As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    62 heart kills on a wall, take one down, pass it around, 62 heart kills on a wall~

I had a vod of this, but it got all fucked up somehow. Still! Another defect kill - Early store yielded Apotheosis, and eventually the deck managed to coalesce into a pretty typical Echo Form/Mummified Hand approach. So that was nice!
    0DC6409C1B417915CCA1C4D705872A62692AD890[img][/img]

Also, @MNC Dover I took this screenshot just for you
    5B42F842D849836D0CD251BBF35AF09F0D37647C

Deck hasnt lost yet, but it's not looking likely to win either, it's just too slow, alas.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    LOL! 900+ armor.

EAT THAT ROBOT!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Personally I like the fact that he's got 48 str going on.

And I mean I really wanted the feed so stalling made sense right?

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Dude's gotta eat, yeah~ Ironclad is most definitely a hungry boy.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    It's OK to have bad relics. Like the boot, or the drill thingy.

Sometimes you roll a 1 on the 20 sided die. The good news is, even just seeing a bad relic means you can never pull it again later in the run.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think if there's one thing that's bothersome about dodecahedron it's that it's kind of a "win more" relic. There are lots of relics that can be "more or less useless" (though in practice will often do SOMETHING even if marginal). But RD is rarely going to be the relic that makes your deck work (and lots of times it won't do anything at all). I might like it better as a shop-exclusive relic so you had the choice of when to invest, which feels fair and similar to Chemical X and Spoon (the other relics I can think of that can actually do literally nothing without a deck to support them). I think the main reason it isn't in that category is that at lower ascension levels when you don't start with damage it's actually stupidly reliable.

[Edit]
    Actually, I'd really like RD tied to a unique event where you roll it and get different effects based on the result, with something like 12 getting you full heal + the relic, which makes it a little more "generally worthwhile" and at least gives you a chance to leverage it when you obtain it.

I like the idea of that event. i can definitely see the feeling of it being Win More.

@Burtletoy I agree fun is the point - i'd actually like to be able to take Prismatic Shard, hence the want for it to show up in a event that makes it tempting to take, rather than feeling like i'm throwing away my gold. Winning is fun for me, and Prismatic Shard has never been the sort of "This will help me win" fun. If that makes sense? whereas i've totally had moments where Dodecahedron was the hero i needed.

On this note, going live (Because i belive in making it hard for @kime to watch me stream =D)

lol you went live after midnight, c'mon :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    I think if there's one thing that's bothersome about dodecahedron it's that it's kind of a "win more" relic. There are lots of relics that can be "more or less useless" (though in practice will often do SOMETHING even if marginal). But RD is rarely going to be the relic that makes your deck work (and lots of times it won't do anything at all). I might like it better as a shop-exclusive relic so you had the choice of when to invest, which feels fair and similar to Chemical X and Spoon (the other relics I can think of that can actually do literally nothing without a deck to support them). I think the main reason it isn't in that category is that at lower ascension levels when you don't start with damage it's actually stupidly reliable.

[Edit]
    Actually, I'd really like RD tied to a unique event where you roll it and get different effects based on the result, with something like 12 getting you full heal + the relic, which makes it a little more "generally worthwhile" and at least gives you a chance to leverage it when you obtain it.

I like the idea of that event. i can definitely see the feeling of it being Win More.

@Burtletoy I agree fun is the point - i'd actually like to be able to take Prismatic Shard, hence the want for it to show up in a event that makes it tempting to take, rather than feeling like i'm throwing away my gold. Winning is fun for me, and Prismatic Shard has never been the sort of "This will help me win" fun. If that makes sense? whereas i've totally had moments where Dodecahedron was the hero i needed.

On this note, going live (Because i belive in making it hard for @kime to watch me stream =D)

lol you went live after midnight, c'mon :P

I feed on your suffering, @kime

It gives me +4 Max hp.

BSoB wrote: »

Sometimes you roll a 1 on the 20 sided die. The good news is, even just seeing a bad relic means you can never pull it again later in the run.

Boot ... bad?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Boot ... bad?

Narrow, maybe, and not my first choice for sure, but not that!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    LbQKI9Y.jpg

may not have been possible to lose this run

by the end i was pathing exclusively to shops to tighten it because increasing its power was not possible

sig.gif
    edited April 2019
    Auralynx wrote: »

Boot ... bad?

Narrow, maybe, and not my first choice for sure, but not that!

Boot is the only relic that enables a t1k on the heart.

QED boot is the best relic in the game.

(More seriously, I find it a consistently useful act 1 relic, and is persistently handy vs blocking fires it Nemesis. It's kinda low key awesome - nothing amaizing, but a nice little workhorse in the deck)

Also you could get stronger, @Powerpuppies ! Just add mummified hand, great sinks and echo form. Mike the spire from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

(Great work!)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I think I did! Meteors come from orbit and lightning's at least from above...

I raced from defect A12 to defect A15 and then stayed there for ages. I suspect I'm bumping up against a ceiling of how much defeat I'm willing to tolerate. Cannot imagine making it to A20.

It was fun getting a t1k on the A4 elites though - 2 meteors and a hologram and a double energy and a tempest and a thunder strike, or something similarly absurd. Tempest uses up all your energy but then refunds six for the thunder strike.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2019
    I think I did! Meteors come from orbit and lightning's at least from above...

I raced from defect A12 to defect A15 and then stayed there for ages. I suspect I'm bumping up against a ceiling of how much defeat I'm willing to tolerate. Cannot imagine making it to A20.

It was fun getting a t1k on the A4 elites though - 2 meteors and a hologram and a double energy and a tempest and a thunder strike, or something similarly absurd. Tempest uses up all your energy but then refunds six for the thunder strike.

A couple of pieces of advice there: One, dont be afraid to take a break.

Two: If you just want to climb acension, dont fight the heart. Going for the heart may as well add two or three acension levels to the diffuclty of what you're doing (if not more).

Three: You're doing well, you can do it!

Meanwhile, here's a challenge for the thread: Figure out why this deck died.
    ED5538363FDF4536BC2A11DF092CE00958FB8F54

Figure it'll be a good challenge for ya all on your deck building skills

The Zombie Penguin on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Your deck is a bird - your challenge is invalid.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    edited April 2019
    Your deck is a bird - your challenge is invalid.

...So it is. How the...

Edit: Fixed. Whooops.

At least i've never lost a heart run by GIVING the heart strength. (Dont play Dark Shackles on the heart's buff turn, kids).

The Zombie Penguin on
    I'd guess a bad draw and a lack of reliable damage being overwhelmed before your mitigation could really be leveraged? Like, I feel like against S&S you're kinda fucked if you didn't have opening hand Envenom (they both have artifact, right, so Malaise is really mediocre against them too?) to get off to a solid start whittling away at one of them. You might have some great block options, but vulnerable + hitting like trucks doesn't care.

I'd guess a bad draw and a lack of reliable damage being overwhelmed before your mitigation could really be leveraged? Like, I feel like against S&S you're kinda fucked if you didn't have opening hand Envenom (they both have artifact, right, so Malaise is really mediocre against them too?) to get off to a solid start whittling away at one of them. You might have some great block options, but vulnerable + hitting like trucks doesn't care.

Close! Answer below.
    Card draw problems is the issue! (Assuming by bad draw you mean bad options for card draw, not just it drew poorly) The deck had no way to draw more cards easily - a single Escape Plan and Backflip dont really count. So it just drowned in burns/was at the mercy of RNG. Card manipulation is important to have late game, and this deck had noooo way to do that. I'm pretty sure buying Torii (Instead of Calculated Gamble+ and skipping a Prepared+ in favour of a Footwork+ were mistakes that ended the run. Conversely, i think skipping Snecko Eye in favour of Astrolabe was the right choice - i had 3 0 cost cards and a single 2 cost cards, so i'm pretty sure Confused would have killed the deck dead. Plus, snecko discourages taking 1 cost commons, while Toxic Egg encourages taking all the delicious defensive cards you can get. On the other hand, that constant +2 cards would have been a godsend, so ???

I think the deck's offences were actually okay by that point - it had been a struggle for most of the run, but it got past champ with only 8 damage taken, perfected time eater, and perfected all but Reptomancer in act 3 - and even reptomancer only took off 9 damage.

Though, i could of course be wrong.

That's tough. Torii seems excellent against the heart, but yeah Calculated Gamble+ is incredible. I'd probably have stared at that screen for a minute too.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hmm

So Pain + Rupture + Sword Boomerang, the pain/rupture triggers first making the boomerang hit for +1 attack

Pain + Rupture + Twin Strike, the attack triggers first then you get +1 attack afterwards

Maybe something to do with boomerang being random?

Edit: Good, same combo as last run pain/rupture but this time I got the two reapers I was missing last run

Edit 2: Runic Pyramid? I guess so. Starting to look like a solid deck here

Burtletoy on
    That's tough. Torii seems excellent against the heart, but yeah Calculated Gamble+ is incredible. I'd probably have stared at that screen for a minute too.

Yeah, i almost want to replay the seed, but then it'd feel dirty if i did won so ??? Interesting run though (Worth noting it had like no damage up until late act 2... and was still perfecting elites, it's defenses were so strong)

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    How are you people getting multiple heart kills on max level ascension when I can't even get any synergistic cards to drop for me in a timely manner on vanilla mode? Every single god damn run the first floor MIGHT drop 2 or 3 cards that have actually synergy, but then the next two floors drop shit for other deck types and I get fucked by either being starved for cards that won't gimp my current build.

In the very early hours of the game, you can absolutely hunt for synergies and go all-in on them and it'll probably come out just fine. But as time goes on you'll need to shed those habits and start thinking about cards outside of their "designed archtype" and how any small set of cards can work together, or how much work a card can do by itself. How you value cards will certainly change over time, and like I've said several times in this thread in the past, you can't be afraid to experiment.

The two most common beginner hiccups are feeling like you should always pick a card, and not trying to fight elites. Relics are very powerful, and you'll want to figure out how to win elite fights with some regularity since it's one of the easiest ways to increase the power of your deck.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Hmm

So Pain + Rupture + Sword Boomerang, the pain/rupture triggers first making the boomerang hit for +1 attack

Pain + Rupture + Twin Strike, the attack triggers first then you get +1 attack afterwards

Maybe something to do with boomerang being random?

Edit: Good, same combo as last run pain/rupture but this time I got the two reapers I was missing last run

Edit 2: Runic Pyramid? I guess so. Starting to look like a solid deck here

.....and guess who forgot to take the stupid blue key.

Really thought this was the deck. Really didn't need the mercury hour glass halfway through the third floor....

On the first act, you should definitely prioritize damage cards over synergy cards. Say you're playing Ironclad and get offered something crazy like this after the first fight:
    • Barricade
    • Wild Strike
    • Shrug It Off

While Barricade is an amazing card, it requires set-up and 3 energy in order to start gaining value. Often times that means it'll be a dead card for most of the first act. It probably isn't worth taking until the end of the first act at the earliest.

Shrug It Off is a solid, all-around defensive card w/card draw. A great pick in most situations, but maybe not early.

Wild Strike is the go-to pick in my opinion. 12 damage for 1 energy is great (like playing two Strikes) and it can be upgraded to a whopping 17 damage. The shuffled Wound won't hurt you much in the first act and you can start working building around the weakness later on with Evolve, True Grit+, or Burning Pact.

Act One Elites are basically damage races, and Skill cards are actively bad against Goblin Nob. Wild Strike will help you burn through their HP quickly, thus saving your own health in the process. So most damage cards are worth it early, even if they are weighing you down later on. Because if you don't get through Act One, it doesn't matter if you have synergies in place for Acts Two and Three.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Syzygy wrote: »
    How are you people getting multiple heart kills on max level ascension when I can't even get any synergistic cards to drop for me in a timely manner on vanilla mode? Every single god damn run the first floor MIGHT drop 2 or 3 cards that have actually synergy, but then the next two floors drop shit for other deck types and I get fucked by either being starved for cards that won't gimp my current build.

Sounds like you're trying to force archtypes (All shivs, frost orbs only, etcera) rather than just letting things emerge as they come.

A general thing that gets bandied around is "Just pick good cards". Which is... true, but it depends on your ability to evalute what a good card is.

Which changes all the fucking time! Part of the charm of the game, but whooo boy it can make the game hard too.

Like my favourite example here is Flex.

Flex frigging sucks, generally. You have to spend a card draw to get... +2 damage on all your other cards (That are attacks) in your hand. So in in a hand of just strikes at 3 energy... it was as a good as drawing swift strike. 6 damage for "free" was not worth a card draw, nor the opportunity cost of taking it.

If Flex is upgraded, it starts to look a bit better - Now it was worth 12 damage. Still kinda awful, really. Acceptable early game, but that's a best case scenario that requires all your resources. Late game, a card for 12 damage is... eeeegh. a card that effecitvley took 3 energy to deal that 12 damage? Wurgh.

So that being the case, why would you ever pick flex?

Well, imagine for instance you have Sword Boomerang in your deck. Flex & Sword Boomerang together is worth 6 damage on that sword boomerang alone. If that's Flex+ and Sword Boomerang+ you just added 16 damage! Now we are starting to get somewhere. Flex+ with Heavy Blade+ is 20 damage. So in a 3 energy deck, Flex+ paired with a Sword Boomerang+ and a Heavy Blade+ is worth 36 damage. A card that does 36 damage is a lot more respectable! But you have to draw those together, and that's hard, so that's still not great, we're at the whims of RNG.

So what can we do to help that?

Well, what if we took Runic Pyramid from the boss? Now we dont discard our cards, so we can hold that Flex until we can cast it for maximum value - perhaps we even see a Limit Break, so now we can Flex, Limit Break, Sword Boomerang... and we even keep half of that strength.

Maybe instead of that, we take Panacea - now we have artefact charges, so casting Flex will give us a permanent strength buff.

...And that's a card that is generally kinda shit, and i wouldn't bother with most of the time.

A lot of the game is just evaluating "What do i need to win the next floor" - and once you do, going "So this floor offers me XYZ... which of these do i need to win the floor after that". For instance, if you see that your act 2 boss is Collector, you know you need AoE/Scaling. If you see Champ, you need a way to scale dramatically so you can avoid it's excute phase. If you see Bronze Automatom, you need to be able to scale your defences while outputting damage. So part one is identify the challenge you're facing, and part two is figuring out how your deck solves that challenge.

Here's one of my winning runs recently where you can see me working through this process, trying to solve how the hell the deck was actually going to do damage.

And eventually solving it via using Panache + Echoform as the backbone of my Deck's scaling damage.

Otherwise... post some decklists for us so we can try and see where your deck is crashing out.

One other thing might be:

Act 1: You need damage early (to kill elites), and late you're trying to solve how you beat the boss fight (Defense/Offense balance for Guardian, Burst/AoE for Slime, Scaling/Thorns/Debuffs for Hexa ghost)
    Act 2: You're trying to get your decks scaling options in place, fight elites when it's safe to find power, and develop some of the themes you picked up. Swearing about "Deck is a messs of jank" optional, but encouraged.
    Act 3: You're refining what the deck does, looking for the last answers you need (Eg: Corpse Explosion vs Donu Deca - i mean, CE is a great card in general, but it solves the Donu Deca fight really well)

edited April 2019
    The moment you realize your run ended a dozen spaces ago despite having full health....

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Burtletoy on
    ...why?

Steam profile
    ...why?

Psssst. Look at the keys

...why?

Psssst. Look at the keys

ahhhh that's what they meant. Yeah. Oops :P

I've definitely done that before, just messed up a route and oops not hitting the fire elite on Act 3...

Steam profile
    Fun fact: I've never once had an Irconclad deck meaningfully run Barricade.
    I say this because I'm pretty sure it's Dover's favourite card. :P

I always take the fire elite in Act 1. I think I took the red key in act II pre-boss fire cause I didn't need anything else.

And then I fucking grab the hour glass on act III cause I'm an idiot.

Yup. Worked the time eater still at full health. Killed the awokened one, probably could've ended at full health there too, but I didn't really care cause it was over. Didn't drink my potions either. Good heart run killed by not paying attention and always taking the relic

It was my first couple Ironclad wins back in the day.

Steam profile
    edited April 2019
    @Syzygy

Something else that might help is explaining my thinking a bit more about how i evaluate cards.

So let's talk about Shivs! because shivs are a easy to identify archtype that a lot of new players glom onto.

But rather than talk about them as archtypes, i'm going to talk about when i would take each card that makes shivs, and when i wouldnt.

So, Common sources of shivs first. Sblocked so i dont eat up everyone's screen realestate. (I am a kind and merciful god)

Blade Dance: I consider this one a niche pick, but powerful when it works.

Reasons to take:
    • I have Dead Branch
    • I'm trying to make Pen Nib/Finisher a thing, or otherwise charge Pen Nib (Eg, charge pen nib with shivs, then cast Skewer+
    • I have a Kunai, and/or a Shuriken, and i believe that a: Those are vital to my decks scaling, and b: Blade Dance is going to let me proc them often.
    • Thousand Blades is my damage/Flechettes is my damage and needs help, ihave escape plans or reasons to care about skills
    • I have After Image
    • I have Ornamental Fan
    • I have multiple of the above

Reasons to not take:
    • I cant upgrade it with any of the above options (BD+ is sigfianctly stronger than BD)
    • I think my deck plays too many cards already
    • I lack any of the above options
    • Opportunity cost (Buying it/taking it costs me a card that would be more useful
    • I dont have After Image and/or sources of Intagible to deal with the heart's Beat of Death
    • As above, but Time Eater

Consider the a possible use case form the above option: Thousand cuts+ in play, with a Kunai. Simply spending 1 energy (And then playing 4 cards), yields 8 AoE damage to everything, 12 damage to a target of my choice, and +1 dex.

Contrast the "normal" use case - 1 energy yields 8 damage for 3 cards played. So... a slightly better strike that's way worse against anything that cares about # of cards played/# of attacks (Tangled Mass, Spiker, Time Eater, Corrupt Heart)

Cloak and Dagger

Reasons to take:
    • It's basically a better blade dance,assuming you can upgrade it - 1 less shiv, but with 6 block bolted onto it makes it exceptional with Kunai.
    • I have lots of dex, and a setup that benefits a gradual grinding approach.
    • I just need a block card, okay? Dont judge me

Reasons to not take:
    • 6 block is not that much, and stapling 4(8) damage to it is so-so.
    • All of the issues with #cards played apply here
    • I dont need a block card
    • Opportunity cost!

Uncommon

Infinite Blades

Reasons for:
    • I need reliable damage turn after turn (Slime Boss, Tri-Sentires)
    • Dead branch enabler, giving me +1 card a turn in effect
    • All the BD reasons.
    • Way to make use of Nunchaku if i'm desperate
    • Deck just needs more damage in it, and is okay with a low-to-no-scaling option.

Reasons against:
    • Awoken One.
    • Time Eater
    • Corrupt Heart
    • Opportunity cost
    • Lack of Synergy with rest of the deck

Accuracy:

Okay, so this one is hard. It's so incredibly niche - the answer on when to pick it is you're entirely dependant on shivs for your damage, you have no other way to scale them, and you need the boost it gives. It's just too narrow to really see use, and there's much better options (If it worked like Wrist blade, and made 0 cost attacks do more, it'd be a lot more pickable.)

Rare and Relics

Less of a list at this point. All of the above points count in the favour of Storm of Steel. However, you have to be able to hold and cast it to maximum effect, meaning it's usually limited to having Well Layed Plans/Runic Pyramid, and using it as a finisher or burst damage card. Jumps in priority with Dead Branch, is a good combo with Envenom, Thousand Cuts, or snecko eye.

Ninja Scroll: Generally good, as turn 1 burst is important. Bad if you have bag of prep (Turns off the prep card draw), can have a similar use with Snecko, but that turn 1 burst is real nice. Real good when you have Kunai/SHuriken/Nunchaku/Ornamental Fan. But mostly because turn 1 burst is great.

So hopefully that helps to see when and why i'd take any of these cards - And it's worth noting that none of my evaluations care about me already having shivs - i care about what i'm doing with them, and what these enables.

(Also hopefully this is like decently clear and not to confused)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Hemokinesises at dawn, sir.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

Hemokinesises at dawn, sir.

I see your hemo, and raise you Immolate.

Really I just wanted to post hemokinesises.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Heh. I had the same thought, because my last boss on the Daily run was the Time Eater, and I had a deck (you start with 50 random cards, and add 3 copies each time you add a card) that was designed to play almost all of them every turn: card draw into Aggregate into (eventually) Hologram to pick Aggregate back up and Unceasing Top to just draw everything once I'd cleared out my hand ... Only "bad" card was Reinforced Body (X: Gain 7 block X times) because, no, I don't want to spend all 50 Energy just blocking, thanks ...

Buuuuuuuut ...

... it turns out that same sequence into Tempest+ works pretty well for ending the Time Eater in 2 turns.

A538E8E25DB194A3927723E719C12E02AC28E49E

Elvenshae on
    Just got my first A20 Heart kill! I've killed the heart before, and I've beaten A20 before, but never both at once :D

Pretty standard deck, Burst+Cataclysm+Well-Laid Plans+Apparitions. About as standard Silent decks get :P
    9bgd6itk5t5s.png

Steam profile
    Oh shit @The Zombie Penguin, you've got competition son!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Yeah, just about 60 more wins until I catch up!

Steam profile