As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Melding wrote: »
    what kind of vampire did the very good dog play?

One of the dog pack is based on him, a messenger dog called Phone.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe they got James McAvoy to DM for them

Mods?!

don't look at me

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    ooh, that's the guy from split, i get it now.

i lied, i don't get it.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    so tube is your lady an NPC now or how are you doing that

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I'm only doing one or maybe two games before Blue Jay takes over, so Dogfood is an NPC for now. In this game I said that her throat was so badly damaged that she couldn't talk, because I didn't want to end up relying on her too much.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Is halfling monk good?

Or should I do warforged monk?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I'm only doing one or maybe two games before Blue Jay takes over, so Dogfood is an NPC for now. In this game I said that her throat was so badly damaged that she couldn't talk, because I didn't want to end up relying on her too much.

That was a clever and cool GM move

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Is halfling monk good?

You should do a halfling sized warforfed monk.

Seriously though, Halflings make good monks with their +2 dex bonus, and their slight deficiency in move speed is made up for by the Monks Unarmored Movement thing.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Is halfling monk good?

You should do a halfling sized warforfed monk.

Seriously though, Halflings make good monks with their +2 dex bonus, and their slight deficiency in move speed is made up for by the Monks Unarmored Movement thing.

I kinda like the idea of doing warforged because I had this idea of my character being left, the lone attandent in a dead monestary, for countless years until a flood finally washes away the remaining structures and they have to strike out into the world to find anyone who can help them translate the sacred text the monks who lived there died protecting? So they can understand why they were created and why the monks all died and that kind of thing

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I would legit go with a halfling race choice, and describe the character as a warforged contortionist. When the halfling move allows you to pass through an occupied square describe it as bending your joints impossibly or having limbs that can reach out and retract in.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Your warforged story idea is amazing, so go with that. The amount of fun you'll have with the concept is worth way more than a +1 here or there.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    And Skirmisher Warforged get 2 DEX, 1 CON which are good monk stats. And they get all of the other neat Warforged stuff like the integrated armor.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I played a Lawful Good Oath of the Crown Paladin in a one-shot today. It was set in the Forgotten Realms, so after about three hours of research I decided that he was a member of the Order of the Silver Chalice, an organization devoted to the lesser goddess Siamorphe that once helped end a civil war in the kingdom of Tethyr.

He got killed by kobolds in the last encounter. Plus two of his three retainers were secretly Lawful Evil Asmodeus worshipers...

I'm also playing a conjurer wizard in another campaign and cannot wait to get Conjure Minor Elementals so I can summon a boatload of mephits.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Possibly running a monster of the week one shot next weekend, trying to decide on the monster. My instincts are telling me to do a fake-out (aristrocratic spooky vampire seeming dude but surprise, it's a dragon) but I wonder if that would be too much to fit into a single session.

• Options
    know what a good monster of the week is?

A manticore.

• Options
    sell me on the manticore

• Options
    so, it's a big fuck off lion, with the face of a man, that can shoot quills out of its tail. they can fly, and they have an int of 7 which means they can probably practice law in most states.

• Options
    so the hook would be that one of the hunters gets taken to court and the prosecutor is a manticore. if the hunters point this out everyone will think they are very rude.

• Options
    I was thinking most a daring hunt of dangerous game, but who is the hunter and who is the hunted

but yeah, a legal procedural where if they lose they get eaten by the prosecution works too.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you wear a disguise to look like human guys,
    but you're not a man, you're a manticore

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    A creature of quills, flight, and more
    A student of court policy and legal lore
    Prepare against the Manticore

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hey, at PAX in the last few years there was a game that, IIRC, was some sort of arena fighter, but the hook was that they had some small statues instead of minis. Anyone know the name of that game?

• Options
    Ok I actually made a half elf warlock with the great old one patron.

• Options
    So I want to give my warlock some personality

I kinda want him to be like the spirit from that one clip of justice league. Kinda a conspiracy guy who is convinced he knows things that threaten the very foundation of the universe and that people are to stubborn or stupid to see it.

Anyone got recommendations?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    needs information before he does anything. insists on strategizing everything, always scout and scope for info before doing something. information is the closest thing they can get to having control over the situation. They need the conspiracies, regardless of their truth, because knowing them gives them a feeling of control.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I want to give my warlock some personality

I kinda want him to be like the spirit from that one clip of justice league. Kinda a conspiracy guy who is convinced he knows things that threaten the very foundation of the universe and that people are to stubborn or stupid to see it.

Anyone got recommendations?

If you want to go asshole then Rorschach from Watchmen could be fun. Works with the group functionally but certainly has his opinions and ways of doing things.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I'm tentatively calling his patron the faceless watcher.

I have this idea what when his patron interacts with the world he does it wordlessly through possessed (think agents from the matrix) people who have their faces deleted (like just skin where the face should be)

I think he sold out for power from the faceless watcher though because he saw that there is something else out there that's worse.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Look up The Question (DC guy), Rorschach was already mentioned. The Pepe Silvia bit from Always Sunny would be over the top, but a similar idea.

Old X Files episodes would be a great source for stuff like that.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    I've never actually seen many X-Files episodes

Any good standalone ones I could check out for inspiration?

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Continuing my psuedo-campaign diary:

Players? Underdark. Boxing gargantuan salamander and giant breaking up a bridge over lava? So last week. This time? Escape from the Underdark!

After raiding the wizard's tower, the rogue made a point of throwing away every single item owned by the snooty elf who snubbed his half elf heritage in town. Gems, jewels, diary? All off the bridge into the chasm.

Players run from some driders, accidentally get a kua-toa villain massacred, are almost out of the Underdark...final encounter is two trolls and a surprise Umber Hulk. The flavor text for Umber Hulk notes that their mere presence corrupts memories. Solely for my own amusement, I narrate:

"You remember waking up in the wizard's tower. you remember putting on your pants...and now you're standing in a cavern, at the bottom of a cliff littered in drow corpses, covered in green blood, with roasted lumps of something at your feet and a dead abomination behind you."

Rogue's player's reaction: "Yeeeeees! Plausible deniability, baby!"

What happened to that elf noble's stuff? Even he doesn't know!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I've never actually seen many X-Files episodes

Any good standalone ones I could check out for inspiration?

- Jose Chung's From Outer Space
    - Grotesque

I can't believe I didn't even need to look that up.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I wish my charisma was higher than 17...

Also I'm super not used to being so squishy. My ac is 14 and my hp is 10!

At least my dm is letting us all have a feat at level 1 so I took spell sniper for eldrich blast

Uh does that stack with eldrich spear btw? A 600ft range spell would be nuts

• Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular

It sure does.

(It's not as awesome in play as on paper most of the time, since most D&D combats take place within under 300 feet anyway. But it is still pretty awesome to have that 600-foot option.)

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

At least my dm is letting us all have a feat at level 1 so I took spell sniper for eldrich blast

Those stats are great for level 1

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

Those stats are great for level 1

I'm spoiled

Last character had bonkers stats, like he's a barbarian level 6 currently with 20str and 20 Dex and 18 con. 78hp and 21 ac...

This is why I think rolling for stats is silly

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    For some reason I have a draft saved where I was trying to meld monsters with days of the week. All I've got so far is Mondicore, Tuesbacabra and Friclops.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »
    For some reason I have a draft saved where I was trying to meld monsters with days of the week. All I've got so far is Mondicore, Tuesbacabra and Friclops.

Wednesdigo

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Gray Thurster?

• Options
    I've settled on the penanggalan for the monster of the week one shot, who's set up shop on a long-distance train (working title, Murder on the Maharajas' Express).

Working on the minions now, but I'm loath to make them regular humans in league with the monster. What sort of minor gribblies would live on a train and work for floating head that drinks blood and bathes in vinegar?