As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Methadone

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Methadone

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Mmm... I'm gonna need somebody to explain the punchline here. Halp?

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    zeromh wrote: »

Gear in The Division is just regular clothes. So "methadone" (the therapeutic replacement drug for heroin) for The Division is to shop for regular clothes.

i-72H83p6-2100x20000.jpg
    Realism is not something Gabriel finds interesting basically at all. He has no relationship of any kind to any of his guns in The Division, and he legitimately resents being made to learn muggle clothing terms like “slouchy beanie” or “trendy shemagh.” You’re not gonna get a Young Ahamkara’s Spine, with its hints of a metaphysical payload, from any loot in The Division. So you can’t really manipulate him the way you could in another game with “new art” which is what keeps him going in games. He likes playing it. He does! But the gear and presentation aren’t mythic, they’re “realistic.” There’s no aspirational firearm that takes up forty percent of the screen real estate to seek and claim. By making it realistic, at least for him, they’ve made it more abstract.

dennis on
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

I haven't played Division 2, but I think it's a joke about how the loot in that game is basically just different kinds of clothes from Old Navy?
    Since the game is based on "real world", so there's no magic swords or golden full plate armor... you just have better stat versions of jeans and hats and jackets and such.
    So Tycho feels better about not playing the Division 2 by just basically getting "new loot" by buying it in the clothing store.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh. I thought he was helping him shop for clothes that would be good for his grave-digging trip.

• Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Ah, very helpful - I wouldn't have gotten that. Thanks Dennis and Lorek!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

I haven't played Division 2, but I think it's a joke about how the loot in that game is basically just different kinds of clothes from Old Navy?
    Since the game is based on "real world", so there's no magic swords or golden full plate armor... you just have better stat versions of jeans and hats and jackets and such.
    So Tycho feels better about not playing the Division 2 by just basically getting "new loot" by buying it in the clothing store.

[pedant]
    jeans and hats and whatnot are cosmetic items with no stats.
    body armor, kneepads, holsters, etc are the actual gear.
    [/pedant]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    I thought they were against LARPing

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

[pedant]
    jeans and hats and whatnot are cosmetic items with no stats.
    body armor, kneepads, holsters, etc are the actual gear.
    [/pedant]

He does have a new backpack on. But cosmetics are the inevitable end game of any MMO with appearance options anyway.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Maybe clothes shopping would be more interesting if the tags had various stats with green and red arrows next to them.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Maybe clothes shopping would be more interesting if the tags had various stats with green and red arrows next to them.
    The problem with fashion is that there are constant "balance" patches, and your clothes keep getting nerfed with each subsequent patch.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    somehow "grinding mobs" for 80 hours in order to upgrade my "holster" isn't real compelling.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The problem with fashion is that there are constant "balance" patches, and your clothes keep getting nerfed with each subsequent patch.

Yeah but if you hang on to clothes long enough they might come back into the meta.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Fun fact: "Go shopping at Old Navy" is one of the troubleshooting steps Origin gave me when I couldn't get a game to work.

When I reported no changes, they closed the ticket without further help.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    somehow "grinding mobs" for 80 hours in order to upgrade my "holster" isn't real compelling.

Would it help if the holster was constantly on fire?

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Further adventures in 'this shit:'

i-G7NFWWq-2100x20000.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I still love the bottom half of that first panel.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    It's kinda telling about how uninspired The Division games are that the only joke they can come up about it is "Boy, the loot in this game is just regular clothes. Weird huh?"

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well they aren't political "no poli" so its either that or how little story there is in div 2. "Man I didn't realize the summary of the game was literally all the story"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    It is pretty funny how so many super bro-esque shooting mans games have so much fashion and customization in them. Like, I just started Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and I had 46 choices for shirts, most of which could be further customized with multiple color choices.

"46" isn't just a randomly chosen large number. There were literally 46 different shirts to choose from. I didn't check how many pant options there were, or hats or shoes or any of the other clothing slots. It took me over an hour to get the perfect outfit. In real life, it takes me like 30 seconds to open my closet and grab a pair of slacks and a dress shirt, maybe a polo if it's a warm day.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well they aren't political "no poli" so its either that or how little story there is in div 2. "Man I didn't realize the summary of the game was literally all the story"

Yeah the first one at least has a little bit of story, but the second is barely anything but a premise. There's actually a surprising amount of "lore" type stuff attached to collectibles ( most of which i understand is basically just examples of the different different factions and bosses being awful so you don't feel ambivalent about needing to shoot them), but also some weird semi hidden side stuff.

But yeah, no real story, just loot shooting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    This shirt is two sizes too small, but it's higher rarity than any of the clothes that fit me so I think I'll keep it for now.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah the first one at least has a little bit of story, but the second is barely anything but a premise. There's actually a surprising amount of "lore" type stuff attached to collectibles ( most of which i understand is basically just examples of the different different factions and bosses being awful so you don't feel ambivalent about needing to shoot them), but also some weird semi hidden side stuff.

But yeah, no real story, just loot shooting.

The first one had story in it that ultimately never went anywhere. I don't they've figured out how to do real stories while still leaving room for sequels.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772