As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Related to Doc's 'painting with oil-based paint' question... At one time one of my cats believed the world to be her litter box and used my walk-in closet for that purpose more than a few times. I finally have ripped up the gross-tastic carpet and padding. I'm undecided on what I'm going to do in there (new carpet or using it as a test-bed to learn how to install laminate floor boards) but I know I need to cover and seal the gross-ness of the sub-floor. To that end I bought a can of oil-based Killz.

My question is: before I paint it, do I need to do anything to the sub-floor for proper adhesion?

PAINTING THE ENTIRE FLOORS!?

~1000 yard stare~

Nah, just like 10 square feet where the cat pee soaked through.

For reasons I don't have time to fully explain... ~esoteric screaming~
    and also... ~incalculable frustration~

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    now enc

do you mean the walls of the entire floor or the actual floors

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Related to Doc's 'painting with oil-based paint' question... At one time one of my cats believed the world to be her litter box and used my walk-in closet for that purpose more than a few times. I finally have ripped up the gross-tastic carpet and padding. I'm undecided on what I'm going to do in there (new carpet or using it as a test-bed to learn how to install laminate floor boards) but I know I need to cover and seal the gross-ness of the sub-floor. To that end I bought a can of oil-based Killz.

My question is: before I paint it, do I need to do anything to the sub-floor for proper adhesion?

PAINTING THE ENTIRE FLOORS!?

~1000 yard stare~

Nah, just like 10 square feet where the cat pee soaked through.

For reasons I don't have time to fully explain... ~esoteric screaming~
    and also... ~incalculable frustration~

*squint*
    This is going on the plywood that will be under the floor, not the visible floor...
    Like, the spot way the fuck up in my inordinately tall bathroom that's a slightly different color because they used the wrong paint fixing something when I moved in 10 years ago still bothers me but I can't think of a way to repaint the whole room because it's like 15 feet tall but having some paint on a small part of the wood under the floor I don't think is ever going to bug me.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    now enc

do you mean the walls of the entire floor or the actual floors

The cats probably didn't pee on the walls, so I think he meant the floors

yeah I know

enc has a trigger because SE++ misunderstood him the other day when he said paint the floors

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I've had the misfortune of working for my dad's interior decorating company when I was in college. I have seen the bottoms of more carpet than I'd like and I can guarantee you that if you have a cat it has pissed everywhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I've had the misfortune of working for my dad's interior decorating company when I was in college. I have seen the bottoms of more carpet than I'd like and I can guarantee you that if you have a cat it has pissed everywhere.

Also fucking sand everywhere. How does it get through the carpet? Where does it come from? I don't understand. But every carpet I have ever pulled up has it.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    We lived in an apartment once that the landlord had to recarpet after we moved into because the stench from the prior tenant's cat became so bad. He insisted on trying to clean the carpet about 3X first, which only made it worse as anyone who's ever gotten old cat pee wet again can attest.

The cat had used one corner of the dining room as it's 'spot', for what must've been years. Carpet, underlayment, and hardwood parquet (!!) underneath were completely permeated with cat piss. Carpet installers wound up putting a vapor barrier in over the area before laying the new pad/carpet; there was simply no way to 'clean' it out of the old wood.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Welp there's an update, in the continuing epic of Simpsonia tries to find a place to live. After going under contract on a two-flat in February and bailing after a disasterous inspection, I've gone of showings and open houses literally every weekend since. I've seen probably two dozen two-flats, and put in offers on 5 of them places, and lost them all. I just got the call that the bid on #6 was accepted and I should be getting the contract tomorrow. Inspection scheduled for Monday, and I hope it goes well, because my lease is up at the end of May and we need to close by May 30th, or I need to find somewhere else to live (my current apt won't do).

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Okay, not going to throw in all the other variables in there - if you had to put a price on lifetime warranty for a compressor vs 10 year, for an HVAC, what would you put it at?

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The lifetime on the compressor won't pay for if you develop a coolant leak or a fan motor or a controller dies. Just like a car, it's specifically for that piece of hardware; which rarely breaks.

ACs usually slowly lose efficiency or develop a leak in the coolant at their end of life (if the coolant leak isn't caught, this can kill a compressor, but I'd bet many dollars they don't cover the compressor in that case)

And re: 10 yr warranty on everything -- most HVAC is fine for the first 10 years. So in either case you're paying insurance for essentially the same thing.

Mugsley on
    But as for price, I'd ballpark it at 5% of equipment value, off the top of my head.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The lifetime on the compressor won't pay for if you develop a coolant leak or a fan motor or a controller dies. Just like a car, it's specifically for that piece of hardware; which rarely breaks.

ACs usually slowly lose efficiency or develop a leak in the coolant at their end of life (if the coolant leak isn't caught, this can kill a compressor, but I'd bet many dollars they do t cover the compressor in that case)

And re: 10 yr warranty on everything -- most HVAC is fine for the first 10 years. So in either case you're paying insurance for essentially the same thing.

Basically, air conditioners, like most other mechanical components, follows the bathtub curve - it's either going to fail bad early on, or it's more than likely going to work for duration of its service life.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Yeah, thanks. That's about where I was too, but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

I got four quotes, was able to narrow it to two pretty easily, and it's weighing options between the last two. :)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I have some stinky paint for my bathroom, is oil based house paint a thing?

What do I need to know about cleaning my shit off when I'm done?

there are oil based interior paints

they are durable as heck

but they are a pain to paint with, which is why people usually pick latex

okay so like, I'm going to roll it on which is fine, but how do I clean the pan since I can't just like wash it out with a hose.

turpentine I think?

Yep, or white spirits.

Honestly, unless you're buying the super premium paintbrushes and roller mops, if you're painting with oil-based paints you're often better off just binning the brushes and mops when you're done rather than trying to get them clean enough that they won;t be permanently fucked the next time you try to use them after cleaning, drying, and storing them.

Or go with water-based paints and re-use the same cheap brushes and mops for three or four decades because they're so easy to clean.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Looks like the drain pipe in front of our basement door is definitely broken, based on all the water in my basement.

Yaaaaaayyyyyyyy.

I tied up a couple tarps in the middle of the storm to block off the area from rain and now get to figure out if ripping up the pipe or extending our deck to cover the area is more expensive.

Yaaaaaayyyyyyyy.

Put those damn raccoons to work!

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Finished signing my life away and we now own a house!

Turns out we need to get a fridge and washer / dryer (we were hoping they would leave theirs, but don't mind picking out our own). Brands to look at or avoid?

Tomanta wrote: »

Turns out we need to get a fridge and washer / dryer (we were hoping they would leave theirs, but don't mind picking out our own). Brands to look at or avoid?

Personal anecdote, but avoid samsung fridges.

They don't have a long enough little metal prong to keep the drain pipe clear, so it's very common to get ice build-up (we have that problem). It's not SUPER hard to fix, it's just annoying as hell, and seems to be getting more frequent. :/ I haven't had to do it with the freezer yet, but I have a feeling that's coming soon.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Samsung appliances have reliability issues in general. Kitchenaid on the other hand make fan-fucking-tastic appliances. Reliable for many years to come. They don't come cheap but are at the top end of the quality spectrum.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I love my LG washer and dryer.

96058.png?1619393207
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

They took them? Were they listed in the MLS listing or contract? I mean, it may be for the best, but if you should have got them then maybe can get some money for a new set.

MichaelLC wrote: »

They took them? Were they listed in the MLS listing or contract? I mean, it may be for the best, but if you should have got them then maybe can get some money for a new set.

The contract and MLS didn't specify. I thought about asking but didn't care too much.

There should be memorial day weekend sales if you can wait.

Avoid Samsung despite all their odd bells and whistles

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    I love my LG washer and dryer.

Can confirm on LG washers

We also have an Anama dishwasher, and brand that I've never heard of but has been great.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    My inlaws’ LG washer and dryer performed perfectly for 10+ years.

Our house came with a Whirlpool washer & dryer; not sure how old they are but been here 6 months doing a daily load of laundry and I’ve been impressed so far. I’ll have to look up the model to see how old they are!

Edit: Looked them up, washer is 2016 and dryer is 2004.

Janson on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

The contract and MLS didn't specify. I thought about asking but didn't care too much.

As long as they didn't take the toilets, that's fine. We have Samsung everything in the kitchen and all been fine for 2.5 years now aside from fridge ice machine crapping out. It was covered under the home warranty the sellers bought.

Another 'me too' on the LG washer & dryers.

No, they left the toilets :). And two TVs, even though those were specified that they were taking them.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Usually the major appliances like the fridge/stove/washing machine are dealt with up front in the negotiations. We got into a little haggling with our house over them. They wanted to take the washing machine, we wanted it, and obviously we offered a bit more and got it.

What most people tend to forget to deal with though are those funny fabrics that hang over the windows. AKA the curtains. When selling our house, the buyer's offer stipulated wanting them, and we agreed. When we bought though, we completely forgot about them, but we were honestly considering replacing them anyways. We got a little surprise shock the day we got the keys though and found they left the curtains, and in fact our real estate agent specifically told us she asked for them included. So that was nice of her.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m told leaving curtains/window treatments is very common because of nosy neighbors peeping in to gawk at the new folks moving in

Our sellers left some unexpected things. Nothing we wanted to complain about (one display cabinet the fiance immediately wanted to repaint and use). We found out from the title agent that they had been up very late the night before finishing up moving.

Today we have several roofers coming out to give estimates on that and get to clean and prepare to paint one room.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Our sellers left us a 70” tv mounted on the brick wall above the fireplace

Great at the time, but it’s about to die and they left it to hide all the bricks they removed to mount it in the first place. /sigh

Ours mostly just left like "here's a can of every color of paint used. Here's some fertilizer". That sort of appreciated stuff. And some like...pokers for the fireplace, and some fake plants we left up for to laziness.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ours also left a can of every paint... so when I peeled off some paint in the living room trying to take down some lights, I thought, never mind! I can paint it so it doesn’t look as bad.

...the living room color was the only paint can that had dried out. Of course!

Yeah, but you can take the can to home Depot or Lowe's and they can mix a new batch with the identical color.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, but you can take the can to home Depot or Lowe's and they can mix a new batch with the identical color.

"Identical"

It's usually pretty close, though.

Make sure to really tap down the lids with a rubber mallet and then store them upside-down, it'll keep air from seeping in.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I must've hit some kind of Samsung jackpot, because we've had a Samsung washer and dryer for about 8 years, a Samsung stove for about 5 and Samsung fridge for about 3 and not a single problem with any of them. We had a Samsung TV too until we went up in size. Our Bosch dishwasher on the other hand, stopped opening the soap door a couple months out of warranty, stopped dispensing Jet Dry completely, and no longer really dries the dishes once the cycle is done. Our LG TV started having contrast issues after about 4 years.

nibXTE7.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Bosch has two tiers of appliances. The high end are pretty decent appliances, but the low end ones might as well be in the dumpster already.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I’m told leaving curtains/window treatments is very common because of nosy neighbors peeping in to gawk at the new folks moving in

Plus half the curtains won't even fit on your new windows, because they were sized differently. (My last place had mostly horizontal windows, my new place has mostly vertical.)

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Bosch has two tiers of appliances. The high end are pretty decent appliances, but the low end ones might as well be in the dumpster already.

It was seven hundred dollars.

nibXTE7.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It was seven hundred dollars.

Throw it in the dumpster already.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.