As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Bad food thread I went to White Castle and tried an Impossible Burger and it was pretty solid. Not quite 100% like meat but miles better then anything else I've ever had. Would eat again

I am here for the Impossible burger/beyond burger revolution. If they sold them in the shops, I would switch that for at home burgs and quick McDonalds grab and go style burgers. Keep the real meat for high end occasional burgers.

I'd always have em on hand yeah. The beyond burger as described sounds way to oily.

Beyond Burger is definitely pretty oily. I still like it a lot if it's cooked well, but the Impossible Burger is my top choice for vegan burgers.

On a related note, I'm pretty excited that Bareburger just added an entire vegan menu to their restaurants. Literally everything on the non-vegan side has a vegan equivalent. Burgers, sausages, bacon, even down to the mayo, fried eggs, and brioche buns.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I had the beyond burger here:
    Honest Burger-Plant burger

It tasted so good but just not quite as good as a real beef burger from the same place. However, it was just as good as any burger I could buy in a supermarket or in a cheaper fast food place like maccas

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    cheese is vegan?

It can be! Daiya makes some impressive vegan cheddar. Not sure about other brands or types, but I was surprised when I tried Daiya's cheddar and the taste and texture were almost spot-on. In a recipe I wouldn't be able to tell.

wait is it actual cheese or just pretend like vegan 'sausage' or vegan 'mayonnaise' which are neither by definition

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    wait is it actual cheese or just pretend like vegan 'sausage' or vegan 'mayonnaise' which are neither by definition

It's not real cheese. The main ingredients are water, tapioca flour, canola/safflower oil, palm oil and pea protein.

jgeis on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

It's not real cheese. The main ingredients are water, tapioca flour, canola/safflower oil, palm oil and pea protein.

You could probably make a pretty convincing milk analog with soy proteins and oil. At that point you could just make "cheese" like normal eh?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    The ingredient list can vary, but cheese by definition is milk-based, so there's never a true vegan cheese.

Seriously though, even if you're not vegan, try that "cheddar"! I'm not vegan but used it to cook dinner for a vegan friend once.

• grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular

ew no

I'm completely down with vegan food, but vegan food naming and advertising puts me off.

every time I'm in the store I see the vegan sausage "better than the real thing!" .... but we're calling it sausage anyway?

I'm a crotchety old man

I'm completely down with vegan food, but vegan food naming and advertising puts me off.

every time I'm in the store I see the vegan sausage "better than the real thing!" .... but we're calling it sausage anyway?

I'm a crotchety old man

doubt

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The only thing I think the vegan version of is better than the regular version of is wheat bread. Vital wheat gluten makes some pretty good shit.

Outside of like the impossible burger, most vegan/vegetarian foods are better served being their own things rather than trying to imitate something else.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I'm a crotchety old man

doubt

Tried a microwave breakfast sandwich that made that claim(vegan sausage, egg, and cheese). While the bar is already pretty low, it was one of the worst things I've ever tried to eat.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

I'm a crotchety old man

It's just easier. I'm not vegan because I hate the taste of burgers and cheese. That stuff tastes great and I want something that emulates it sometimes. Naming it a "vegetable protein disc with pea-protein based meltable topping" is dumb. It's a veggie burger with vegan cheese. That way everyone knows what it's supposed to be like.

minor incident on
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The only thing I think the vegan version of is better than the regular version of is wheat bread. Vital wheat gluten makes some pretty good shit.

But bread is already vegan (typically, barring a few random brands that throw in dairy. Brioche rolls, some pretzel breads, etc).

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Outside of like the impossible burger, most vegan/vegetarian foods are better served being their own things rather than trying to imitate something else.

Good vegan versions of things will be an important part of saving the planet

Factory farms for cattle are literally killing the planet

I'm a crotchety old man

It's just easier. I'm not vegan because I hate the taste of burgers and cheese. That stuff tastes great and I want something that emulates it sometimes. Naming it a "vegetable protein disc with pea-protein based meltable topping" is dumb. It's a veggie burger with vegan cheese. That way everyone knows what it's supposed to be like.

but the whole point is that it isn't supposed to be like that right? Just make up a cromulant word and stick with it imo. If the product is good it'll catch on

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

For meat, I'd say. If we moved all livestock agriculture to sustainable animals products (milk, eggs) and used vat-grown meat or veggie equivalents it would solve the majority of the current issues with livestock farming, because we could drastically reduce the amount of animals we need to keep at any one time.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

I'm a crotchety old man

but the whole point is that it isn't supposed to be like that right? Just make up a cromulant word and stick with it imo. If the product is good it'll catch on

Why is that it supposed to be like that? Most of the vegans I know like meat. We just don't choose to eat animals. I prefer the vegan products that are as much of a meat analogue as possible. I like the Impossible Burger and Beyond burger because they're extra ely meaty and don't taste like a mashed vegetable patty. People are smart enough to grok prefixes. We survived soymilk, veggie burgers, turkey burgers, almost milk, etc without any trouble.

No sense in redesigning the wheel when you could just say "veggie burger with vegan cheese" and literally everyone knows exactly what it is.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

But bread is already vegan (typically, barring a few random brands that throw in dairy. Brioche rolls, some pretzel breads, etc).

You'd be shocked at how many brands just decide to put butter in their bread. Of the four ingredients that should be in bread, butter isn't one of them, but many companies seem to fuck that up. Sometimes even egg!

3clipse wrote: »

For meat, I'd say. If we moved all livestock agriculture to sustainable animals products (milk, eggs) and used vat-grown meat or veggie equivalents it would solve the majority of the current issues with livestock farming, because we could drastically reduce the amount of animals we need to keep at any one time.

Yes, but that would make hamburgers cost skyrocket

Which most people won't go for, and the goddamned factory farms lobby is already turning their animal abuse industry into an issue of patriotism and national Identity

Seriously what in the fuck is wrong with everything fucking hell

we'll probably get to vat grown meat eventually

I've heard nothing but good things about that impossible burger from dudes that would consider themselves carnivores (that aren't being machismo dicks about it)

I don't think we'll see a vegan steak or chicken breast unless those vat grown hunks of meat are considered vegan

we'll probably get to vat grown meat eventually

I've heard nothing but good things about that impossible burger from dudes that would consider themselves carnivores (that aren't being machismo dicks about it)

I don't think we'll see a vegan steak or chicken breast unless those vat grown hunks of meat are considered vegan

There's a lot of argument over that, honestly.

FWIW, I'd be fine with lab grown meat, assuming the yield from the original harvested tissue source is exceptionally high (which is also the only way it would ever make financial sense).

I really need to try the impossible burger.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I'm a crotchety old man

doubt

everyone's favorite advertising technique that's immune to legal charges of false advertisement by virtue of being a matter of subjective opinion, puffery!

BahamutZERO.gif
    I have not purchased beef for my meat stocks in several years

Ethically harvest venison is the only red meat I keep at home

I'm working on an alternative to chicken breasts, but haven't had much like hunting birds

I've switched to home hatched eggs thanks my grandparents and some friends

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    No local ethically ran farms that can provide beef and chicken?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Easter dinner was a ham my dad decided to do something different with. Normally he just makes a honey ham, but this time he put pineapples and cherries on the outside. It was very delicious, but he didn't realize just how effective those enzymes break down meat until he went to empty out the bowl holding the leftover ham and it was essentially pink meat slime. To get it out of the bag you have to squeeze out chunks.

So that's what I've been having for lunches with potato salad over the last week

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

You could probably make a pretty convincing milk analog with soy proteins and oil. At that point you could just make "cheese" like normal eh?

A soy based milk? Preposterous!

webguy20 wrote: »
    No local ethically ran farms that can provide beef and chicken?

Not that I have found, they want to you to buy like half a cow, or several whole chickens and i don't have the freezer space

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Another ingredient that makes bread not vegan is honey.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Vegan spreads or slices that you use where you would often use cheese can be good, but they really need to not be trying hard to mimic cheese and instead just be their own cheese-like thing.

Opty wrote: »

I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

I guess by definition of vegan the latter is correct?

I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

You've stumbled on another blood feud argument between vegans. Congrats!

I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

Vegans are more than happy to spill the blood of humans.

This discussion has been closed.