As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

The amount of hours spent during my childhood playing Archon was legendary.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Embark: y/n?

Fucking queue.

What is this I don't even.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

Did you know someone put a remake out on Steam? I bought it about 8 years ago!

What's that, you ask? How is it? Dunno, I never tried it. I have played versions of it on Atari 800 and the NES when I was younger, though.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I'll save you!

*pushes you further in*

Swim harder!

Drown less!

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

What's that, you ask? How is it? Dunno, I never tried it. I have played versions of it on Atari 800 and the NES when I was younger, though.

I was sorely disappointed in the remake. It was muddy, confusing and sluggish.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

I did! Actually happened to be at the PAX where they showed it off for the first time. But....
    Iolo wrote: »

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

I was sorely disappointed in the remake. It was muddy, confusing and sluggish.

...this was my feeling too after reading reviews. Never pulled the trigger on it and don't feel bad about it one bit. Probably best for it to be nostalgia in my head.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

I want to get off EvmaAlsar's Wild Ride.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

I remember playing it for the first time as a kid. I was amazed. It's Action Chess!

steam_sig.png
    Talus9952 wrote: »

g1e6vph9a9ty.gif

I remember playing it for the first time as a kid. I was amazed. It's Action Chess!

The idea of having non-binary space contention in a board game setting has always been amazing. The turn-based, real-time aspect has been woefully underappreciated or copied in other games. Archon was truly ahead of its time.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I loved Archon back on the old 286. Then after I finally figured out how the heck that game worked I discovered Battle Chess and I never went back to regular chess ever again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Wasn’t battle chess just regular chess with capture attack animations?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

You got a problem with that?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Wow I haven't thought about Battle Chess in many years. Is there anything like it out now?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Wow I haven't thought about Battle Chess in many years. Is there anything like it out now?

Does Warhammer 40,000: Regicide fit the bill?

https://youtu.be/jcxqhIuVrDU

EDIT: It looks like X-com on a chess board or something.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman

https://store.steampowered.com/app/211050/Battle_vs_Chess/

?

Nope, just wondering if the game had real-time combat as well. Something I remember being sorely disappointed about after being such a big Archon fan.

Fun side note about Chess, I had an idea for a game called Real-Time Chess (or RTC for short). The idea was that the game plays exactly like Chess but players don't have to take turns. Opponent taking too long, fuck it, move again. The only exception was that there was an automated 2-3 second delay between taking your turns (indicated by a visual guide or nearby timer), that got lessened over time to make for a frantic endgame.

I might one day seriously make this game.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    @MNC Dover I'd play that.

There's a mobile game called Really Bad Chess as well, which is chess but with completely random pieces. It's surprisingly good fun.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Nope, just wondering if the game had real-time combat as well. Something I remember being sorely disappointed about after being such a big Archon fan.

Fun side note about Chess, I had an idea for a game called Real-Time Chess (or RTC for short). The idea was that the game plays exactly like Chess but players don't have to take turns. Opponent taking too long, fuck it, move again. The only exception was that there was an automated 2-3 second delay between taking your turns (indicated by a visual guide or nearby timer), that got lessened over time to make for a frantic endgame.

Add in toss the board and you will sell a million copies.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

Wait, like "Toss the Board" is a concede button you can use to flip the board, sending pieces everywhere? That sounds perfect!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Wait, like "Toss the Board" is a concede button you can use to flip the board, sending pieces everywhere? That sounds perfect!

sounds like someone needs to play some Tabletop Simulator. Every game I've played with @CorriganX has required immediate deactivation of the "Flip Table" button.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • subisubi Registered User regular
    And... Lost Winds and Lost Winds 2 finished :) Now is there any similar game ?!

vewlj25svwj3.png

Such an appropriate title! Thanks @Spoit for agreeing that I am not a monster! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Got excited when I saw on the Giantbomb quicklook that the new Steamworld game is an RPG with cards. Went to wishlist it and apparently its Switch Exclusive (for now) :(

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Got excited when I saw on the Giantbomb quicklook that the new Steamworld game is an RPG with cards. Went to wishlist it and apparently its Switch Exclusive (for now) :(

Awww. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Yeah, but what kind of crazy person doesn’t have a Switch? Those games aren’t gonna play on rooftops by themselves.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Long as huniecam is retconned out of existence, I'm in.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Long as huniecam is retconned out of existence, I'm in.

Not a fan of bump and grinding gameplay?

Must buy mk 11 due Jak's ending getting the game review bombed

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

Maybe MK 11 having a completely bullshit singleplayer content (especially monetisation) and Ronda Rousey would make you reconsider. But what do I know, the very violence of that game turns me off.

Ronda Rousey needs a better agent

Also, i like strong women ripping each other's spines out.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Maybe MK 11 having a completely bullshit singleplayer content (especially monetisation) and Ronda Rousey would make you reconsider. But what do I know, the very violence of that game turns me off.

Literally the only bad thing about the single player content is the monetisation, I don’t see how it’s completely bullshit? It’s got an awesome story and single player stuff to do. Unlocking is a pain but also possible to get everything since things like costumes don’t double up. Like it sucks but it’s not burn it in a fire bad.

Prohass on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ronda Rousey is inexplicably famous despite being a transphobic sandy hook truther who can't act. I think her agent is doing their job well.

Aistan wrote: »
    Ronda Rousey is inexplicably famous despite being a transphobic sandy hook truther who can't act. I think her agent is doing their job well.

:(:(:(:(

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah Id totally support people not buying the game cos she’s involved, she’s human garbage and its a bad call in a game series that otherwise has been getting more and more progressive (to the point that grumblegaters actively rage against it)

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I haven’t paid a ton of attention to the drama, but most of the complaining about MK11 on oneangrygamer and KotakuInAction seems to come from the idea that a series that has always been fairly edgy and prone to pushing the boundaries of what is allowable in games is suddenly very concerned about its image with regards to women in skimpy outfits, while being all on-board with more and more detailed depictions of rather gruesome ways to kill people.

Myself, I’ve just bought the last two games in the series on deep discount to play through the story modes, which are generally very good - MKX’s story mode in particular could stand alone as a reasonably good animated movie even if you took the fighting bits out of it - so I will probably do that for MK11 once it hits ten bucks or so.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    I admit I was being snide at Royce. For real though, these days I have an averse reaction to people spending money when their sole or deciding reason is to spite the dregs pissed off at whatever outrage du jour. Goes for everything, from funding a rich creep's lawyer because sane people think he's rich and a creep, to in this case buying a full price video game because the altright cannot tolerate a black man doing something other than being submissive.

Might just be me being a bit money tight these days. Spend your money on Destroyah for me, you'll be more satisfied. Or just buy whatever you want if you are interested in it, I'm not a parent.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I watched a cutscene from Mortal Kombat XI where a female character screams as she gets her head split in half by a giant shard of glass with a closeup of her exposed brains, so the whole "we can't have them in skimpy clothing because we respect women" thing feels a little hollow.

Meanwhile literally zero people give a shit that every male character is chiseled out of marble and a decent portion of them spend the game shirtless. I'm pretty sure the internet is stupid.

A sfm group has a kickstarter.

It has been funded.

If they actually deliver a finished project, it shall be a race among us to deliver said product to pixie

This discussion has been closed.