As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Wow this is exactly what I hoped they would do with the server browser some day, it's basically mod support. Definitely going to be toying with this and playing other modes. I hope they keep adding functionality to it over time. For example I don't see a way to mix and match abilities/weapons. Obviously the animations aren't going to work but I think they should work something out, like just have the hero's usual weapon fire different projectiles etc. The hero-specific modifiers can't be changed by the rules but they are still available in the existing settings.

They have the following presets in there as examples:
    • Molten Floor
    • One Ultimate
    • Hide and Seek (Widow vs Tracers)
    • Double Jump
    • Fire Dome
    • Balanced Mystery Heroes (Forces 2-2-2)
    • Mirrored Deathmatch
    • Zombie (Soldier vs Reaper)

• Options
    Also from now on they should absolutely reserve an Arcade slot for community highlights, or just adopt the good ones into the official rotation.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Musicool wrote: »
    Shower thought: I haven't heard anyone get bitched out for their hero pick in at least a fortnight. And in that time hero suggestions have tended to be constructive and based on the developing situation, not knee-jerk non-meta hate. And players have even taken the advice well!

Is this the real world? Is this just fantasy?

play junkrat

you can literally be 24 final blows one death gold everything your team is winning and people will complain beacuse they heard a rumour about a pharah in the next county over

its fuckign incredible

Hoooooo boy.

You're giving me flashbacks to pre-nerf Doomfist. You know the months before Doom's glorious prime, where everyone was still convinced he was bad but he was just sleeper OP? Yeah. Good times. But good luck convincing Plats that you don't need to change to kill a Pharah because you're killing her team faster than she kills yours. Or that the very existence of a McCree isn't that big of a deal. :P

Yeah I haven't had to deal with any of that close-mindedness since the very second Ball showed up in OWL this stage. Funny how that works. :D

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the worst is "junk ur charging zarya"

ah yes the 400hp hero who is spamming her defensive mechanic and antiheal clearance on cooldown and is therefore totally defenseless if only there was some solution to this

thonking

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Zarya is not viable in high SR games (2500+). High SR players know not to shoot the bubble.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Gungame so far is super popular, that's going to be a constant presence in the server browser now (deathmatch where you earn your way through a progression of characters). Works very well here with a lot of room for variants. The fire dome thing is literally just a battle royale force field, but it still needs some work to find a way to make that fun.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Zarya is not viable in high SR games (2500+). High SR players know not to shoot the bubble.

I feel like somebody needs to tell the OWL players this breaking news.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Gungame so far is super popular, that's going to be a constant presence in the server browser now (deathmatch where you earn your way through a progression of characters). Works very well here with a lot of room for variants. The fire dome thing is literally just a battle royale force field, but it still needs some work to find a way to make that fun.

i haven't had a chance to check things out but i was hoping for this

final weapon should be torbhammer

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

Yeah right now everybody has their own idea of what the progression should be. Most of them are using characters as-is, which makes it sort of a lateral shift. I prefer strong -> weak gungame variants, so you could do that by modifying the character loadouts, or just have people end up on support heroes or something.

The main issue is that you have to rely on the server name to self-label what it is which is annoying, there isn't a good way to create canonical game modes that most people are playing. I'm hoping Blizzard does some cultivating to make that possible.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

I think at some point this was true but high level Zaryas get charge whether the enemy is trying to or not. Particularly in 3-3, getting charge is pretty easy. Bubble Rein when he swings at the other Rein when the other team has to shoot at him. There is something to be said for applying that constant pressure instead of trying to feather the trigger to avoid the bubble.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So far I've been able to make Zenyatta accelerate upward while the crouch button is down, and cap out at a certain altitude, but I haven't gotten the toggle quite right such that he doesn't wind up rubber-banding around his max altitude. But the Workshop is promising so far!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

I think at some point this was true but high level Zaryas get charge whether the enemy is trying to or not. Particularly in 3-3, getting charge is pretty easy. Bubble Rein when he swings at the other Rein when the other team has to shoot at him. There is something to be said for applying that constant pressure instead of trying to feather the trigger to avoid the bubble.

Pretty sure misc is just quoting a classic copy-pasta meme.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I think it's also important to remember that it only blocks like 400 damage or something so if your team is focused enough and the target is low enough, breaking bubble to finish the kill is totally viable. Which is why you'll sometimes see OWL players shoot into bubble anyways.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Her bubble absorbs 400 damage? Hell, for how quickly it busts, I thought it stopped 100.

What if instead of degrading over time, Zarya only lost her stored charge when firing?

• Options
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The problem with Zarya is that you could be playing a fun hero instead. Even Orisa is a more fun tank

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Not for the first time, I wish I could play Mei worth a damn.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

No buffs for Mei unless they remove the freeze bullshit (slow is fine)!

• Options

Pretty sure misc is just quoting a classic copy-pasta meme.

o i c

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    The problem with Zarya is that you could be playing a fun hero instead. Even Orisa is a more fun tank

Hey WOAH what Zarya is super fun and I say that as someone whose best hero in the game is Orisa.
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Her bubble absorbs 400 damage? Hell, for how quickly it busts, I thought it stopped 100.

What if instead of degrading over time, Zarya only lost her stored charge when firing?

They block 200. Also Zarya is plenty powerful and does not need what would be an incredible buff like that.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Nah each bubble absorbs 200, so 400 total.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    yeah sorry i couldnt remember the actual number so i just threw something out there, the point was that it had limits!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    literally impossible to lose sr playing Orisa slamming do you need a hug and who is ready to party

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Last week I legitimately had an extended period of time in the Archives missions where I zoned out and was wondering to myself "what if we could randomly change around the properties of heroes for shits and giggles. Like, change Reaper's attack so he throws out Firestrikes with each button click, or turn Bastion's turret into a projectile stream of pachimari"

And now we're here

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Not until a majority of the cast can't bunny hop.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Still think they need to reduce reapers health steal somewhat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Not until a majority of the cast can't bunny hop.

By that logic, everyone should have a stun of some sort.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    literally impossible to lose sr playing Orisa slamming do you need a hug and who is ready to party

If you pair her with a Winston spamming party mode engaged you will rocket up to gm 100%

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Kwoaru wrote: »

If you pair her with a Winston spamming party mode engaged you will rocket up to gm 100%

My surefire Winston climbing technique is spamming "oh yeah!" and using dance emote on cart. 200% win rate.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Last week I legitimately had an extended period of time in the Archives missions where I zoned out and was wondering to myself "what if we could randomly change around the properties of heroes for shits and giggles. Like, change Reaper's attack so he throws out Firestrikes with each button click, or turn Bastion's turret into a projectile stream of pachimari"

And now we're here

Not to rain on your parade, but at least for now your examples are actually explicitly off the table. The scripting system can't override the content-loading system, and things like Reinhardt's Fire Strike are tied to the existence of the character on the field. In other words, if nobody is playing as Reinhardt, so far as the game knows there's no such thing as a "Firestrike" for Reaper's guns to shoot.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

And now we're here

Not to rain on your parade, but at least for now your examples are actually explicitly off the table. The scripting system can't override the content-loading system, and things like Reinhardt's Fire Strike are tied to the existence of the character on the field. In other words, if nobody is playing as Reinhardt, so far as the game knows there's no such thing as a "Firestrike" for Reaper's guns to shoot.

Serious question because I’ve never done scripting stuff...can’t you just put an NPC Reinhardt invisible and off the map somewhere to use?

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

They do, but don't they also absorb all overkill as long as they're there?

So You can be hit by 201 damage or 5000, while you're Zarya Bubbled, and all it does is take the bubble away

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

They do, but don't they also absorb all overkill as long as they're there?

So You can be hit by 201 damage or 5000, while you're Zarya Bubbled, and all it does is take the bubble away

Correct. As long as it's a single source of damage. Like if 2 D.Va bombs go off simultaneously, one will wipe the bubble and the other will kill you.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

And now we're here

Serious question because I’ve never done scripting stuff...can’t you just put an NPC Reinhardt invisible and off the map somewhere to use?

Wellll, once you introduce AI players you then need to include AI behavior controls to keep them stationary, map placement tools (including "safe zones" - for example on deathmatch maps, since there's no spawn room you'd need somewhere to put NPCs that shouldn't be interacted with), team management systems to designate player versus NPC slots, etc.

Which could definitely be interesting features! But there are probably more elegant solutions to that particular problem (that will hopefully be introduced in some way). I imagine that at some point they'll come up with a more intuitive system for giving abilities to different characters, but right now the main priority is probably getting the basic system functioning.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I hope they do, because a mode where your actual character is different than the model showing would be amazing

Reinhardt blinking around while Tracer holds up an enormous shield

Roadhog punching people to death while Doomfist hooks them

Mercy unloading double shotguns into tanks while Reaper damage boosts her

Wrecking Ball flying around shooting rockets at groups while Pharah rolls around into people with her grappling hook

Widowmaker flying her invisible mech around while D.Va snipes from afar

The possibilities are endless

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We already know it’s somewhat possible

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ESp4Z9sR_xo

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I hope they do, because a mode where your actual character is different than the model showing would be amazing

Reinhardt blinking around while Tracer holds up an enormous shield

Roadhog punching people to death while Doomfist hooks them

Mercy unloading double shotguns into tanks while Reaper damage boosts her

Wrecking Ball flying around shooting rockets at groups while Pharah rolls around into people with her grappling hook

Widowmaker flying her invisible mech around while D.Va snipes from afar

The possibilities are endless

This seems a perfectly reasonable balance suggestion for Mercy regardless.

• Options

Wow you called it, they added "Hero Gauntlet" to the presets and Torbhammer is in fact the last character.

This discussion has been closed.