As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    In all seriousness there needs to be an investigation into the refs. The number of games that have consistently beaten the spread this year, combined with the number of ridiculous calls across pretty much every single game, are glaring red flags.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    the Jazz are still facing elimination next game, so why does it feel like Houston lost the series with this game?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Nets and Magic also not getting calls and losing big

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    God Damn Dame.

Carpy on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: Dame Lillard is a bad, bad man.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Westbrook 11-31

yikes

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Lillard is scary

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    k284lpdnnnjy.png

This is one of the greatest post-game pictures I've ever seen.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    For anyone who hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-M3x-eZpV8

Westbrook shot the Thunder out of another playoff series.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    That was so amazing. That was the most ice cold shit I've ever seen, and I was in the building for .9. Dame was just dribbling, not moving for what seemed like an eternity, before coolly stepping and busting the shot on Playoff P's face in one smooth motion. Ballgame indeed.

• Options
    I appreciate the thread name change.

Dame also described where he was at on the court as 'comfortable range' and I am just sitting here giggling like an idiot,

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dame will forever be a hero on Portland now. Yet another Bay Area kid who moved up to the Pacific Northwest...

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Westbrook 11-31

yikes

This is why I haven't been watching this series. It's painful when he does this shit. There were two players in this series that should be taking 30+ shots and Westbrook isn't one of them

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah. I love Westbrook but he's at his best being a rebounder and distributer and taking most of his shots from inside.

He let Dame get in his head and his ego made him try to do too much and it cost them.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular

This is an alternate angle that Adande tweeted out. That ball was in the air forever.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Damian pillars is a Bad Man

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Oh good my phone ruined it and the lack of edit sealed it

• Options
    In the post game press George was insisting that it was a bad shot decision. Normally I'd agree with him but apparently Dame is like 10-18 on shots beyond 30 feet? I don't know what to make of that

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I can't fault a guy for thinking "Yeah, I can live with giving up a step-back 37-footer."

Dame shot it with the confidence of a man that had a deal with the devil, but it's still a step-back from 37 feet. That shit is ridiculous.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    you let guys take 37 ft step backs because it's not really defendable in any way.

what a shot though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Dame was sitting 64% on like 18 attempts for shots over 27feet before the series, in which he made a handful. He was 3/3 on shots over 30 feet. I can understand living with that shot, but it wasn't a fluke, and insisting over and over it was a bad shot isnt a good look for Mr. Ballgame.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    In the post game press George was insisting that it was a bad shot decision. Normally I'd agree with him but apparently Dame is like 10-18 on shots beyond 30 feet? I don't know what to make of that

Yeah, George came off as salty more than anything. Not that he's totally wrong, but still.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    To be fair, I would also be incredibly salty if someone hit a 37 foot elimination game winning stepback over me.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    burbo wrote: »
    Dame was sitting 64% on like 18 attempts for shots over 27feet before the series, in which he made a handful. He was 3/3 on shots over 30 feet. I can understand living with that shot, but it wasn't a fluke, and insisting over and over it was a bad shot isnt a good look for Mr. Ballgame.

if you're actually 60+% on shots over 27 feet you should probably only take them forever and snap the sport of basketball in half.

small sample size theatre.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    If Portland is down 1, then that's a terrible play. Since it was a tie it's acceptable but not great.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I mean, if you've got the ball and time is running out, why not take the shot? Best case you win, worst case you were going to OT anyway?

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »

if you're actually 60+% on shots over 27 feet you should probably only take them forever and snap the sport of basketball in half.

small sample size theatre.

I'm not saying 60% would hold up over a large sample size, I'm just saying that making one isn't a fluke.

Besides, clutch basketball is all small sample size theatre, with damn near every situation being totally unique, unrepeatable, with no control experiments. To act like regular season shooting statistics should be generalized to all shots, in all situations, is probably not right. Dame got the shot he wanted, he shot with confidence, and he made it. And it wasn't some lucky bank ass crap, did exactly what he wanted to and it worked out. The situation will never be repeated, so we don't get to a statistical sampling and see if he would have been better off driving into the teeth of the defense, getting fouled a hundred times without it being called (because it's the end of the game), trying to shoot over 3 people or whatever is supposedly the correct method. It's really just silly to act like we know the correct statistical decision, and clearly what Westbrook did was right, what Dame did was wrong, and we should reverse the game outcome because obviously the flukey result just happened 2-3 times in a row.

The funniest part about George's response was "It was a bad shot, but that's not the story that will be told". Yeah man, sorry not all the articles today will be about how you brilliantly goaded Dame into taking the exact makeable shot he wanted right in your fucking face as you got sent home early again.

• Options
  • Options
    It’s a fine shot to take because you’re assured last shot and it’s tied so who cares.

It’s not a “good shot”. Contested step back three from 37 feet isn’t gonna go in as often as something you ran a play for, but then you might turn it over and lose. It can be a good decision and a “bad shot”, nba history is littered with such.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He made it but it's not a "good" shot. If you want to be technical, the percent chance of the shot going in was probably pretty low.

But in the end it doesn't matter. He hit it.

So it was a good shot.

• Options
    Ahhhh, so the goalposts have been changed from "bad, bad shot. All the stories should be about what a bad shot it was. Poor me". To not "good shot". I still think it was a pretty good shot, given how difficult buzzer beaters tend to be, and that he wanted to leave no time left on the clock.

• Options
    It's a situation where if he air balls it and they go on to lose, it would be called a bad shot.

It's a good shot in context because it went in.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    He's 0% on the season on shots over 33 feet. PG is 100% correct that it's a bad shot and you would live with it every single time. Just a bad shot that happened to go in.

It's actually better that it's a bad shot. In a sport that's getting moneyballed within an inch of its life by teams like the Rockets, we had a series-ending shot from 37 goddamn feet that was mathematically stupid. It's wonderful that it doesn't make sense, and that it wasn't optimal, and that it worked regardless. That's absolutely part of what made it so great.

• Options
    Clippers showed up

• Options
    I’m shocked how bad the refs are screwing the warriors. This is nuts.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The refs appearing to rig an NBA game? Why I never!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Paul George immediately going, "but it was a b as d shot though!" is the funniest part of this. I don't even care if he's right! Maybe next time don't talk so much shit and he'll just beat you...the regular way, instead of clearly going for the biggest fuck you shot imaginable

• Options
    Fun to see the Clippers at least make things interesting

• Options
    edited April 2019
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Paul George immediately going, "but it was a b as d shot though!" is the funniest part of this. I don't even care if he's right! Maybe next time don't talk so much shit and he'll just beat you...the regular way, instead of clearly going for the biggest fuck you shot imaginable

I'm not saying he shouldn't be quiet about the shot but telling an NBA player not to talk shit is like telling a lot of them not to dribble. Talking massive shit has always been part of the NBA meta game. It's just that some of them are better than others.

Butters on
This discussion has been closed.