As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    More about the winning driver than the race...
    I hope everyone appreciates how special it is to watch Lewis Hamilton drive now. He's arguably the second best F1 driver of all time, right now, if he did nothing else...but he's well on his way to the victory total and if Mercedes stays in form will have 7 titles (which could be 9 if you look at 2007 and 2016). As with most F1 drivers he won't get his due until he retires, but hes certainly the best driver of this era and in my opinion will retire as the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Unrelated side note: I got down in to the 1:35's at China in the FH 2019, which is mid pack times basically. So I could totes be an F1 driver, right?!

I just knocked out a 1:33.428 in the Merc in F1 2018 time trial. Not a perfect lap but I'm feeling fairly pleased with myself now!

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    More about the winning driver than the race...
    I hope everyone appreciates how special it is to watch Lewis Hamilton drive now. He's arguably the second best F1 driver of all time, right now, if he did nothing else...but he's well on his way to the victory total and if Mercedes stays in form will have 7 titles (which could be 9 if you look at 2007 and 2016). As with most F1 drivers he won't get his due until he retires, but hes certainly the best driver of this era and in my opinion will retire as the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Unrelated side note: I got down in to the 1:35's at China in the FH 2019, which is mid pack times basically. So I could totes be an F1 driver, right?!

I just knocked out a 1:33.428 in the Merc in F1 2018 time trial. Not a perfect lap but I'm feeling fairly pleased with myself now!

2 things

1) How are we not steam friends yet? friend request sent

2) Just fired up f12018 and ran a merc around china and got a 1:31.336. Fair warning, this was with anti-lock breaks and medium TC on an xbox one controller. I take either assist off and I'm lucky if I make a valid lap.

Veevee on
    edited April 2019
    Same, I need the assists on, I'm only ever playing with a controller, and also China is, to put it mildly, not a strong circuit for me. Damn good lap there! No idea where I could find over two seconds to keep up :lol:

(I also confess my lap was on the Xbone version, but I do have the game on Steam - I'm just playing it on Xbox as well now because it's on Game Pass!)

Friend request accepted :+1:

Jazz on
    Same, I need the assists on, I'm only ever playing with a controller, and also China is, to put it mildly, not a strong circuit for me. Damn good lap there!

(I also confess my lap was on the Xbone version, but I do have the game on Steam - I'm just playing it on Xbox as well now because it's on Game Pass!)

:+1:

I looked, and I beat Hamilton and Bottas by .3 seconds.

Who do I contact to take over for one them? I'm obviously the better choice.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Same, I need the assists on, I'm only ever playing with a controller, and also China is, to put it mildly, not a strong circuit for me. Damn good lap there!

And in last year's car, no less!

Nova_C wrote: »

And in last year's car, no less!

That was last years qualifying time

Beat this years by .2 seconds.

Interestingly, last years Ferrari was .3 seconds faster than my time.

Compared to last year, Ferrari lost a whole .8 seconds while Mercedes gained .1 seconds.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I can’t remember if I’ve seen this movie before or not. It seems familiar but I can’t be sure. Going to have to drop the $10 to be certain because it looks quite good(mostly heh):

https://youtu.be/XsJ8aYc7AHM

edited April 2019
    I've seen chunks of Grand Prix but (shamefully) have yet to watch it all the way through. Not least because it's so damn long. But so much of just the footage they shot for it is jaw-dropping, doubly so for being made in 1966. It's stunning to behold.

ffc6e8hbx1j2.jpg

Also, worthy of note: Steve McQueen, a huge racer, was so pissed about not being cast in it, that he decided to make his own motorsport movie (with blackjack and hookers? Unconfirmed :wink: ) and the result was 1971's Le Mans, which is also a brilliant movie and well worth a watch.

And I rewatched Rush the other day. It's criminal that Daniel Brühl didn't win all the awards for that movie, he's just amazing in it.

Jazz on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I've seen chunks of Grand Prix but (shamefully) have yet to watch it all the way through. Not least because it's so damn long. But so much of just the footage they shot for it is jaw-dropping, doubly so for being made in 1966. It's stunning to behold.

ffc6e8hbx1j2.jpg

Also, worthy of note: Steve McQueen, a huge racer, was so pissed about not being cast in it, that he decided to make his own motorsport movie (with blackjack and hookers? Unconfirmed :wink: ) and the result was 1971's Le Mans, which is also a brilliant movie and well worth a watch.

And I rewatched Rush the other day. It's criminal that Daniel Brühl didn't win all the awards for that movie, he's just amazing in it.

Man, do I love Rush and its' soundtrack... (specially for this)

Late to the party, but I just finished Netflix's F1 documentary. It's frikken awesome, but only slightly more so because I missed the later half of the season (couldn't really give a damn at that point) so a lot of things were surprises for me. :lol:

Just started the first episode of Amazon Prime's LeMans and it also promises to be great. (Too bad it was before Alonso's time.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5f87xjg-m4

Poor Williams. The flatbed trucking hitting a bridge with its crane and leaking hydraulic fluid all over the car was just insult to injury.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/26/chassis-damage-rules-russell-out-of-second-practice/

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It does feel like Williams should be able to fine F1 for damages.

It's pissing on the corpse of Williams... talk about omens.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Apparently there's precedent and the track is liable. Sepang had to pay for damage to Grosjean's car one year. Still, money in the future doesn't help with damage today...

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its almost like holding your races in third world countries is a stupid idea

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Didn't a drain cover fly up and damage a car last year at Baku?

Like I definitely feel that something super similar happened before on this very circuit, but I can't find it because all the news is about this time

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It happened to Barrichello or Massa in Monaco years ago iirc dunno about Baku, but I suppose it's more or less inevitable on a street track

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Wow, so many close calls and actual crashes on FP2. Those tires really aren't switching on.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Happened to Großjean in Malaysia in 2016, to Button in Monaco in 2017, and caused a training cancellation in Baku in 2018.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    This Baku circuit seems a little squirrelly and dangerous. Not sure I dig it.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Yawn

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Oof I’m excited for the race. I really love the chaos of Baku but it probably doesn’t fit for modern F1 cars anymore than Monaco does any longer.

Monaco at least has its heritage to make up for its absurdity and unsuitability... Baku is so new that I have to wonder how it got sanctioned, at least the turn 8-9-10 bit. Yes, it's pretty, but...

Still, so long as no-one gets hurt, I don't mind a bit of chaos every now and then!

edited April 2019
    Watching qualifying now.
    I have done what Kubica did in F1 2018 so many fucking times I dont even want to talk about it.

Baku is one of my favorite tracks. I think it's great for these cars because of the long straights and the turns are all slow and technical.

Veevee on
    Monaco at least has its heritage to make up for its absurdity and unsuitability... Baku is so new that I have to wonder how it got sanctioned, at least the turn 8-9-10 bit. Yes, it's pretty, but...

Still, so long as no-one gets hurt, I don't mind a bit of chaos every now and then!

Except chaos seems squarely aimed at Williams for some reason this year. The Formula gods that be just want to kick them while they're on the ground.

evilbob wrote: »
    Yawn

I'm halfway through the F2 race and so far it's been really entertaining. Younger drivers plus tricky circuit make for a fun race, it seems.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    I need a GIF of the shot of Claire Williams facepalming after what happened.

The racing gods have it in for Williams, and clearly they are vengeful gods.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Watching qualifying now.
    I have done what Kubica did in F1 2018 so many fucking times I dont even want to talk about it.

Baku is one of my favorite tracks. I think it's great for these cars because of the long straights and the turns are all slow and technical.

I did it in Assetto Corsa like four times yesterday. That corner requires so much commitment and you have to get it inch perfect to go through there fast. Getting as big in to sim racing as I have over the last few years has only heightened my respect for the guys who do it for real.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Missed quali, but the incidents are a neat indication of why tracks are red flagged until full repairs to barriers are made.

Watching on a slight delay
    LeClerc is just eating the field up, it's really impressive.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I think I'm done with F1.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Mercedes is on another planet this year. We aren't even at the run of tracks that are Mercedes tracks. Glad Bottas is getting some wins, but I hope everyone realizes how dangerous Lewis is right now. He doesn't normally kick it in to high gear until after the summer break, but he's already got two wins and two second places. If he does his yearly "Oh, summer break is over? Guess it's time to win 5 in a row" we'll be seeing a six time champion this year and he'll quite possibly be within single digits of the win record.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Mercedes is on another planet this year. We aren't even at the run of tracks that are Mercedes tracks. Glad Bottas is getting some wins, but I hope everyone realizes how dangerous Lewis is right now. He doesn't normally kick it in to high gear until after the summer break, but he's already got two wins and two second places. If he does his yearly "Oh, summer break is over? Guess it's time to win 5 in a row" we'll be seeing a six time champion this year and he'll quite possibly be within single digits of the win record.
    I really do hope Lewis kicks into gear soon. I'm not at all hot on Bottas after two years of mediocracy + a certain tendency for some sections of the fanbase supporting him purely as an anti-Hamilton thing (nobody here ofc, but it's out there). I also seriously wish the commentary would give over about him "having a win taken away by bad luck" last year - he lucked into the winning position due to a fortunately times SC and would have been 3rd at best otherwise. I reckon Hamilton could have had him in this race but for the VSC and a mistake towards the end though.

Ferrari remain masters of their own demise. Leclerc red hot right into a wall in quali, otherwise he was a contender. Strategy left him out far too long on the mediums and ultimately the softs were nowhere at the end. If he'd been on a normal strategy from a decent grid position who knows how the race could have went?

altid wrote: »
    I really do hope Lewis kicks into gear soon. I'm not at all hot on Bottas after two years of mediocracy + a certain tendency for some sections of the fanbase supporting him purely as an anti-Hamilton thing (nobody here ofc, but it's out there). I also seriously wish the commentary would give over about him "having a win taken away by bad luck" last year - he lucked into the winning position due to a fortunately times SC and would have been 3rd at best otherwise. I reckon Hamilton could have had him in this race but for the VSC and a mistake towards the end though.

Ferrari remain masters of their own demise. Leclerc red hot right into a wall in quali, otherwise he was a contender. Strategy left him out far too long on the mediums and ultimately the softs were nowhere at the end. If he'd been on a normal strategy from a decent grid position who knows how the race could have went?
    By anti-Hamilton are you also implying anti-black? That definitely is out there, but I just wanted to be sure. I personally would prefer Bottas over Hamilton, but also would prefer anyone over a Mercedes driver. For me, it is entirely a "Someone different" thing though.

I thought the race was a rather good one, but I find the technical and tactics side of the sport incredibly compelling. I'm not really rooting for a single driver or team, I watch because I'm watching the drivers drive one of the most advanced automobile on the planet.

altid wrote: »

By anti-Hamilton are you also implying anti-black? That definitely is out there, but I just wanted to be sure. I personally would prefer Bottas over Hamilton, but also would prefer anyone over a Mercedes driver. For me, it is entirely a "Someone different" thing though.

I thought the race was a rather good one, but I find the technical and tactics side of the sport incredibly compelling. I'm not really rooting for a single driver or team, I watch because I'm watching the drivers drive one of the most advanced automobile on the planet.
    Nope, not implying that at all. I'd agree there's an element of racism out there but it's not what I'm referring to here. Just the consequence of being a successful driver but taken to petty levels at times.

I'm pretty unashamedly a Hamilton fan which undoubtedly colours my opinions but Bottas just hasn't shown me anything particularly strong yet. His wins are largely ahead at the first corner types and the end of last season was downright embarrassing at times. He's still in the "decent midfield driver" pack for me.

hmm ok well
    this season is over. ferrari is a joke. people are so horny for someone to challenge Merc that Merc has managed to pull off the greatest sandbag con of all time

Leclerc needed brand new softs on empty fuel AND lapped DRS to just barely clip a purple lap from Mercedes on 40 lap old mediums. Embarassing.

also baku sucks. its singapore with a straight. throw this track in the garbage can.

edited April 2019
    So, I would have to go back and watch it again, but I'm pretty sure characterizing LeClerc's fastest lap as just barely getting there is a little off.
    My recollection is that he knocked over a second off the next fastest, while also setting a track record.

oldmanken on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Channel 4 need to have a content warning for coverage that contains scenes of Eddie Jordan, just when I thought we were free.

7qmGNt5.png
    Channel 4 need to have a content warning for coverage that contains scenes of Eddie Jordan, just when I thought we were free.

Mark Webber, on the other hand, was fantastic value as co-commentator. No disrespect to DC, but Mark is brilliant at that. As pointed with his opinions as James Hunt was, with just a hint of Murray Walker -isms. And a shout-out to Murray himself. Come back any time, Mark.

Unmentioned so far, but Ricciardo:
    ...got himself a three-place grid penalty for Barcelona for reversing into a blameless Kvyat. I haven't seen yet what caused that, but I was flabbergasted when I saw it.

Aye, Webber can do commentary any time by my book. I've also thought that Billy Monger has been doing a fantastic job, but kind of expected that as the documentary over Christmas showed him to be an absolute natural in front of the camera.
    That whole thing with the reversing was very strange, I guess he just didn't see Kvyat in the mirrors? Or didn't check which is worse tbh.

7qmGNt5.png
    You’ve got to believe Ricciardo is getting a bit anxious. They were supposed to be best of the rest but uh, he and Niko have 12 points and 5 DNFs between them in 4 races.

This discussion has been closed.