As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ordinary brane: buy maps
    galaxy brane: dont do maps&reroll

obF2Wuw.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    ordinary brane: buy maps
    galaxy brane: dont do maps&reroll

yes

I get a character to yellow tier maps so I can do dailies and then start leveling alts

Buying maps from Zana fills up my map pool slowly but surely

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Got the wave CoC cycloner into maps and the added clear from the waves is pretty nice. Went staff to make it easier and am reminded why you dont do that. The knockback aspect associated with staves and lions roar is nice but with cyclone it sucks as you lose dps with the mob trying to get out of the center and missing a ton of vaal cyclone hits. But it hits well enough even though its in a 5L, went H.Era, as I had to buy a kaoms chest when I saw how cheap they are for the cool factor.

Jubal77 on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Played this way back in open beta. Haven't touched it until a week ago when I was playing it on my PS4 Pro. I'm enjoying it again and following a guided build for Templar minions. But, I'm a bit frustrated with controller control on console though I love sitting in bed playing on my 65" TV. Anyway, just fired this up again on PC and am starting another Templar. I was only in act 5 and around lvl 42'sh. My main problem I was dealing with was having enough slots of the correct colors and links to fit in my skills properly. I figure this is the main thing to solve in the game but was really annoying me as I was using a 1h Mace and Shield and found I could only have 3slots on the 1 hander, but couldn't find more than 4 on a shield? Also trying to get the right damn colors I burned through all my rainbow gem things which I feel was stupid to do.

So long story short, any advice on how to gear up as I level up a new guy?

50433.png?1708759015
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the short answer is that almost everybody just gets hold of a fairly cheap unique chest called tabula rasa that gives you a 6-link chest that can be socketed with any gems to level their second+ characters in a league - precisely because skill links are so irritating

obF2Wuw.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Max links on a shield is 3. I just keep an eye out for a white 4 link of usable colors and run that until I can afford something better. I'll probably hit it with the best essence of greed that I have for the life but you'd be surprised at how much content you can do with a piece of white gear as long as you're keeping up resists on the other gear.

I also don't worry about optimising colors until maps or I find a tabula. As long as I can toss in 3 reasonable supports I don't sweat it much.

Edit: if you're burning through a ton of chromatics I'd guess the problem is one of:
    - trying to upgrade key gear too often. In the acts only worry about enough links for your main skill
    - trying to off color something. Trying to 4B an armor helm is asking for trouble
    - not picking up chromatic recipe stuff

Carpy on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Are you still trying to go with a summoning build? You can pretty easily get by with 4 links for most of your skills for a long ways.

Also, look up the various recipes for items, if you find a white 4l helm in the right colors, I believe there is a recipe to make it have +1 to minion gems socketed, and then you throw zombies up there for now.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Yep I'm still doing the summoning build. After only playing a little on PC I like the control I have vs using the controller on PS4. So I'm sticking on PC I think. I'm a whopping lvl 12. The crafting recipes is something I'll admit I didn't really look into that much or the menagerie ones. So the problem I was having is this. I can't 4l a single handed weapon, and I'm not sure if I should switch to a 2H and drop my shield for the long run?

50433.png?1708759015
    I think eventually you'll want a 2hander, not sure what build you are going with, but most skills do decent damage with your passive and a 4l, which can be gloves, boots, or helm.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

I'm using this guys website for a newbie guided walkthrough of the game and mechanics plus his guided Templar minion build.

https://sites.google.com/view/thetwilightstrand/guided-builds/guided-guardian

50433.png?1708759015
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    You can't even get 4L until act 3 so don't worry too much for now. 1H/Shield is fine, it lets you run Shield Charge and you'll be able to have 4L in helm, gloves, and boots and up to 6 in your chest.

Also, keep in mind that the defence provided by the armor affects the color of sockets you are likely to roll

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok so... I am wanting getting back into this this league. What are some easy budget friendly builds that are hand arthritis friendly (ie not too much constant clicking or button mashing)? I have been told Winter Orb; I have tried out a Trickster Winter Orb by some guy named Ghazzy but it is a fair chunk of buttons so my hands start to ache after not too long. I have also been told RF or some sort of summoner build. Those both still good/viable? Any recommendations for a build for those or any other builds that might fit my needs? Thanks for the help guys.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    Ok so... I am wanting getting back into this this league. What are some easy budget friendly builds that are hand arthritis friendly (ie not too much constant clicking or button mashing)? I have been told Winter Orb; I have tried out a Trickster Winter Orb by some guy named Ghazzy but it is a fair chunk of buttons so my hands start to ache after not too long. I have also been told RF or some sort of summoner build. Those both still good/viable? Any recommendations for a build for those or any other builds that might fit my needs? Thanks for the help guys.

I've been running a Zombie/Skeleton build that involves summoning a bunch of zombies that stay alive forever, and then every 30+ seconds I need to summon a couple of more skeletons, which pop up 3 at a time. You still end up mashing flasks, but you could probably setup a macro so you only have to push 1 button to hit all of them.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I've been running a Zombie/Skeleton build that involves summoning a bunch of zombies that stay alive forever, and then every 30+ seconds I need to summon a couple of more skeletons, which pop up 3 at a time. You still end up mashing flasks, but you could probably setup a macro so you only have to push 1 button to hit all of them.

Amusingly, this is not kosher and could get your banned

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

I've been using max block gladiator (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2218039) and mostly it involves holding down right click in the direction of the enemy and left clicking to pick up loot.

Rius wrote: »

Well, I'm real glad I haven't gotten around to setting up my mouse for that, then.

• hushhush Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pM_5S55jUzk

Pretty interesting talk from Chris at GDC this year - even he has a mini mea culpa regarding the state that Synthesis was thrown out to us. A couple interesting questions from the audience at the end too.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

not really though, unless you stream it or advertise it

J3qcnBP.png
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    That video was a good watch, though I didn't catch the part they talked more about Synthesis's pitfalls.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Doesn't it force log you out if you do too many actions at once?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

I don't think that would be an issue if you're using it for accessibility reasons.

Like we're talking about bringing APM up to like average teenager level here not break the game level

fuck gendered marketing
    Yeah, I was just planning on running a macro that would hit all of the flasks in order with a couple ms delay between each. The same as running my finger across the top of my board, just with less moving, and not accidentally skipping over one.

Saldonas wrote: »
    That video was a good watch, though I didn't catch the part they talked more about Synthesis's pitfalls.

It was just the offhand comment when he said something like "I was going to tell you when our prototype of synthesis was ready, but it is actually embarrassing, and now we have to play catch up", and then his comments on the next league, where he said they were on their 2nd or 3rd prototype and that it was shaping up well.

Definitely not a deep dive into the problems, I just thought it was amusing that it worked its way into that particular discussion.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

i mash 1-5 (rius can attest for my mashing when we discord) and a macro would do it less often

they cant tell unless you are blatant

J3qcnBP.png
    hush wrote: »
    Saldonas wrote: »

It was just the offhand comment when he said something like "I was going to tell you when our prototype of synthesis was ready, but it is actually embarrassing, and now we have to play catch up", and then his comments on the next league, where he said they were on their 2nd or 3rd prototype and that it was shaping up well.

Definitely not a deep dive into the problems, I just thought it was amusing that it worked its way into that particular discussion.

To me the interesting part of that was when he talked about how they stopped pipelining patches because when someone was working on one problem, if it got challenging or boring or whatever they'd just go find another project in production to work on instead of completing the original task

Which makes a ton of sense! Product pipelining can be useful, unless you're on a strict 13 week release cycle which requires 100% attention right up until the moment it doesn't.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png

i mash 1-5 (rius can attest for my mashing when we discord) and a macro would do it less often

they cant tell unless you are blatant

Accidentally mashing your freeze flask in a panic until it runs out and getting frozen and ripping to standard from a strongbox is a treasured part of the hardcore experience

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

I've been using max block gladiator (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2218039) and mostly it involves holding down right click in the direction of the enemy and left clicking to pick up loot.

How hard/expensive is that to start out?

Or have any recommendations for a summoner build, easy, tanky, arthritis friendly? Thanks again.

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    PS4 Noob (I am currently doing lvl. IV maps), who wants to try another character
    When I look at builds (for example, that max block gladiator) I see they have stuff with one regular gem and 3+ support gems in one piece of gear. They basically use a kind of snake-link structure with the main gem as the head and support gems as the body. Does this mean you can link multiple supports together and then link one of them to the main gem, so that you can have a main gem with 3+ active supports? :eek:

For example : Herald of Agony linked to Pierce Support, which is linked to Minion Damage Support, which is linked to Vicious Projectiles Support, which is linked to Damage on Full Life Support.

Does something like that work?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    PS4 Noob (I am currently doing lvl. IV maps), who wants to try another character
    When I look at builds (for example, that max block gladiator) I see they have stuff with one regular gem and 3+ support gems in one piece of gear. They basically use a kind of snake-link structure with the main gem as the head and support gems as the body. Does this mean you can link multiple supports together and then link one of them to the main gem, so that you can have a main gem with 3+ active supports? :eek:

For example : Herald of Agony linked to Pierce Support, which is linked to Minion Damage Support, which is linked to Vicious Projectiles Support, which is linked to Damage on Full Life Support.

Does something like that work?

Yes. Exactly what order the gems are in the links doesn't matter; anything in the same complex of gems is linked to everything in that full set of links. The whole advantage of a 6-link 2H or body armor is to put 5 support gems on one active gem, increasing its damage by a tonnnn.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Or have any recommendations for a summoner build, easy, tanky, arthritis friendly? Thanks again.

It's pretty dang cheap to get workable, the most expensive items are the chest armor and the unique jewel, neither of which I have yet and I'm comfortably doing low tier maps. Level with whatever you like until Cyclone and Herald of Agony become available, then stick HoAg into at least a four link (I used a helmet with +1 level to minion gems for a really long time) and Cyclone into another 4 link with poison support and whatever else you feel like supporting with and spin to victory. The build really turns on at around level 46 when you can pick up and equip the Advancing Fortress claw and the Anvil amulet for less than a chaos each and crank your chance to block through the roof. I made a few tweaks to the suggested build to pick up some mana leech so I didn't have to run blood magic with cyclone to start out with. Between the mana leech and the life leech/regen I basically don't care about flasks unless I am impatient and want to go faster.

edited April 2019

This is what I've kind of been following.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2114607

The tree says its out of date, but I don't think much has changed with the nodes you are picking up its fine.

Gearing will eventually probably end up pricy, but I think my current character has about 5c worth of bought gear (also currenlty doesn't have enough resists for mapping, but I made it mapping on this).

He has a bit about leveling that talks about what links you want to pick up when, which I found super helpful.

Edit: Also, for pretty much all of the content ever, Vaal Summon Skeleton just ends bosses. You pop it, then you do your best to stay out of the bosses way, provided it lives long enough to attack you.

Brody on

Just a heads up for anyone with twitch prime - looks like we have a few months of cosmetics headed our way - the first pack should be out and able to be redeemed

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    How does Deflection (passive) interact with Lioneye's Remorse+Cerberus Limb? Or do they just not interact and act separately?

edit: Also, who was talking about Storm Burst+Herald of Agony earlier? Do you have a build link?

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The shield itself has to have at least 30% block, which Lioneye's Remorse has, so you don't need Deflection unless you just want the extra block. You'd get both extra armor from lioneye's with Deflection, and thus extra ES from Cerberus Limb.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    The shield itself has to have at least 30% block, which Lioneye's Remorse has, so you don't need Deflection unless you just want the extra block. You'd get both extra armor from lioneye's with Deflection, and thus extra ES from Cerberus Limb.

But does Deflection increase the armor rating (40% increased Defenses from Equipped Shield) of Lioneye's Remorse, which increases the Energy Shield granted by Cerberus Limb?

akirasig.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

But does Deflection increase the armor rating (40% increased Defenses from Equipped Shield) of Lioneye's Remorse, which increases the Energy Shield granted by Cerberus Limb?

Yes.

I can highly recommend playing an ED Trickster to anyone that wants a super tanky easy to play character that can clear any map and Delve with ease*

*bosses not always included. Incursions especially Architects are weirdly extremely tough to finish. Syndicate takes a while to die but you can ignore their damage.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    So if I want to try and craft my own 6l Sadist Garb with fossils, I'll take the white item, probably toss the quality craft at it, then start with an alchemical 2 slot and hit it with Aetheric + Dense, and see what it rolls. If I don't like what I get, do I scour/reapply with achemical, or then start using Chaotic resonators to overwrite what I had? Does using more than one dense in a 3 slot give me more Dense mods?

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    So if I want to try and craft my own 6l Sadist Garb with fossils, I'll take the white item, probably toss the quality craft at it, then start with an alchemical 2 slot and hit it with Aetheric + Dense, and see what it rolls. If I don't like what I get, do I scour/reapply with achemical, or then start using Chaotic resonators to overwrite what I had? Does using more than one dense in a 3 slot give me more Dense mods?

You actually probably want to start with perfect fossils to get 20+ quality, then do the other crafts. You cannot use more than one dense in a resonator, and there is no relevant difference between scouring then alchemical resonator-ing on the one hand, and just using chaotic resonators on the other. One costs a scour more than the other, but that's it, really.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina