As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Man this is getting massively review bombed on Steam over the Krypt.

Can't really call it being "review bombed" when people are objecting to a really shitty sales scam that should've been outlawed years ago.

That’s exactly what review bombing is. Large scale negative reviews to call attention to something and/or harm sales.

It's... a really fucking awful piece of design? Which impacts the perceived quality of the game?

If the soundtrack was a broken static-filled mess, it wouldn't be "review bombing" to say the game is bad because the soundtrack doesn't work. This isn't people being pissy over the game having female fighters or something, this is a straight legit thing for people to be mad about and review badly.

Exactly. People don’t like the krypt, and are mass negative reviewing it solely because of it. That’s review bombing. Review bombing can be for legitimate reasons - it’s purely mass negative reviews to highlight something.

I never said they were wrong or that the Krypt was well implemented.

-Loki- on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The internet? Being dramatic over something pretty small? Idk doesn't sound right

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Krypt stuff doesn't bother me too much because it's mostly cosmetics and there's no "pay to win" type bullshit.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know folks say its mostly cosmetics so its okay if the system is bad and like I don't get that.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Kitana does not feel like Kitana. Unless I am doing something very wrong, I cannot find a way to use her fans to extend combos, even in the corner. Their recovery is just too long.

:(

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    In non Krypt news. Up to Chapter 7 now, and it's still fucking awesome. Chapter 6 features two of my now favorite MK bits of all time:
    Johnny killing a plane by blowing up a tank. And Bullet Time nut punch on Kano.

Also tried out some ranked matches and winning a online match with Mime Time felt so good.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Bahaha bit of a Frozen Frost meme in the game apparently.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    What I find frustrating is that while these kind of loot box systems are universally loathed and loudly panned, they must make enough money to be worth the PR hit. Or at least there’s a corporate kind of tendency to like “predicted profits” models where they can garuantee certain amounts of sales of a digital product (currency)

Im torn, cos I think it is predatory, but it’s also annoying that people buy enough of these currencies to prop such an obviously shitty system up. I tend to look at microtransactions as a product, rather than gambling, although it changes from game to game, and I can see arguments from both sides. But just as a product I’m personally always amazed and dismayed that it sells so well

Prohass on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What I find frustrating is that while these kind of loot box systems are universally loathed and loudly panned, they must make enough money to be worth the PR hit. Or at least there’s a corporate kind of tendency to like “predicted profits” models where they can garuantee certain amounts of sales of a digital product (currency)

Im torn, cos I think it is predatory, but it’s also annoying that people buy enough of these currencies to prop such an obviously shitty system up. I tend to look at microtransactions as a product, rather than gambling, although it changes from game to game, and I can see arguments from both sides. But just as a product I’m personally always amazed and dismayed that it sells so well

Yeup, and the fact that apparently as long as the systems attract a certain percentage of whales, they make the money anyway. I'm still horrified from that interview a dev from the Mass Effect 3 team recounted to Kotaku when it was revealed about the live service/multi plans for Dragon Age inquisition and the then current plans for Anthem and how basically Mass Effect 3's multiplayer packs were making so much money they pretty much had to shove that system in everything from now. Like individual people were spending 10K+ plus on fucking ME3 loot crates!

edit: found the article

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-manveer-heir-bioware-mass-effect-ea-monetisation

Fuck...apparently it was 15K+ on loot crates. Fucking hell.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    $15k on a game.

Just mind boggling.

I think people are freaking out a bit too much. There's towers you can unlock that give you loot for specific characters, 25k coins each. It's a bitch to beat them but it's guaranteed loot for the guys you want, at any time. You can just focus on one character doing their tower until you have what you want/ everything for a given character. If you just do the Krypt randomly yeah, it'll take some time. But it's not even a shade of how bad IJ2 was.

I’ve also seen complaints that they snuck Frost in as a day 1 DLC character. However, that’s just an early unlock, she unlocks by playing the story.

Unfortunately I don’t think the Steam page for her actually says that.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Frankly considering you can unlock Frost in about 15 minutes by just setting the difficulty to the lowest setting and skipping through every cutscene in the story, offering her for purchase at all just seems like it's attempting to trick people who don't know that she's available in other ways.

liEt3nH.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I played way too long last night and got a splitting headache, but s'alright, Mortal Kombat!. Agree with what everyone here said, though. The economy is all sorts of fucked. I've accrued probably 500k ish in coins at the moment, but still have like 2/30 for most things for my main, Shao Kahn. Granted, I haven't spent 260k of it, but still.

Allegedly the towers got much easier at some point last night. After I got through the Johnny Cage one, I'm sure, but still, it's something. Unsure if the actual economy will require a real patch, but there's that.

I refuse to spend money on time krystals, but I *did* download the app and will link it to my account tonight :(.

One thing that would help me get more items is if people f'ng attack me. Attack my AI team! Please! I needs zee loots.

As to the actual fighting parts, the parts that should be priority....I don't think Shao Kahn's very good, but he's fun when he gets rolling. I still dunno if I'll actually stick with him. Might try Geras.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I think people are freaking out a bit too much. There's towers you can unlock that give you loot for specific characters, 25k coins each. It's a bitch to beat them but it's guaranteed loot for the guys you want, at any time. You can just focus on one character doing their tower until you have what you want/ everything for a given character. If you just do the Krypt randomly yeah, it'll take some time. But it's not even a shade of how bad IJ2 was.

I appreciate that info. I am mostly bothered by the idea of not knowing what I'm getting... I don't mind working for flair but I hate the idea of having to hope to find it or get it out of a box, no matter how I earn that box. so if I can grind directly for certain characters that's good for me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Gone are the days when you can get in-game currency and go directly to some kind of in-game shop and straight buy the cosmetic you want. At best now, games that have something like that will have the shop's wares randomize from day to day, or each time the game boots up, or changes up every mission.

But you want a full list of everything you can buy and cherry pick what you want? Never going to happen.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Gone are the days when you can get in-game currency and go directly to some kind of in-game shop and straight buy the cosmetic you want. At best now, games that have something like that will have the shop's wares randomize from day to day, or each time the game boots up, or changes up every mission.

But you want a full list of everything you can buy and cherry pick what you want? Never going to happen.

Well, gone too are the days that paying $50us for a AAA game will actually cover the cost of making it unless you sell millions of copies. Companies are chasing other revenue streams because they're companies and want money, yes, but development costs go up every generation as games get more complicated, but the price we pay for AAA games hasn't budged for a long while.

I don't agree with loot boxes at all, but I do accept the days of yore a long gone if we want game prices to stay where they are.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    NRS said on their last live stream that things like currency values and rewards can be adjusted by them on the fly and do not require a patch, and that they are listening to community feedback. I think a lot of this could be alleviated if they cranked up the koin payouts for winning fights, etc. And derandomize the krypt.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    NRS said on their last live stream that things like currency values and rewards can be adjusted by them on the fly and do not require a patch, and that they are listening to community feedback. I think a lot of this could be alleviated if they cranked up the koin payouts for winning fights, etc. And derandomize the krypt.
    As long as it's not for casual / ranked matches. I want more for them, too, but I don't want people just afk'ng them.
    I know you need to actually fight to get some of the things (like hearts from brutalities / fatalities etc), but still.

Speaking of, before I went to sleep last night, I noticed my Brutalities were now giving 2 hearts in online matches?

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...It kind of annoys me how much stuff it locked behind random drops.

Like if I want a specific costume I have to hope I get lucky and there are like a 25 characters all with a ton of unlocks. So if a character has a costume I like who knows when I'll actually get the damn thing.

Like damn I miss the days when you know could just unlock specific shit without having to roll a die.

I really think their random drops should be specific to whatever character you last played.

They did weight drops towards whatever character you were playing in IJ2, but that game gave you dupes of everything. In this game, there's a finite amount of stuff for each character. So if you focus on doing their character tower and really want a shader or armor piece, you can chase it and you will eventually get it. The game is designed to keep you engaged for the long term, if you could play for a handful of hours and get everything, people would complain their wasn't enough loot to chase

Idk I suppose I've encountered worse design, and I don't feel compelled to spend any real world dollars on Koins.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Friends, do you know what sets Kano apart from other cybernetic Australians in fighting games?

A power-up move called "Vege-Mighty", which is.... pretty much the most spectacularly bad pun I have ever heard.

I must've played like 10 hours yesterday (some of it in Krypt, so not constant fighting) and fought only one Kano. The fact that his spin / charge move beats Shao Kahn's shoulder is....upsetting.

Kano's command grab is pretty great too

I'm having a lot of fun with Kabal at the moment. I expected to love Noob but Kabal is just so tasty.

edited April 2019
    Kano's command grab is pretty great too

I'm having a lot of fun with Kabal at the moment. I expected to love Noob but Kabal is just so tasty.
    Yes, it is. I did not win the majority of matches against the Kano. Granted, he was pretty good, but it was one of two fights yesterday that made me go "Man, Shao Kahn is probably not great."

Bizazedo on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sketor's flame jet is some.hot bullshit. The standard version gives like 2-3 frames to recover before he can follow up. I got.roasted by 6 in a row by the AI in story mode on Hard

If its as bad online I'll be hating soooooo many Sektors.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Sketor's flame jet is some.hot bullshit. The standard version gives like 2-3 frames to recover before he can follow up. I got.roasted by 6 in a row by the AI in story mode on Hard

If its as bad online I'll be hating soooooo many Sektors.

Sektor isn’t playable.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    The most frustrating thing for me is having to "build" loadout slots if you want to practice the ranked variants. It's a minor inconvenience, but I kinda feel like they should be the default.

Maybe that's just me, though.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hey guys, Ive been trying to find any information about what modes are not available without PSN

Since the Krypt and Towers require an internet connection, can anyone tell me if I can access them without a PSN membership?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    You should be able too, yeah. Your machine still connects to the internet, you just can't play multiplayer is basically how PSN works and the point of those online connections is just to make sure you aren't cheating the in-game economy since that's a thing.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Well, gone too are the days that paying $50us for a AAA game will actually cover the cost of making it unless you sell millions of copies. Companies are chasing other revenue streams because they're companies and want money, yes, but development costs go up every generation as games get more complicated, but the price we pay for AAA games hasn't budged for a long while.

I don't agree with loot boxes at all, but I do accept the days of yore a long gone if we want game prices to stay where they are.

That's just bullshit corporations want you to think so they can continue paying their exec's tens of millions of dollars while continually overworking and otherwise dicking around their employees in the pursuit of unrealistic growth to feed their investors.

That's just bullshit corporations want you to think so they can continue paying their exec's tens of millions of dollars while continually overworking and otherwise dicking around their employees in the pursuit of unrealistic growth to feed their investors.

Didn't realize you were the mouthpiece for the industry. I'm sure the NRS guys do well enough. And games really are expensive. Hundreds of people work on these titles. Not saying corporate greed is a myth, but in this specific scenario I think people are blowing things out of proportion.

Instead of getting mad at video game companies monetizing their games, maybe get mad at the people who keep buying micro trans and driving profit in that area. Because if it wasn't profitable to do so, they wouldn't offer it. The old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted."

I'm in no rush to unlock everything, so whining about the grind feels weird to me. The game literally just dropped and everyone is freaking out they can't immediately get everything. I bought the game to enjoy it, not sprint to the end.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Instead of getting mad at video game companies monetizing their games, maybe get mad at the people who keep buying micro trans and driving profit in that area. Because if it wasn't profitable to do so, they wouldn't offer it. The old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted."

I'm in no rush to unlock everything, so whining about the grind feels weird to me. The game literally just dropped and everyone is freaking out they can't immediately get everything. I bought the game to enjoy it, not sprint to the end.

I do feel like they are willing to tweak it, too. Unless it's just PR babble, it sounds as though they want this MK to have a longer lifecycle than the last two games. With that change up in mind, they just need to find the sweet spot where die-hards will have fun things to chase for a few years while also appeasing the casuals with neat stuff they can get during their shorter play sessions.

They'll probably have to go through a few iterations, but they'll get there.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder about loot as a concept that got really out of control. Not really a Mortal Kombat discussion I suppose-but something that’s invaded the ecology of gameplay systems in hopes of making a ‘deeper experience’ and extending playtime and monetary incentives. Obviously an ongoing conversation that’s going to continue tor years to come.

I love the RPG style of loot and bonuses for gear and such for AI Fighters. I love defending / attacking with them and putting them into the towers to see how they do. I think it's a great idea. Granted, the current glacial pace of drops is somewhat annoying, but the concept I like a lot. It just takes too long to get the items right now.

Which brings up a dumb question....default casual matches are not set to competitive. Do the gear bonuses kick in there or is it just the different skill choices than the "tournament approved"?

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    There are no gear bonuses in multiplayer, casual matches just let you use whatever combination of abilities you want.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder about loot as a concept that got really out of control. Not really a Mortal Kombat discussion I suppose-but something that’s invaded the ecology of gameplay systems in hopes of making a ‘deeper experience’ and extending playtime and monetary incentives. Obviously an ongoing conversation that’s going to continue tor years to come.

The success of World of Warcraft had a gargantuan rippling effect on the industry that is still being felt.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Didn't realize you were the mouthpiece for the industry. I'm sure the NRS guys do well enough. And games really are expensive. Hundreds of people work on these titles. Not saying corporate greed is a myth, but in this specific scenario I think people are blowing things out of proportion.

While I cant speak for Warner Bros directly, we literally witnessed Activision hiring a new exec for 30+ million dollars, then like two months later posted RECORD revenue on the same day they decided to fire 800 people because that record revenue wasn't record enough to match the the ludicrous growth projections expected of them by investors. (Partially fueled by microtransactions, by the by)

And on top of that, they basically pay no taxes.

We've seen EA talk out of both sides of their mouth, saying how much it needs microtransactions, but also telling investors that removing them from Battlefront 2 won't affect the bottom line.

And these are just the things these companies have revealed publically. Meanwhile, I have never once seen an actual breakdown of how much a game from a big publisher costs and where that money is going. Why am I supposed to give these people the benefit of the doubt, exactly, that they absolutely 100% need microtransactions otherwise they just can't under any circumstances make the game? Especially when all evidence points towards investors chasing unrealistic growth.

Also, it's interesting that you mention "Unless they sell millions of copies" given how frequently they add microtransactions to the games that pretty much guarrenteed to sell millions of copies. And frequently are done ON top of season passes, collector's editions and marketing deals. Seriously, this is the sequel to the best selling Mortal Kombat game of all time; if it doesn't sell millions of copies, then something is very wrong.

Given loot boxes have been linked to gambling tendancies (and have outright been banned in places because of it.) I'm 100% not comfortable with putting the blame primarily on consumers. Especially since they wouldn't be able to feed this machine if the games didn't have loot boxes to begin with.

Like, even using the phrase "a fool and their money" has some problematic implications to me. It feels like your saying because someone has difficulty controlling thier spending, they deserve to be taken advantage of? At least so much that when they are taken advantage of, you're suggesting I get mad at them rather than the people who took advantage of them?

Undead Scottsman on
    We've seen EA talk out if its ass, saying how much it needs microtransactions, but also telling investors that removing them from Battlefront 2 won't affect the bottom line.
    I agree with most of what you said....however, I can't with the above. I'd argue that the above line is the lie, not the truth. They were trying to calm shareholders.