As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Man, I am having such a pain of a time trying to get my PLA to stay on the bed. I tried using a raft and without but the ends keep curling up and then they snag something and the whole thing gets yanked off. Some sites recommend painters (blue) tape, others say you need to get the nozzle closer to the bed on the first layer. Has either of these worked for any of you? I'm using an UP! Plus 2 using a perf board if that means anything...

I'm going to try adjusting the nozzle height in a second here so I'll let you all know how it goes.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    the painter's tape thing is one I've seen pretty frequently

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Oh hey, so I read the manual, and actually it says the raft warping is actually it's because the extruder is too close. Well, that's good because I was about to adjust it down which probably would have broken something. Guh.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tonight's entertainment: 3.2" touchscreen. It has enough logic on its own to need no firmware changes to the controller board, it speaks G-code to the board to do stuff.

It has an SD reader on the other side, as well as a plugin slot for a wifi module. I won't need that since I have a Raspberry Pi with OctoPrint. Well, I don't even need the touchscreen with OctoPrint, this was just for fun.

2yW0k82.jpg

That screen has a 72MHz 32-bit ARM CPU, so it has way more processing power than the actual 8-bit controller board. :rotate:

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Huh, was coming in to post about the creality sale, but I saw it was 20% off earlier, and now its 10% off.
    Not bad, just weird that it changed.

PSN: jfrofl
    Yesterday's little utility print to declutter my desk: a stand where each slot can hold a USB device, SD card or a couple of micro-SD cards.

Just for the heck of it I hotswapped to neon green mid-print.

bsjkzVxl.jpg

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to buy an ESP8266 or five...

I've been wanting a filament runout sensor so the print will automagically pause if the filament runs out - right now I have three spools I'm wary of using since I don't know if there's enough left on them for prints. With a runout sensor I can just let it use up the filament and have it pause. And with some coding I can get a notification when it's time to swap!

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Inspired by this thread I bought an Ender 5. I'm going to be in trouble as this is just so fucking cool. I'm already drowning in ideas of stuff to work on. Got it setup and and calibrated in maybe an hour and half? After that my first print was a quickly found Epic 40k Predator tank. I didn't even bother to scale it correctly, I just wanted to see it in action. Did not disappoint. I'm so excited.

pl4zgi77j0on.jpg

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, 3D printing thread, can I assume everyone has seen Form Labs’ latest offerings?
    Specifically the Form 3 and Form fuckhuge?

Anyone got a chance to see one in person/in the wild yet? Their new system seems like a neat way to ditch the wipe step but I can’t tell what their speed claims really mean from just numbers.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread I bought an Ender 5. I'm going to be in trouble as this is just so fucking cool.

Welcome aboard and/or I'm so sorry!

I've been sidetracking into home-made IoT stuff lately, so I decided I needed a filament runout sensor that would pause the print when the filament runs out, since the Ender 3 doesn't have one.

I made this prototype to test stuff:

TDST4sUl.jpg

And then slapped it into this case (minus wiring):

sMN2Bbvl.jpg

That's a Wemos D1 Mini board based on an ESP8266. The original idea was to have it detect runout and send me a notification, but I ended up using just the microswitch - I have OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi for printing, and the switch is connected to GPIO pins on the Raspberry, and then I have a plugin for handling filament runout to pause the print. An IFTTT plugin then sends me a notification on my phone.

I'm going to design and print a smaller case, but here it is in action. The green blob is a dust filter - just two parts that screw into each other, and then a piece of sponge wrapped around the filament inside.

ww5kJ59l.jpg

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Hey guys, two things, I am having a HELL of a time with my 3D printer. I have been cleaning the nozzle, leveling the buildplate, everything I could think of but it keeps on failing. It seems like the plastic is just not coming out of the nozzle, as the interior scaffolding looks more like lace than plastic support walls. Any suggestions? I've got a Ultimaker 2.

Second thing who's seen the IVI 3d printer? I've seen the Kickstarter, and man...It just seems WAY too good to be true, but I don't have the experience to say why. It's under "IVI: The Closed-Loop 3D Printer" and the cost for a base level model is 400, which seems just way too low. Thanks guys!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    Hey guys, two things, I am having a HELL of a time with my 3D printer. I have been cleaning the nozzle, leveling the buildplate, everything I could think of but it keeps on failing. It seems like the plastic is just not coming out of the nozzle, as the interior scaffolding looks more like lace than plastic support walls. Any suggestions? I've got a Ultimaker 2.

Do you have a spare nozzle you can try? I got a backup one with my printer.

...and on that note I'm dealing with a clogged nozzle myself right now. This is the second time I got a major clog, both times using this same black filament. I suspect it's either polluted or the black coloring is clumped up. Either way, not using that filament again once I got this unclogged.

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Sadly no, no backup nozzle. I'll have to order one from amazon, thankfully they're not too expensive, and hopefully it's not too hard to change out the nozzle!

Never mind! Just looked at how to change it out, and damn, that's complex. Have to try something else...

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    This looks lite a cute little thing. Good price as a first printer as well. I wonder how hackable it is though, it could use better stepper drivers to reduce the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xtJddDgB4

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So uh, visiting professor is currently giving a presentation on using 3D printers to print models of bones and implants, and I can already see the questions coming. Knowing basically jack about 3D printers, what are some recommended higher end models right now with a large build areas (say, having to do a full size arm or leg bone all at once)?

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    That's a bigger task to be sure. I would think in something like that you would break down the parts to not the full arm, but individual components at a time.

That size volume gets more into the professional grade of which there are a few vendors out there:
    https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/fuse-1/
    165x165x320mm build area

These guys have a few different printer options:
    https://www.stratasys.com/3d-printers

Not sure who else to look at.

PSN: jfrofl
    edited April 2019
    I meant like, a humerus or radius, not both at once. But also figure 20 inches or more for a femur. Or I'll just have to tell them they only get half of the long bones at once.

Edit: This one from Folgertech seems to have a 28 inch build area. Anyone have any experience or thoughts with that company?

Mvrck on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Form Labs also has the Form 3L up for preorder if you want enormous build volume in a consumer-ish desktop device: https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/form-3l/
    More than that and you start getting into industrial scale printers if you want to stick with resin.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Form Labs also has the Form 3L up for preorder if you want enormous build volume in a consumer-ish desktop device: https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/form-3l/
    More than that and you start getting into industrial scale printers if you want to stick with resin.

Yeah, I'll have to see just what their use case is going to be. I just know this guy mentioned doing full bone mockups in his presentation, but that's going to be a significant dollar and space investment if people want this I guess.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah, I'll have to see just what their use case is going to be. I just know this guy mentioned doing full bone mockups in his presentation, but that's going to be a significant dollar and space investment if people want this I guess.

So one thing to consider is I know some of the EDEN line has FDA approved resins, though aimed at the dental market. I think I'd read something about 3D printing surgical guides of some sort at one point too.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • KleinKlein Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So uh, visiting professor is currently giving a presentation on using 3D printers to print models of bones and implants, and I can already see the questions coming. Knowing basically jack about 3D printers, what are some recommended higher end models right now with a large build areas (say, having to do a full size arm or leg bone all at once)?

May I ask which professor this is?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am building my first 3D print project, it is super cool seeing it come together.

I have to remove a lot of support structure stuff from curved surfaces, and I think it's making a lot of dents / leaving hollow space in the curve, any advice for filling it back in and sanding it down? How do you normally remove the support stuff?

Gonna need to glue a lot of parts together and have them be seamless - what should I use for that?

Aaand can I use Mr Surfacer lacquer primer on this stuff? Its good for Gunpla, so I'm assuming it's safe on PLA?

Oh brilliant
    What the heck is up with this new filament I bought? Severe under-extrusion (is the name of my next band).

dZpg8Dyl.jpg

I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

lVi8rpil.jpg

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Do you have knots? They might not be visible but there could be a big knot on your spool. They tend to show when the spool gets lower though, not when new.

edited May 2019
    I had a weird thing a while back where only one particular model kept on underextruding. Eventually I just remade the whole model from scratch (lucky it had fairly simple geometry) and it came out fine but for the life of me I can't figure out why it was just that model that kept causing the problem.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    This delta printer is goddamn massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7OymY4lVRo

but how do I get that printer in the US?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    but how do I get that printer in the US?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303088791698

people still use ebay?

how does one buy it without ebay?

If I had to decide between an actual mugger and ebay to give my credit card or bank info to, I'd give it to the mugger every time.

It's on UK Amazon, but eBay is apparently how they sell it to the US.

Think I found the issue with the under-extrusion on the printer. This is the gear wheel that feeds filament, the cogs are all gummed up so it can't grip the filament properly.

4HLOGKNl.jpg

Seems that brass gear actually got worn out. There's some play on the stepper motor shaft, so I just lowered the gear a bit so it uses the upper unused part of the gear to feed the filament. Doing a test print now but it seems to have improved things already.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    How long/how much have you been using your printer that it wore out?

Guesstimating 300-ish hours over four months?

I could replace that gear, but I'm considering just getting a better extruder and replace the whole thing. Might go for a BondTech extruder what with it being a Swedish company so I can order straight from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7G1cwVduVk

Echo wrote: »

which is probably like high end for hobbyist 3d printing lol

bowen wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

which is probably like high end for hobbyist 3d printing lol

It adds up pretty fast. This fancy hat dome for a building was about 18 hours. Printing one full set of terrain for a table is probably 100+ hours.

ZvJ8wGSl.jpg

I'm considering that predator one, that was really nice and seems to have really nice build quality

also I can build massive pieces which is another thing I was looking for