As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hmm, the Clan mech sale includes 2 of the 3 mechs I want to get to round out my Clan mech list (Adder and Nova, last one is the Scorch).

Too bad the sale that was supposed to start almost 4 hours ago hasn't actually started yet :\

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Playing as clanners would suck because

1) you're playing as clanners
    2) you entirely remove any even remotely useful salvage from the game

which are both bad things.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    As an alternate game mode it could work.

With the Clan as the opposition in a campaign could also work. Run it like the Shivan campaign in Freespace where you're fighting as hard as you can to lose a little bit more slowly.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    They've also updated a little info for the third DLC.

Called "Heavy Metal", releasing winter 2019

"The third BATTLETECH expansion features a host of new BattleMechs, including several that have been unseen for decades and perhaps a surprise or two…"

I was thinking that was their way to say that all of the Unseen from the Robotech lawsuit will all be back in that DLC.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

"The third BATTLETECH expansion features a host of new BattleMechs, including several that have been unseen for decades and perhaps a surprise or two…"

IMP CONFIRMED!

nonoffensive on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I was thinking that was their way to say that all of the Unseen from the Robotech lawsuit will all be back in that DLC.

Right, but I doubt it'll be all of them. Though the Marauder, Warhammer, Archer, and Rifleman are all "Heavy" mechs, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Did that lawsuit finally get resolved?

Garthor wrote: »

I think it would kind of play like a mirror of the Mechwarrior 3 campaign. You start off with all the equipment in the world you could possibly want, but as you extend into IS space, supply lines get strained, consumables and replacement parts get rarer and rarer.

So you'd start off as an untested detachment without access to the best toys because you're nobody. Earn honor and access to all the awesome Clan toys. Then things get tough and you can't afford to use your best stuff because you'll need to save it for the fights that really matter.

So Act 2 would be like the end of the Battletech campaign. You're dropping 4 Atlases every fight just because. You've pimped your lineup out to the max. Everyone starts complaining there's no real need to use lighter mechs anymore, but things aren't over yet.

Then Act 3 hits. It's the finally stretch to Tukayyid. One drop you find out you just don't have enough UAC20 ammo to run your favorite mech anymore. You can't replace an arm, so you start going through those omnipods that were gather dust in the back. Your only real resupplies are, as other teams give up and go home, you take their stuff to keep fighting.

It takes story to set up that mindset, that you aren't in the toybox anymore, and need to start conserving your resources, but an RPG seems like the perfect kind of place for that. You'll be undertonned most of the time anyway because I really feel like making Clan tech just straight up better is fine, if there are other mechanics at play that balance it out. MWO has no supply limits, no repair times, no reload costs for ammo. Clan tech being straight up better on paper is a huge problem because the game really has only that one dimension: combat performance. The Clans lost because as awesome as their toys were, their supply lines couldn't keep up. They were winning the battles, but losing the war.

A Clan campaign all about going from untested fighter to honored warrior to finally a grizzled veteran is the kinda thing I want to play.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The Clans as they are now have a really great kernel of a concept, the exiled army returning after political reforms, but they're laden down with way too much 80's era camp. It would be nice to see them set aside those shackles and retcon out the less useful Clan features in a future game.

No idea how likely or possible that is, though.

Orca wrote: »
    Did that lawsuit finally get resolved?

Yep, they came to a settlement. Basically it sounded like HPG and PGI are allowed to use the versions that HG tried to block.

oosik_betsuni.png
    March 2021 is going to be interesting
    That’s when Harmony Gold’s license expires

Tynnan wrote: »
    The Clans as they are now have a really great kernel of a concept, the exiled army returning after political reforms, but they're laden down with way too much 80's era camp. It would be nice to see them set aside those shackles and retcon out the less useful Clan features in a future game.

No idea how likely or possible that is, though.

80's camp is a national treasure. Return of the Jedi is best OT Star Wars, fight me.

There's tons of nuance you can inject without making the Clans Saturday morning cartoon villains or changing them a ton.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    In other news I cranked out all the Solaris 1v1 reward this weekend.

I really enjoy the mode and really wish PGI could find a balance between 180s countdown and 30s.

Something like Faction Warfare where the timer is set to 300s when only one person is in the queue and it drops to 30s as soon as there are 2 or more people in it.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Right, but I doubt it'll be all of them. Though the Marauder, Warhammer, Archer, and Rifleman are all "Heavy" mechs, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Just give me the core designs:

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie
    Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

Hell, I'll be happy with even half that list...as long as there's at least a Phoenix Hawk in there

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie
    Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

Hell, I'll be happy with even half that list...as long as there's at least a Phoenix Hawk in there

For the Crusader with leg mounted weapons, I wonder if they will have a aim penalty since you can't torso twist your legs for fine aiming while moving.

Or if they move the hard points to the torso to avoid that.

steam_sig.png

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie
    Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

If you want, you can get models for all those but the Valkyrie and Crusader right now as mods. And if you can get by with those two mechs with those same names and loadouts but using a preexisting, different model (appearing in-game as a Commando for example), you can get those two as mods too.

Now modded units do have various issues with mechbay display, weapon placement, sizing/scaling, damage modeling, and texturing that an HBS-made unit wouldn't, but if you can't wait for the DLC, you don't have to.

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie
    Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

If you want, you can get models for all those but the Valkyrie and Crusader right now as mods. And if you can get by with those two mechs with those same names and loadouts but using a preexisting, different model (appearing in-game as a Commando for example), you can get those two as mods too.

Now modded units do have various issues with mechbay display, weapon placement, sizing/scaling, damage modeling, and texturing that an HBS-made unit wouldn't, but if you can't wait for the DLC, you don't have to.

As a general rule, I don't run mods. I tried out one back when I was playing Skyrim (a mod that added Mass Effect biotic abilities)...was sorely disappointed with it and went back to not modding my games. Games are plenty fun sans-mods (for me, at least) anyways.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie

Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

I would give PGI a boat load of money if these three got made.
    Nobody wrote: »

I'm planning on the worst that somehow HG gets another license.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2019

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie

Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

I get the impression that HG, in winning their last lawsuit with the Japanese rights holders, lost the war.

EDIT: holy crap that was bad phone posting, fixed

Nobody on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Two New BattleMechs
    The experimental Raven 1X sports an advanced electronic warfare package that combines ECM and Active Probe systems into a lightweight component. The Javelin is a compromise between speed and firepower, with close-range knockout power.

Heh, the Raven 1X is the one with a standard 175, so it's a 5/8 light mech. It has paper armor and it's only claim to fame is that it had ALL of the ECM/ECCM equipment; ECM, TAG, BAP, and NARC.

The choice of lights is interesting, as you so quickly out level running them.

For the Crusader with leg mounted weapons, I wonder if they will have a aim penalty since you can't torso twist your legs for fine aiming while moving.

Certainly a chance if PGI/HBS ever creates a new model for it they would just move them up to the lower side torsos. For the Crusader at least, the SRM's are already on the hips, so visually it wouldn't make that much difference. Though from technical standpoint, there's no reason they can't put hardpoints in the legs. A to-hit penalty would be far easier to implement than firing arc restrictions that leg weapons are supposed to have. And they already removed the more complicated firing arc rules of TT, so I don't think they'd go backwards there.

Certainly a chance if PGI/HBS ever creates a new model for it they would just move them up to the lower side torsos. For the Crusader at least, the SRM's are already on the hips, so visually it wouldn't make that much difference. Though from technical standpoint, there's no reason they can't put hardpoints in the legs. A to-hit penalty would be far easier to implement than firing arc restrictions that leg weapons are supposed to have. And they already removed the more complicated firing arc rules of TT, so I don't think they'd go backwards there.

I seem to remember the launchers being on the calf / ankle of my model not the hips. But maybe i’m just remembering some novel cover / schematic instead.

steam_sig.png

Wasp
    Stinger
    Valkyrie

Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Crusader
    Warhammer
    Archer
    Marauder

I get the impression that HG I’m winning their last lawsuit with the Japanese rights holders they lost the war.

Oh I do too, just planning on the worst since it seems to be a trend in my life lately.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If you're playing MWO I'd recommend that you check out the future events schedule, because they're doing a MW5 countdown event with a bunch of easy-to-complete missions that can net you 500mc, 4 million c-bills, 3 days of premium time, 2x2500GXP, 1 mech bay and some letter decals.
    https://mwomercs.com/events/

P.S: Bonus points if you're read this to the tune of Twelve days of christmas.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

I seem to remember the launchers being on the calf / ankle of my model not the hips. But maybe i’m just remembering some novel cover / schematic instead.

There's boxes that stick out the side of the lower legs that covered a couple of the many, many missile packs on the Macross VF-1A Armored Valkyrie, which is probably what you had. But there's also 3 obvious tubes on each side of the hips, that I believe were supposed to be hand grenades. The Battletech Crusader, like many initial "non-original" BT mech designs, the weapon loadout was chosen based on what vaguely matched what was visible in the existing Macross illustration, so they listed those tubes as SRM launchers.

I now want a Metal Siren in Battletech. Fuck you, we don’t need drop ships!

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

With the Clan as the opposition in a campaign could also work. Run it like the Shivan campaign in Freespace where you're fighting as hard as you can to lose a little bit more slowly.
    Garthor wrote: »

I think it would kind of play like a mirror of the Mechwarrior 3 campaign. You start off with all the equipment in the world you could possibly want, but as you extend into IS space, supply lines get strained, consumables and replacement parts get rarer and rarer.

So you'd start off as an untested detachment without access to the best toys because you're nobody. Earn honor and access to all the awesome Clan toys. Then things get tough and you can't afford to use your best stuff because you'll need to save it for the fights that really matter.

So Act 2 would be like the end of the Battletech campaign. You're dropping 4 Atlases every fight just because. You've pimped your lineup out to the max. Everyone starts complaining there's no real need to use lighter mechs anymore, but things aren't over yet.

Then Act 3 hits. It's the finally stretch to Tukayyid. One drop you find out you just don't have enough UAC20 ammo to run your favorite mech anymore. You can't replace an arm, so you start going through those omnipods that were gather dust in the back. Your only real resupplies are, as other teams give up and go home, you take their stuff to keep fighting.

It takes story to set up that mindset, that you aren't in the toybox anymore, and need to start conserving your resources, but an RPG seems like the perfect kind of place for that. You'll be undertonned most of the time anyway because I really feel like making Clan tech just straight up better is fine, if there are other mechanics at play that balance it out. MWO has no supply limits, no repair times, no reload costs for ammo. Clan tech being straight up better on paper is a huge problem because the game really has only that one dimension: combat performance. The Clans lost because as awesome as their toys were, their supply lines couldn't keep up. They were winning the battles, but losing the war.

A Clan campaign all about going from untested fighter to honored warrior to finally a grizzled veteran is the kinda thing I want to play.

I want these both, as separate games. The first would be a whole new campaign for the current one, with things to terrorize your LosTech Lance from flashpoints and all that jazz. The second would need proper non mech unit usage and controllability by the player, so we can finally have a lore appropriate appearance of one of the signature Clan units, the Elemental.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    In other news I cranked out all the Solaris 1v1 reward this weekend.

I really enjoy the mode and really wish PGI could find a balance between 180s countdown and 30s.

Something like Faction Warfare where the timer is set to 300s when only one person is in the queue and it drops to 30s as soon as there are 2 or more people in it.

Being able to see the timers for all queues at once would help a lot too.

I would download a car.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Two New BattleMechs
    The experimental Raven 1X sports an advanced electronic warfare package that combines ECM and Active Probe systems into a lightweight component. The Javelin is a compromise between speed and firepower, with close-range knockout power.

Heh, the Raven 1X is the one with a standard 175, so it's a 5/8 light mech. It has paper armor and it's only claim to fame is that it had ALL of the ECM/ECCM equipment; ECM, TAG, BAP, and NARC.

I thought it just had the obsolete 7.5ton EW suite that was a poor man's Guardian ECM/BAP combo?

I also find it interesting that they specifically say it will be the 1X, when they don't say what Javelin(s) will be used, nor did they mention the type of Cyclops, Hachetman or Crab for Flashpoint. Granted, there are only one canon version of the last two during this time, but the Cyclops AFAIK had 3 and the 1X Raven is *technically* the only version that could be running around in 3025.

...except, maybe, for the 2X, which trades the EW suite for a LL and more armor. Someone on the official forums mentioned that the Raven was one of the mechs promised during the Kickstarter, and even though they aren't suppose to exist until 3030, I wonder if they might release the 2X as part of the base update for the sake of the backers and save the 1X and its EW mechanics for the DLC.

steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Two New BattleMechs

I thought it just had the obsolete 7.5ton EW suite that was a poor man's Guardian ECM/BAP combo?

I also find it interesting that they specifically say it will be the 1X, when they don't say what Javelin(s) will be used, nor did they mention the type of Cyclops, Hachetman or Crab for Flashpoint. Granted, there are only one canon version of the last two during this time, but the Cyclops AFAIK had 3 and the 1X Raven is *technically* the only version that could be running around in 3025.

...except, maybe, for the 2X, which trades the EW suite for a LL and more armor. Someone on the official forums mentioned that the Raven was one of the mechs promised during the Kickstarter, and even though they aren't suppose to exist until 3030, I wonder if they might release the 2X as part of the base update for the sake of the backers and save the 1X and its EW mechanics for the DLC.

I'd guess they probably specified it's the early 1X model with its 7.5 ton EW unit (not sure why they'd refer to that as "lightweight") to make it clear they weren't advancing the timeline and introducing Gaurdian ECM, Beagle Active Probe, TAG, NARC, XL engines, or Ferro-fibrous armor to the game. All of which the Raven 3L has and is the variant most often referred to when talking about the Raven.

Two New BattleMechs

I’m suddenly imagining a mechanism where they add a calendar to the UI and each 52 weeks game time advances the year, and more variants and mechs start becoming available.

Could also add a option when starting a new campaign to set the year.

steam_sig.png
    Sigh, I'm going to be out of town for the last 3 days of the event, so no free mech bay for me. On the other hand I took out my lil Piranha and managed to knock out 3 of the 5 criteria of the first event in one game (match score, UAV detections, and solo kills). Unfortunately that little stunt was enough to tip me over into Tier 1. Pray for me.

At any rate, mech bays are on sale right now, so I picked one up along with a ADR-Prime and NVA-S (while the build I'm going to use primarily won't have one, I like having the option of building the triple AMS version).

Oh yeah, took my WHM-6D into QP in an attempt to get some UAV kills (spoiler, I only got one), and saw a relatively big name youtuber on the other side (not Bara or TTB, but somebody who's done a lot of tutorials). It's a weird feeling to trade shots with the guy using techniques you learned from his videos in avoiding damage while coring him out. Didn't get the kill as he ducked behind cover finally and one of my teammates caught up with him and finished the job. We ended up winning that match handily, but he had some 1200 damage done and 4 kills.

edited April 2019
    Two New BattleMechs

I’m suddenly imagining a mechanism where they add a calendar to the UI and each 52 weeks game time advances the year, and more variants and mechs start becoming available.

Could also add a option when starting a new campaign to set the year.

Timeline: displays the year in game, allows you to specify your starting era (3025, 3028, 3039, 3049) and allows unlocking events/mechs/etc by date based on tags
    JK Rarity: adds tags for more precise mech appearance rarity and introduction dates (Timeline mod) for mechs/vehicles. (JK Variants mod also recommended)

SiliconStew on
    Sigh, I'm going to be out of town for the last 3 days of the event, so no free mech bay for me. On the other hand I took out my lil Piranha and managed to knock out 3 of the 5 criteria of the first event in one game (match score, UAV detections, and solo kills). Unfortunately that little stunt was enough to tip me over into Tier 1. Pray for me.

At any rate, mech bays are on sale right now, so I picked one up along with a ADR-Prime and NVA-S (while the build I'm going to use primarily won't have one, I like having the option of building the triple AMS version).

Oh yeah, took my WHM-6D into QP in an attempt to get some UAV kills (spoiler, I only got one), and saw a relatively big name youtuber on the other side (not Bara or TTB, but somebody who's done a lot of tutorials). It's a weird feeling to trade shots with the guy using techniques you learned from his videos in avoiding damage while coring him out. Didn't get the kill as he ducked behind cover finally and one of my teammates caught up with him and finished the job. We ended up winning that match handily, but he had some 1200 damage done and 4 kills.

Oh, hey, he posted up the video to shame somebody on his own team for bad comms. Turns out he was a bit more damaged than I thought, but you can see me at one point trading with him before he died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQX0NxFe7ik

edited April 2019
    I'm actually a bit disappointed with him labeling "solo kill" mechs that have had their CT armor already stripped off before he starts shooting at them. I know he's just reporting what the game is telling him...but even that last Supernova already had an arm ripped off and who knows what else critted out(edit: rewatched and paid especially close attention to that bit) the entire RT removed by the time he opened up on it.

Seriously...DICEplzLOLPGI

Erlkönig on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm actually a bit disappointed with him labeling "solo kill" mechs that have had their CT armor already stripped off before he starts shooting at them. I know he's just reporting what the game is telling him...but even that last Supernova already had an arm ripped off and who knows what else critted out(edit: rewatched and paid especially close attention to that bit) the entire RT removed by the time he opened up on it.

The first supernova was his alone. He carved off the armor with a pair of full salvos before he locked. Definitely a solo kill.
    The highlander had some light armor damage (yellow or light orange) before his first burst, then he locks it up and finishes it with a second burst. Almost a 100% solo kill.
    The third had some significant work done on it before, but he still dealt more than 50% of the damage.

That's just how much damage potential the 2xLBX10+2xUAC10 MCII has.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    edited April 2019

The first supernova was his alone. He carved off the armor with a pair of full salvos before he locked. Definitely a solo kill.
    The highlander had some light armor damage (yellow or light orange) before his first burst, then he locks it up and finishes it with a second burst. Almost a 100% solo kill.
    The third had some significant work done on it before, but he still dealt more than 50% of the damage.

That's just how much damage potential the 2xLBX10+2xUAC10 MCII has.

First Supernova, I'll admit, ate about 3 sets of shots (twin-LBX + 2 ultras...1 of which jams after the first attempted double-fire) before it finally got target info locked in. Given that he was scattering his shots pretty heavily (between the range to target resulting in the LBXes spreading quite a bit and his shaky aim with the Ultras), that's 110 damage being spread across the front of the Supernova. CT and RT are armor stripped by the time target info comes in. Could very well be that the Supernova pilot was running with an over-abundance of back armor.

The Highlander IIC takes a single full-salvo entirely to the CT. That's a max potential of 60 damage. Base Highlander IIC (no skills) will have around 100 with a stupid amount of back armor. The Highlander definitely took fire beforehand (nearly half of the front CT armor had to have been stripped off before running into Blackhawk).

The second Supernova...well...you confirmed my LOLPGI position. It was at 40% when target info was coming in...which, at that point, was after taking 40 damage from Blackhawk (the 2 LBX along with a single burst from the Ultras...no double-tapping there). 40 damage with a stripped and deeply crit CT on a Supernova. "Solo" kill is definitely a miscategorization there.

Erlkönig on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm trying to update MWO but the latest patch always gets hung up about 15 percent into downloading. So I uninstalled MWO and a fresh download gets hung up in the same spot.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2019
    In all honesty, if his team had followed up with him they would have killed half of my team easily. My team had split, half of us had nascared around while the other half stayed where he dropped down. Wasn’t really shown there either but it was an 8 Assault game if that helps visualize it.

Following up would have kept Blackhawk alive and killed the 5 mechs in his general area, and I was sort of by myself (close enough to catch up to the tail of my nascar but I’d have to hustle) to finish off.

Instead they stubbornly held the top and he didn’t communicate his plan, so he died and we picked off the rest of his team at leisure.

Nobody on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Man, who knew deciding what Timberwolf CT you want would be so challenging.

I know the advice I got here was to pick one with an energy hardpoint in the CT, but most of the builds I try out run hot as hell, and I think I'd like some MGs for scaring off lights without shutting myself down, which has me drifting towards the Prime Variant.

Of course, I could also try to come up with a build that doesn't run twin LRM15/20s, and replace them with heat sinks, but that just seems sacrilegious...

steam_sig.png