As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

19495969798100»

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I know Tremere must be pretty pissed to see Thinbloods using Thaum.

wVEsyIc.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Thinblood... Clan?

Thin Bloods have a clan write-up in V5.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh man.

Start as a Thin Blood with a specialization then play like that while meeting other clans then joining one and growing into those powers?

That sounds seriously awesome.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Clearly my first playthrough will be to never ascend into a Major clan yet succeed through scrappy persistence and become Prince and *splat*

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So how does that work? Do you just pick a clan and diablerize some rando from it?

Even if a clan accepted a thinblood or caitiff as an associate and worked with them clans aren’t something in V:TM that you can generally just join up with when it comes to disciplines, clan traits, etc.

If the point is to give you some time to work around vampire society while learning the ins and outs of the clans it would honestly make more sense to start you as a ghoul or something.

Jealous Deva on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know how it's going to work, but I feel pretty confident that however it's handled in-game, it will also work within the established fiction.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Have some bad guy capture a bunch of different kindred from different clans, for some diabolical ritual

The Prince, not wanting to risk sending any of his men, sends you to deal with it, with the promised reward of sanctioned Diablerie of one of his captives if you put him down in order to elevate you to a full-fledged clan

I dunno how you make the politics of that work

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So how does that work? Do you just pick a clan and diablerize some rando from it?

Even if a clan accepted a thinblood or caitiff as an associate and worked with them clans aren’t something in V:TM that you can generally just join up with when it comes to disciplines, clan traits, etc.

If the point is to give you some time to work around vampire society while learning the ins and outs of the clans it would honestly make more sense to start you as a ghoul or something.

It's a vidya game so I'm sure they'll find some one off vidya game-y way to make it work or excuse for it to happen for the sake of fun.

And whatever it is, the idea sounds super fun so go for it I say.

Have some bad guy capture a bunch of different kindred from different clans, for some diabolical ritual

The Prince, not wanting to risk sending any of his men, sends you to deal with it, with the promised reward of sanctioned Diablerie of one of his captives if you put him down in order to elevate you to a full-fledged clan

That would make sense... also would give the prince something to hold over you as he could always blood hunt you if you got out of line...

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Thinblood... Clan?
    Sure, why not? You're too thin blooded to exhibit clan traits, and didn't the thinbloods tend to stick together?

I was FILLED WITH HYPE upon receiving this email, not gonna lie.

So six clans? Thinblood + five others? Anybody else think that the Chiropteran / Mentalism / Nebulation thing is a hint? Feels sort of Gangrel / Tremere / Nosferatu to me.
    The protagonist is a Gargoyle confirmed.

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular

That would make sense... also would give the prince something to hold over you as he could always blood hunt you if you got out of line...

I’m reading through the V5 core rules and my money is on diablerie. The book reinforces that it’s a huge no-no but that those rules can be thrown out in the case of a blood hunt.

I wonder if there will be a "good guy" option where you remain a thin blood.

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

With how fleshed out they are in the rules with their blood alchemy and their flavor revolving around fighting to stay human or giving in to the beast I’d be surprised if staying a thin blood wasn’t a choice.

edited April 2019
    Looking it up there are actually a couple of other way mentioned in the lore to lower generation, but they all either require blood direct from a 3rd or 4th gen or shittons of vampire blood(the assamite ritual).

Or achieving golconda, but good luck on that one.

Jealous Deva on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    How many 3/4 gen are even left? Aren’t they all supposed to be in hiding sending puppets to do their bidding while cackling maniacally ?

edited April 2019
    How many 3/4 gen are even left? Aren’t they all supposed to be in hiding sending puppets to do their bidding while cackling maniacally ?

Iirc Nosferatu, Saulot, and Tzimisce are active right now? There are a few that supposedly died but are strongly hinted to not have, a couple that are probably really dead (ravnos and cappadocius, but there’s still an out for both of them to pop up) and the rest are unknown but probably napping in the middle east or anatolia.

Edit: apparently its a bit up in the air how much of the week of nightmares and other events towards the end of revised happened, as they mentioned Ravnos (the clan) and the true black hand as being active in Beckett’s Jyhad diary and supposedly v5 is using that as its canon base. Personally I hope if they retcon the events its just the to make them a bit less apocalyptic towards those two, because the week of nightmares and the events that follow (sixth maelstrom etc)would be a huge chunk of lore to just boot out of canon. If those events didn’t happen though then the Ravnos antediluvian and Cappadocius would be alive and well (or dead and well in C’s case).

Jealous Deva on
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Third gens pretty much have the "only die if they want too" power. They are too powerful for anything on Earth to take them down unwillingly (Caine excluded).

Of course this can change at anytime so who knows. I believe Ravnos dying was reconned out.

edited April 2019
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Third gens pretty much have the "only die if they want too" power. They are too powerful for anything on Earth to take them down unwillingly (Caine excluded).

Of course this can change at anytime so who knows. I believe Ravnos dying was reconned out.

It wasn’t really retconned in the old stuff, it was just pointed out that if you had immense mastery over illusions, and wanted to make a public appearance to eat most of your clan without drawing retaliation from the few other powers that legit could do something about it (in this case probably the other antes, some higher level mages, the technocracy), summoning a big godzilla illusion of yourself to withstand a ton of damage and eventually get destroyed with a nuclear weapon would be a good way to do that. Ravnos would be significantly stronger, and no one is going to be hunting for him because everyone saw him take a nuke to the face and even the other antes know that isn’t survivable.

In the new stuff its unclear. The red star is mentioned, but Beckett is also running around interacting with Ravnos members do who knows. Could be a cappadocian style “Rumors of our deaths have been greatly exaggerated” thing though, where they were wiped out until a writer wanted to use them again.

Jealous Deva on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What, you can't just ask them?

• RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about thin bloods. I would have preferred a Dragon Age Origins sort of deal. Pick your clan and have a little introduction based on what clan you picked. I'm sure it would have pushed cost too high but it would have been nice. I played the pen and paper ages ago and am not familiar with the newer editions. Did the old edition have thinbloods? I just remember 13th gen being the weaklings who if I remember could not create progeny.

I loved boiling blood as a Tremere but I think someone said they changed the whole Tremere background? I guess on the bright side going into this only knowing the original rules will keep me on my toes on the other hand I'm pretty resistant to change so I may hate the changes. Is there a convenient spot to read about the differences?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about thin bloods. I would have preferred a Dragon Age Origins sort of deal. Pick your clan and have a little introduction based on what clan you picked. I'm sure it would have pushed cost too high but it would have been nice. I played the pen and paper ages ago and am not familiar with the newer editions. Did the old edition have thinbloods? I just remember 13th gen being the weaklings who if I remember could not create progeny.

I loved boiling blood as a Tremere but I think someone said they changed the whole Tremere background? I guess on the bright side going into this only knowing the original rules will keep me on my toes on the other hand I'm pretty resistant to change so I may hate the changes. Is there a convenient spot to read about the differences?

Thinblood I think are 15th generation with some big weakening happening in the 14th as well.

Which always kinda bothered me as it really doesn't work. Vampires have really minimal maturity time before they can "reproduce" as it were. There really isn't any reason why we wouldn't have had such high generation vampires back in the time of Rome. (Yes, yes, fantasy games and logic don't always play nice.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

He probably could, but who's to say they'd answer?

wVEsyIc.png
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »

Thin bloods were a thing then, yeah. You meet some in the original Bloodlines after all. Not sure if they were fully playable like in V5, but they existed.

Tremere can still boil blood. In the Tabletop the big changes to Thaumaturgy (now called Blood Sorcerery, but a lot of Tremere still call it Thaum) is it now has normal powers that can be used anytime and then has more powerful rituals that require more time/resources, but that part will be hard to include in a video game. It also lost it's million different sub-disciplines since Thaumaturgy was this ridiculous Swiss Army knife compared to everything else in the game.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Are thin blooded Malkavians less insane? Cause I remember the one in bloodlines was slightly less coo coo for coco puffs but she still had really precise ( while hiding in nonsense cause Malkavian) insights.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Why would I want to spoil the game for myself

Are thin blooded Malkavians less insane? Cause I remember the one in bloodlines was slightly less coo coo for coco puffs but she still had really precise ( while hiding in nonsense cause Malkavian) insights.

You're either a thin blood or a Malkavian, you can't be both

Probably just had a less defined derangement.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Probably just had a less defined derangement.

She wasn't Malkavian, she just had Insight. I mean, she could have been Sired by a Malk for a double-whammy, but Insight can also jack you up.

Pre-5th Ed. Thin Bloods were essentially any vampires that survived an embrace post-13th Generation. I think it covers both 14th and 15th Generation. They were weakened (blood costs doubled for some usages, couldn't manifest higher Discipline powers above 3/4, etc), but also generally displayed more frequently merits tied to humans/could pass for human better.

More importantly, Thin Bloods had access to Insight which was a spontaneous form of oracular visions as a quirk of the end times and wonky-ness. This let Thin Bloods sometimes randomly acquire/manifest knowledge they had no way of acquiring about the future or vampiric secrets decades long machinations and what not. This is why Helpful-Thin-Blood-Girl on the beach in Santa Monica can basically tell you the future and reveal plot details in a cryptic fashion.

It kinda overlaps the idea of Malkavians spontaneously knowing shit, but Insight was more meant to be flavored alongside end-times/Gehenna style revelations of ancient prophecies coming to pass as delivered by the weakest and most vulnerable Kindred possible as a neat juxtaposition. In some ways, it overlapped why some Princes vehemently hunted Thin-Bloods - not only do they portend Gehenna, they may actually also just have random, profoundly useful/detrimental knowledge that couldn't easily be controlled.

I'm guessing 5th Ed. Thin Bloods won't have anything like that, because in a non-Gehenna world it would lose the flavor. And it also meant you could potentially have Thin Bloods that were more potent than standard Vampires (knowledge is power, after all), which seems like a direction they may not want to take.

ok new thread time make new thread

geth close the thread

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.