As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    WHOSE DICK

Not to whiz in your cheerios, but I work for a non profit for the same hours, benefits, pension, walking distance and all that and it's … well, I've been looking elsewhere. The pay is low, but that fucking pension is a goddamn shackle on my ankle. I know there could be worse problems, boohoo, I have a pension! I hope your place works out better than mine, because mine is slowly killing me.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    WHOSE DICK

Not to whiz in your cheerios, but I work for a non profit for the same hours, benefits, pension, walking distance and all that and it's … well, I've been looking elsewhere. The pay is low, but that fucking pension is a goddamn shackle on my ankle. I know there could be worse problems, boohoo, I have a pension! I hope your place works out better than mine, because mine is slowly killing me.

Yeah, I don't have any illusions but if it sucks then I'll just bail and find something else.

My experience with non profit is constrained budget woes and leadership that a) doesn't understand IT at all b) doesn't value IT or understand it's a necessary pillar of business. Those things could happen most anywhere though.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Yeah but nonprofits get access to Techsoup, saving them (potentially) 10s of thousands of dollars.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah but nonprofits get access to Techsoup, saving them (potentially) 10s of thousands of dollars.

Which is fine if they don't then turn around come raise time and say "yeah, hey, but it's a nonprofit, soooooo"

which one of our clients does and it's pretty gross.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I had to get out of NPO's

There are a lot of people who think that because they're on a mission of altruism it should engulf everyone around them. Life and Time become the fuel for the machine and your compensation is just enough to live on +satisfaction.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Techsoup only carries you so far. Microsoft cut back their stuff, fortunately I bought all my 2016 datacenter licenses last year before the program changed. When it comes time to do the next server project, they're in for an ugly surprise. I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise, I already warned them but yeah.

edited April 2019
    Every NPO should be looking into linux right now.

Problem is they won't want to pay for the talent to do it right.

I have toyed with the idea of starting an NPO MSP for NPO's but I am no fundraiser.

Seidkona on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    My dad worked for NPO's his entire life. I feel pretty strongly that it was a major factor in ruining my childhood. Because they don't just ask for your blood, sweat, and tears, but if you don't have enough help, the spouse and kids will have to pitch in.

To this day I'm a major shit when people ask me to volunteer, because of this.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    They are currently putting together a job offer for me.

I got the job!

The awesome button isn't big enough for this.

edited April 2019
    Thawmus wrote: »
    My dad worked for NPO's his entire life. I feel pretty strongly that it was a major factor in ruining my childhood. Because they don't just ask for your blood, sweat, and tears, but if you don't have enough help, the spouse and kids will have to pitch in.

To this day I'm a major shit when people ask me to volunteer, because of this.

Me too. There's nothing like sleeping on an office couch when you're 13 because your mom can't leave work.

Then I turned around and worked for the same place for 14 years.

Leaving was in my top 5 of good things I have done for myself in the last few years.

Seidkona on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So, on prem Exchange, Barracuda security, getting a ridiculous number of these over the past few weeks and appearing to only get worse.

jmc3zxj12602.png

Appears to be the same 4 IP addresses. Is this something I should address in the firewall? Or since it's blocked, don't worry about it?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    If they are running a brute force against you it's safest to block it at firewall.

And if that IP is in China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Brazil, Germany, etc.?

Block the whole /16. Take no prisoners.

Bulgaria, but it's probably being hopped around.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    WHOSE DICK

The golden handcuffs are real. I know it sounds like a hyper first world problem to folks without the option, but it can really make your brain convince you that you should stay in a job that just isn't right for you no matter how much it's killing you. You just keeping thinking about not having it, and it consumes all of your rational concerns and shits them out as inconsequential compared to financial security in a nebulous imagined future decades ahead that you or your provider may not even be around to enjoy.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    WHOSE DICK

The golden handcuffs are real. I know it sounds like a hyper first world problem to folks without the option, but it can really make your brain convince you that you should stay in a job that just isn't right for you no matter how much it's killing you. You just keeping thinking about not having it, and it consumes all of your rational concerns and shits them out as inconsequential compared to financial security in a nebulous imagined future decades ahead that you or your provider may not even be around to enjoy.

True that. And if it festers long enough you suffer real world health issues from it. I stayed too long at my last job and it damn near broke me. Had to be put on blood pressure meds and ended up just pulling up stakes and moving out of state for a job opportunity because I was just so fed up with things.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So, on prem Exchange, Barracuda security, getting a ridiculous number of these over the past few weeks and appearing to only get worse.

jmc3zxj12602.png

Appears to be the same 4 IP addresses. Is this something I should address in the firewall? Or since it's blocked, don't worry about it?

The Barracuda is doing its job. It's dropping external attempts to relay mail through your server. You can certainly block it upstream at the firewall as well, but long term that's mostly just playing whack-a-mole. Those types of spammers/botnets bounce around and new ones pop up all the time.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    we ended up just outright blocking all ip's from China and Russia at our firewall. That got rid of most of those insances, and we're the type of company that the odds of getting a legitimate email from either of those countries is.... what's the closest number to zero without actually being zero? that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Yeah, we recently enabled geo-IP filtering for a client

Of course, now I get requests like "can you temporarily unblock Dubai so $executive can log in remotely while on vacation?"

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    And if that IP is in China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Brazil, Germany, etc.?

Block the whole /16. Take no prisoners.

Remove Korea and Japan, replace them with Vietnam and Turkey: that's the exact list of countries I've blocked entirely on my firewalls both at home and work.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I need to get a firewall that'll let me block ip ranges at home

I wish I could do it via the ISP layer

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Should India be on the list? I know most of the telecom issues are from there, but maybe not IP related ones?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You could probably realistically block everything outside of your country and be okay.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2019
    Honestly if it's not the US or an EU nation, and you don't have services needed in that country, the answer is yes.

Of course, I'm also a huge nazi when it comes to putting jumps in your firewall chains when they get that large, even if you're using sets. Check every packet against 2-3 things and get them the fuck outta there.

Also helps clarify packet counts and how effective rules are.

And if it is in the US or an EU nation, hit their abuse contact information. I have always had great luck with that.

Thawmus on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Honestly if it's not the US or an EU nation, and you don't have services needed in that country, the answer is yes.

Of course, I'm also a huge nazi when it comes to putting jumps in your firewall chains when they get that large, even if you're using sets. Check every packet against 2-3 things and get them the fuck outta there.

Also helps clarify packet counts and how effective rules are.

And if it is in the US or an EU nation, hit their abuse contact information. I have always had great luck with that.

But what about all those Nigerian princes?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

jmc3zxj12602.png

I’d have to check, but that looks like a similar range to what we have been getting. Lots of auth failures to relay and rate control deferrals. I did finally get around to setting up a backup MX record for our secondary internet connection, so I’m sure that’s contributing. We just put in a Cisco NG Firewall, so I’ll probably start blocking certain /24s and /16s over there instead of at the Barracuda (ours is just a Spam Filter). Man that thing is wild when it comes to what and how it can sense/block traffic.

Who's up because storage went down?

This girl.

Who won't give a shit in a few weeks?

Same person.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Interview number 5 for the new job is set.

To clarify, this is the 5th interview for the same position?

[Insert religiously based blasphemy of your choice here]

FIVE interviews?!

I get offended when I hear there is a second round.

(Good luck, of course)

Yes. This is the fifth interview for the same position.

I also had to give a project presentation.

Man this would so be a bridge too far for me. I'd be like, "Okay so it seems intimidating me out of joining your team is the goal here and mission accomplished."

Kudos to you and anyone else with more willpower than me.

Yeah uhh, three interviews is one too many. You check my resume, you see I'm qualified for the job. First interview is to double-check that I didn't lie on my resume and I'm not a psycho, second interview is to make sure my personality will mesh well with the team I'm joining. If you think I'll do good and work well, hire me.

Five interviews is absolutely taking the piss. Nobody is applying to be Supreme Chancellor Overlord Of The Galaxy here, it's a job. If you want me to do the job, give me money. Otherwise, fuck off wasting my time and emotional labour with this shit.

This girl.

Same person.

Does your current job know yet?

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Wooooooooo!!! Salesforce is dubba dee dubba DOWWWN. (I'm actually terrified honestly we use it for our case management/ticketing system at our new job and apparently an entire datacenter decided to shit the bed for all of North America. I wouldn't want to be in their offices right now)

edited April 2019
    LD50 wrote: »

This girl.

Same person.

Does your current job know yet?

Nope. I got the offer today. My start day will be on the 20th.

I am going to give notice on Monday and then take a week off in between.

Seidkona on
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Wooooooooo!!! Salesforce is dubba dee dubba DOWWWN. (I'm actually terrified honestly we use it for our case management/ticketing system at our new job and apparently an entire datacenter decided to shit the bed for all of North America. I wouldn't want to be in their offices right now)

Same here but in our case, fucking Mimecast blew up and stopped sending emails from our domain out to any external domains so sending email to IT stopped generating cases.

God I hate mimecast.

Huh...
    FF wrote: »

Same here but in our case, fucking Mimecast blew up and stopped sending emails from our domain out to any external domains so sending email to IT stopped generating cases.

God I hate mimecast.

Oh sweet lord that sounds painful. It finally came back up, so I suppose I have to slog through some more cases... I guess. (4pm get here faster dammit)

Welp it's official I will soon be a Cloud Engineer.

Actually THE cloud engineer. New position as they are starting to move into the cloud more and they wanted someone to own the platform.

I hate microsoft today. I also hate users. I especially hate microsoft users.

Why did Microsoft decide to allow arbitrarily long path names in NTFS but not in Windows?

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Actually THE cloud engineer. New position as they are starting to move into the cloud more and they wanted someone to own the platform.

Which also means you're Ops, T1,T2 and T3 support, Cloud Developer and coffee guy.

Maybe just saying that out of experience...

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited April 2019
    Drovek wrote: »

Which also means you're Ops, T1,T2 and T3 support, Cloud Developer and coffee girl.

Maybe just saying that out of experience...

I know.

I am under no illusions that I'm not just a systems engineer with extra responsibilities.

Seidkona on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I set up a network device well over a year ago and sent all the necessary info to access it to the manager of the department who will be using it

Manager approaches me today, says that they've never used it, but they're going to start now, carrying a print out of the email I sent, asking me if that's the info they need to access it

13akauyhbqu9.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.