Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

1434446484963

Posts

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So Trump and his family, for openly cooperating with Russia to undermine American democracy and obstructing justice by repeatedly trying to fire the investigator into his crimes, is getting away scott free because he was too dumb to realize those were crimes and as a result is being hailed as an innocent man and his detractors as irrational crybabies by the MSM.

    Meanwhile, Trudeau, for managing to save 9000 jobs while respecting the letter of the law, is being smeared through the MSM and called a criminal and will likely lose the election because of it to be replaced by the "ethical choice" of the insanely corrpust CPC.

    This makes me furious.

    sig.gif
    ShadowenAridholCaulk Bite 6El Mucho
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Then we need to find ways to support media that isn't buying into the right wing propaganda?

    But we also need to find ways to realize that what Trudeau and company was up to was not about saving jobs and he is not above reproach.

    steam_sig.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Then we need to find ways to support media that isn't buying into the right wing propaganda?

    They're not buying into it, they are actively selling it and benefiting from it. They're not duped, they are active and willing accomplices.
    But we also need to find ways to realize that what Trudeau and company was up to was not about saving jobs and he is not above reproach.

    Aside of their ridiculously bad mishandling of the affair when it became public, I have not heard something to reproach to Trudeau et al., much less something illegal they should be punished for.

    sig.gif
  • ElaroElaro Mister No Fun AllowedRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So Trump and his family, for openly cooperating with Russia to undermine American democracy and obstructing justice by repeatedly trying to fire the investigator into his crimes, is getting away scott free because he was too dumb to realize those were crimes and as a result is being hailed as an innocent man and his detractors as irrational crybabies by the MSM.

    Meanwhile, Trudeau, for managing to save 9000 jobs while respecting the letter of the law, is being smeared through the MSM and called a criminal and will likely lose the election because of it to be replaced by the "ethical choice" of the insanely corrpust CPC.

    This makes me furious.

    Is the CBC really saying that the Cons are the "ethical choice"?

    "Most people don't look at the world through your asshole"
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    So Trump and his family, for openly cooperating with Russia to undermine American democracy and obstructing justice by repeatedly trying to fire the investigator into his crimes, is getting away scott free because he was too dumb to realize those were crimes and as a result is being hailed as an innocent man and his detractors as irrational crybabies by the MSM.

    Meanwhile, Trudeau, for managing to save 9000 jobs while respecting the letter of the law, is being smeared through the MSM and called a criminal and will likely lose the election because of it to be replaced by the "ethical choice" of the insanely corrpust CPC.

    This makes me furious.

    Is the CBC really saying that the Cons are the "ethical choice"?

    No... sorry those quotes were confusing, I shouldn't have used them. No one explicitly is calling the Cons an ethical choice. I put it in quotes because Scheer and co. are so far removed from ethics that I couldn't say it straight. But my point is that if people are turning away from the Liberals and towards the Cons, it's because they see the Liberals as too corrupt and thus the Cons as less corrupt. And that's because the MSM are hammeing on the SNC Lavalin story while giving Kenney a pass on electoral fraud and Ford on North-Korean-style propaganda tactics.

    It's basically the same reason Harper got in - the MSM got everyone worked up into a frenzy over the sponsorhip scandal. Harper even used it as a theme in his (admittedly very effective) 2005 ads. Then as soon as Harper won, there was an effective ban on news stories about government corruption, even though he did shit weekly that put the sponsorship scandal to shame.

    sig.gif
    mrondeaushrykeCaulk Bite 6CanadianWolverineGnome-InterruptusAridholShadowenTubularLuggageEl Mucho
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Don't worry, I'm sure the news orgs will thoroughly cover how Scheer and Bernier have been openly courting neo-nazis.
    tumblr_n2n4j13Jjf1ts0osto4_500.png

    CanadianWolverineCaulk Bite 6RichyApogee
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
    KetBraCanadianWolverine
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
    CaedwyrApogeeCanadianWolverine
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    ApogeeCanadianWolverineDisco11
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    Eh. I think the pressure was overblown and these people's willingness to burn it all down over this bullshit suggests to me there was no way to contain them once they'd let them in.

  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    The conservatives are abhorrent but the Liberals handled this badly so I'll vote NDP which will contribute to a Conservative government.
    Winning!

    shrykeRichyApogeeEtiowsaEl MuchoBouwsT
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    Eh. I think the pressure was overblown and these people's willingness to burn it all down over this bullshit suggests to me there was no way to contain them once they'd let them in.

    It definitely was, but Trudeau mishandled this from the beginning. The whole party mishandled this from the beginning. Now the problem is that conservatives (Small c is intentional in this case) are omitting things to make it sound like Trudeau was trying to help the company escape consequences when that isn't true, but that's the narrative that the general public has accepted.

    If Trudeau has just come out and said, "Our concern was the loss of a major employer, and we wanted to make sure that the executives responsible were punished without employees being caught in the crossfire." it would have been a lot better.

    But that was never the message. It was always, "Nothing bad happened." Which was technically true, but it allowed the CPC to establish it's narrative of choice.

    Gnome-InterruptusshrykeCaedwyrTubularLuggageCaulk Bite 6Disco11
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    don't worry guys, I've got a fix for our PM's media problem...!



    but wait, what about -



    sigh

    Gnome-InterruptusApogee
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    The conservatives are abhorrent but the Liberals handled this badly so I'll vote NDP which will contribute to a Conservative government.
    Winning!
    This extends from discussions on the previous page, but telling people they're participating in democracy wrong because of their personal beliefs and moral standards is a fantastic way to encourage voter apathy. You've got to work on framing your argument better than "those people are being idiots because they don't see logic I believe is critically flawed."

    CanadianWolverine
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    The conservatives are abhorrent but the Liberals handled this badly so I'll vote NDP which will contribute to a Conservative government.
    Winning!
    This extends from discussions on the previous page, but telling people they're participating in democracy wrong because of their personal beliefs and moral standards is a fantastic way to encourage voter apathy. You've got to work on framing your argument better than "those people are being idiots because they don't see logic I believe is critically flawed."


    I care about electing a government that isn't shit to women, minorities and the planet.

    They aren't participating in democracy wrong, they are voting for the wrong party due to ignorance. Pointing out the consequences of their actions is wrong now?

    Their personal beliefs and moral standards may end up fucking up a lot of people's lives and I don't give two shits if people get offended when I point that out.

    People are absolutely free to vote for whoever they want to.
    People are NOT free from being blamed for the consequences of that and they are also not free from being called out for being ignorant of the world in which they live.


    mrondeauGnome-InterruptusNova_CshrykeEtiowsaEl MuchoAegisRichyCaulk Bite 6
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    The conservatives are abhorrent but the Liberals handled this badly so I'll vote NDP which will contribute to a Conservative government.
    Winning!
    This extends from discussions on the previous page, but telling people they're participating in democracy wrong because of their personal beliefs and moral standards is a fantastic way to encourage voter apathy. You've got to work on framing your argument better than "those people are being idiots because they don't see logic I believe is critically flawed."


    I care about electing a government that isn't shit to women, minorities and the planet.

    They aren't participating in democracy wrong, they are voting for the wrong party due to ignorance. Pointing out the consequences of their actions is wrong now?

    Their personal beliefs and moral standards may end up fucking up a lot of people's lives and I don't give two shits if people get offended when I point that out.

    People are absolutely free to vote for whoever they want to.
    People are NOT free from being blamed for the consequences of that and they are also not free from being called out for being ignorant of the world in which they live.
    Factually not what I said, and I agree with your post otherwise. "Winning" is a really belittling attitude to present in response to people who are - in any reasonable definition - on your side. I'm merely suggesting altering the approach approach in talking with - and about - those people. Why alienate or condemn people who are far less at fault than the actual political right?

    CaedwyrCanadianWolverine
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    don't worry guys, I've got a fix for our PM's media problem...!

    It's The Simpsons, so it's not like anybody's going to see it.

    InvectivusArcticLancerEl MuchoRichyCaulk Bite 6
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    The conservatives are abhorrent but the Liberals handled this badly so I'll vote NDP which will contribute to a Conservative government.
    Winning!

    To be clear, the people are saying vote ABC (Anyone But Conservative) in ridings where the votes go 45% Liberal, 45% NDP, 5% Green, 2% Conservative, 3% Rhino Party. I also figure it is important to listen to people like this rather than deluding ourselves into thinking that all voters are going to vote strategically every single time and in an effective way. This is also early in the whole election cycle and these are the types of voters that would likely lead to late swings from the NDP to Liberals or vice versa as has happened in the past.

    ArcticLancerCanadianWolverine
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    This is why first past the post winner take all systems need to be held with single transferable/ instant runoff voting.

    Gnome-InterruptusCaedwyrTubularLuggageCanadianWolverineRear Admiral ChocoAridholEvil Multifarious
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    don't worry guys, I've got a fix for our PM's media problem...!



    but wait, what about -



    sigh
    I'm sure it will treat the matter with the nuance and subtlety we've come to expect from late era Simpsons.

    RichyCaulk Bite 6Rear Admiral ChocomonikerShadowenSealApogeeEl Mucho
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Like how they reacted to the, iirc extremely mild critique of “it would have been nice if Apu wasn’t voiced by a white dude”?

    Yeah, it’ll be “fine”.

    jnij103vqi2i.png
    TubularLuggage
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I mean, an American show wading into Canadian politics with likely a surface level five degrees removed understanding, likely used as an aside to make a point about American politics, a few months out from Canada's election.
    What could possibly go wrong?

  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's going to matter. The Simpsons is not going to sway the election anywhere.

    TubularLuggageCaulk Bite 6
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Does anyone even watch it anymore?

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    CanadianWolverineTubularLuggageCaulk Bite 6El Mucho
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it'll be fine because no one cares about The Simpsons anymore.

    TubularLuggageEl Mucho
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    Also, in the interest of fairness, I watched the video of the guy who will be playing Trudeau that apparently inspired the Simpsons people to cast him.
    The guy basically takes his normal voice, adds a stereotypical 'effeminate' tone, says, "Uh" a bunch, and that's it. If I hadn't known what it was supposed to be, it wouldn't have been in my first 20 guesses. So there's that.

    Edit: Agreed that the saving grace here is that it's the Simpsons a couple decades past its prime, so about seven people will actually watch it.

    TubularLuggage on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    News is run by clicks and views.....

    And Trudeau is a pretty polarizing PM in certain parts of the country. That combined with the totally inept way they handled everything made it so drawn out and confusing that most Canadians think he's guilty of something and most of us here probably read what? A dozen stories or articles on this at a minimum? For news organizations that's gold.

    If he would have just been honest from the start none of this would be anything but a memory to most people by now.

    What makes you say that? I'm not sure what there is to be honest about here.

    That he did not pressure JWR and all those interactions. His explanations especially at the beginning were about as cagey as possible.

    His story changed several times about what happened. What seems to stick in a lot of people's mind that have talked to me about this issue without prompting is the role that gender played in how things were handled, especially the whisper campaign. Most people have said that the conservatives are abhorrent, but if their local race is between NDP and Liberals they would be much more likely to vote NDP rather than Liberals, based on how the entire thing has gone down.

    The conservatives are abhorrent but the Liberals handled this badly so I'll vote NDP which will contribute to a Conservative government.
    Winning!
    This extends from discussions on the previous page, but telling people they're participating in democracy wrong because of their personal beliefs and moral standards is a fantastic way to encourage voter apathy. You've got to work on framing your argument better than "those people are being idiots because they don't see logic I believe is critically flawed."


    I care about electing a government that isn't shit to women, minorities and the planet.

    They aren't participating in democracy wrong, they are voting for the wrong party due to ignorance. Pointing out the consequences of their actions is wrong now?

    Their personal beliefs and moral standards may end up fucking up a lot of people's lives and I don't give two shits if people get offended when I point that out.

    People are absolutely free to vote for whoever they want to.
    People are NOT free from being blamed for the consequences of that and they are also not free from being called out for being ignorant of the world in which they live.
    Factually not what I said, and I agree with your post otherwise. "Winning" is a really belittling attitude to present in response to people who are - in any reasonable definition - on your side. I'm merely suggesting altering the approach approach in talking with - and about - those people. Why alienate or condemn people who are far less at fault than the actual political right?

    I don't agree that people seriously considering voting NDP in this climate are on my side for a start.
    Nor do I buy into the framing that "belittling" them will alienate them any further than where they are today. This is the same logic used to excuse being "pushed" into the alt-right and it's largely bullshit.

    I will continue to condemn the choice, and the decision making going into it, to vote in such a way that increases the chances of a Conservative government.

    If someone reads what I wrote or listens to a comment I have made and then decides to NOT VOTE or to vote to "spite" me that person deserves derision and ridicule for those choices.
    I'm not on this earth to tell people everything they do is ok because they might feel bad or angry if I don't.



    shrykeEl Mucho
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    About ~3.5million people watch The Simpsons for a typical Sunday, ~1.5million in the 18-45 demographic. Which is decent anymore, but hardly huge numbers, considering.

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So there was an article about this in La Presse. The final quote from the producer, in reference to them referencing the SNC Lavalin affair in the episode: "It's funny because the USA think Trudeau is great, liberal Americans adore him, so I think they'll be shocked to know he's in trouble right now."

    Yeah, so it's a smear job.

    sig.gif
    Gnome-Interruptusmoniker
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    This is why first past the post winner take all systems need to be held with single transferable/ instant runoff voting.

    If only we had a party that would run on abolishing FPTP.

    Oh wait.....

    PSN: Canadian_llama
    ApogeeCaedwyrBroloRichyCanadianWolverineHandkorCaulk Bite 6Etiowsa
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So I'm seeing a lot of MSM articles on my newsfeed these past few days about climate change. There was the report two weeks ago about how Canada is warming at twice the global average, a few about the days of protest in Canada and worldwide related to climate change, one on the increasing cost of inaction about climate change, and now one about how we've been greatly underestimating the amount of CO2 pushed into the atmosphere by the Alberta oil sand industry.

    Oddly, all of them are very careful not to talk about politics, and to especially not make a link to the forecasted benefit effects of Trudeau's carbon tax, nor the fact Scheer and Conservative parties nationwide are campaigning to cancel it and to push policies that will allow the worst offenders to benefit from harming us with impunity. It's the strangest of accidental oversights in their reporting.

    sig.gif
    mrondeauCanadianWolverineGnome-Interruptus
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The time has come. It's the most anticipated election of 2019! Obviously I'm talking about the Prince Edward Island provincial election!

    1ze9mqs.jpg

    Now, we're of course all well versed in the politics of the island, but just in case there are any stragglers, let's get up to speed on some of the basics. Polls close at 7PM Atlantic. This time, it may not just be the Gables that are green! Let's meet the parties!

    2lgnm.jpg
    Currently the Liberals are in power, led by Wade MacLauchlan. He and his party won a majority back in 2015 with about 41% of the vote. For some fun trivia, Wade is the first openly gay male premier in Canada. Islanders still generally view him favorably, but the Liberals have been in for a while, and despite a decent economy, some seem to feel that it's time for a change. Or not. We'll just have to wait and see.

    2ex8yhg.jpg
    The PEI Progressive Conservatives have a shiny new leader in Dennis King, who came into the position all the way back on February 9th of this year. The PEI PCs are increasingly a rarity, in that they're still actually a moderate center-right conservative party. The most notable thing about them in this day and age is that their election wouldn't be a waking nightmare, so, good on ya PEI PCs for meeting the bare minimum of basic human decency! That's unfortunately not a given anymore.

    27xkqow.jpg
    The PEI NDP exist. I'm generally an NDP supporter, and even so, that's about all I've got for this section. Decent logo at least. Also, the province and the party have the same length acronyms, so ... that's something.

    11gok5c.jpg
    The thing people will really be keeping an eye on tonight is the PEI Green party, led by Peter Bevan-Baker. He surprised many by winning his seat back in 2015. Since then, the PEI Greens have doubled their seat count in a by-election, and their poll numbers have skyrocketed. They've occasionally polled in first, though it will of course matter how their vote is distributed. They seem to have found a message that resonates with Islanders. We'll see how this pans out, and if history will be made tonight.

    It's also worth noting that with more than two parties in contention, it's not impossible that PEI could see its first minority government since 1893. The province currently has 27 provincial ridings, so 14 is the number everyone will have their eye on.

    There is also an electoral reform referendum concurrent to the provincial election. Based on a similar past vote, it offers a choice between maintaining the current system, or switching to Mixed Member Proportional. The PEI Greens have promised that if elected, they will honor the results. A previous referendum seemed to suggest an appetite for something new. We'll see how this goes. It should certainly be interesting.

    If anything, it's nice to have an election where whatever the result, it's just interesting, and not existentially terrifying! Thanks, PEI, and good luck!

    shrykeShadowenArcticLancerRichyCanadianWolverineGnome-InterruptusCaulk Bite 6BouwsTForar
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That is a really good logo. Well done PEI NDP.

    AridholTubularLuggageRichyGnome-InterruptusHandkorCaulk Bite 6
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    As the first place in Canada that will sink below sea level as the ocean rises, it's certainly understandable for PEI to have some draws with the Greens. :P

    TubularLuggageShadowenDisco11Caulk Bite 6
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    As the first place in Canada that will sink below sea level as the ocean rises, it's certainly understandable for PEI to have some draws with the Greens. :P

    Alberta is pretty high above sea level.

    Just saying..

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    CBC is projecting a minority government. At the moment, the leading/elected seat count is PC 11, Green 9, Liberal 6. The last time PEI elected a minority government was 1890.
    One riding isn't electing an MLA tonight, as the Green candidate died in an accident days ago. A by-election will be held in the near future, while voters in the riding will still be voting on the electoral reform measure tonight.

    TubularLuggage on
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Islanders still generally view him favorably, but the Liberals have been in for a while, and despite a decent economy, some seem to feel that it's time for a change.

    The good ole, "Things are relatively decent or not terribly problematic, it's time to fuck everything up" mentality.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    shrykeAridholShadowenGnome-InterruptusEtiowsaForarEl Mucho
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    As the first place in Canada that will sink below sea level as the ocean rises, it's certainly understandable for PEI to have some draws with the Greens. :P

    Alberta is pretty high above sea level.

    Just saying..

    Alberta isn't getting out of this unscathed, none of us are. Prepare for a higher occurrence of flooding, heatwaves, tornadoes, etc. Landlocked doesn't mean that Green's message can't resonate, its Postmedia, Sun Media, Bell, and Newcap Broadcasting that have the most editorial say in what resonates in that province to help them realize that climate change is here and picking up speed.

    steam_sig.png
    Caulk Bite 6
Sign In or Register to comment.