As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Have the creators of Caillou ever defended their work? The show was on for years, despite the entire Internet hating it. Someone liked it... right?

Who will stand for this terrible bald child?

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Have the creators of Caillou ever defended their work? The show was on for years, despite the entire Internet hating it. Someone liked it... right?

I want to say that at the time it aired it was very popular

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh also Pocoyo on Netflix, the first 2 seasons narrated by Steven Fry are really good. Then it reformatted and went to hell.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Okay TV counts as screen time, right? Ripley has no phone or tablet use but I've noticed if I have something on she'll sometimes just sit down and space out and stare at the screen.

It's usually Battlestar Galactica, but I still turn it off if I notice her watching.

Ripley is sixteen months.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Wait, I thought this was just One Punch Man: The Early Years. Is it not?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Okay TV counts as screen time, right? Ripley has no phone or tablet use but I've noticed if I have something on she'll sometimes just sit down and space out and stare at the screen.

It's usually Battlestar Galactica, but I still turn it off if I notice her watching.

TV is the classic "screen time" yes.

re: Llama llama TV show that was mentioned last page... My daughter loved the Llama llama books, so I thought it was funny when I noticed there was a show, too, and my wife and I watched a couple episodes. I don't like it! Basically, they padded it out to make the short stories fit into an episode length, and made each of the lessons worse imo.

The "Sharing" book is great about Llama llama not being able to share. In the TV episode, his friend is super rude and pushy and breaks all of his stuff until eventually Llama llama gets upset, then he gets yelled at. The "Be Patient" episode is similar, it's no longer about being patient with his mom having to run errands, but his mom just straight-up lies repeatedly to him, and ignores him for extended periods of time when he's trying to get her attention, until eventually again he loses his temper.

Kind of disappointing compared to the books imo. Not horrible, just not really something I liked. Maybe the other episodes are better.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Anya and Niko pretty much refuse to watch most of the charming children’s shows now. :(

Niko likes: Pokémon, Dinosaur King, Monster Hunter/Ace Attorney anime, PJ Masks, Dino Dan/Dana (I wish he watched the latter more; Dino Dan/Dana are great shows with some solid kid acting!).

Anya likes: Pokémon, anything cutesy (Bananya), Barbie’s Life in the Dreamhouse (which could be a LOT worse than it is), anything trending with first grade girls. But she’s more apt to play games these days, which isn’t bad, especially when they’re puzzle games.

They grow up so quickly!

Also Niko’s first words to me upon waking this morning:

‘Mom, why don’t we hear a rooster waking us up in the morning?’

Janson on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Life in the Dreamhouse is way sharper than it has any need to be, I know a decent amount of it goes over my girls' heads.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

re: Llama llama TV show that was mentioned last page... My daughter loved the Llama llama books, so I thought it was funny when I noticed there was a show, too, and my wife and I watched a couple episodes. I don't like it! Basically, they padded it out to make the short stories fit into an episode length, and made each of the lessons worse imo.

The "Sharing" book is great about Llama llama not being able to share. In the TV episode, his friend is super rude and pushy and breaks all of his stuff until eventually Llama llama gets upset, then he gets yelled at. The "Be Patient" episode is similar, it's no longer about being patient with his mom having to run errands, but his mom just straight-up lies repeatedly to him, and ignores him for extended periods of time when he's trying to get her attention, until eventually again he loses his temper.

Kind of disappointing compared to the books imo. Not horrible, just not really something I liked. Maybe the other episodes are better.

I'm mixed on the Llama Llama books too. I'm thinking in particular of Llama Llama Mad at Mama (which sounds like it might be the basis for "Be Patient") where he throws a tantrum and trashes an aisle in the grocery store and hoo boy does he not face sufficient consequences for that behavior.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what it was response to, but I said "What the..." to a unusual sight.

Beside me, Mini-Muzz says very clearly "Fuck!"

It's me, I am the bad mother....

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It gets better. My son now says, "We shouldn't say fuck." And he makes sure to tell everyone he meets that.

I'm mixed on the Llama Llama books too. I'm thinking in particular of Llama Llama Mad at Mama (which sounds like it might be the basis for "Be Patient") where he throws a tantrum and trashes an aisle in the grocery store and hoo boy does he not face sufficient consequences for that behavior.

I made up the names of them because I forgot most of them, because our silly daughter only wants to read like, the same two Llama llama books over and over again :P

One of those is the sharing one, "Llama Llama Time to Share," which is significantly worse in TV form.

Steam profile

hard disagree! Anna Dewdney is involved in the show from what I understand and I think the show teaches valuable lessons. The shopping one is real life, the mom doesn't lie, they're just busy. The lesson is both a lesson for the mom and the kid at the end, be more communicative but also more understanding and patient. also the kids destroys a whole aisle of the supermarket, even if you're trantruming that's a nono!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My son is obsessed with Dinosaur Train from PBS. It's pretty fun.
    I got him some books, and I was really impressed with one of them. I don't know if it's based on an episode (since we haven't seen a lot of them), but there's a dinosaur that has autism, but they don't go "he has autism".. they just subtly mention some of the things he does. It took me until the second read-through to pick up on it. But it emphasizes respect for others.
    The only thing I find kind of funny is that the carnivorous dinosaurs eat.. fish. There's a T-Rex who lives with Pteranodons.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I'm not sure what it was response to, but I said "What the..." to a unusual sight.

Beside me, Mini-Muzz says very clearly "Fuck!"

It's me, I am the bad mother....

Yeah, we've been struggling with this recently. My daughter has got quite the sailors mouth apparently, but also says "sorry" pretty much any time she falls over, probably from when she'd get real close to one of us and we'd accidentally knock her over and we'd say "Sorry." Yesterday evening she ran into the coffee table, fell over, and then said "Sorry! Oh fuck." and it was so hard not to start giggling.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Hardtarget wrote: »

hard disagree! Anna Dewdney is involved in the show from what I understand and I think the show teaches valuable lessons. The shopping one is real life, the mom doesn't lie, they're just busy. The lesson is both a lesson for the mom and the kid at the end, be more communicative but also more understanding and patient. also the kids destroys a whole aisle of the supermarket, even if you're trantruming that's a nono!

Maybe I can give it another try :)

Steam profile
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Cleaning up the house this afternoon I came upon this in the playroom:

6mwmduw9xqhi.jpg

I guess my eldest likes math.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Maybe I can give it another try :)

I would, there are 2 seasons worth of episodes and most of them are great

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We watched a good bit of Daniel Tiger when my son was younger.. I think it may have been more useful for me than him. I remember several times when I would drop him off at school and he was beside himself. I would quietly sing "Grownups Come Back" and it seemed to make him feel a little bit better.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Daniel the Tiger's potty training episode helped us a lot. We referenced the song all the time because it was our son's problem with training... he knew he had to go, but he did not want to stop playing to go potty and then whoops, too late.

"Noah, do you have to go pee?"
    "No."
    "If you have to go potty, stop and go right away"

Then boom, off he goes.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Oops.

We decided to let her lick an oreo just for funsies, and daddy accidentally stuck it a bit too far in her mouth and the little monster took advantage of that. Chomp!

OK baby, I guess you earned your first bite of an oreo there. Clever girl :P

Steam profile
    Woo, the kids are finally at an age where we can say ‘go and play in your rooms’ and they’ll go and engage in imaginative play in their rooms while Mori and I get a chance to hang out and watch TV/eat before bedtime takes the rest of the night. :D

Last night they ended up building a duplo village, tonight they were both riding Anya’s unicorn.

Damn it, Niko heard the doorbell of our Taco Bell delivery :P

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Taco Bell delivers? What madness is this

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We have determined that if we open the slide door in the lounge and the one in our bedroom, then we have a good racing/running loop to burn off some energy.

Useful when your kid wants to be Catboy and chase Romeo

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Sigh. Lost my temper and yelled tonight. I feel like a piece of shit.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

you're doing ok.

it happens. we're not robots, we're still human.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And thankfully kids seem to have the shortest of short-term memories.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Oops.

We decided to let her lick an oreo just for funsies, and daddy accidentally stuck it a bit too far in her mouth and the little monster took advantage of that. Chomp!

OK baby, I guess you earned your first bite of an oreo there. Clever girl :P

Aw man I was afraid this was one of those stories about how the kid bit your finger. Their baby teeth are sharp!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Sing
    BlazeFire wrote: »

It's okay, it happens. We've all done it. You're not a piece of shit. You're not a bad parent.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Noah has a friend over for a playdate. Said friend brought a small baseball bat. After telling him not to swing it around, Noah brings it down in a full overhead swing and our dog walks riiiiight in front of him and WHACK!

The tears and guilt from this little four-year-old are immeasurable.

Things overhead in the house

Coming from the bathroom, "It's pee time! Hooray! ooh! Yay! Pee time! Wooo!"

Three year olds are so funny you guys.

.....you don't celebrate pee time as adults?

One of my top 5 times. Second only to poo time.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Just absolutely wrecked my right knee doing the "bullet-time dad-dash" across the living room to deflect an almost boiling hot cup of tea Tiny Wonder nearly baptised himself with

Hey Little Buddy, how about you find something more interesting to do than "what are all the ways to maim or suicide, a comprehensive guide". Fucking...help me out

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Life in the Dreamhouse is way sharper than it has any need to be, I know a decent amount of it goes over my girls' heads.

Life in the Dreamhouse is to this generation what Animaniacs was to ours- full of fun stuff for the kids, but also a lot of stuff for the parents.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Did you all know that girls have long hair and boys have short hair?

Obviously.

So since I have a buzz cut and daddy has a pony tail, then I am obviously a boy and daddy is a girl just like Ellie.

But if I grow my hair out long like hers is, then I can change into a girl.

I love my kid, y'all.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My big guys just made simple costumes from the economy diaper and wipe boxes and are pretending to be robots, so my wife and I are are feeding them lines like "system operation: take clothes up to your room, activate!", and they're happily complying since they think we're doing a lot of playing with them on cleaning day, and we are gonna encourage this particular game until the wheels fall off

*Beep-boop*

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Did you all know that girls have long hair and boys have short hair?

Obviously.

So since I have a buzz cut and daddy has a pony tail, then I am obviously a boy and daddy is a girl just like Ellie.

But if I grow my hair out long like hers is, then I can change into a girl.

I love my kid, y'all.

The major benefit to growing your hair long is you can say "long hair, don't care."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Mini-dead just presented me with a couple of pieces of paper, telling me she wanted me to help her write a book.

So I took her dictation.

Her epic tale went as so:

“The Orange
    Jumped out of
    The Bowl
    And went fishing
    In the Sink”

My child is now a more accomplished author than I

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Niko and Anya were going on about a park on Friday so today I said I’d take them before Anya’s gymnastics lesson.

We go to the specific park they named and Niko burst into tears, his little heart broken because the park wasn’t the one he was thinking of.

Luckily Anya remembered the directions to the other park, so we went there instead.

After five minutes of being in the park Niko remembered: ‘Oh, I don’t like this park. I want to go back to the other park!’

Kids.

This discussion has been closed.