As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    the Warriors are terrible at defense

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Butters wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Paul George immediately going, "but it was a b as d shot though!" is the funniest part of this. I don't even care if he's right! Maybe next time don't talk so much shit and he'll just beat you...the regular way, instead of clearly going for the biggest fuck you shot imaginable

I'm not saying he shouldn't be quiet about the shot but telling an NBA player not to talk shit is like telling a lot of them not to dribble. Talking massive shit has always been part of the NBA meta game. It's just that some of them are better than others.

Oh, for sure. I don't want to see less shit talk. Just...sometimes it's gonna backfire spectacularly

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    John Havlicek died.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Spurs/Nugs gonna go the distance.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    lillard shot almost 40% on such shots this year (39.2% on 51 30+ foot attempts); you figure it's probably a bit lower on account of the fact that he probably shot it from 36 or so feet but it's not like, a bad shot (especially since he got to take a long look at it and george mistimed his jump)

it's a shot george was willing to let him take if he wanted to, which is probably what he meant

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's one of those cases where it's so far out that defending it means giving up much better looks, so you just have to consider it a bad shot and allow it and hope for the best.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    lillard shot almost 40% on such shots this year (39.2% on 51 30+ foot attempts); you figure it's probably a bit lower on account of the fact that he probably shot it from 36 or so feet but it's not like, a bad shot (especially since he got to take a long look at it and george mistimed his jump)

it's a shot george was willing to let him take if he wanted to, which is probably what he meant

Almost all of those 51 shots were quite a bit closer than what he hit to beat OKC. I believe he was 1/7 on 35-40 footers before that buzzer beater.

It's amazing that responses like this don't happen more often.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ohhhh, so this is the playoff Kawhi y’all talked about

I can't wait for Kawhi to join the Clippers

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    bah!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Nobody on earth gets blocked more than Tobias Harris. It’s insane.

I’m just so done.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Denver's been sitting consistently at +10 but it feels like they should up 20. They didn't capitalize enough on the 1st quarter.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Did the spurs not realize they were down 4 there?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Milwaukee looks completely lost in this game. They can't get anything working inside and Horford is eating them alive on both ends.

Boston finally looks like the team they were cracked up to be.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    It seems like the refs are so sick of Harden's shit that they would rather let are just going to let Thompson jump into him on three pointers as much as he wants. Anything to not get caught by a flop I guess.

edited April 2019
    They're also calling some real late ass fouls.

Carpy on
    I want a gif of Iggy doinking that pass off Klay's chest. We died watching it

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Harden's gonna get injured if they don't start blowing the whistle a little:

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Refs are really boning Houston

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Seems they're making up for it. Bad call to give Curry his 5th foul with like 8 minutes left.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Seems they're making up for it. Bad call to give Curry his 5th foul with like 8 minutes left.

Nah, defenders have been in Harden’s landing area repeatedly and the refs are letting it happen.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Harden's gonna get injured if they don't start blowing the whistle a little:

Wow, those are pretty blatant...

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    what a shitshow

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I despise James Harden but that was some bullshit.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Are players technically entitled to move forward at all during a jump shot? I feel like the rules are super duper vague here. Especially when talking about drives (where whether you get a foul or a charge is almost entirely correlated with the name on your jersey).

I'm not saying those aren't usually called fouls, especially for Harden - I'm just asking what the rules actually say, because in reading them online there doesn't seem to be anything specific to this situation.

does Steve Kerr tell his players to try and injure the other teams star players

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Marathon wrote: »
    Kasyn wrote: »

Nah, defenders have been in Harden’s landing area repeatedly and the refs are letting it happen.

That is also true, but that doesn't make a phantom call to give Curry his 5th with so much time left any less bad. Refs definitely did seem to be trying to make up for the first half by tightening up the whistle on the Dubs in the second, but they didn't change the way they were calling the closeouts.

A lot of these would almost certainly have been calls in almost every other game this season.

That said, it's extremely difficult for me to have any sympathy for James Harden or Chris Paul on anything related to officiating, two incredible players who are impossible to fully appreciate because they have some of the most degenerate styles in all of modern basketball.

Some really sloppy play by the Rockets at the tail end, they had a window to get back in it but just completely shit the bed on their own.

Kasyn on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Agreed. Honestly out of every team in the league the Rockets have the least room to bitch about officiating given they abuse it so freely and willingly.

And any team facing Steph Curry also has little room to complain given the refs almost never give him foul calls for the exact same thing people are bitching for Harden about now. Steph has literally altered his landing over the years to ensure he doesn't break an ankle because defenders undercut him at will.

I also think people are unconsciously being biased by Mark Jackson's complete inability to call a Warriors game fairly.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    That is mostly where I land I think.

I'd like to see fouls called correctly moving forward, but for the Rockets to complain about officiating when their star player has made a career out of abusing the rules I find it an incredibly tough row to hoe to dredge up much sympathy for them.

For the Rockets to miss the game tying shot because James Harden tried to draw a foul instead of attempting to actually make the shot in the final seconds of the game is cosmic justice being handed out.

They lost a game to the Pelicans earlier in the season because he literally ran off the court instead of trying to score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWVwI26SWM

The worst part is he is good enough to be an amazing player without relying on this bullshit. Players have trouble guarding him because Harden will pin arms, push off, climb on, jump into and all manner of behaviour to try and draw a foul. They're left with the choice of either conceding space to just try and avoid the possibility he would run into them, or challenging and having the above happen and giving up fouls.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    does Steve Kerr tell his players to try and injure the other teams star players

Oh please

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    *seethes in Kawhi Leonard Spurs jersey*

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I am legitimately amazed that Kevin McHale is paid actual American dollars to announce basketball. Dude is so awful. So much announcing talent out there and this is what we get.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    The Rockets had an entire memo contending that the refs cost them a finals appearance last year and it's so embarrassing that I hope they never win another game.

DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The Rockets had an entire memo contending that the refs cost them a finals appearance last year and it's so embarrassing that I hope they never win another game.

Everyone wants to hate the Warriors at this point, and the Rockets are bending over backwards to make themselves look like the assholes in this situation.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rockets and Warriors both are terrible and I hope they somehow eliminate each other.

the Rockets take 80 threes and make 20 of them and wonder why they lose

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    the Rockets take 80 threes and make 20 of them and wonder why they lose

Chuck is that you?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I agree with all takes

stop playing hero ball, Kenny

This discussion has been closed.