As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Zay wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I'd say if you're trying to be ultra efficient I'd do dps for the MSQ. Tanks and healers have real quick dungeon queues so it's easy to level them by just spamming dungeons. The MSQ exp makes leveling up a dps class a lot easier though. The game also has a system in place where if you need to do a dungeon for the MSQ they'll put you in a fasttrack queue the first time you do the dungeon which makes even dps queues pretty quick.

That’s a good point. Probably won’t be too bad to get RDM up to 60 to start out with, either.

unlock all of the 50 & 60 24-man raids if you haven't

the alliance raid roulette is by far the most dps-friendly one

If your online at off hours you can even find DPS in need bonuses on it sometimes. That's a lot of xp.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    two things:

I fucking love that you can get healer queues with scholar while also leveling summoner for free

strangely the only remnants of cross-classing still in the game, far as I know, are the crafters. I can't even imagine getting just one of them to cap without other skills to help

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    another thing about leveling alt jobs is you get a big experience bonus for combat jobs that are lower level than your highest level combat job, like a 100% bonus. I think that applies to all experience from kills, not sure if it applies to exp from finishing quests or dungeons or the roulette once-a-day bonus though?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Armory Bonus applies to Kills, and the finishing EXP for Leves and FATEs, but doesn't apply to Quests, finishing Dungeons, or anything else.

All other EXP boosts apply only to Kills. Armory Bonus is the only EXP boost that breaks that rule.

The Armory Bonus rate is 100% bonus EXP if the class you're leveling is 1-59, and 50% bonus EXP if the class you're leveling is 60-70, so long as you have another combat class that's already higher level.

Here's the source I've been using, and it's been accurate so far - https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Experience

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Dungeons notably have a lot of kill xp anyways, so if you're in the highest dungeon you can do then xp bonuses do add up.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Yeah, trying to hit dungeons at a level where you're still getting a Chain Bonus for the kills is where the big money is at. Not doing all content 8-10 levels past it because you can't help but scour the map clean of all secondary objectives, like I've been doing.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    This 12 hour maintenance is a bummer, I was actually excited to hop back in for a second day. Ah, well

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Oh, I never knew there was an SE++ FFXIV thing going on. Neat.

If anyone ever needs help, and you’re on the Aether data center, let me know.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What's this? Ameryic is inviting me on a dat-- dinner? Who am I to refuse to those lovely blue eyes surrounded by long eyelashes.... ahem!
    That being said, my character and I had the same idea when we watched the servant handling the wine like a hawk.

And now I'm doing a little tour quest, revisiting all the people I met during the storyline. I can see why people love this expansion.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    What's this? Ameryic is inviting me on a dat-- dinner? Who am I to refuse to those lovely blue eyes surrounded by long eyelashes.... ahem!
    That being said, my character and I had the same idea when we watched the servant handling the wine like a hawk.

And now I'm doing a little tour quest, revisiting all the people I met during the storyline. I can see why people love this expansion.

Yeah, that quest series is a good one, and has an awesome end. There's also a side story connected to it, but I recommend that you wait until you have finished the quest chain before reading it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Apparently to try and stress test their new "visit other servers" feature before the expansion they're going to start having an in-game announcement whenever Ixion is up on any server so everyone can rush over to that server and completely crash it kill him together.

So if you're still looking to get the Ixion items, this may be a good chance to finish up if the servers don't melt.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    You're going to have to be awful quick I'd wager. I doubt people just jumping severs to kill him will wait for people to gather.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Larlar
    it wouldn't be much of a stress test if it had normal HP, it will probably have a ridiculously large HP pool or something so people have time to really pile in

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Hopped on for my free week to try and catch up to the current story. I didn't realize I had missed two patches. Just got up to the Ghimlyt Dark last night. Haven't run it yet.

Need to practice on a dummy a bit before jumping back in. It usually takes a day or two before my muscle memory kicks back in. I don't know how some people play multiple classes consistently. I would have to re-learn so much.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So... dealt with the Warriors of Darkness, and I'm pretty sure I know who the Griffin is.... and he has a long over due appointment with my fist.

Also... CALLED IT!!! on the damn eyes...

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Renzo wrote: »
    Hopped on for my free week to try and catch up to the current story. I didn't realize I had missed two patches. Just got up to the Ghimlyt Dark last night. Haven't run it yet.

Need to practice on a dummy a bit before jumping back in. It usually takes a day or two before my muscle memory kicks back in. I don't know how some people play multiple classes consistently. I would have to re-learn so much.

Good memory and keeping keybinds as similar as possible across as many jobs as possible are the two biggest things I do to combat that.

And I'll still flub muscle memory for a bit when I switch (example: when I kept wanting to spam cast Holy as White Mage in boss/single target trash, because it was the same button as Ruin on Scholar. Still worked to not do that and was back to ok by the end of the first dungeon run)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Larlar
    Yeah my main trick is keeping keybinds for similar things in similar places as much as possible

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    If I buy the newest expansion do I get the old one included or are they separate purchases?

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Last night I decided to do a dungeon on DRK because I wanted extra storm seals from the adventurer in need, but I also haven’t played DRK in at least 3 years. I set up all my bars good enough and read all my buttons to remember what they did, and hopped in. Did a double pull, start of Sohm Al, used nearly all of my cooldowns, almost died, and had to kite to live. I couldn’t tell if I was just completely missing something, but later realized the healer just had really no idea what was going on. I don’t think they cast Cure 2 even once, using pretty much only Cure 3 the entire dungeon, and a few times they spam cast Holy far enough away from the enemies to not do anything.

The story wouldn’t be that notable though, if just before the 2nd boss the healer didn’t have the AUDACITY to complain I was pulling too slowly. You rotten little shit! You failed the very first pull and clearly demonstrated you don’t know what you’re doing! I ain’t pulling SHIT

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Larlar
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    If I buy the newest expansion do I get the old one included or are they separate purchases?

you do BUT only when Shadowbringers launches
    Last night I decided to do a dungeon on DRK because I wanted extra storm seals from the adventurer in need, but I also haven’t played DRK in at least 3 years. I set up all my bars good enough and read all my buttons to remember what they did, and hopped in. Did a double pull, start of Sohm Al, used nearly all of my cooldowns, almost died, and had to kite to live. I couldn’t tell if I was just completely missing something, but later realized the healer just had really no idea what was going on. I don’t think they cast Cure 2 even once, using pretty much only Cure 3 the entire dungeon, and a few times they spam cast Holy far enough away from the enemies to not do anything.

The story wouldn’t be that notable though, if just before the 2nd boss the healer didn’t have the AUDACITY to complain I was pulling too slowly. You rotten little shit! You failed the very first pull and clearly demonstrated you don’t know what you’re doing! I ain’t pulling SHIT

Man. What is even the point of Cure 3. It's basically just a trap for baby WHMs who don't look at spell tooltips.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It’s a bigger aoe heal in a smaller radius than medica, that’s about it. I basically never use it

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »

you do BUT only when Shadowbringers launches

Yeah, buying the latest expansion gives you all the previous expansions, so buying Stormblood gets you Heavensward as well.

The best deal would be to buy Shadowbringer, as it would get you Heavensward and Stormblood, but the downside is they won't unlock until Shadowbringer's release date.

Also, I believe you have the regular PC version, so don't buy the expansions from Steam as the Steam version is considered a different client from the regular PC version.

If you're already considering expansions, I take it you are enjoying the game?

If you haven't paid your first subscription yet, I think someone can send you a refer-a-friend code that can get you a few items (including a helmet that boosts XP gain until level 30 or so I think).

• Options
    I also started red mage last night, it’s cool but I really had to struggle to get keybinds set up in a way I liked for it. I am terrified at the prospect of getting more rotational abilities

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    I also started red mage last night, it’s cool but I really had to struggle to get keybinds set up in a way I liked for it. I am terrified at the prospect of getting more rotational abilities

Good news, Red Mage doesn't really get new rotational abilities so much as new trigger abilities.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Is there a way to see gear stats while suynched? I can see that everything g has that little icon, and the stats are in yellow, but they’re just the normal stats on gear. Is a NQ quality white weapon with an item level of 270-something at level 70 going to have better stats than an ilevel 135 relic weapon if I’m being synched to Ramuh extreme? Worse? By how much?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    It’s a bigger aoe heal in a smaller radius than medica, that’s about it. I basically never use it

Cure 3 can actually be pretty nice, but it’s best taken advantage of in statics (where you can better coordinate positioning) or in fights that force people to stack closely. In pugs, Medica 1 & 2 is almost always gonna be the better aoe heal that isn’t an ogcd.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Stilts wrote: »

Cure 3 can actually be pretty nice, but it’s best taken advantage of in statics (where you can better coordinate positioning) or in fights that force people to stack closely. In pugs, Medica 1 & 2 is almost always gonna be the better aoe heal that isn’t an ogcd.

For example, there's a phase in the Ultima fight where the party is both stacked together and getting hit with a nasty DoT that is tailormade for Cure 3 (and I tend to evaluate WHMs in that point by whether they realize that.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Incorrect. In stack situations it’s better to let the other healer handle it, because otherwise you’ll have to stop doing a black ranger pose

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Larlar
    the way to pro heal is let everyone drink potions while you do sick DPS

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Swiftcast+Raise should be all the healing you need.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    Stilts wrote: »

I use it all the time in Final Steps of Faith pugs during the stacking part.

• Options
    Roegadyn

If the monsters are dead they won't be hitting you

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »

turtleant wrote: »

fuckin' preach baby

• Options
    Miqo'te
    wow the double quote, good thing it only makes me stronger

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Miqo'te
    Me: *transfers worlds*

Square-Enix:
    https://youtu.be/fBZ-wDRudsg?t=23

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Cure 3 is more mp efficient than Medica.

Med 2 is best as long as the ticks are not wasted.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    yesterday sargatanas basically got turned into a lady roegadyn convention so I'm willing to call world visit a success

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Au Ra
    Excalibur had a lala meet up but I was sadly raiding at the time

• Options
    Miqo'te
    excalibur is already a mi'qote party world visit wasn't even necessary

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Lady roegs are da bes