As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ...I really need to learn how to write cURL commands properly instead of using working commands as a template for syntax.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oh, Puppet. You tricksy tricksy scamp.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    .co is a valid domain tld

so someone probably owns gmail.co for the express purpose of eating that

I'd be really iffy on gmail going "did you mean gmail.com?" on things like this because that could be predatory itself.

It's not like they don't already randomly break email by stripping periods out of any gmail.com addresses.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I mean, it’s not as if google breaking another RFC would surprise anyone.

@SiliconStew I think stripping those out is valid in the SMTP spec...

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah you can do whatever you want once the email gets to you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm buying Raspberry Pis and a 3D printer and I'm going to become a drone rigger.

I have four Raspberries, a 3D printer and five ESP8266:s on my desk. Where's my drone rig?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    oh shit google actually owns .co ? lol that's funny

Google owns a shitload of variations of google.com to prevent bitsquatting.

Yeah you can do whatever you want once the email gets to you.

Yes, by spec the receiving host can technically do whatever the hell they want with the local part of the address. However, "." is, again by spec, a valid character in an email address. And from that side, "dots-don't-matter" is just as ridiculous as an "E's-don't-matter" stripping policy. From what I've seen, all gmail's munging policy has really done is allow scams and fraud to proliferate and make it more likely for you to get other people's mail.

well if dots mattered then someone could snag your username and just add a dot and theoretically phish quite a bit easier

it's a good idea?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I...I'm not sure what's going on.

I've been working on a new project, and people have been requesting new features, and it got demoed, and approved for a follow up demo next week. And when I said I need to not implement anything new before the next demo because I need to take some time to properly populate our test server database with data and do double checking of our API security, injection testing, and just general stability and performance testing on a larger scale system load...

They said sure, take my time.

Did I die? Is this what heaven is like?

Mvrck wrote: »

I've been working on a new project, and people have been requesting new features, and it got demoed, and approved for a follow up demo next week. And when I said I need to not implement anything new before the next demo because I need to take some time to properly populate our test server database with data and do double checking of our API security, injection testing, and just general stability and performance testing on a larger scale system load...

Look around, are all your colleagues with mustaches and goatees suddenly clean shaven?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ibekkoff7bp3.jpeg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

The far more likely answer is that they lied to you. Or that because they told you take your time on testing for this project, you can juggle another one next week as well, right?

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited April 2019
    I forgot to mention it in here but I had the crazy multi interview on Friday for that Devops position and it went well.

I should hear this week and more information forthcoming. I can say It would be nice to work on a company that does not have it's structure designed from 90's entrepreneur classes as my current and last job have felt.

Seidkona on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I can say It would be nice to work on a company that does not have it's structure designed from 90's entrepreneur classes as my current and last job have felt.

I'm curious what you mean by this

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

I can say It would be nice to work on a company that does not have it's structure designed from 90's entrepreneur classes as my current and last job have felt.

It is a hyperbolic way of saying that the management in both places have no concept of truly taking care of their employees. Pay as little as possible and expect the employee to give everything for it.

I am under no illusions the new place has everything down pat or is perfect but just from the online reviews it looks like they care about their employees as more than the means of production at least a little.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can lie to the help desk, but lying to me does not do you any good.

It is a hyperbolic way of saying that the management in both places have no concept of truly taking care of their employees. Pay as little as possible and expect the employee to give everything for it.

I am under no illusions the new place has everything down pat or is perfect but just from the online reviews it looks like they care about their employees as more than the means of production at least a little.

Ah gotcha

LD50 wrote: »

speaking of

4 people here didn't realize I could tell when they last rebooted their PC

I said, "yeah I can see pretty much everything you do hardware wise to this machine without much effort" and they looked so defeated

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    With SSDs there is no point in complaining about doing a reboot these days. Save your shit, reboot, less than a minute later you are logged back in and the software you had running is back up.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    I added Last Reboot Time to our BGInfo profile as a nudge to people to reboot more often.

speaking of

I said, "yeah I can see pretty much everything you do hardware wise to this machine without much effort" and they looked so defeated

Me: "Okay, I need you to save any open work and restart your machine."

Them: "I rebooted right before I called."

Computer: "Uptime 22:06:41:49"

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

speaking of

Them: "I rebooted right before I called."

Computer: "Uptime 22:06:41:49"

6furrixr4oti.png

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm a big fan of lying

"Ok, I just reset something. Can you reboot and let me know if it worked?"

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    On the same subject, fuck Windows 10 Fast Startup. I swear that most the time people claim to have rebooted but the update does not reflect that is due to Fast Startup. I wish they would disable it by default. It's been a constant pain in my ass since Windows 10 came out.

Some users literally do not know the difference between shutdown, sleep, hibernate, restart, log off, and lock.

TBH, I don't entirely blame them.

That_Guy wrote: »
    On the same subject, fuck Windows 10 Fast Startup. I swear that most the time people claim to have rebooted but the update does not reflect that is due to Fast Startup. I wish they would disable it by default. It's been a constant pain in my ass since Windows 10 came out.

I ran into this a lot with users who were "rebooting" their Surface tablets. The "Restart" option didn't actually power cycle the hardware at all.

Some users literally do not know the difference between shutdown, sleep, hibernate, restart, log off, and lock.

Mine do.

"This is too much of a hassle"

and I say, "being able to not do work is a larger hassle, restart your computer or don't ask for help"

"that's your solution to everything"

"because it's a solution to software that doesn't work or didn't unload something properly"

because I'm not going to explain the motherfucking intricacies of memory, garbage collection, and programs that have ring0 level access fucking shit up. You don't argue with the motherfucking doctor or the plumber when they say "your shit is broke, do this thing"

Mine do.

and I say, "being able to not do work is a larger hassle, restart your computer or don't ask for help"

"because it's a solution to software that doesn't work or didn't unload something properly"

because I'm not going to explain the motherfucking intricacies of memory, garbage collection, and programs that have ring0 level access fucking shit up. You don't argue with the motherfucking doctor or the plumber when they say "your shit is broke, do this thing"

This is a common misnomer. They absolutely do.

Many times I've been standing behind a user and I tell them to "restart" and they just go to "log off."

"Doesn't that restart it?"

No. The option that says 'restart' restarts it.

Alternatively many times I've told a user to log off and they do Windows+L

The good thing is, at least 95% of the time, logging off will fix some issues.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Mine do.

Bloody this. I can't count the number of times I've gotten pushback for a simple reboot request. I've pretty much just resorted to the "look more often than not, it just works ok? I don't know the finer details, but this will generally get you up and running."

Thankfully after about 1 or 2 incidents of these, the customer's I've dealt with usually click with "oh yeah that worked last time huh?" and just do it on their own and don't bother us, but others are a bit more...forgetful about that than I'd like...

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

My favorite is when they made it a gigantic pain in the ass to boot to safe mode or from a USB, and official MS statements were claiming 'sorry but Windows 10 just boots soooo fast it's impossible to make this option more accessible'

Fortunately that's better, and even working with Surfaces now it's easy to get to the BIOS menus, but jfc the hubris. Microsoft really seems to hate IT people sometimes.

*power cycles monitor*

Mine do.

"OK"
    shutdown /r /f /t 0 /m \\machinename

TL DR wrote: »

*power cycles monitor*

Oh yeah. This one too.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Yeah I feel like Fast Startup is a solution that came 10 years too late and is now adding more problems than it solves.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Just ditch fast startup and include an option on reboot like Macs have that will re-open any files or programs you have open, problem solved.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27

*power cycles monitor*

True story I think I've talked about on here before: At my old job this happened to the point where I had to drive many miles to the remote site to reboot a workstation. Nobody at the remote site could find the PC.

Thawmus wrote: »

*power cycles monitor*

True story I think I've talked about on here before: At my old job this happened to the point where I had to drive many miles to the remote site to reboot a workstation. Nobody at the remote site could find the PC.

I don't do much phone support these days but I recall getting pretty good at verifying things by prompting the user to describe what they were seeing - if they didn't specifically mention something that confirmed a reboot, I knew to ask more questions. Getting someone at a remote site to find common ground in recognizing some piece of kit and then guiding them through tracing cables by their description ('blue with thumb screws' for VGA, 'like a fatter phone cable' for ethernet, etc) is an art unto itself.

This discussion has been closed.