As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Somehow I thought that was their signature pose... with all of theirs. Which is why I sort of wrote them off of my radar.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Somehow I thought that was their signature pose... with all of theirs. Which is why I sort of wrote them off of my radar.

i don't mind it being there, but i wasn't sure if it is posed like that for the purpose of showing off the articulation or if that is the default pose. the megatron for example isn't like that

• Options
    Oh that's good to know that others are not like that. I saw the Starscream and Prime with the hip thrust and didn't look further.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about Ghostbusters Optimus.

• Options
    I'm good with the Transforming ECTO-1 to fill that crossover. Although it is hilarious seeing Optimus carrying a Roller Ghost Trap and Slimer.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So I jumped back in the Macross addiction with a dip into the shallow end. Since I couldn't get a DX VF-1A (yet) and don't feel like paying scalper prices for the VF-1J, I picked up the Hi-Metal R VF-1D to see what the heck it is all about. I was afraid looking at the scale and videos of the other versions that it would suck. But after watching a bunch of videos and taking close looks at the photos from other collectors I gambled at picking one up. At first the price made me rethink what the heck I did; buying a plastic toy that cost as much as some of my Masterpiece Transformers. But I'm glad I did because it is a solid little mech. I thought that I would break it and regret buying it, but it can take some serious abuse. It does bug me that you have to pop off its hands if you want to have it "look" a certain way, but it is more as a display unit I think than something you take off the shelf and convert at a whim (well without leaving the tiny hands on it). The only thing you do need to swap constantly is the canopy if you do choose to keep it as a transforming toy.

The detail is pretty high for a small mech, they even painted the "eye" area with a reflective paint. Also I love the little Minmay and Hikaru figures that came with it! You can also have the VF-1D hold Minmay like the episode where it is in the show. Part of me wishes they had one where she could sit in the cockpit, but I don't miss it that much. They also included some "fan" intakes for you to swap when it is in Fighter mode which is a nice touch. There is this cover piece that you can put on the top in Battroid mode to cover the gap between the front and back of the mech. They also included one cover piece that has the two seats to simulate where Hikaru exits the VF-1D to check out what happened.

Overall I'm really happy with my purchase. Part of me wishes it was a VF-1A since I love that mech, but the VF-1D is my second favorite so I'm ok with that.

I thought I took my normal photos, but somehow I messed up most of them and took them at a lower resolution. Sorry about that.
    VF-1D_B.jpg
    VF-1D_B2.jpg
    VF-1D_G.jpg
    VF-1D_F.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Anyone else ever think about how frustrating a valkyrie would be for a mechanic or aerospace technician? Like, imagine finding out that, like, the capacitor bank you need to replace is unreachable in gerwalk mode, which is where the unit you're working on got stuck. I imagine r/justrolledintotheshop would have a field day with these.

• Options
    Well, I'm sure the magical wrench that the Mechanic has can fix it by just touching the thing. Right?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Anyone else ever think about how frustrating a valkyrie would be for a mechanic or aerospace technician? Like, imagine finding out that, like, the capacitor bank you need to replace is unreachable in gerwalk mode, which is where the unit you're working on got stuck. I imagine r/justrolledintotheshop would have a field day with these.

I'd assume that very modular construction would be pretty much a requirement for any transforming mecha.
    At some point, it's going to be quicker to just replace the leg that capacitor bank is in with a spare, get the thing back on active duty and then repair the leg.

I mean (and I know it's not Macross, but it is Robotech which is as close as I got as a kid) the characters in Mospeada/Third Generation Robotech were able to keep 3 or 4 veritechs in the air through constant combat and they didn't have regular access to repair facilities. So, they've got to be fairly easy to maintain.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    T4qubq5.jpg

Got this bad boy to guard my computer at work. (Sadly, he arrived a few weeks before I'll be leaving this job, so he's not going to rack up many hours.)

• Options
    Siege Optimus is really a marvel of engineering. For as many panels as there are, they all fit together perfectly, which is something that even Generations Springer can't boast. I thought I'd hate the backpack and forearms flaps, but they're no big deal at all. The proportions are perfect and both modes are nearly flawless.

I wish I liked the headsculpt on Siege Megatron. The toys always lean into the G1 look with the really angular, slanty, kinda gaunt face with the exposed black triangles on his forehead and his "helmet" kinda... pushed back, I guess? I prefer the MTMTE look where there's kind of a downward peak to it. So I set up Prime next to Titans Return Megs, which doesn't look perfect but is still the best Megatron I have.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Siege Optimus is really a marvel of engineering. For as many panels as there are, they all fit together perfectly, which is something that even Generations Springer can't boast. I thought I'd hate the backpack and forearms flaps, but they're no big deal at all. The proportions are perfect and both modes are nearly flawless.

I wish I liked the headsculpt on Siege Megatron. The toys always lean into the G1 look with the really angular, slanty, kinda gaunt face with the exposed black triangles on his forehead and his "helmet" kinda... pushed back, I guess? I prefer the MTMTE look where there's kind of a downward peak to it. So I set up Prime next to Titans Return Megs, which doesn't look perfect but is still the best Megatron I have.

did you find a way to hide the backpack or is it just not noticeable? in package it seemed to be kinda rough

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    There's nowhere to hide it, but what I found is that while it looks bad in product shots that are fully lit, in real-world lighting scenarios, it just sorta blends in and somehow doesn't seem to affect his silhouette. Here's a pretty good example of what I mean: https://www.reddit.com/r/transformers/comments/9yp3mf/i_present_transformers_siege_optimus_prime/

• Options
    That does look better than in the packaging. I'm looking forward to picking up the repaint that was teased at a convention a while ago with the cartoon windows effects and hopefully a similar Megatron.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    i think that optimus is one of the better looking ones in recent memory. i audibly said wow when i picked it up, but the forearms and backpack bug me. i may pick him up and see if there is a way to remove them and he is jsut non-transforming.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The backpack is on a mushroom peg that you can probably remove by hand if you're not too concerned about leaving some stress marks on the hinge assembly. If you can remove the pin you could take if off without any damage. It wouldn't even make it non-transforming, honestly. Makes him look a bit more Cybertronian, if anything. Getting the arm assembly off would probably be more work than is worth it.

Images behind the spoiler.
    ad5uhh24j4mx.jpg
    ou3dpt69j3bp.jpg

Delzhand on
  • Options
  • Options
    Been messing around with premade dioramas

On the way to ruin someone's day
    SpHCZp4m.jpg
    bwjUi1km.jpg

Boo
    IemAPm7m.jpg
    vCYpCUim.jpg

JqmyRR6m.jpg

You say goodbye, I say hello
    3TGGNEQm.jpg

8o8TTaOm.jpg
    IURhzkNm.jpg

Don't ever talk to me or my sons, birds, bat, or cat again
    4TAFGZmm.jpg

• Options
    Nice! Love the color of lighting as well. Man that Alien is creeeeeeepy.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Thanks! The red and blue lights are kinda difficult to photograph. I don't know if that's because of my phone or the nature of those colors or what.

I expect I'm going to be using this thing a lot. Just gotta figure out how to hide stands and what angles I can use. It's unfortunate that this is only a sci-fi oriented one which obviously works for transformers and some other stuff. I'd like to find a more fantasy themed one or even just "outside" to use with other figures

edit: rather than double-post again here are some others that i didn't post earlier
    ULtMsTlm.jpg
    pv4OnBym.jpg
    FEtAek7m.jpg

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    i think that optimus is one of the better looking ones in recent memory. i audibly said wow when i picked it up, but the forearms and backpack bug me. i may pick him up and see if there is a way to remove them and he is jsut non-transforming.

The problem with Siege Optimus is, none of that was necessary. The forearms and the backpack are both there to service elements of the altmode that A) didn't need to be there, and B) don't make it enough of a "Cybertronian truck" mode for them to be warranted.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Anyone have the perfect effect upgrade set for combiner wars menasor? I saw some pictures of it and it made menasor a dually look pretty cool. My concern is that it only works from the front or really limits articulation

I never used to care about the stunticons but they have been growing on me due to various TF media

• Options
    I have the opportunity to get a POTP Rodimus Unicronus for $37. Not sure if it’s worth it

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Rodimus is worth it at retail, so def worth it at $37.

• Options
    Sounds like I need to make a stop on the way home tomorrow night then.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I don't have POTP Rodimus but from the reviews I've seen the shoulders are crap.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    They aren't crap, just different. You use the legs from Hot Rod to form the torso joint, shoulders, upper arms, and elbows. Then the lower arms are formed by a piece that pops off of the trailer section.

The fact that Hot Rod's thighs become the joint between the torso and the shoulder can be off putting, because there's nothing to cover up this joint. But on the other hand, having this joint open gives you a lot of poseability options that would otherwise be limited.

• Options
    Anyone know what the diorama is (floor) and spinny thing in the very beginning of this video are?

https://youtu.be/SMSfKGZZWHg

• Options
    I looked at the channel and one of the videos listed the display base as the IT-01 LED Display Base. Then I googled and found a site listing them.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I went through some of the videos but didn't find it mentioned. Thanks!

edit: as a follow-up i think this is the floor itself: https://tfsource.com/zeta-toys/zeta-ex-display-base-black/

unfortunately sold out everywhere that i can see

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    SOC Vehicle Voltron up for pre-order everywhere!

Order as fast as you can

Warning: Expensive as fuck!

LAMUj2C.jpg

https://www.bandaionline.com/soul-of-chogokin-gx-88-armored-fleet-dairugger-xv-action-figure/

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
  • Options
    I saw your post way too late apparently. Was up till 15 minutes after you posted because I tried to get a VF-1S. That was an interesting fiasco. Thought I had one on CD Japan, but sold out before I could get to the last phase of their shopping cart. Ami Ami was near the pay process when it sold out. HLJ was in the "pay" portion as well before it sold out.

I didn't even attempt to try for a Dairugger XV since I figured it would be just as bad (and apparently it was). So praying I will be able to pick one up from BBTS, Entertainment Earth, Gamestop, etc.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It was a nightmare, that's for sure.

I was able to get a pre-order in, but only after like half an hour of refreshing and re-signing and pressing the shit out of the "confirm order" button.

On my phone.

On the way home from work.

Catching public transport.

So now I have to look forward to saving up an additional 690AUD. :mad:

Won't be able to combine shipping with this son of a bitch, due to the tax on imported goods over 1000AUD.

But at least I'll be able to finally experience the joy of combining Vehicle Voltron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSIQkMS6HoI

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I wish I could awesome your post more. If I don't manage to get one, I can at least live vicariously through you!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I missed out, but honesty quite a bit too pricey for my tastes.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I hope they bring back the same "size" and not the Hasbro versions a while ago. I still have a ton of the originals. Plus a full set of the first line in their boxes. Their cards are not perfect, but they are still sealed thanks to my Grandmother who had them on a wall.

Edit: I watched the old commercial on that site and man did that bring back memories.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Amazon pre-order for Dairugger is upfor $339.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SH712ZH/

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I don't care about Vehicle Voltron

Tbh I barely have room for more stuff anyway, I need to do a purge

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.