever, so whatever the useful weight of the mech is defines how good you can make it, with some allowance for restrictions on allowed parts.

edited April 2019
    At least in MWO you're not losing money and downtime every time someone blows off a valuable piece of kit, which allows you to run much higher risk v reward builds (XL engine basically mandatory on a DRG as an example), which helps you work around chassis limitations waaay easier than you can in BT.

Dark_Side on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Orca wrote: »
    IMO: just look at the useful tonnage of a mech bare of armor and equipment. Compare it to others in or above their class. Make your determination on that. About half the mechs have less useful tonnage than the others of their class. A bare handful of them have more tonnage available than the ones above the subpar ones. E.G. medium mechs with 27 tons of useful weight like the Shadowhawk vs ones with less, like the Jenner. Or the Highlander B vs. the Highlander.

This (bolded) is the problem. HBS took something that in tabletop is little more than a descriptor with no mechanical meaning, and ascribed mechanics to it without thought to certain outliers or "less capable" designs (the fast, lighter 'Mechs of each category, typically). Some of these designs (thinking the Cicada and the Dragon specifically) are good to great in tabletop.

SiliconStew has the right of it; tabletop has in-universe reasons (cost, availability, politics, etc.) for why each 'Mech design is the way it is, and the artificial weight classes have zero bearing on a 'Mech's design. BT doesn't take much of that in-universe reasoning into consideration. I kind of wish it did more.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    At least in MWO you're not losing money and downtime every time someone blows off a valuable piece of kit, which allows you to run much higher risk v reward builds (XL engine basically mandatory on a DRG as an example), which helps you work around chassis limitations waaay easier than you can in BT.

Anymore. Holy crap...just imagine the gnashing of teeth and/or population issues the game would have if they'd kept in rearm/repair as a mechanic.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Anymore. Holy crap...just imagine the gnashing of teeth and/or population issues the game would have if they'd kept in rearm/repair as a mechanic.

I had no idea repairing was ever even in MWO. Wow.

Along with salvage. Was fun to get a random SRM2 or some other piece of equipment.

oosik_betsuni.png
    So most annoying scenario. I only had one part of the event to do (destroy component). Ran my Piranha figuring I can destroy 20 easy. Got it down to the last one. 5 matches later and I still couldn't get one part destroyed. Lots of kills, but no destroyed. Figured everyone is focusing on Piranhas again so jumped into my 5 MG and 2MPL Speedy Vapor Eagle. Next three matches my MG arm is taken off.

So decided to give in and copy Baradul's 2ERPPC, 5MG Poptart build. First match I'm on the new map. Run all over the place since our team spread out to capture points. Somehow I managed to get behind the entire enemy team. Core out two Heavies before their team realizes that I'm behind them. Just then our team pushes in on them. Chaos ensues and I take out two more heavies (one was a 2LRM20 Catapult). After that I die to a enemy since my armor is paper thin. We win by killing the last light and cap the points.

After all that I only destroyed one piece... Event complete, but what the heck!!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Decided to take a break from leveling mechs in MWO and start practicing with ones I had fully leveled.

WHM-6D with 3 LL/6 ERML? 3 wins and a loss, with the loss being something like a 9-12 slugfest.
    CRB-27B with 6 MPL? 3 wins before I called it for a night.

Both are mechs I'm underwater on wins on, so that was nice.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Along with salvage. Was fun to get a random SRM2 or some other piece of equipment.

Salvage was all in cbill value, no items.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    There was a point where you did get items though. Was that only in the beta? I remember getting some Medium Lasers that I could equip on mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Remember paying for ammo restock? "Good" times.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    I mean, if it's not an Orion, is it really worth the title "Heavy Mech"?

Looking at you in particular, Dragon.

I've got two Dragons, and despite kitting one as a straight-up physical combatant (MGs and Punch Mods) and the other as a short-range brawler (MLs and SRMs), neither feels particular good.

It's a similar problem to the Cicada: it's a heavier 'Mech pretending to be something lighter than it is. It's fine but it loses something in the translation to BT.

:x

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Remember paying for ammo restock? "Good" times.

I guess that stuff is why the website is mwomercs?
    Off work on Friday, and miracle of miracles, daycare was open AND kid didnt get sick the night before. Got half my CD collection finally digitized, packed for Easter weekend, did laundry, dishes, AND got through all the challenges in MWO.
    I love the theory behind rocket launcher Marauder II, but I cannot get them to work. I play them like SRMs, but always forget about the arming distance.

monkeykins on
    I never realized that Rockets have an arm distance till this thread. Now I have to plan my Urbie attack arm differently.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I never realized that Rockets have an arm distance till this thread. Now I have to plan my Urbie attack arm differently.

Dafuq? That's not canon at all. What the hell, PGI?

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I mean, if it's not an Orion, is it really worth the title "Heavy Mech"?

Looking at you in particular, Dragon.

I've got two Dragons, and despite kitting one as a straight-up physical combatant (MGs and Punch Mods) and the other as a short-range brawler (MLs and SRMs), neither feels particular good.

It's a similar problem to the Cicada: it's a heavier 'Mech pretending to be something lighter than it is. It's fine but it loses something in the translation to BT.

:x

Listen, I knew every word I was writing was loosing an arrow at your heart, DaMoon. I'm sorry! But BT does Dragons a bit dirty.

I still love them in TT, where their uniqueness isn't kneecapped by an arbitrary mechanic.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Dafuq? That's not canon at all. What the hell, PGI?

Probably to make sure you're forced to be far back enough for it to spread a bit. Otherwise you'd have things like Griffin 2Ns with 4x Rocket 20s and two pulse mlas beginning every fight sneaking up behind the assaults with ECM and insta-coring two of them with point-blanks to the rear CT with a 92 damage alpha.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2019
    Also, do UAVs detect shut down 'mechs?

Just had a match in Forest Colony Classic in my 4SP. Accidentally lemming'd myself up to the crash ship with no backup, figured what the hell, deploy my UAV and get some detection bonuses on the mechs I knew were on the other side.

Well, one of them was an Annialator, and he got wrecked by all the LRMs that were coming down on him. So I pop my head out to see what was happening on the other side. It looked like he was shut down, like he was trying to break the lock, and I didn't have a BAP, but I and the Lurmers were still able to target him.

...so I blew off both side torsos. Ending up getting cored before I could do much else, but it was still 7 assists and ~370ish damage with a boatload of UAV and spotting bonuses.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Campaign is done. It took 77 hours according to Steam.

I'm unwilling to try Career mode at this time. Perhaps I'll try when the next DLC drops.

Foefaller wrote: »

Just had a match in Forest Colony Classic in my 4SP. Accidentally lemming'd myself up to the crash ship with no backup, figured what the hell, deploy my UAV and get some detection bonuses on the mechs I knew were on the other side.

Well, one of them was an Annialator, and he got wrecked by all the LRMs that were coming down on him. So I pop my head out to see what was happening on the other side. It looked like he was shut down, like he was trying to break the lock, and I didn't have a BAP, but I and the Lurmers were still able to target him.

...so I blew off both side torsos. Ending up getting cored before I could do much else, but it was still 7 assists and ~370ish damage with a boatload of UAV and spotting bonuses.

I am not sure about UAVs. I normally would say it should, but the coding spaghetti could make it not work. At first I was thinking you were scanning a stealth armor mech (which the UAV will spot), but you said Annihilator and I know those don't have ECM. So guessing the UAV does spot shut down mechs, or it was coming online and they just were not moving yet.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I'm unwilling to try Career mode at this time. Perhaps I'll try when the next DLC drops.

Do you mean you just completed the final Campaign mission or you have finished that and all the other DLC stuff besides? I ask because the game doesn't tell you that all the Flashpoint DLC stuff (if you have it) doesn't even start until after the Campaign is finished.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Do you mean you just completed the final Campaign mission or you have finished that and all the other DLC stuff besides? I ask because the game doesn't tell you that all the Flashpoint DLC stuff (if you have it) doesn't even start until after the Campaign is finished.

...shit.

edited April 2019

I am not sure about UAVs. I normally would say it should, but the coding spaghetti could make it not work. At first I was thinking you were scanning a stealth armor mech (which the UAV will spot), but you said Annihilator and I know those don't have ECM. So guessing the UAV does spot shut down mechs, or it was coming online and they just were not moving yet.

Would seem kinda weird if it spotted stealth armor mechs but not shutdown ones. I guess he was trying to break the locks by shutting down, not knowing it would do nothing because of the UAV.

Also, it seems like the secret to my 4SP is to tweak the loadout regularly; every time I do so I seem to do amazing in the very next match. Dropped two tons of MRM ammo when I started to realize I almost never go through 800 MRMs, much less 1600, and traded out the ERs for 5 regular mlas. This turned out to be great timing, because the next match I lost both launchers to crits about halfway, and instead managed surgical precision with the lasers to destroy something like 8 components and get 3 killing blows even though I did less than 400 damage.

This also came after I followed some friendly advice during a frustrating yet successful* duel with a light in the MAD to adjust my mouse and aiming settings. That seems to have helped quite a bit.

*Successful in that he failed to core or leg me before time ran out with us in the lead. Admittingly, it was a major own goal on his part, because all my weapons were gone with a minute and a half to go yet he didn't seem to realize he could just stand there and shoot and I wouldn't be able to do squat about it. Instead he still kept with the hide & seek potshots like I might core him with lasers that no longer worked.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

I believe BAP and UAVs can both reveal shut down mechs. I believe there is a special case with ECM where you can target a mech, but if you are within 90m, the ECM can prevent you from sharing the lock with the rest of your team.

I have no idea if the ECM effect persists through a shutdown. That's where the crazy code spaghetti takes effect. I know for awhile you'd keep equipment bonuses, like from TCs, even if it blew up with part of your mech.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Nips I had mine set up with +1 initiative and basically ran it like an endgame scout/spotter that could actually take a hit

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Or you could just run another assault and do something useful...

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

The only counters to active stealth armor are tags/narcs/ppcs I believe. UAV's won't.

I would download a car.
    The first mission in the post game had triple Cyclops :(

My little CRB-27B is now in the black as far as wins go. Would have continued and racked up the score a bit more but I figured I didn't want to push it.
    I also discovered that I had never modified the sensitivity on my mouse in game, which might explain some of my targeting issues. My DRG is now much more interesting to play.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Wait, mouse sensitivity does something? I'll be honest, I never really unlock my arms, since I exclusively build my weapon groupings around range and click frequency.