As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

1979899100101103»

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Let's all save ourselves some time and just take the dialect qui. Though I'd be curious where it would place non Americans

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

Not anywhere useful, usually
    I'd love a proper pan regional map but the work involved would be insane

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Thats the ONE thing that spanish has it waaaay easier, we just read what its written, its super simple.

:P

I still can't figure out the phonetic difference between Si and Sí. How do you put an accent on something that has only one syllable?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    I have an acquaintance who pronounces caught as "caw-cht" which drives me crazy.

Watched a planet Earth or blue planet documentary where the narrator kept pronouncing "glacier" as "glassy ear" where I'm used to "glay sure"

Replacing an ss sound with an sh sound is a common British->NA English thing.

Also shows up in issue, which Brits, pronounces it just like it's spelled, rather than ish-you

I've never heard anyone pronounce issue "iss-you".

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Thats the ONE thing that spanish has it waaaay easier, we just read what its written, its super simple.

I still can't figure out the phonetic difference between Si and Sí. How do you put an accent on something that has only one syllable?

I refer you to the earlier posted lion poem.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I have an acquaintance who pronounces caught as "caw-cht" which drives me crazy.

Watched a planet Earth or blue planet documentary where the narrator kept pronouncing "glacier" as "glassy ear" where I'm used to "glay sure"

Also shows up in issue, which Brits, pronounces it just like it's spelled, rather than ish-you

Also, like, passion is "pashun", fissure is "fisher", tissue is "tishoo". So I don't think that's right at all.

Also also I've always pronounced glacier as either "glassy-er" or "glace-yer" depending on my mood

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

You just do, its like a small line instead of a dot.

But seriously, its hard to explain, its like it goes up when accented and goes down when its not, if that makes any sense, or imagine the i in the accented one being in CAPS!, you put some strenght into it.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

Well, except for silent h's as the first letter of a word.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Thro wrote: »

Well, except for silent h's as the first letter of a word.

You mean like herbs?

https://youtu.be/FXBHY7uco0Y

No, I haven't been waiting all this time for the opportunity to post this clip.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Were there any pengwings on this glacier?
    https://youtu.be/-GnLDJAgrws

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

My company’s home office is in London. We have calls about various “iss-yous” all the time.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Oh yeah? And what sound does "H" make in Spanish?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    We had a worker in the office who pronounced peanuts as 'peanits'

We treated that with the respect, dignity, and above all restraint that it deserved.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    We had a worker in the office who pronounced peanuts as 'peanits'

We treated that with the respect, dignity, and above all restraint that it deserved.
    None.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

It's common in a particular posh Australian dialect, I dunno where they got it from though

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

It's common in a particular posh Australian dialect, I dunno where they got it from though
    I've only ever heard it for comedic effect, as a sort of caricature, in popular media. I've never run into someone who said it that way IRL. Huh.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    10 Year Old Girl Born Without Hands Wins Handwriting Contest
    Sara Hinesley is your typical 10-year-old girl, but this resilient girl is overcoming obstacles with a smile.

Sara is a remarkable student who’s proving when it comes to academics, nothing will stop her.

“I like to play, I like to watch TV,” Hinesley said, who recently came to the U.S. from China.

She excels in the classroom at St. John Regional Catholic School in Frederick and she recently won a national handwriting contest that recognized for her excellence in cursive, the Zaner-Bloser National Handwriting Contest.

“I think’s it’s kind of hard — well sometimes easy and sometimes kind of hard — cause you don’t really remember all the letters to write,” Sara said.

All the more remarkable because Sara was born without hands.

“The things I can’t do, I try to figure out the ways I can do it,” she said, ” and try my best to make it work.”

Her sister Veronica wanted to help, so in science class she built an artificial hand for Sara so they could play together.

Sara is an artist too, but nothing stands in her away of her academic goals.

“It’s pretty amazing given the physical disability she has,” said Principal Karen Smith.

The last day of class here is June 13 that’s when Sara will receive her trophy.

“I just try my hardest and put my mind to it and this is what happens,” Sara said.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    And she didn't need to make a glitter cannon to do it. The world needs more positive role models like her.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    And she didn't need to make a glitter cannon to do it. The world needs more positive role models like her.

This is really gross in a lot of ways, man.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

My company’s home office is in London. We have calls about various “iss-yous” all the time.

Retaliate by saying that a clerk will add it to the schedule. If you do it right, you can actually hear their soul die a little.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Also, America pronounces D's with an R after as a J.

Like drought or draft.

I don't know about those two cases, but it just occurred to me that I pronounce "dragon" like @Jragghen

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Like drought or draft.

I don't know about those two cases, but it just occurred to me that I pronounce "dragon" like Jragghen

In my case, that's kinda intentional with the name.
    There's another layer to it, but not gonna post that one openly on the interwebs :)

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Like drought or draft.

I don't know about those two cases, but it just occurred to me that I pronounce "dragon" like Jragghen

There's another layer to it, but not gonna post that one openly on the interwebs :)

its a fetish thing, isnt it? Its probably it.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Like drought or draft.

its a fetish thing, isnt it? Its probably it.

In the absence of additional evidence, we a forced to conclude that it is.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Yeah, Lara Croft does this in Rise of the Tomb Raider and I had to actually think about what she said for a second.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, how embarrassing is it, exactly, to have your ass kicked by the Easter Bunny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAg-MuUILC8

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Im not too concerned with weird prononciation, with the single exception of "nuclear", I dont care if the Queen speaks like that, if you say "nucUlear" you are wrong, and will always be.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, Lara Croft does this in Rise of the Tomb Raider and I had to actually think about what she said for a second.

The Discworld novels have some puns based on geyser/geezer, and it took me years to realize what the joke was supposed to be. Plus, I think a couple of them were using "geyser" to refer to water heaters and not the natural feature.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Also, like, passion is "pashun", fissure is "fisher", tissue is "tishoo". So I don't think that's right at all.

Also also I've always pronounced glacier as either "glassy-er" or "glace-yer" depending on my mood

Fishyer, tishyou.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bad news: this thread is, like, way fuckin' past 100 pages.
    Gone right: New thread!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

The Discworld novels have some puns based on geyser/geezer, and it took me years to realize what the joke was supposed to be. Plus, I think a couple of them were using "geyser" to refer to water heaters and not the natural feature.

Even though there's a new thread, I'm going to slip this in here as it's a direct response.

One of the books in this series uses the line "Out there it's the law, but here we follow the lore," or something similar.

This took me forever to figure out that they're supposed to be homophones, as the character has a thick rural English accent but it's almost never mentioned throughout the series.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png