As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Notre Dame de Paris burns

2»

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Much easier to walk into a church than to wait for an elevator to take you up a tower.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

From a New York Times reporter. She looks good! Remarkably better than I’d dared hope.

That's not too bad at all! Had I not seen the spire collapse I wouldn't know it was on fire yesterday from looking at it.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Much easier to walk into a church than to wait for an elevator to take you up a tower.

Pretty much. When I was there, it was a 2 hour wait at night for the Tower, but like 15 min to get into ND. Plus ND has the catacombs under it which is a separate line, so more to do overall.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Notre Dame is also a world heritage site, an invaluable piece of mankind's history. Calling it "just a church" is ignorant, to say the least.

The overlap of "invaluable piece of human history" and "related to religion" is extremely large.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Notre Dame is also a world heritage site, an invaluable piece of mankind's history. Calling it "just a church" is ignorant, to say the least.

The overlap of "invaluable piece of human history" and "related to religion" is extremely large.

You can say "just a church" and still be mindful of its positives; ie being a fine example of gothic architecture. Being who I am I tend to lean more towards just the latter in terms of its importance to the world. I was saddened watching the fire but after a day im still on the mindset of pragmatism.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    It's been reported that the three rose windows survived!

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    It's been reported that the three rose windows survived!

I have heard this several times but haven't seen any pictures yet. If that's the case it's awesome.
    There is an imgur gallery of some pictures of the damage but not sure if it's ok to post here.

It looks remarkable given the fires extent and duration.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

A lot of human history and culture is about religion. And World Heritage site has an actual definition, that covers from the Taj Mahal, to the Great Wall, to Machu Picchu. Evidence of our intellectual history on the planet, that are to be preserved for future generations.

Which is why it bothers me when people miss the point just to get cheap snarky digs at Christians. "Oh, is just a church", said the geek who's idea of cultural significance is Star Wars.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

A lot of human history and culture is about religion. And World Heritage site has an actual definition, that covers from the Taj Mahal, to the Great Wall, to Machu Picchu. Evidence of our intellectual history on the planet, that are to be preserved for future generations.

Which is why it bothers me when people miss the point just to get cheap snarky digs at Christians. "Oh, is just a church", said the geek who's idea of cultural significance is Star Wars.

This is fairly reductive. This is primarily a video game forum and people who are large consumers of nerd culture have often times come from abusive homes and used video games and nerd culture as a form of escapism and bonding with people from similar things (not a lot but it's not insignificant either). So it's probably not a snarky dig but something deeply hurtful to them when someone gets upset they're not holding the right feelings towards a building that they probably have strong negative feelings about with that entire culture.

That said, this is still tragic regardless of how any of us personally feels because it is a historic place and has so much more to it than just catholicism.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Doesn't Assassin's Creed Unity have the cathedral in it?

It became something other than a church in the French Revolution.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It very much does.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

One of the first things I did when I got to Paris in Unity was to climb up to where I had taken pictures a few years earlier in real life. I was simultaneously pleased with how close it was and saddened by how far it was from the real thing, if that makes sense.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

One of the first things I did when I got to Paris in Unity was to climb up to where I had taken pictures a few years earlier in real life. I was simultaneously pleased with how close it was and saddened by how far it was from the real thing, if that makes sense.

Well, one good thing that may come out of Unity is that the work that Ubi put in capturing the cathedral could very well help in its restoration.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Pretty much. When I was there, it was a 2 hour wait at night for the Tower, but like 15 min to get into ND. Plus ND has the catacombs under it which is a separate line, so more to do overall.

Plus you can "visit" the Eiffel Tower in a number of ways that wouldn't be reflected in ticket sales/numbers. When we were in Paris we walked up to it, got photos from a few different vantage points, but never really felt the need to ride up to the top. With Notre Dame you're definitely missing out if you don't go inside.

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular

Well, one good thing that may come out of Unity is that the work that Ubi put in capturing the cathedral could very well help in its restoration.

Maybe, but the 2010 laser scans of the interior of the church are probably a better start.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    https://imgur.com/gallery/uTfM1Pt

View from the inside, looks nice, way brighter than when I was there. I say make that sucker open air.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Seeing those windows intact is just amazing.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/gallery/uTfM1Pt

View from the inside, looks nice, way brighter than when I was there. I say make that sucker open air.

Nah, when its enclosed the stained glass becomes the primary light source, and they are amazing. The whole area is awash in the colors of the glass instead of the washed out sunlight. Added to that the warm glow of candlelight, and the artfully crafted weight of the ceiling above you reinforcing the grandeur of the building, I say making it open air would make it brighter, but far, FAR less beautiful.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I'm all for making the cathedral slightly smaller with more handholds

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It makes perfect sense; I did something very similar after a long weekend in London, just around the time that AC Syndicate came out. IMO it's something akin to the uncanny valley effect, where the closer a virtual version of a place comes to the real thing, the more the differences begin to jar.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense; I did something very similar after a long weekend in London, just around the time that AC Syndicate came out. IMO it's something akin to the uncanny valley effect, where the closer a virtual version of a place comes to the real thing, the more the differences begin to jar.

I'm trying to remember where the video was where they drove through London in Syndicate and basically narrated "and there's the pub where we got drinks after work", "and there's the theater we sometimes went to", "and there's the pub where we went to get absolutely smashed" and so on, with a bit of "well, there are a couple more streets, but it is rather uncanny!"

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

From the position of a nonbeliever with something like an adversarial relationship with the whole idea of religion I agree wholeheartedly on the cultural and historical importance of Notre Dame and places like it

But man you're crazy if you don't think Star Wars hasn't already had a massive amount of cultural significance. Admittedly, time alone means it can't match something like Notre Dame, but let's not discount the significance of contemporary artistic and cultural works simply for their relative youth or perceived frivolity. Old works are no less significant for being works of popular comedy, ancient manuscripts no less meaningful for all their art of knights fighting snails.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Things learned from this discussion:
    1. Maybe don't minimize people's religion.
    2. Maybe don't call people geeks/use their fandoms as a pejorative.
    3. The Paris Firefighters are superheroes.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    For any PC gamers here who may not have seen, Ubisoft is donating €500,000 to the restoration fund and giving away Assassin's Creed Unity on Uplay for the next week:
    As the smoke clears on the events that unfolded on Monday at the Notre-Dame de Paris, we stand in solidarité with our fellow Parisians and everyone around the world moved by the devastation the fire caused. Notre-Dame is an integral part of Paris, a city to which we are deeply connected. Seeing the monument in peril like this affected us all.

In light of Monday's events, we will be donating €500,000 to help with the restoration and reconstruction of the Cathedral. We encourage all of you who are interested to donate as well. In addition, we want to give everyone the chance to experience the majesty and beauty of Notre-Dame the best way we know how. For one week, we will be giving Assassin's Creed Unity away free on PC, for anyone who wants to enjoy it. You can download it now for Uplay PC here: http://assassinscreed.com/unity-notredame/

When we created Assassin's Creed Unity, we developed an even closer connection with this incredible city and its landmarks – one of the most notable elements of the game was the extraordinary recreation of Notre-Dame.

Video games can enable us to explore places in ways we never could have otherwise imagined. We hope, with this small gesture, we can provide everyone an opportunity to appreciate our virtual homage to this monumental piece of architecture.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have a mental image (probably flawed) that smoking doesn't have the same stigmas in France that it does in the US.

That said, I assume the roofing materials were somewhat flammable? Or at least the tools were. In either case, prooobably not a good idea to mix smoking and that kind of work.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Not only does smoking not have the same stigma in France, but a waiter in Paris will put an ashtray on your table before they bring you literally anything else.

y59kydgzuja4.png