As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! FINE I'LL CHANGE THE TITLE NEW STUFF BLADE IS BACK

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    me

i'll guard the galaxy or whatever

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    me

Cosmo took your spot, sorry

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Maaaaaaaaan. I was talking about comics elsewhere on the net and was reminded of the cards I used to collect. I have one of the sets with me, Marvel series 4 from the early 90s. So I bust out the binder and figured I'd show my nephew and bond a bit maybe. He knows only a couple heroes like Spider-man and Captain America, but maybe I could get him interested in learning more.

So him being him, he has ZERO interest in the characters I would've been able to tell him about, and instead he's pointing at the likes of Speedball and Tiger Shark.

Edit - OH GOOD. I never read the Civil War comics directly so I missed out on Speedball's involvement in that shit and JESUS JUMPED UP CHRIST WHAT D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    norman+osborn+01.JPG

Man I love this panel.

• Options
    Odin wrote: »
    me

son of a bitch

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Maaaaaaaaan. I was talking about comics elsewhere on the net and was reminded of the cards I used to collect. I have one of the sets with me, Marvel series 4 from the early 90s. So I bust out the binder and figured I'd show my nephew and bond a bit maybe. He knows only a couple heroes like Spider-man and Captain America, but maybe I could get him interested in learning more.

So him being him, he has ZERO interest in the characters I would've been able to tell him about, and instead he's pointing at the likes of Speedball and Tiger Shark.

Edit - OH GOOD. I never read the Civil War comics directly so I missed out on Speedball's involvement in that shit and JESUS JUMPED UP CHRIST WHAT D:

Yeah, Civil War was super modern Millar

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    norman+osborn+01.JPG

Man I love this panel.

I reject any universe in which Norman Osborn has heard of my chemical romance.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Odin wrote: »
    me

son of a bitch

Well, yes.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    norman+osborn+01.JPG

Man I love this panel.

I reject any universe in which Norman Osborn has heard of my chemical romance.

Maybe he's referring to the English title of Perfume's だいじょばない ?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    norman+osborn+01.JPG

Man I love this panel.
    That is a very good panel.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Perhaps, but I still prefer the whole "naked dictation" sequence.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

...was Civil War just an allegory for gun control and muh freedom?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

...was Civil War just an allegory for gun control and muh freedom?
    Millar would probably prefer if people think that.

• Options
    in thirty years they will show how out of touch steve rogers is by him knowing what myspace is

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mark Millar did a lot of bad writing in Civil War, but Civil War: Front Line might be the worst part of the event, and Millar didn't have anything to do with it (shout out to Paul Jenkins). And the worst part of that isn't even the Speedball -> Penance stuff, or even "you're out of touch, Cap, you don't even know what Myspace is," it's the issue where Peter Parker is contemplating the injustice of registering superheroes while they intersperse quotes from someone who was in a Japanese internment camp

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Oh fucking boy

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember, was Civil War registering superheroes (that is Vigilantes) or registering anyone with some sort of above-base-human power?

cause there's a stark difference between the two there, and I feel like I remember it being the second?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, for context, this is a society that has developed and tolerated, you know, Sentinels and Genosha*

*Before it was changed by mutants into a mutant homeland

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember, was Civil War registering superheroes (that is Vigilantes) or registering anyone with some sort of above-base-human power?

cause there's a stark difference between the two there, and I feel like I remember it being the second?

One of the fundamental problems of CW is that the main book was as vague as possible about the SRA and all the other books had to just guess so the answer is yes to both depending on who was writing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

One of the fundamental problems of CW is that the main book was as vague as possible about the SRA and all the other books had to just guess so the answer is yes to both depending on who was writing.

Fun!

So anywhere from "My Hero Academia status quo" to "The Mutant Registration Act II: Now Everyone's Registering!"

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    superhero politics stories are always rough because they don't want to alienate anyone, so they just talk about some broad stroke political ideas with superheroes as stand-ins, rather than asking the hard questions like "how does captain america feel about restoring voting rights to felons" or "hey iron man! abortions?"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    tony stark is all about abortions

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

Fun!

So anywhere from "My Hero Academia status quo" to "The Mutant Registration Act II: Now Everyone's Registering!"

Yeah, a significant part of the problem is that no one, not even the writers, knew what the fuck was going on.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i love that dumb gif so much

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I liked Penance

The Penance stuff in Ellis' Thunderbolts was really interesting and cool. Penance hated himself and learned not to bit by bit, that he'd made a mistake but that ultimately he can't live in that mistake forever.

Solar on
  • Options
    i had completely forgotten the more egregious bullshit of civil war: frontline

now it's all coming back and holy shit was it awful and if i remember correctly, more issues longer than the actual event

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    i had completely forgotten the more egregious bullshit of civil war: frontline

now it's all coming back and holy shit was it awful and if i remember correctly, more issues longer than the actual event

yeah, there were like, twelve, and I bought all of them because the basic idea of it was rad!

I think secret invasion: frontline eventually got the concept more or less right, but that also hit when I was basically done buying single issues

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Penance in Thunderbolts felt like the best and most interesting way to dig that particular character out of the stupid, stupid hole they'd put him in.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Norman Osborne constantly exasperated by the gaggle of freakazoids he was forced to work with was the best part of that whole storyline.
    He was like an evil Ron Swanson.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    norman osborn was the best thing about marvel comics for like, a good three or four years

• Options
    edited April 2019
    this is my regularly scheduled post where i say i am still bummed that all of dark reign and the rise of norman osborne wasn't just a stupidly elaborate plan designed solely to ruin spider-man's day

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    this is my regularly scheduled post where i say i am still bummed that all of dark reign and the rise of norman osborne wasn't just a stupidly elaborate plan designed solely to ruin spider-man's day
    The brief moment in New Avengers where Spidey breaks formation and just wails on Norman while verbally vomiting panicked quip dialogue about how much this status quo drives him nuts was real good and shouldn't have been the only real big moment we got of them together

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The bigger disappointment for me is how hard they beefed The Heroic Age

They built it up as, like, the big return of heroism and bright, inspiring stories after the murky years long status quo trains of Civil War, Secret War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign

Aaaand it was basically just the same as before but with no villains in actual positions of power and then whoops AvX a year later

Thunderbolts was probably the only book to really run with the premise

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Rosenberg's dedication to loremastering continues to pay off in this week's war of the realm UXM tie-in

with brunnhilde dead and the Tessa Thompson valkyrie missing, there is one active valkyrie left to defend midgard:

Dani Moonstar

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Rosenberg's dedication to loremastering continues to pay off in this week's war of the realm UXM tie-in

with brunnhilde dead and the Tessa Thompson valkyrie missing, there is one active valkyrie left to defend midgard:

Dani Moonstar

holy shit
    Nanny and Orphan-Maker?!

• Options
    Rosenberg only goes for deep cuts, it seems like

It's kind of a bummer that he's going to be supplanted by a Big, Grand Hickman story

• Options
    Avengers took one hell of a swerve this week and it rules
    It introduced the new Squadron Supreme. Hyperion is a school teacher, Nighthawk is a Congressional Rep, etc. And they are working for Coulson and the US Government.

Only they have gaps in their memory and can't quite recall how they got here or started heroing.

Turns out

They're all clones, built by Coulson to serve as America's superheroes and defend American ideals. They are under his full control and he tweaks their personalities accordingly.

But Coulson is suddenly cruel and murderous and came back to life unexpectedly and has all these resources and how did this happen?

His benefactor, and the one secretly guiding the metahuman branch of the US Government (and also actively corrupting him and causing his behavior) is Mephisto.

The fuckin Devil is running America's superheroes.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Apparently WandaVision had a promo image shown that never was released to the public and Elizabeth Olsen described it in an interview as Wanda and Vision together in the 1950s suburbs

Which suddenly makes that show name make a lot more sense if they're going for a pastiche of that era

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I will also say that Jason Aaron?

Turns out he would write a pretty good Justice League book

This discussion has been closed.