As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I just saw a headline that Samsung has sold out of their Folds. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm stoked for it. I really want to live in the world where I can have a phone and a small tablet on me at all times. I use a Note 9 right now because I want a bigger screen when I'm actively using it, but If I could have a device that's say a Nexus 7 size screen that I can fold in half to use as a phone when I'm moving around, that'd be the best.

But yes, the first couple generations of these will not be smart purchases. If I won the lottery today I'd be buying a Fold tomorrow. But otherwise, It's going to be a few years.

I was lucky to spend and hour with the device today while filing in some of my product testing reports. The most impressive aspect is the hand over between the small and fold out screen of applications operating which was a lot faster than I expected and shows how viable Samsung have got the software nailed down already. The product does feel luxury premium quality with the magnetic clasp feel when closing. The folding screen? honestly was underwhelming, the crease can be seen easily as an angle other than face on and can be distracting when watching video.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I just saw a headline that Samsung has sold out of their Folds. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

They sold all twelve of them? :wink:

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Aaaaaaand review units are breaking all over the place.

This is why I'm never an early adopter, even if I can afford it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Shadowfire wrote: »
    Looks like some of the review Folds are breaking. That's cool.

A couple are because of the weird polymer layer Samsung is obsessed with lately. It looks like a screen protector that is meant to be removed after shipping. I can confirm this issue because we've had two Q900 TVs destroyed recently because the film looks like it's supposed to be taken off so people took it off and now the panels are broken.

Come on Samsung...

After I posted this we got another email company wide this time warning field agents against removing the film from the q900.

That might be a problem for Samsung.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This sounds like a mix of "user error" and "Samsung should have had a massive DO NOT REMOVE sticker on the box"

Not sure who is more at fault but this probably looks bad to potential buyers

• Options
    This sounds like a mix of "user error" and "Samsung should have had a massive DO NOT REMOVE sticker on the box"

Not sure who is more at fault but this probably looks bad to potential buyers

The issue is that they look like you can remove them, and a lot of phones and TVs now ship with a film over the screen that is supposed to be removed. In at least one of the cases here the film was already peeled up on the corner so the agent just peeled the rest of the way. Bye bye panel.

• Options
    Oof yeah if they're coming loose before they even get in people's hands that's a big red flag

That's a shame I think the concept is awesome and I hope they keep iterating on the idea. There was always gonna be some stumbles getting something like this to market, I suppose it's all in how Samsung reacts to the problem really.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Oof yeah if they're coming loose before they even get in people's hands that's a big red flag

That's a shame I think the concept is awesome and I hope they keep iterating on the idea. There was always gonna be some stumbles getting something like this to market, I suppose it's all in how Samsung reacts to the problem really.

Yeah this isn't just an iteration of a thing that already exists.

This is quite literally brand new stuff. New design, new tech, new problems.

• Options

Looks like some of the review Folds are breaking. That's cool.

A couple are because of the weird polymer layer Samsung is obsessed with lately. It looks like a screen protector that is meant to be removed after shipping. I can confirm this issue because we've had two Q900 TVs destroyed recently because the film looks like it's supposed to be taken off so people took it off and now the panels are broken.

Come on Samsung...

After I posted this we got another email company wide this time warning field agents against removing the film from the q900.

That might be a problem for Samsung.

I got a similar email and then a message from the field agent showing his gold screen is dead on the left side.

Weird thing ? He didn’t remove the ‘film’. From reports it seems it’s not just the film causing issues. But if these things are breaking under professional testing and with review units breaking in under a week I can only imaging what would happen when consumers get the device.

I have a really bad feeling this is going to get delayed or recalled.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i mean is anyone surprised these things are breaking?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

You would think they just had a team of QA people just sitting there opening and closing the device until it breaks.

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

You would think they just had a team of QA people just sitting there opening and closing the device until it breaks.

From what it looks like it’s incredibly easy for dust and lint to get under the display which destroys it. If you start to close the device there is a considerable gap created.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

Now why would they do that when people are eager to spend $2000 for that privilege?

• Options
    To Samsung's credit, they seem to be replacing all the damaged units so far

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    A actually wonder if Huawei's foldable is better? They've had a knack for the practicable in recent times

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    A actually wonder if Huawei's foldable is better? They've had a knack for the practicable in recent times

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm going from conjecture/hearsay. Do all the panels (Samsung, Huawei, LG, whoever else has a foldable) come from the same fab facility?

• Options

The problem with that one is the display isn’t protected well, only by that plastic cover. You can imagine that against keys in pockets etc..

• Options
    Does anyone actually keep their phone in the same pocket as their keys? I certainly don't.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Does anyone actually keep their phone in the same pocket as their keys? I certainly don't.

People are insane. Having worked with phones in the past, people truly beat the fuck out of their devices. Atleast 1/4 of Apple's revenue is people just buying a replacement device.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

The problem with that one is the display isn’t protected well, only by that plastic cover. You can imagine that against keys in pockets etc..

And at least the pictures I saw had the crease be a lot more noticeable too

steam_sig.png
  • Options

People are insane. Having worked with phones in the past, people truly beat the fuck out of their devices. Atleast 1/4 of Apple's revenue is people just buying a replacement device.

I mean, Apple also actively discourages any kind of repair.

• Options

It’s a cultural shift really with glass based screen protectors, and toughened glass displays to prevent scratches has made people more willing to put phones where they want.

If you think of people who store phones in handbags with makeup, money, keys etc against a thin plastic film on the Mate X is going to be a nightmare.

For me personally I would have actually preferred if the tech was available to use a space grade material something along the lines of grafting sapphire crystal in the thinnest layers on top of the film (I have no idea if it’s possible just an example) and added luxury materials (gold, oyster on the outer case) but charged $5000. It would easily create a market for those who buy Rolex watches etc but also introduce true practicality tech that can make its way down generations later for us consumers.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Snippity snip. Can not figure out how to delete comments on mobile!

exis on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Snippity snip. Can not figure out how to delete comments on mobile!

It's not you - there's no deleting comments on laptops, desktops, PalmPilots or even SPARCstations.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Pixel 3s are half off today only looks like. Really close to pulling the trigger on the 3 to replace my one-foot-in-the-grave 6P.

I think I'd prefer the XL but it's out of stock except for the 128gb gold pink one, which I don't want.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    My regular has been good so far, so if your want the XL I'll give you the always helpful advice of 'put a case on it' :P

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Pixel 3s are half off today only looks like. Really close to pulling the trigger on the 3 to replace my one-foot-in-the-grave 6P.

I think I'd prefer the XL but it's out of stock except for the 128gb gold pink one, which I don't want.

Throw a case on it and they all look the same. I really like my XL, I thought the 5x was a little too small for my hands and the XL feels closer to right.

At 50% off I think they're both a steal.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I went with the black 64gb 3 - I guess it's slightly smaller than the 6p which should be just fine.

Definitely putting a case on it. Almost certainly one from Carved. I'm a total sucker for those wood backed cases.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    So Samsung have officially delayed the release of the Galaxy Fold. This is good news ultimately any additional testing will reap benefits ten fold for the final end user.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you say they'll be foldable ten times? wow!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

That really looks like that's supposed to come off, though.

• Options

That really looks like that's supposed to come off, though.

Yeah, the film on the Q900s looks like it's supposed to come off as well. It's a real bad design flaw as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It looks really unattractive, as well. I feel like if you're paying a couple of grand for a phone, it should probably look like a couple of grand.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thread title needs updating...

• Options
    Related:
    tz6n35l32i7r.png

It's probably a good thing they are pulling back. Isn't this partially why review units go out first?

• Options
    It does make me wonder exactly what Samsung's QA department was actually doing before this.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    It does make me wonder exactly what Samsung's QA department was actually doing before this.

My theory is that this phone was developed in such secrecy, it was never actually tested outside of synthetic tests or by a few people at Samsung HQ.

Like, you know how we sometimes hear stories about prototype phones that are found in cases made to look like older phones? That's happened with a couple iPhone models and that's because Apple seeds the dev phones out to employees and the like to actually test in the wild, while still keeping them under wraps.

There's no way that happened with the Fold because it would have leaked months ago. so, the phone only existed in a lap, with synthetic tests, and never actually got into real people's hands until reviewers got them.

And then.... poof.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    But it seems like "Does the core distinctive feature - the brand new technology that we have developed - of this phone stand up to any degree of actual use?" should be something that they look at at least once? Even if we're talking about minimal testing where it's two guys chained to the desk in a room with ten deadbolts on it that only open from the outside, shouldn't they have

unfolded and folded their foldable phone a few times?

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

My theory is that this phone was developed in such secrecy, it was never actually tested outside of synthetic tests or by a few people at Samsung HQ.

Like, you know how we sometimes hear stories about prototype phones that are found in cases made to look like older phones? That's happened with a couple iPhone models and that's because Apple seeds the dev phones out to employees and the like to actually test in the wild, while still keeping them under wraps.

There's no way that happened with the Fold because it would have leaked months ago. so, the phone only existed in a lap, with synthetic tests, and never actually got into real people's hands until reviewers got them.

And then.... poof.

Pretty much this. If anything Samsung are notorious for creating prototype products that maybe utilise a single feature of a new phone to test out so if it gets leaked, it's only an aspect of the final product. They have done this with every major release since the S3.

For the Fold, I suspect there are around 10-15 different test products that test features that are part of the fold (such as its switching software between two screen sizes and 3x multi tasking). As these would have needed some real world testing. Where as the rest of its aspects were restricted to internal development to avoid leaks.