As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    If you select Tournament Mode, you go into an offline versus mode with only the ranked loadouts selectable. The only extra work is if you want training mode.

Oh! Well that's good, at least.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    story mode spoilers:

i haven't gotten very far, only up to where liu kang/kung lao meet up to punch their revenant counterparts. however i can't help but think that kronika is a giant dummy. while the undead team is all in on the LET'S FUCKING RUIN EVERYTHING plan, i feel like shao kahn is simply going to knife her in the back (maybe figuratively) and the most inopportune moment causing everything to fall apart anyway. or maybe the last fight is actually raiden v raiden and they wipe each other out.

that being said i am along for the ride because this (right now at least) doesn't make me hate it. i truly cant stand time travel stories but at this stage MK11 has managed to fix that simply by saying "well everything is royally fucked and at the end it will get sorted out....maybe".

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    story mode spoilers:

i haven't gotten very far, only up to where liu kang/kung lao meet up to punch their revenant counterparts. however i can't help but think that kronika is a giant dummy. while the undead team is all in on the LET'S FUCKING RUIN EVERYTHING plan, i feel like shao kahn is simply going to knife her in the back (maybe figuratively) and the most inopportune moment causing everything to fall apart anyway. or maybe the last fight is actually raiden v raiden and they wipe each other out.

that being said i am along for the ride because this (right now at least) doesn't make me hate it. i truly cant stand time travel stories but at this stage MK11 has managed to fix that simply by saying "well everything is royally fucked and at the end it will get sorted out....maybe".

I just watched the story mode play through on YouTube, but don't really have any intention of playing the game myself.
    Yeah, Kronika does seem to love recruiting dudes voted "Most likely to betray you at a critical moment in your plan" in high school.

see317 wrote: »
    story mode spoilers:

I just watched the story mode play through on YouTube, but don't really have any intention of playing the game myself.
    Yeah, Kronika does seem to love recruiting dudes voted "Most likely to betray you at a critical moment in your plan" in high school.

to an extent i get it
    naturally the losers are going to be most interested in rewriting history, however the current motivation for the big bad is "i don't like how people are playing in my sandbox". the alternative option is that she is just straight up telling a humongous lie to everyone. curious to see where it goes

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    @no-quarter I'm playing with my buddy right now. I'm busy saturday afternoon but might be around that night. probably around friday night... Sunday is game of thrones. if you are open to it I know my friend John would love to come, you met him at least twice before and played kombat with him way back

anyway, I'm talking about this in the thread to lead into saying

is there any way to get player 2 in a local game to have access to specific loadouts from kustomize? it's prbably me messing up something very simple.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Quick correction to an earlier post of mine: we'll be getting 500 hearts as part of the make good, not 100.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Finally getting to play.

I’m impressed by the decision to separate the VS mode completely away from the arcade towers, to keep the different modes from interfering with one another.

I am VERY impressed by the design work of The Krypt. Seeing Shang Tsung as a kind of mellowed-out Dracula figure being very low-key about having all kinds of valuables for the taking is great. Even though I’d seen the video showcasing the Krypt being on Shang Tsung’s island, this is, literally, Shang Tsung’s island.

As in, Mortal Kombat One happened here.

So you see the courtyard where all the monks sat while Shang presided from his serpent-looking throne. You see the Warrior Shrine with the statues of Goro and the seven original kombatants. You see The Pit, and Blaze and Hornbuckle are still in perpetual battle in the distance.

There is so much going on here, and designed so well, one can very nearly see the case for an MK adventure game being demonstrated. It’s so close.. It may well be a glorified shop mixed with something akin to a Myst clone, but there is a real mood, real location design, and your generic masked avatar is clearly a stand-in.

Oddly, I haven’t opened any chests beyond the two needed to enter the first gate. I’m...just not inclined, right now.

I’m deeply confused that the breakables only ever yield something between 4 and 12 koins apiece. They could increase that amount by ten times and it still wouldn’t be enough to matter. I don’t think I’ve seen a chest for less than 3,000, but then again, I haven’t been looking. Exploring the island is awesome enough.

I just wonder, if there had been some gameplay element on the island itself to get coins from, how compelling it would be. Maybe chests that are guarded by ‘spirit warriors’ to fight with their own unique modifiers that yield coins to unlock the other chests. I don’t know.

Linespider5 on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    The online connection thing is starting to get on my nerves, especially since the PS4 has pretty shit wifi and I can't be bothered to move it to the living room to get an ethernet cable in it just so I can play singleplayer content. Or fucking mess with the customization options. Started the Tower of Time tutorial, then fifteen seconds into the first fight "Wifi connection lost" and I'm booted back to the menu.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Oh on the Story Mode:

I didn’t play MKX but I honestly feel a bit weird watching so much while the characters do actiony things. I enjoy the times when you’re in part of the game with a pair of fighters and you have to pick which one to deal with a threat.

I also want to mention that while the story is compelling it feels a little disjointed. Some of the story points jump a little too hard.

Also, for how much we rag on Raiden, MK11 seems to be really showing him in a sympathetic light I would not have expected. He just seems so tired and alone.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I am VERY impressed by the design work of The Krypt. Seeing Shang Tsung as a kind of mellowed-out Dracula figure being very low-key about having all kinds of valuables for the taking is great. Even though I’d seen the video showcasing the Krypt being on Shang Tsung’s island, this is, literally, Shang Tsung’s island.

I’m deeply confused that the breakables only ever yield something between 4 and 12 koins apiece. They could increase that amount by ten times and it still wouldn’t be enough to matter. I don’t think I’ve seen a chest for less than 3,000, but then again, I haven’t been looking. Exploring the island is awesome enough.
    It's amazing to come around a corner and realise you're standing in the middle of an MK 1 stage.

The point on breakables is true. It's almost nothing. You could maybe smash every pot in the krypt and open 1 maybe 2 chests, what is the purpose here?

I'd probably be fine with the Krypt if they just took the chest prices and divided them by 10. 250 hearts is an absurd price.

Also
    Why the hell did they make Kenshi's Blindfold DRAIN soul fragments?!

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah the 250 hearts thing is egregious. Like this isn’t even the worst microtransactions ever but I just hate it, when it’s in a game you love it just ruins the immersion. I don’t feel like I’m exploring a krypt and finding loot, it feels like I’m paying for loot

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Raiden had a pretty good track record up until he MK: Deception. He lead Lui Kang and Earthrealm to defeat Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn (twice!) and Shinnok. But in Decepticion they had the canon ending to Deadly Alliance be "Raiden loses, where Shang Tsung and Quan Chi managed to murder all the Earthrealm heroes sent to stop them, and then kick Raiden's ass" and that only got interrupted by Onaga the Dragon King, which caused Raiden to blow himself up and accidentally come back evil.... Where he proceeded to bring Lui Kang back as a zombie... and did not accomplish much before Armagedden, which MK9 has the ending be "Raiden loses to Shao Kahn", and then he sends a message back in time which confuses his younger self to the point of disaster, as Raiden goes on to fuck up every which way for the next three games.

Raiden used to be competent, honest!

(Ignore his MK1 ending, where he grows bored fighting mortals and invites all the gods to the next Mortal Kombat tournament, where they proceed to destroy earth. Have a nice day.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

So you see the courtyard where all the monks sat while Shang presided from his serpent-looking throne. You see the Warrior Shrine with the statues of Goro and the seven original kombatants. You see The Pit, and Blaze and Hornbuckle are still in perpetual battle in the distance.

Well that don't make no sense since Blaze and Hornbuckle were fighting on Pit II in Outworld.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Went into the Krypt and opened a few chests. One of the first things I got was Scorpions Crispy Brutality, so then I went into a Klassic tower and burned some fools.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I like the idea that this isn't even close to the first time Khronika's done this. Every characters arcade mode ending happened in every game, then Khronika decided she didn't like it and rewound. This is just the first time we've seen her doing it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    What do time crystals do anyway? Also when are you able to spend souls to open those green things in the krypt?

I wish it would tell you what changing the difficulty did in terms of rewards as well

Also when is that free 500 grand bonus being added?

Prohass on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So unlike MKX, MK11 natively supports the DS4. Had to read how to do it - you need to de-select all Steam controller setup options, and let the game figure it out. Now my button prompts make sense!

Someone actually has a set of icons you can replace in the MKX folder as well that swaps the Xbox controller icons for DS4 icons, which I might grab.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What do time crystals do anyway? Also when are you able to spend souls to open those green things in the krypt?

I wish it would tell you what changing the difficulty did in terms of rewards as well

Also when is that free 500 grand bonus being added?

Time crystals are used in the Store to buy the random unlocks that occasionally show up in it.

You can spend souls once you get the item that lets you do that. If you've gotten the triangle button, it's not far off.

liEt3nH.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Those of you who have the game... How is the "loot box" situation? Are they really selling "koins" or whatever to spend on randomized content?

It's...not great. It's basically a three-tier currency system that can be spent in the Krypt in which the contents of every single chest is apparently completely random. On top of that, all of the customization options in the game are locked either there or in the Towers of Time (mostly the Krypt). This includes, bafflingly, fatalities and brutalities, arguably the game's defining feature among its peers.

I'm a big fan of the series but I think this time they've made some severe missteps with regard to the game's design. The story and gameplay is otherwise pretty solid, so if you don't care about skins or accessing your fighter's fatalities apart from the one default that each character has, you'll be fine.
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Those of you who have the game... How is the "loot box" situation? Are they really selling "koins" or whatever to spend on randomized content?

It's...not great. It's basically a three-tier currency system that can be spent in the Krypt in which the contents of every single chest is apparently completely random. On top of that, all of the customization options in the game are locked either there or in the Towers of Time (mostly the Krypt). This includes, bafflingly, fatalities and brutalities, arguably the game's defining feature among its peers.

I'm a big fan of the series but I think this time they've made some severe missteps with regard to the game's design. The story and gameplay is otherwise pretty solid, so if you don't care about skins or accessing your fighter's fatalities apart from the one default that each character has, you'll be fine.

WB just got over that big ol' scandal with Shadow of War's loot box fiasco to only come back and double down on an arguably much bigger franchise?

Hot damn. I mean, they might not be "loot boxes" per se, but the random grindy nature and the need for "konsumables" is still equally scummy.
    konsumables arent 'needed'.
    with the exception of stuff likely specifically added to be sold as add-on's, almost everything can be unlocked through play and the 'time crystals' that can be purchased are only trying to sell you things you mostly can already earn through patience.

You knew what you were buying with an MK game. The unlocks being slower to be available and based on actual play seems no different to me than an RPG that makes you level up to get new skills.

Without the earning currency thing you would likely feel no reward at all beyond beating an opponent. What I'm seeing here is an attempt to make playing the game with your friends more rewarding over a longer period of time.

While i agree the amount of soul/hearts/koins you gain is a bit on the slow side, apparently they are going to patch that to be better over the next week.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Finished the Kronika fight last night. Got the to the ending and the server disconnected booting me out of the game before I could see what happened.

Awesome gamer experience.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Hey guys, this might be a better question for the Switch thread but...

Is ther any way for me to turn off MK11 constantly checking for an internet connection while I'm playing on the go? I'm just trying to get through the tutorial but every time I do a step the game stops to remind me I'm not online. Thank you Mortal Kombat, I know, you already told me that my progress would get uploaded once I connect, I don't need you to check every 10 seconds!

If there is no way to address that that's seriously going to stymie my enjoyment and cause me to regret not buying it on PS4

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is there a DLC that makes me better at fighting games? I'm not talking about something to make the game easier, I literally want the DLC to inject a fighting game skill serum in me or something.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Yeah the 250 hearts thing is egregious. Like this isn’t even the worst microtransactions ever but I just hate it, when it’s in a game you love it just ruins the immersion. I don’t feel like I’m exploring a krypt and finding loot, it feels like I’m paying for loot

Is it really microtransactions when you aren't buying anything? Everything is unlocked by playing the game. You aren't buying Canadough...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Is it really microtransactions when you aren't buying anything? Everything is unlocked by playing the game. You aren't buying Canadough...

As a Canadian, I'm not sure if I should be offended or nodding my head in agreement with this statement.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

see317 wrote: »
    story mode spoilers:

to an extent i get it
    naturally the losers are going to be most interested in rewriting history, however the current motivation for the big bad is "i don't like how people are playing in my sandbox". the alternative option is that she is just straight up telling a humongous lie to everyone. curious to see where it goes

Well...to be fair shes higher than an Elder god. shes hardly worried about mortals. Of course she doesnt realize about there secret weapon....the jump kick to the face.

Before I forget-hey Netherrealm, maybe, uh, don’t include the Fatal Blows in Story Mode? Just don’t have them in there for like any fights? It’s really dissonant.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Having only played through the story so far and not much else besides about 10 minutes in the Krypt I have to say I'm a bit disappointed overall.

I was expecting the story to be a fun and weird romp but it was just kind of stupid and short.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    There are a couple of tame Fatal Blows. Johnny's comes to mind. Getting your face smushed with a few good kicks and eating ashphalt aside, the worst part is getting stabbed with the trophy in the back, but that's a lot better than someone like Frost or Kollector. :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Like, the very first match in the game, both Fatal Blows got triggered, which really undercut where the first Chapter goes, plot-wise.

On another FB note:
    Sektor seems to lack the x-ray stuff when receiving a Fatal Blow, which is an interesting behind the scenes clue about the non-playable fighters and the work they might require to become DLC.

Those 'cyborgs' sure have a whole lot of meat inside them during fatalities i have to say.

I can’t tell if I feel bad for Cyrax or have to think he’s a chump now.

I haven't gotten that far yet, but after what he did in previous mk's with all those damn bomb combos fuck cyrax

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Is there a DLC that makes me better at fighting games? I'm not talking about something to make the game easier, I literally want the DLC to inject a fighting game skill serum in me or something.

Dumb question, have you done the tutorials? This game really goes out of it's way to teach you how to play, it's pretty robust.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Finished Kabal's character tower, got 3 skins, 2 weapons, 2 masks and 2 gas tanks, and a bunch of abilities too
    pqtiz1dvhwtz.png
    My guy looks like a mini Bane now lol

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Dumb question, have you done the tutorials? This game really goes out of it's way to teach you how to play, it's pretty robust.

The tutorials are ridiculously robust and should set the standard for fighting games going forward.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dude didn't appreciate his sweet cyborg body. Like, at all.
    Sure, he may not have had the bad ass flame throwers or missiles, but unlimited bombs and an energy net aren't that bad.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Started Towers of Time. I understand the complaints about the grind/ rewards, but they're working on that. With that said the Towers themselves are cool as hell and are just so offer so much singleplayer content.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Sounds to me like it's an oversight. NRS is all about esports and I seriously doubt they'd intentionally do anything like this to hinder that scene.

I fully expect to see a fix ASAP.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    Finished story mode. Hot damn, that was good! Probably the best story mode NRS has done so far. I wish it was about 5 times longer, though, with a greater gameplay to cutscene ratio. I honestly think these guys just want to make movies sometimes. The ending really leaves everything wide open for sequels. The only annoying bit, I thought, was the Kronika fight. I mean, yeah, MK final bosses are always cheap but come the fuck on. She is impervious to Fatal Blows and even some special attacks, but her attacks of course are super hard to dodge and hit like a fucking dump truck.

As for the story...
    I really liked how they redeemed both Raiden and Liu Kang, both of them have been through hell and back over the past couple games trying to do the right thing and getting totally dicked over for their efforts. Fire God Liu Kang is pretty fun and I assume he won't be available in any other game mode, though I think you can use his skin. At first I thought it was a little odd they ended the story with Kronika basically winning, she does ultimately reset the timeline of the universe and kills everyone (or I guess, rewinds time so that noone has been born yet, anyways)... but then Liu Kang destroys her and takes her place as the architect of time, which would indicate all our favorite characters will be born again except this time dickhead Kronika won't be around to constantly reset the timeline and make everyone's lives hell for her own amusement. It really does leave everything wide open, they could concievably bring back anyone they want now for MK12 (if they make MK12 anyways). It also feels like the ending to this story mode could also close out the story of MK all together if they wanted to call it quits.

Anyways, very satisfying story mode. Only real weaknesses are 1) Rhonda Rousey's terrible voice acting 2) It's too darn short.

So with story mode done, I think it's time to hit those towers!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg