As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited December 2023 in Games and Technology
bloodlinesbox.jpg
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines brings White Wolf's famous pen-and-paper role playing game to the back to the PC . For the first time players can explore the World of Darkness from a first person perspective in a game which utilizes Valve's striking Source Engine.

Unlike third person role playing games, Bloodlines will put you in the shoes of the character you control. You will get up close and personal with the brilliantly animated characters that populate the game world and tangled in the web of intrigue that is the staple of Troika Games' roleplaying titles.

You begin your journey this time in modern day Los Angeles as a newly embraced vampire. By creating you without the consent of your clan's Elders, your sire has violated one of vampire society's most hallowed laws. As punishment for the crime he has been put to death. Normally you would be expected to share the same fate but the newly installed Prince of Los Angeles thinks you might have some merit: you're a newly embraced vampire with no sire to guide you; you are unfamiliar with the world of vampires and their laws and customs. You would be useful and expendable pawn in his grand scheme.

You will employ a variety of firearms and skills such as computer hacking and lock picking as well as your devastating array of vampiric powers called Disciplines. And what would a game about vampires be if there wasn't some blood drinking?

You choose to play as a member of one of seven diverse and specialized vampire clans and you'll need to employ all of your preternatural skills to survive. You'll need to charm, sneak, intimidate and fight your way through the dangerous world the vampires inhabit and along the way decide just who you really owe your allegiance to.

With many different clans, as many as 5 different endings and the ability pursue several avenues of specialization as you upgrade your character, Bloodlines provides a great deal of replayability.

Or, if preferable:
vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-ii-logo.jpg?itok=wMAxp_D4

https://youtu.be/SYvWfDxhm_s
Sired in an act of vampire insurrection, your existence ignites the war for Seattle's blood trade. Enter uneasy alliances with the creatures who control the city and uncover the sprawling conspiracy which plunged Seattle into a bloody civil war between powerful vampire factions.

Immerse yourself in the World of Darkness and live out your vampire fantasy in a city filled with intriguing characters that react to your choices. You and your unique disciplines are a weapon in our forward-driving, fast-moving, melee-focussed combat system. Your power will grow as you advance, but remember to uphold the Masquerade and guard your humanity... or face the consequences.
Seattle has always been run by vampires. Hunt your prey across Seattle locations faithfully reimagined in the World of Darkness. Meet the old blood founders present since the city’s birth and the new blood steering the tech money redefining the city. Everyone has hidden agendas - so choose your allies wisely.

Choose a side among competing factions, each with their own unique traits and stories, in the war for Seattle’s blood trade. The world will judge you by the company you keep, but remember no one’s hands stay clean forever.

Written by the creative mind behind the original Bloodlines, Vampire: The Masquerade® - Bloodlines™ 2 brings the ambitions of the first game to life and sees the return of a few fan favorite characters.

Updates

FCBS0pb.png

Thinbloods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xELjqNZjmaM
In Bloodlines 2, you will wake as a Thinblood - learning about the playable clans and political factions of Seattle - before joining one of the ancient clans.

Thinbloods are a recent, weaker strain of vampire who face a constant struggle to survive in the World of Darkness. While they are often treated as second-class citizens by full-blood Kindred, Seattle’s leadership has been uncharacteristically tolerant of Thinbloods. As Seattle has only relatively recently come under Camarilla control, it remains a city of opportunity where Thinbloods can navigate their way into the higher circles of vampire society; however, they are rarely shown the same respect or legal standing that full-blood clan members enjoy.

Chiropteran
This Thinblood discipline calls on the vampire’s strong affinity to bats, allowing her to move through the air and summon swarms.

Mentalism
This Thinblood discipline allows the vampire to manipulate objects through telekinesis - allowing them to even pull weapons from enemies’ hands.

Nebulation
This Thinblood discipline allow the vampire to call on her affinity to mist, allowing her to summon and command it.

To be updated as needed.

Sponsored in part by your local chantry, blood donations welcome.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    You will start as a thin blood but in typical video game fashion you will one shot everything and everyone by the end. I need to replay bloodlines...

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Dang. Now I want to play Malkavian Batman.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Tonight I'm going to suck......

*pause*

Your blood!

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I wonder if the length of the summer nights are going to play a part of the plot after seeing the thinblood video

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    RIP Vampire tinder opening post.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm not up on Vampire or WoD lore that much anymore, but I didn't think thinbloods ever got any stronger?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, I think I'm going to go actually beat the original Bloodlines finally.

Is there a recommended guide for "These are the books and quests that give you skill points, so don't waste them on ..."?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The OP is confusing me- who wants and doesn't want to have sex with me?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I'm not up on Vampire or WoD lore that much anymore, but I didn't think thinbloods ever got any stronger?

Diablarie is the way described in the books

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I'll just go ahead and guess that whatever weird shit happens to you is all part of some scheme by a much older, much more powerful vampire.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This thread title is just... *chef kiss*

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The OP is confusion me- who wants and doesn't want to have sex with me?

Alas, those times of debauchery died with LaCroix.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Diablarie is the way described in the books

It looks theyre theyre merging some of the requiem mechanics. In that system thinbloods were more or less just clanless and they could be given clans. Though not sure how it works in v5. Either way its not a huge departure from what has come before

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Requiem was generationless though wasn’t it? Iirc all vampires there started as thinblood and got stronger over time.

I honestly wouldn’t mind a straight up Requiem Crpg as a bloodlines spiritual successor. I don’t think this is that game though.

I bet they go with your character finding blood of an antediluvian somehow. There’s an artifact in some supplement for the old editons that is essentially a small vial of the blood of malkav, drinking it decreases gen by one at the cost of making you a Malkavian.

Since the game apparently deals with blood smuggling operations this would make sense, and the player could pick which antediluvian it came from without altering the story too much.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Requiem sold a total of 15 copies unfortunately

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Requiem is such a delightful game that deserved more success. It was less approachable, however, so not surprising it didn't do as well. But it handles a lot of the problems of Masquerade in a nice fashion.

I'm not sure it would translate quite as well to a CRPG with the different factions and what not, but a strategy/city management game in that world would be fun. Alongside the aforementioned Ordo Dracul School Dating Sim.

• Options
    Requiem was generationless though wasn’t it? Iirc all vampires there started as thinblood and got stronger over time.

I honestly wouldn’t mind a straight up Requiem Crpg as a bloodlines spiritual successor. I don’t think this is that game though.

I bet they go with your character finding blood of an antediluvian somehow. There’s an artifact in some supplement for the old editons that is essentially a small vial of the blood of malkav, drinking it decreases gen by one at the cost of making you a Malkavian.

Since the game apparently deals with blood smuggling operations this would make sense, and the player could pick which antediluvian it came from without altering the story too much.

I would be very surprised if it was something this exotic rather than “you eat a fella”

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah, my guess is a blood hunt is declared on the individuals responsible for the mass siring that occurs in the game's story and you get to eat your sire.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Your not really a thinblood, you're Caine fucking with everyone for <reasons>.

I kind of want something like that now, it would explain why you're a god at the end. Does not seem likely, though.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Tube wrote: »

I would be very surprised if it was something this exotic rather than “you eat a fella”

Yeah probably, just surprised they would have the pc just straight up diablerize someone ostensibly early in the game, given they usually build up how evil it is so they can use it to show how morally corrupt guys like LaCroix are.

Its kind of like if they sent you on some of the nastier daedric or dark brotherhood quests in skyrim right out of the gate.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Your not really a thinblood, you're Caine fucking with everyone for <reasons>.

I kind of want something like that now, it would explain why you're a god at the end. Does not seem likely, though.

Probably not since they got so freaked out about them using Caine in Bloodlines 1 and retconned it.

I liked the idea of caine being a wanderer though, watching things, largely too bored of existence and overcome with the burden of years to take any kind of active role in Jyhad or the world at large but still occasionally willing to take some small actions here and there to tip the scales as in the game. The gehenna books had him spending hundreds of years hanging around in a cave somewhere iirc, which would be fine for an antediluvian but doesn’t really fit Caine imho (he was cursed to wander, napping off somewhere is cheating).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    In Bloodlines 1 at least, Caine doesnt fuck with people he takes them to where they want to go.

The only thing that was strage about it was him hanging around with Jack at the end. If Jack had no clue who the driver was it would have worked a lot better(as him actually being Caine)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular

Yeah probably, just surprised they would have the pc just straight up diablerize someone ostensibly early in the game, given they usually build up how evil it is so they can use it to show how morally corrupt guys like LaCroix are.

Its kind of like if they sent you on some of the nastier daedric or dark brotherhood quests in skyrim right out of the gate.

Since you're a thinblood and they are frequently on the outs of vampire society it could easily be the case that your player character doesn't fully understand the implications of diablerie and only finds out afterward. Perhaps by hearing the voice or thoughts of the Vampire you drink afterward.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    X-posting Pixie's Steam Contest winner for a copy of Bloodlines 2:
    VAMPIRES!

I had a lot of vampire entries. More than I expected, really! And a lot -- nay, most -- of them were quite good. Picking a favorite was difficult! Among the entries:

I was offered a vampire dentist. A door-kicking gangrel bandit. A nosferatu who really just wants to be a stage actor. A brujah with a preference for fighting with a bladed fan. A brilliant ventrue fixer who always knows a guy. And a collector of aliases and identities. I heard about a private investigator who investigated too close to the wrong thing and now has fangs to show for it. I was regaled with a tale of Whitey Bulger's conversion to the life of a nosferatu. Someone else informed me that a vampire was responsible for the Great Molasses Flood of 1919. There was a 10th century norse vampire with a bit of hatred for werewolves. And then the German scholar whose curiosity led him into an unfortunate introduction to life as a Tremere.

Someone posited a nosferatu who was a janitor in life but is now a clean-up guy. You know... when the gangrel tears someone apart in a frenzy and someone has to clean up the mess for the sake of the masquerade, this is the guy they call, along with his cohort of ghouls.

How about a motorcycle club of one? Formerly a group of vampires, now it's just the leader (a Ravnos vampire) who devoured the others and now rides the night alongside illusions of his former companions.

But in the end, I had to pick this next one, because the character appeals to me and it fits the campaign. It gives me a solid NPC, a solid background, some good story hooks, and even a place to use for setting a range of scenes. Meet Adam Hazzard, by @Fleeb:
    Adam Hazzard (often just called Hazzard) was born in the early 1960s in the working-class neighborhood of Roxbury . He grew up a latchkey kid, both parents were hardworking and decent, but distant, and Adam was more or less left to fend for himself as he came of age in the early 1980s. He quickly embraced the punk and skinhead scene, distinguishing himself with both his street fighting ability and his intelligence. Public school held no interest for him, bars and pool halls were his classrooms. He learned the arts of the guitar and the swung bottle and became a master of both. He picked up enough Irish and Italian to be able to make himself understood in those insular communities, although no one would ever mistake him for a native speaker. He eventually found himself fronting a punk band during the heyday of the movement. Racial issues were often at the forefront... forced busing and integration in the 70s led to resentment among the working class whites of Boston, and racist skinheads seized upon that resentment to spread a message of hatred. Hazzard and others stood against this, forming the grass roots of what would eventually become the SHARPs. When both of his parents were killed in an industrial accident he threw himself headlong into his art, activism, and alcohol. He was accustomed to sleeping the day away on a series of friends' couches or in abandoned buildings, rising at sundown to drink and thrash the night away, bloodied knuckles and empty pockets were often all there was to show after a night of performing.

At some point during this time Hazzard attracted the attention of what appeared to be a young woman whom he'd seen lurking around the edges of the scene. Properly dressed for the time and place... but the jeans were subtly yet artificially cut and faded, the haircut just a little too exquisitely disheveled, the studs on her belt too impeccably polished, her eyes just a little too bright. She called herself Jen. Some poser girl obviously... a fun tumble for the night, why not. As it happened she was a Toreador, enchanted by his passion and his art... punk music isn't particularly known for it's finesse, but it was obvious there was real skill and devotion hiding behind the slammed out chords and screamed lyrics. She stayed with him for a month after the embrace, showing him the joys and obligations of unlife. Then one night she was gone without trace, none of the kindred he'd been introduced to claimed to know anything about her whereabouts.

Hazzard continues his old life to the best of his abilities. He is devoted to his art and is a fierce protector of his neighborhood, although he has watched in some despair as the industrial heart of the city has become hollowed out and commercialized, trendy hipster clubs replacing the blue collar dive bars of his earlier life. He's had to distance himself from his remaining old mortal hangouts... his apparent immunity to the ravages of age has caused some commentary amongst the rapidly greying Boston punk community. He has instead become more active behind the scenes, opening his own punk venue (the Boots and Braces) and promoting up-and-coming musical acts. He still remains active in social justice and anti-racism circles, and regularly publishes the "Tooth and Nail" an anti-racist ska and punk fanzine.

Hazzard is quite charismatic, although he never was particularly handsome. His passion and intensity draw attention even when he is not performing on stage. His skill with the guitar was incredible enough when he was mortal and has only improved after his embrace... he is a musical chameleon and can play hundreds of songs from various genres flawlessly, although ska and punk are still his first and strongest loves. He prefers the weapons of his youth, the chain, the brass knuckles, and the broken bottle. He is a supporter of the Camarilla, although his venue is open to any who respect the need for a community and a low profile. He tries to feed as little as possible while keeping the Beast at bay, and never taking enough to cause lasting harm to the victim.

Congrats to Fleeb! Now accept my damn friend invite! <3

And also this ingenious unofficial winner:
    Well to be far... @Malakaius offered up (unofficially, in chat) a Malkavian puppeteer who only speaks through the severed head of a Ventrue. A Ventruliquist. How could that NOT get a prize of some sort, am I right?

Edit - Oops forgot to untag the winners, my bad for the notifications!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So apparently the game takes place at Xmas. I think that's great tbh, the best thing about Arkham Origins is that Christmas setting, it's a rarer setting that generic city without seasons.

• Options
    So apparently the game takes place at Xmas. I think that's great tbh, the best thing about Arkham Origins is that Christmas setting, it's a rarer setting that generic city without seasons.

Seattle has really extreme seasons. Winter nights are long. The solstice has a sunrise/sunset of 8 AM to 4:20 PM. So a night of about 17 hours with 12 hours of that outside of astronomical twilight. Conversely in the summer the days peak at 16 hours long and there are two hours outside of astronomical twilight.

Seattle is more or less the northermost city (not point) in the continental US. Being at a latitude higher than Maine. Its not alaska days/nights but theyre still quite long

Would be interesting to have that dichotomy play a part in the plot

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    So apparently the game takes place at Xmas.

Oh so Shane Black is working on it?

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

It really is such a shame

In the 15 years I’ve had that book not once have I managed to get a game together

Meanwhile I’ve had like a half dozen masquerade games (though several used conversions of the v:tr rules)

And I really like the actual like, politics and clans and stuff in requiem much better

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

In the 15 years I’ve had that book not once have I managed to get a game together

Meanwhile I’ve had like a half dozen masquerade games (though several used conversions of the v:tr rules)

And I really like the actual like, politics and clans and stuff in requiem much better

I get what they were going for with Requiem, but it felt like they just ripped all the soul and backstory out of the game. At least NMage still had a rich mythos to play with.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, I think I'm going to go actually beat the original Bloodlines finally.

Is there a recommended guide for "These are the books and quests that give you skill points, so don't waste them on ..."?

Honestly I'd recommend just playing it and not worrying.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I get what they were going for with Requiem, but it felt like they just ripped all the soul and backstory out of the game. At least NMage still had a rich mythos to play with.

Whereas I see it more as them having pared out all the metaplot cruft to leave something more adaptable and intriguing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Whereas I see it more as them having pared out all the metaplot cruft to leave something more adaptable and intriguing

They were in a weird situation where there was so much metaplot that it was hard for a newcomer to wrap their heads around but the veterans often loved that stuff and weren't going to try and convince their friends to try Requiem.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

You can still have the metaplot as a base, then just chuck all that out of the window if your campaign doesn't want it, but it should still at least be there.

Take New Mage, the whole foundation is about Atlantis, but most of the modern plot considers it silly and just ancient history(especially the Free Council).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

They were in a weird situation where there was so much metaplot that it was hard for a newcomer to wrap their heads around but the veterans often loved that stuff and weren't going to try and convince their friends to try Requiem.

Most people I know considered Requiem inferior because Malkavians were left out.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Leaving the Malkavians out was the brightest idea that setting had.

As an older chap I now look at Requiem as a pretty great font of ideas that solved a lot of VTM problems that people didn't realise were problems yet. At the time though, as someone who mostly wanted something to read, I found "hey just make something up" really uninspiring. The setting didn't feel filled out and lived in, it felt like a sandbox and a list of suggestions and that just didn't inspire me.

V5, for all the mistakes in its corebook, pretty much marries the best ideas of both settings.

• Options
    Anyone have experience with the v2 onyx path nWOD stuff? I had heard they actually solved a lot if the issues with the white wolf releases but I never bothered to buy the new books.

• Options
    I've heard nothing but good things about the second editions. I've heard like "best tabletop books ever written" multiple times.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    It seemed like a significant problem folks had with Requiem was that it lacked easily identifiable hooks to base stories on. At least initially. The later editions and additional sourcebooks and such helped create and call out hooks (both narratively or mechanically), and helped articulate conflicts that were probably inferable from the original materials, but just being explicit helps people think there is a more unified metaplot.

I find that Requiem's Covenants are way more interesting than Masquerade's sects, and that it helps separate "family" (clan) from "politics" (covenant), and allows for more diverse regions than just Cam/Anarch/Sabbat city and the interplay therein.

2nd Eds introduction of Touchstones and Beats/Conditions, and introduction of Strix helped put some nice individualized sources of conflict that could be paired with the political sandbox and quickly introduce conflict. Even simple updates by making conflict and the resolution of it the source of XP helped reinforce that you wanted to seek out the conflicts that drive drama rather than always play it safe.

But at jump, Requiem was a toolbox in need of a story coming hot on the heels of a game that felt jam-packed to the gills of so much history, lore, and options that it felt like throwing the baby out with the bathwater for some fans, and they never gave Requiem a shot.

• Options
    It seemed like a significant problem folks had with Requiem was that it lacked easily identifiable hooks to base stories on. At least initially. The later editions and additional sourcebooks and such helped create and call out hooks (both narratively or mechanically), and helped articulate conflicts that were probably inferable from the original materials, but just being explicit helps people think there is a more unified metaplot.

I find that Requiem's Covenants are way more interesting than Masquerade's sects, and that it helps separate "family" (clan) from "politics" (covenant), and allows for more diverse regions than just Cam/Anarch/Sabbat city and the interplay therein.

2nd Eds introduction of Touchstones and Beats/Conditions, and introduction of Strix helped put some nice individualized sources of conflict that could be paired with the political sandbox and quickly introduce conflict. Even simple updates by making conflict and the resolution of it the source of XP helped reinforce that you wanted to seek out the conflicts that drive drama rather than always play it safe.

But at jump, Requiem was a toolbox in need of a story coming hot on the heels of a game that felt jam-packed to the gills of so much history, lore, and options that it felt like throwing the baby out with the bathwater for some fans, and they never gave Requiem a shot.

I liked the covenant vs clan thing, but never really got what bloodlines were supposed to be, because I figured they would just be like subclans you inherit from your sire because you were all descended from some badass vampire, but the game seems to treat them like mini-covenants within a clan you join willingly, in which case bloodlines seems a weird name for them.

• Options
    Bloodlines were kind of a "here's where you can put your homebrew" and I think they were a bad call, personally.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    That makes sense, I think it would be a lot cleaner if there were just the clans and covent.

I went back and looked at some of my old stuff, which was 1st ed of course, and one thing I get the feeling with in the nWOD books is that they seem to be big idea books without much direction to actually tie things together into a story. Like with the covenants and clans they thought “lets give players a lot of options to play” without going the next step into “this is how all these clans and factions fit together”. That was really the trend back then though.

Which is great if your gm is a master writer willing to put hours into developing a setting but if you are just trying to put together a halfway decent story without resorting to running premade modules it doesn’t give you a lot of hooks.

Jealous Deva on