As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I may or may not have stayed up till 5 am playing...

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I was up til 1 which is about as late as I can handle, being an old ass man

Oog

But now I am awake and after I drop my son off at daycare I am all in all day woooo

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Glad everyone is enjoying the game. I’m honestly not sure when I’m going to be able to play it. Life stuff is making my downtime unpredictable, but, best wishes everyone.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Only got to play for a little bit last night because I got sidetracked with stupid adulting. I dinked around in training with a couple characters and

OH MY KHAN THIS GAME IS SO GORGEOUS

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I decided at 11pm last night to go all in and preordered the premium order on the store. I was going to wait and play days gone instead but want to wait for the reviews of that first...and it comes out friday anyway. Will play with it when i get home from work.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I was trying not to look at too much of the game before it came out - I'll get to fire it up tonight after work - but man, the 3 new fighters I've seen look freakin' awesome.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just got to hop in, and I'm so glad Noob is back

• Options
    I might main Noob for a bit while I'm getting a feel for the flow of the game. He has, like, 2.5 special moves.

Does anyone know how online is gonna work? I'm one of those folks who would prefer standard variations so I don't have to guess what random variation someone is bringing. I mean, if I seriously have to guess what moves someone is using every time I'm playing that is going to frustrate me.

But is it just the two default variations that are available from the jump in training mode?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    It doesn't matter to me. Default Kano has everything I could want.

Kommand throw, kounter, knife-boots.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I might main Noob for a bit while I'm getting a feel for the flow of the game. He has, like, 2.5 special moves.

Does anyone know how online is gonna work? I'm one of those folks who would prefer standard variations so I don't have to guess what random variation someone is bringing. I mean, if I seriously have to guess what moves someone is using every time I'm playing that is going to frustrate me.

But is it just the two default variations that are available from the jump in training mode?

In ranked, it's just the two official ones. Don't know about other modes.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    It doesn't matter to me. Default Kano has everything I could want.

Kommand throw, kounter, knife-boots.

See, I've watched streams where it says the loadout they are running is Default, but what is that? The two variations available in training mode are named.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    I'm assuming 1 is default and the secondary one is... Not. I've been playing as Noob 1 since it looks like Noob 2 gives him a fireball (shadowball?) Like Subbie

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Have to say I'm really enjoying 11's story mode it is pretty good.
    That said damn the story just kind of skips over Takeda and Kung Jin not being present altogether.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That said damn the story just kind of skips over Takeda and Kung Jin not being present altogether.
    Turns out they were actually Raiden's kids, and once he got removed from the time line...

• Options
    edited April 2019
    This is good stuff

u3vc13ca9022.png

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    RageQuitAlity should also be a thing.

Characters throw controllers across the room at the TV, causing various decapitations.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Those of you who have the game... How is the "loot box" situation? Are they really selling "koins" or whatever to spend on randomized content?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

To be fair...
    There's no mention of Kenshi at all, either, who is his father. Kung Jin's harder to find an excuse for. Other than being the brash one who didn't like Jacqui or Cassie very much, maybe he just didn't take to being in the Outworld Special Forces and left.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

To be fair...
    There's no mention of Kenshi at all, either, who is his father. Kung Jin's harder to find an excuse for. Other than being the brash one who didn't like Jacqui or Cassie very much, maybe he just didn't take to being in the Outworld Special Forces and left.

Well I stumbled upon what happened to Kenshi. :(
    He's dead. In the Krypt you can find his corpse with his sword impaled through his chest by a demon and he's surrounded by a pile of demon corpses. When your character comes across him, Shang Tsung gloats how righteous Kenshi's soul was and how delicious it was to devour. Your character ends up ripping off Kenshi's blindfold and using it as an X-Ray vision buff to open walls. :-/

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's lots of stuff in the Krypt....

Speaking of, I need a detailed breakdown of it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Those of you who have the game... How is the "loot box" situation? Are they really selling "koins" or whatever to spend on randomized content?

It's...not great. It's basically a three-tier currency system that can be spent in the Krypt in which the contents of every single chest is apparently completely random. On top of that, all of the customization options in the game are locked either there or in the Towers of Time (mostly the Krypt). This includes, bafflingly, fatalities and brutalities, arguably the game's defining feature among its peers.

I'm a big fan of the series but I think this time they've made some severe missteps with regard to the game's design. The story and gameplay is otherwise pretty solid, so if you don't care about skins or accessing your fighter's fatalities apart from the one default that each character has, you'll be fine.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    To be fair you don't need to unlock fatalities to use them. All the unlock does is put the button input for them on the menu. If you know what buttons to press you can still do them.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Halfmex wrote: »

It's...not great. It's basically a three-tier currency system that can be spent in the Krypt in which the contents of every single chest is apparently completely random. On top of that, all of the customization options in the game are locked either there or in the Towers of Time (mostly the Krypt). This includes, bafflingly, fatalities and brutalities, arguably the game's defining feature among its peers.

I'm a big fan of the series but I think this time they've made some severe missteps with regard to the game's design. The story and gameplay is otherwise pretty solid, so if you don't care about skins or accessing your fighter's fatalities apart from the one default that each character has, you'll be fine.

WB just got over that big ol' scandal with Shadow of War's loot box fiasco to only come back and double down on an arguably much bigger franchise?

Hot damn. I mean, they might not be "loot boxes" per se, but the random grindy nature and the need for "konsumables" is still equally scummy.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    To be fair you don't need to unlock fatalities to use them. All the unlock does is put the button input for them on the menu. If you know what buttons to press you can still do them.

Huh, that makes it even stranger, because then you're wasting the currency when you unlock those fatalities in the Krypt that could be spent on other chests. Better than not accessing them at all I guess but still, that's a bizarre choice.

Also with regards to costumes, I'm not a huge fan of the fact that out of 60 different skins, there are basically three genuinely distinct outfits with a bunch of color tints between them, each counting as a separate skin. I get that it pads out the grind but still, a large number of these costumes (that I've seen thus far at least) are very similar to one another for each character.

• Options
    I don't think the monetization is that bad. I've barely played at all and had around 100k koins to use. Just playing around in the Krypt you can get more koins. Some of the other resources, like Hearts, seem a bit tougher to come by, but I've played a total of 2 hours. I don't think it's as bad as people are making it seem. I've already unlocked Scorpion Fatality and a Jade Brutality. I dislike the random angle but aside from that, the Krypt is pretty cool.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Got this last night. Played the tutorial because I'm OCD. Only played story mode, maybe only reached the second chapter. Fell asleep early. Looking to play more tonight.

Graphics are awesome. I'm a little scared of all these currencies.

Looking forward to trying out Noob, Frost, individual character training .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think we have to admit there was almost no way there wouldn’t be some kind of semi-invasive system of purchase-ables running through the game’s chest of toys. It doesn’t sound like it will actively interfere in one’s ability to enjoy the game (speaking as someone who is has not yet had a chance to rip into their copy) and I think that is an important distinction to confirm.

I’m...hazy on what other fighters have chosen to do with their in-game purchase systems, and what comparisons can be made to MK11. I don’t know if there’s another fighting game that has anything like a Krypt. I don’t know if simply playing MK11 and earning koins or whatever will prove to be too inefficient compared to buying the stuff you want, but I would have preferred a direct route you can work towards.

Buying stuff is always going to be easier than earning it, so it’s hard for in-game purchases to have a good look to them. I don’t know. I think high-profile third-party games are just going to always have this stuff in abundance now, so it’s best to establish a standard of decor about these things.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    There is a living person in the Krypt as well, the Kollector. He'll trade you stuff for stuff....but it seems mega limited. I dunno. I don't feel that's spoiler worthy.

I had over 240k koins, down to 103k now. Found (following is not loot, just lore stuff)...
    the bodies of Kenshi, as mentioned above, and Ermac. Bummed about Ermac.

One thing I do feel bad about is feeling the need to use fatalities in online matches to get hearts.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just thought of an awesome name for a Frost variation. "HAL Snow." It works on so many levels.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I’d say the loot stuff is low to medium bad. There’s a lot of nonsense stuff like consumables that you get lots of, but since nothing has stats if you get a piece of gear, concept art, costume, etc, you never have to worry about getting it again, or doubling up. So it’s not going to be a n injustice situation where it’s possible to play every day for two years and never get the piece of gear you want, since eventually theoretically you can get everything

Ultimately it depends how stingy and grindy it is long term, and hopefully they tweak it if it’s particularly bad. It does suck if you want something for a specific character, but they also tell you where you’re likely to get an item on the item itself, ie the krypt or as a tower reward, which is a start I suppose

I’d say it’s a 4/10 on the loot box bullshit scale, with 10 being the worst

And it’s nice that they let you hit things with a hammer in the krypt for when you keep getting useless bullshit and need to let out your frustration. That just may be a me thing tho

I do wish they’d given you random goobers to fight in the krypt, like the NetherRealm demons from the campaign, that would spice things up

Prohass on
  • Options
    I was hoping for something like playing Test Your Might to earn new fatalities.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    If you are on PC good god turn off TAA

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    My missus is playing through at the moment, I'm unsure how much she's enjoying the game, but she was up until 2am last night playing.

I know she wasn't exactly happy with some of the character models, who in her eyes look like a downgrade from MKX, but we'll see. She's a big fan of Quan chi and the fact that there's
    time related shenangigans
    and Quan has been left out of it just gave me things I can bait her about haha.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Anyone else have an issue with the voices not syncing up with lip movement on PC? There's an insane 3 second delay in my sound.

EDIT - NM, apparently a common issue. Going to try some fixes I found.

vamen on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    My missus is playing through at the moment, I'm unsure how much she's enjoying the game, but she was up until 2am last night playing.

I know she wasn't exactly happy with some of the character models, who in her eyes look like a downgrade from MKX, but we'll see. She's a big fan of Quan chi and the fact that there's
    time related shenangigans
    and Quan has been left out of it just gave me things I can bait her about haha.

Just tell her Quan Chi's balls are still trying to recover from Sonja kicking them into his abdomen 25 years ago.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Man this is getting massively review bombed on Steam over the Krypt.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Can't really call it being "review bombed" when people are objecting to a really shitty sales scam that should've been outlawed years ago.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Can't really call it being "review bombed" when people are objecting to a really shitty sales scam that should've been outlawed years ago.

That’s exactly what review bombing is. Large scale negative reviews to call attention to something and/or harm sales.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

That’s exactly what review bombing is. Large scale negative reviews to call attention to something and/or harm sales.

It's... a really fucking awful piece of design? Which impacts the perceived quality of the game?

If the soundtrack was a broken static-filled mess, it wouldn't be "review bombing" to say the game is bad because the soundtrack doesn't work. This isn't people being pissy over the game having female fighters or something, this is a straight legit thing for people to be mad about and review badly.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Yeah...It kind of annoys me how much stuff it locked behind random drops.

Like if I want a specific costume I have to hope I get lucky and there are like a 25 characters all with a ton of unlocks. So if a character has a costume I like who knows when I'll actually get the damn thing.

Like damn I miss the days when you know could just unlock specific shit without having to roll a die.

Dragkonias on