As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Captain Marvel] Mohawks In Space! Open Spoilers!

1161718192022»

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They let Mark Mothersbaugh actually Mark Mothersbaugh out for once.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A good part I didn't see mentioned in the thread is the big final ruckus
    where Cap is fighting the Star Force team. They're no challenge to her, the only thing holding her back at that point is that she's so much stronger than she knew. She seems to get knocked around a lot in that scene from the recoil of her own attacks, and it's p.cool.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Bogart wrote: »

A good thread about Marvel's personal arc.

This goes back to what I was saying about this subject earlier, whenever the whole "You're not allowed to say it's bad because it's progressive" thing comes up about Marvel or BP, or the idea that people are faking their adoration for the movies because it's representation or some other gobbledegook.

These are life experiences and points of view that don't get explored often/at all in major tentpole releases. It's not like I'm saying these movies are not for white/cishet dudes, because movies are for everyone... but it's extremely likely you won't take as much from these films as someone who's lived that life that's being shown on-screen. They were written/performed/designed around an experience we don't often see represented.

Captain Marvel to me was fine. To others, it showed what they have to deal with and was their own power fantasy. It's a tool we can use, among many other things, to form some empathy for those who aren't us, or specifically me, in this case.

The idea that it's not as good as those people represented by the film make it out to be just grinds my fucking gears.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    where Cap is fighting the Star Force team. They're no challenge to her, the only thing holding her back at that point is that she's so much stronger than she knew. She seems to get knocked around a lot in that scene from the recoil of her own attacks, and it's p.cool.

That scene has also one of my favourite battle-quip sequences in the MCU. Apologies if I get the quote wrong:

“Don’t make me do this!”
    “OK.”

On the surface, for him, it’s an agonizing moment where he’s fighting a former ally. For her, it’s swiping away an annoying gnat. But then you get into how their physical positions and how his language is coded. It’s an abuser trying to put the culpability for his actions on the abused, and the abused being strong enough to not just WTFPWN him, but to do so casually. She’s nonchalant about it in both a physical and emotional sense. She really doesn’t care about him, and he’s barely a nuisance.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

That scene has also one of my favourite battle-quip sequences in the MCU. Apologies if I get the quote wrong:

“Don’t make me do this!”
    “OK.”

On the surface, for him, it’s an agonizing moment where he’s fighting a former ally. For her, it’s swiping away an annoying gnat. But then you get into how their physical positions and how his language is coded. It’s an abuser trying to put the culpability for his actions on the abused, and the abused being strong enough to not just WTFPWN him, but to do so casually. She’s nonchalant about it in both a physical and emotional sense. She really doesn’t care about him, and he’s barely a nuisance.

Is that actually how the line is read? I'll have to pay more close attention on a rewatch but it felt more like that old cop "Alright surrender and don't make this more difficult for me" instead of a "no I don't want to do this to my former friend." Neither of them actually cares about each other anymore. The moment she stopped buying in and being useful she either needed to fall back in line or get taken out.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I think he was trying to sell it that way to Carol, even if it was a lie.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

I think it can be read either way, and I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on how he perceives the situation. They were after all teammates for five years.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

I think it can be read either way, and I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on how he perceives the situation. They were after all teammates for five years.

Based entirely on the lies he told her every day, yes. In his mind she was a weapon in the Kree arsenal and everything he did was designed to keep her under Kree control.

• Options

Based entirely on the lies he told her every day, yes. In his mind she was a weapon in the Kree arsenal and everything he did was designed to keep her under Kree control.

That wasn't Yon-Rogg, it was Att-Lass. So far as we can say for sure, only Yon-Rogg and Minerva even knew Carol was from earth. But even if Att-Lass knew the whole truth, he could very well mean exactly what he said in the tone he said it in - similar to an abuser's "I love you, why are you making me hurt you" line.

• Options
    oh I was thinking of the wrong interaction. Derp. Thanks.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

A good thread about Marvel's personal arc.

Friggin' thank you. This is so obvious and the amount of twitter dudes yelling about how CM doesn't have a personal arc drove me crazy. Its almost as annoying as the dudes trying to say that CM is awesome by denigrating Wonder Woman and saying SHE didn't have an arc.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Friggin' thank you. This is so obvious and the amount of twitter dudes yelling about how CM doesn't have a personal arc drove me crazy. Its almost as annoying as the dudes trying to say that CM is awesome by denigrating Wonder Woman and saying SHE didn't have an arc.

wat

Orca on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Orca wrote: »

wat

I don't know man apparently some people have trouble parsing emotional journeys.

And also I guess if we have two women super heroes we need to pit them against each other.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The people who didn't think Captain Marvel had an arc are people who've never considered female perspectives or experiences.

I'm a male nurse and all through training, practice, and graduate school training I was and am the minority sex. The shit I see my female colleagues put up with a predominantly male physician culture is grotesque.

I'm "passionate" or "assertive" or "confident" while my female colleagues are "emotional" or "bitchy" or "arrogant". It's disgusting.

I was staggered explaining to my male friends what her arc was and how it was Danvers confronting a system engineered to profit from her while restraining her.

I think it's a valid critique of the movies pacing or plot or CGI or what have you. But claiming that Danvers didn't have an arc or Larson's acting was "wooden" or whatever then you've missed the whole goddamn point.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    My friends and I have all agreed that our biggest complaint about the Captain Marvel movie was that the name of the McGuffin sucks.

Like, there's little stuff, like how the CGI looks, but again, I don't know how you'd do it better, and it entertained me, so what the fuck who cares? Sooner or later we have to have superheroes in space flying around blowing up spaceships with pew-pews coming out of their hands, this is not something you can make look realistic.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That's so odd. I didn't think CM was great, but that she never had an arc never entered my mind. She very clearly had an arc.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The people who didn't think Captain Marvel had an arc are people who've never considered female perspectives or experiences.

I'm a male nurse and all through training, practice, and graduate school training I was and am the minority sex. The shit I see my female colleagues put up with a predominantly male physician culture is grotesque.

I'm "passionate" or "assertive" or "confident" while my female colleagues are "emotional" or "bitchy" or "arrogant". It's disgusting.

I was staggered explaining to my male friends what her arc was and how it was Danvers confronting a system engineered to profit from her while restraining her.

I think it's a valid critique of the movies pacing or plot or CGI or what have you. But claiming that Danvers didn't have an arc or Larson's acting was "wooden" or whatever then you've missed the whole goddamn point.

People are inherently selfish and narcissistic. It takes work to appreciate other perspectives and experiences that are not your own, especially if you want to move beyond shallow empathy. "What if I were in their shoes?" generally implies that you are still you, so while it works in some cases it can break down in many others.

Very rarely is this fueled by an active, abiding hatred or bias by someone. In most cases it's driven by a combination of laziness, ignorance, and lack of consequence (i.e., I don't know this exists because I've literally never had to deal with it myself). Which isn't to say they are bad people so much as they are people.

Frankly, I think the vast majority of us, if put in similar positions, would have very similar views.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It's me, the guy who likes most origin stories.

I never read comics as a kid (other than a few Superman ones) so if it wasn't on a Saturday morning cartoon (Spiderman, X-Men, TMNT) or movies/TV show (Superman/Batman) I didn't know a thing about it.
    I'm sorry you all have to sit through them, but I really appreciate it.

same, no fkin clue who captain marvel was. I needed every single reference / callback to other MCU, needed all the origin stuff, also love origin stories!

Good grief this was a fun movie. :):)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

Side note, but seeing who that twitter user was, and not instantly recognizing the name...

I should change that. He does mecha in lego! He builds gundam! All the other stuff he does! OMG... *swoon*

(Edit: Fixed gender mislabel.)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jamie is a guy.

My swoon stands. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also, someone mentioned earlier that lightspeed flying type stuff was something 'comic level'...

Marvel gets her powers from the Space stone, it didn't surprise me at all that she'd be able to travel space at basically whatever speed she likes. She's a only step down from Thanos just being able to pop in wherever because he has the actual stone.

• Options
    ArcsurvivorArcsurvivor CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I wish they gave more backstory on the war between the Kree and Skrull. Seeing Fury again was nice though.

Hearthstone: (Wild and Arena)
    Currently Playing on Steam - Journey down Ch 3/ Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Options
    I wish they gave more backstory on the war between the Kree and Skrull. Seeing Fury again was nice though.

This kind of thing seems ripe for a Disney+ show, just something to flesh out more of the Cosmic stuff. Like a Nova show maybe?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So part of me wants them to push foward with this character. The other part of me wants a movie where she takes on the Kree empire and destroys the Supreme Intelligence (who we'd get to see in its full, ugly glory) pre-GotG. (The Kree have an emperor at that point, rather than the Supreme Intelligence)

• Options
    So part of me wants them to push foward with this character. The other part of me wants a movie where she takes on the Kree empire and destroys the Supreme Intelligence (who we'd get to see in its full, ugly glory) pre-GotG. (The Kree have an emperor at that point, rather than the Supreme Intelligence)

100% if the next movie doesn't take place in the present I will be pissed.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The Kree and Skrulls might be in Endgame. That would be a twist.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The Kree might be in Endgame. That would be a twist.

Well i mean

Half of them

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Saw this for the 3rd time (my wifes 2nd time) over the weekend.and I have to say my 'bawl level' keeps climbing higher with each viewing.
    There are SOO many bits that, when I'm not wearing my man-lens, makes me fucking cry.
    The latest one is when Cap is dragging Yon Rogg across the desert. Switch the genders and you have an average night in any physically abusive household (desert = living room) across the planet. I'm crying right fucking now!
    Him warning her to keep her emotions in check when she starts powering up after he lays her out? Same.
    That one dude saying "don't make me do this"? The fuckin same.

This movie is fucking genius. It's more than a movie to be quite effing honest, it's thought-provoking and therapeutic and I keep learning from it every time I watch it.

My wife and I, and my clued in friend (it was his first time) were discussing it afterwards in the parking lot and I'm telling him about the scenes I mentioned above and my wife has to put an arm around me to console me cause I'm tearing up. She is consoling me! This woman is consoling me because I'm being enlightened by a superhero movie about the shitty shit she's been witnessing/experiencing her whole life. She says she's proud of my awakening and I just feel ashamed of my apathy.

Anyway, can't wait for it to hit Amazon...day 1 purchase.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Captain marvel went into a bar I've been into! It's a real creepy bikini bar place . Been in there once or twice to grab a cheep beer while watching basketball after work. Used to work in the hanger that was showcased in the movie as well.

Kind of cool

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Captain marvel went into a bar I've been into! It's a real creepy bikini bar place . Been in there once or twice to grab a cheep beer while watching basketball after work. Used to work in the hanger that was showcased in the movie as well.

Kind of cool

It's always fun when you recognize locations from movies. I thought I recognized a particular stretch of highway she and Fury drove on on the way to that hangar, although it's very possible it was somewhere else. It was a stretch of the highway my wife and I took twice on the way to places like Joshua Tree from Los Angeles.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I thought they saw Brie Larson at the bar...

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Got to see this again at the cheapo theatre with my wife. We still loved it. I still wasn't fucking crying, it's just really hot and my face sweats right where my eyes are!

The scene right after she remembers the plane crash, where her friend is talking to her, still makes me bawl.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

Kind of cool

It's always fun when you recognize locations from movies. I thought I recognized a particular stretch of highway she and Fury drove on on the way to that hangar, although it's very possible it was somewhere else. It was a stretch of the highway my wife and I took twice on the way to places like Joshua Tree from Los Angeles.

I once saw a movie that had a scene filmed at the theater I was seeing it in.

That got unexpectedly meta for a moment, the whole audience laughed a bit extra for that moment. We shared something that of the millions of people who would eventually see the film, only a few would ever truly appreciate that particular scene as we did.

(For those that care, that movie was Kick Ass.)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Got to see my family's go-to beach in Karate Kid 2 when they go to "Okinawa." Which was Oahu.

jungleroomx on