As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Some users literally do not know the difference between shutdown, sleep, hibernate, restart, log off, and lock.

TBH, I don't entirely blame them.

*power cycles monitor*

True story I think I've talked about on here before: At my old job this happened to the point where I had to drive many miles to the remote site to reboot a workstation. Nobody at the remote site could find the PC.

I don't do much phone support these days but I recall getting pretty good at verifying things by prompting the user to describe what they were seeing - if they didn't specifically mention something that confirmed a reboot, I knew to ask more questions. Getting someone at a remote site to find common ground in recognizing some piece of kit and then guiding them through tracing cables by their description ('blue with thumb screws' for VGA, 'like a fatter phone cable' for ethernet, etc) is an art unto itself.

On the ISP end of things we have coached each other quite a bit on how to describe our gear to customers and what to unplug and re-plug. Because there are PoE injectors in play, and this complicates things.

We try hard to not rely on field techs to swing by houses to resolve this, but after 15 minutes on the phone that's what's fucking happening.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Overheard from elsewhere in department:

"I just emailed the vendor and said "We upgraded from version 4.8.1 to version 4.9.0 and we need help" and the first line of their reply was "what version are you on?""

Me:

J1dNXnyl.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Remember when Windows XP would just sit and wait for something like 20 whole seconds when you told it to shut down just in case there were programs running that were dragging their feet closing?

Remember modifying that down to 1 millisecond because you're not an idiot and you know to save and close programs before you tell your computer to shut down?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty stunned by the lack of basic knowledge from people with titles higher than mine. I had a principle systems administrator asking me for help, claiming that the application I'm the sysadmin for isn't working on any of the chief executives' mobile devices for something as simple as posting a blog. Name dropping unfortunately means I have to stop all of my other shit. I specifically asked for screenshots, what version of the iPad, what browser was being used, and the browser version. After 2 days of back and forth, turns out this principle systems administrator didn't know the difference between the browser and the app... *facepalm*

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I'm pretty stunned by the lack of basic knowledge from people with titles higher than mine. I had a principle systems administrator asking me for help, claiming that the application I'm the sysadmin for isn't working on any of the chief executives' mobile devices for something as simple as posting a blog. Name dropping unfortunately means I have to stop all of my other shit. I specifically asked for screenshots, what version of the iPad, what browser was being used, and the browser version. After 2 days of back and forth, turns out this principle systems administrator didn't know the difference between the browser and the app... *facepalm*

Unfortunately, it's not what you know but who you know at times.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Also, titles are super deceiving. Lady I used to work for had the title of "Systems", but this actually meant she was the IT manager.

I feel like we had a whole page or two, a thread or two ago, about this.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Interview number 5 for the new job is set.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I just had a really encouraging phone interview for a place where everyone works 40 hours except the IT staff, for some legacy reason(?) works 37.5 but is still entitled to full benefits, and OT is tracked as comp time to average back down to that 37.5

It would be more money, for a nonprofit, their network seems mostly-current, and it's walking distance from my house

All I want to know is, whose dick do I have to suck

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I just had a really encouraging phone interview for a place where everyone works 40 hours except the IT staff, for some legacy reason(?) works 37.5 but is still entitled to full benefits, and OT is tracked as comp time to average back down to that 37.5

It would be more money, for a nonprofit, their network seems mostly-current, and it's walking distance from my house

I'm pretty sure you're still sleeping.

This is a Twilight Zone episode.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    WHOSE DICK

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    fyre-festival-water-guy.jpg

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

I mean... I don't think it would work as a Twilight Zone episode because it's not a hard choice.

Get it?!?!

Hard choice?!?!

I'll see myself out.

This is both really good and WTF why so many interviews? Jesus, they should just give you the job already. You've spent more time with them than most people spend on dates before they start fuckin'.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

To clarify, this is the 5th interview for the same position?

[Insert religiously based blasphemy of your choice here]

FIVE interviews?!

I get offended when I hear there is a second round.

(Good luck, of course)

edited April 2019

FIVE interviews?!

(Good luck, of course)

Yes. This is the fifth interview for the same position.

I also had to give a project presentation.

Seidkona on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I have a 37.5 hour work week with comp time.

Ha hahahaha haha hahahahahahahahha

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

FIVE interviews?!

(Good luck, of course)

Man this would so be a bridge too far for me. I'd be like, "Okay so it seems intimidating me out of joining your team is the goal here and mission accomplished."

Kudos to you and anyone else with more willpower than me.

FIVE interviews?!

(Good luck, of course)

Man this would so be a bridge too far for me. I'd be like, "Okay so it seems intimidating me out of joining your team is the goal here and mission accomplished."

Kudos to you and anyone else with more willpower than me.

*six months in* guys I'm up for my 12th interview. I've had people reporting to me for weeks now and people are starting to come to me as a point of escalation for infrastructure issues - I really hope I get the job!

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular

This is both really good and WTF why so many interviews? Jesus, they should just give you the job already. You've spent more time with them than most people spend on dates before they start fuckin'.

At my current spot I had 7 interviews. It went something like HR, Supervisor, HR, Director, Manager, AVP, Team Members+Sup+Manager+Director (+job offer)

I got the job and love where I work so am okay with that, but it's the most job interview I've ever done. Each one was easily an hour+ also.

For the record I answer phones currently while doing some Access Management and Desktop shit, so it wasn't even a high ranking position.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular

I had one of those when I lived in Saint Louis. Still miss it. We worked 8.5 hour shifts with an hour lunch and they'd just pay us as if we only took a 45 min lunch. Easily the best place I've ever worked. I miss it still.

I've been asked to write a Powershell script to facilitate quoting the onboarding of VMs into a data center. The VMware guys have their half figured out, and just need something comparable for Hyper-V

One metric they want is total CPU utilization over time, ie:
    w1i73d43gieq.png

This is actually a bit of a bear to get out of Hyper-V, but CPU load % is easy. Would calculating the actual load by multiplying the base speed times the % load give me accurate figures, or is it more complex than that?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »

I had one of those when I lived in Saint Louis. Still miss it. We worked 8.5 hour shifts with an hour lunch and they'd just pay us as if we only took a 45 min lunch. Easily the best place I've ever worked. I miss it still.
    I'm salary now and don't miss being hourly one bit. I was on call 24/7 and my time was tracked down to 15 minute intervals, including if you ever left early, showed up a bit late, or took a slightly longer lunch than expected. On the days when the office shut down (e.g., snow storm), everyone else got the day off and I had to work remotely to ensure systems were locked, phone messages changed, and help whomever decided they wanted to work. All of that was never compted, despite 90% of the office getting a free, paid-for day off.

It was a quasi-public non-profit. Great to start there, but those places have a way of the top slots filling up for life, then that effect trickles down to the next level and next level, where the only way to get promoted was someone either died, retired, or left the agency. Sadly, retirement happened more often than leaving. I did 14 years there and had a title change once, which it was masked as a promotion... it wasn't.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.

I work 45-50 hour weeks. We have a 37.5 hour week on paper but nobody actually works that. It's a complete fiction.

Le_Goat wrote: »

I'm salary now and don't miss being hourly one bit. I was on call 24/7 and my time was tracked down to 15 minute intervals, including if you ever left early, showed up a bit late, or took a slightly longer lunch than expected. On the days when the office shut down (e.g., snow storm), everyone else got the day off and I had to work remotely to ensure systems were locked, phone messages changed, and help whomever decided they wanted to work. All of that was never compted, despite 90% of the office getting a free, paid-for day off.

It was a quasi-public non-profit. Great to start there, but those places have a way of the top slots filling up for life, then that effect trickles down to the next level and next level, where the only way to get promoted was someone either died, retired, or left the agency. Sadly, retirement happened more often than leaving. I did 14 years there and had a title change once, which it was masked as a promotion... it wasn't.

In my experience, the difference between exempt and non-exempt isn't how much OT you work. It's whether you can be honest about it.

When I'm exempt, I can come into the office on Monday and talk about how I was up late Saturday night doing project work

When I'm non-exempt, I have to pretend like that 12 hours of project work I was saddled with last Friday morning just magically got done between 4 and 5 pm.

Hourly, Non-exempt, Union

Almost makes up for all the bullshit of a public institution.

Almost...

I'm beyond frustrated with Windows 10 right now.

Nothing major, just lots of little shit.

We created a custom start menu layout XML but now once in a while for no apparent reason apps just disappear from it. The apps are still present on the computers, they're just gone from the start menu layout

Some of our Windows 10 VMs (no physical workstations) are getting the yellow triangle with "no internet connection" error. Internet works fine, it's cosmetic, but it's going to generate support calls. (We've tried everything we can find on Google to fix it with no luck.)

Calculator disappeared from some of our workstations after a Windows Update.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Calculator disappeared from some of our workstations after a Windows Update.

It's called Microsoft MathMaker™ now, and requires an annual subscription via Office 365.

The store and apps are the worst thing to happen to Windows since Vista, if not the worst. We spend an inordinate amount of time wrangling them in the Enterprise ver of Win10, and that, frankly, is some bullshit.

We've blocked and disabled the Windows Store in a few different ways in our network, which makes restoring Calc a pain.

The store and apps are the worst thing to happen to Windows since Vista, if not the worst. We spend an inordinate amount of time wrangling them in the Enterprise ver of Win10, and that, frankly, is some bullshit.

The number of tickets we get because a user's computer installed the app store version of Office and now refuses to open files is insane

edited April 2019
    Interview 5 is done and it went really well.

I'll have an answer by tomorrow.

Seidkona on

They want to do an interview!

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Ayyy glad to hear! And hopefully may it be free of schlong-sucking in the process!

Ayyy glad to hear! And hopefully may it be free of schlong-sucking in the process!

To be fair, TL DR didn't clarify what happened in the interim between wanting the interview and receiving it.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh good, Jamf is having a "product issue" where you can't bypass activation locks. So when kids put their own gmail account into their school device and turn on find my iPad, then abruptly leave the school forever (for whatever reason) the device is now locked until Jamf fixes it.

My head, the aches.

They are currently putting together a job offer for me.

I got the job!

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

I got the job!

Congrats! That's wonderful news!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I got the job!

Woo!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    They are currently putting together a job offer sixth interview for me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.