As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shipping a car

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
What the title says. I need to get a car from one end of the US to the other. If all else fails I can drive it, but it's a very small car and the money and time involved make it impractical. My father-in-law said it would run about $2500, which is even less feasible. Does anyone have experience with having a car shipped, and is that really the kind of money I can expect from an agency? Any recommendations? Unfortunately the car is not replaceable.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    First page of hits on google put it closer to the $800-1200 range for a cross country trip, if that helps any.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    When I moved from Illinois to California in 2017, I asked for a quote to ship my 2004 Corolla from one company and they said $1298. I ended up selling the car instead.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    2500 is high. I would guess closer to 1k, especially if it’s two major markets.

Basically you’ll pick one of the many websites that do this, put in your information, and then you’ll get a shitload of quotes both by email and phone from companies you e never heard of. The front end websites are basically just middlemen between you and the shipping companies, who are in turn basically middlemen between you and the truck. Everyone involved has terrible reviews and it’s very difficult to make informed choices.

That said, both times I’ve done this it turned out fine. Pick a quote in the middle from someone with decent reviews, as best you can tell.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Even at $1000, it might actually be cheaper to take the time off, drive it, then fly back.

But do be careful and research the fuck out of these companies because cars that aren't replaceable tend to get stolen/damaged in transit so they can milk you for more money.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Check if there is an train-based shipping between two nearby cities. Up and down the east coast it ran us about $300 but you have to be flexible on when it arrives.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I used http://autotransportaat.com/ to ship my cars from VA to CA, and it went pretty great. I don't remember the exact rate I paid, but it was less than your quote for both.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2019
    I don't mind when it gets here as long as it does. When I googled the best-looking one I came up with had ratings that seemed almost too good for a middleman, which is why I'm asking for experiences/recommendations/ideas.

The car is a 2000 Toyota MR2. I love that little car, and even though the KBB is pretty low it would be an absolute bear to find for sale in that good condition. Because the KBB is low I would never be able to recoup what the car is worth to me. I know there are enthusiasts out there (I've run into one or two) but most aren't really looking to sell. 2000 is arguably their best year and they're long, long out of production. So it is worth a good bit to me to have shipped here. The almost-as-big consideration is that I need to do something with my kids for that time and one way or another that will be its own expense.

I need to fly out there anyway to sign papers for it, so that expense isn't part of the consideration.

ceres on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It depends on what you mean by across the country, some areas it is practical and cheap to ship the car by train. I believe someone needs to take it to and pick it up from the train station, and I’m not sure the cost, I tried to get a quote but everything wanted to call me.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Central-ish PA to Vegas.

I also don't want randos calling me, or even emailing me, so I'm hoping to wind up with a direction before I start putting info into fields for quotes from lord knows who.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Pay for someone you trust to drive it?

camo_sig.png
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If you consider shipping/freight/train be sure to find out the requirements. Depending on how you do it, they may require all the fluids be drained and battery be disconnected. Which means you need to have it prepped and then towed to be loaded into a container, as well as a way to pick it up at the arrival point. There's also the possibility you can't have anything else in the vehicle, trunk or otherwise.

Call and find out about that stuff before you price out your options. it looks like a 34 hour drive.

30mpg, 2200 miles, average gas price is around $2.71/gal but you will probably pay closer to $3 average

2200/30 is 73 Gallons (probably slightly more since the car is older and it wont all be highway) that's $220-$250 in gas as a low estimate.

Hotel - 3 nights at $100 a night (probably save some of this if you plan your route to stop in middle-of-nowhere hotels) that's $300 as a high estimate.

Food - 30$/day is a pretty good estimate, you may not necessarily buy a subway sandwich and drink three times a day but you should definitely eat a meal at night and have a few small snacks while driving. We'll call it 3 days and figure the first and last day may be cheaper. Assuming 4 days at 8 hours a day of driving with a little extra at the end, that's at least 3 days of road food. $90.

You're in the northeast, there are toll roads... you'd have to figure that out but I have been as far east as Nashville, TN and all the way to the pacific ocean and once you get out of the east coast you don't end out paying any tolls along 80W or 440W (old Route 66).

So,

$250 in gas.
    $300 for hotels (probably drop that by 30% if you plan carefully)
    $90+ for food, depending on what you eat.
    $??? toll roads/bridges.

$640, wear on the vehicle and 4 days of driving 8 hours a day,

Personally I love driving and if it were somewhere I lived and you offered to pay for gas and food I'd do it in 3 days as a vacation. With the childcare and other hassles you face, I probably wouldn't even consider driving it yourself unless that's the last option or you really like road trips. 4 days of your time and $600+, I think if you can find it for under $1500 where you don't have to drain the gas tank and have it towed to the cargo yard that would be your best bet. Or you could be like me and just love driving cross country, the time of year that it is right now you'd probably hit some really great convertible weather once you hit Utah and it's a little magical.

Final option would be to road trip it with a friend and share driving, you could potentially cut all the time costs and hotel costs if you have someone who wants to go with you. It would probably be pretty fun. One of my best memories is being in Elko, NV and eating a Subway sandwich in a parking lot or somewhere between Oaklahoma City and Amarillo at a hotel that basically only exists so that road crews and truckers have a place to sleep. Something about it is just awesome.

Edit:

You might be able to call a used car dealership in your area and find out what company they use or whether they have any suggestions. They go to auctions all over the place to get a hold of cars and have to get them back to the lot.

dispatch.o on
    I looked up my old quote. It was $2100 to move both a Scion xD and a Nissan Juke.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    2500 sounds a little high for just one car

i don't remember the name as its been like.. a decade since I entertained this notion, but when I was researching it, I found a company that basically pools shipped cars together and will deliver them whenever it so happens there's a truck going that way

and I want to say it was about 1k for a solid distance, over a thousand miles, with the caveat that the delivery date was pretty slow because it was just subject to availability

I would love to pay a friend to drive it over but finding a friend I trust to drive my car that far and can take the time to do it and also drive stick is a vanishing intersection of all those sets.

I called the company for another quote because I'll be moving next week, and they quoted 900 for my xD from LA to Seattle.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I would jump at the chance to drive an MR2 cross country. They are sweet little cars, I'm particularly fond of the early-mid 90s models. If all else fails, PM me haha.

I haven't shipped a car personally, but I've done some research on it and UShip.com seems to be the default option for finding a carrier. I believe that was the service my brother used when he shipped his Focus from Cali to MI, but I can confirm with him tomorrow and get you some more details.

Following up, yeah my brother went through U-Ship as a broker, the transport company he ended up going with was called tropical auto carriers or something similar. $950 shipped from Cali to MI, took about a week and a half. Was pretty seamless, and the car was in great condition when it arrived.

My FIL, who is passing along the car, is apparently pretty insistent that I drive it. Which.. I can do, but he's out of town when I'll be around and the title transfer needs to be notarized, and he won't be back until quite a bit after I'd want to be on the road if I'm going to drive it.

So new question: We're in different states, and I'm still not entirely sure what I need to do as a "buyer," I think I need a temporary plate that will be good across state lines. The problem is that he and I won't be in the same place (or even in the same state) at the same time at any point without one of us drastically changing plans on which considerable money has already been spent. We know that as a "seller" his signature needs to be notarized, but does mine? Can he have it notarized and then leave it with my mom so I can just sign it and take it? Would the notary be able to hang onto it until I get there? I can always have it notarized on my own on my end, but does it need to be signed simultaneously? I know I need to call my insurance company ASAP whatever happens and that's a whole other thing.

There are pretty specific rules and procedures for sellers in his state, but both our states are pretty light on info for the buyer. I think I need a temporary PA registration? And then I can register it here in NV when I get back? I have never had to do anything like this before and the real hitch is that we won't be able to do it together.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I think I need a temporary PA registration? And then I can register it here in NV when I get back?

Yes/yes. It also sounds like you'll need to get the title transferred to you in PA, then transfer it to NV.

Which sounds like a lot of paperwork? I bought a vehicle from out of state (NJ -> FL) once, they just sent me their title which had a section where they had signed it as being transferred to "_______" and I just signed my name and took it to my local DMV.

Per the PA DMV you (or your FIL) may also need a form indicating it was a gift to avoid some kind of tax:
    If the vehicle is being given as a gift, the Form MV-13ST (PDF), “Affidavit of Gift” must be attached to the title application. This form must be completed by all transferees and transferors and attached to Form MV-1 or MV-4ST for any transfer for which a gift exemption (Exemption 13) for purposes of Pennsylvania Sales and Use Tax is claimed.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/VEHICLE-SERVICES/Title-Registration/Pages/Buying-a-Vehicle.aspx

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    FFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffff he's not going to know how to do that or even that he has to. My MIL was a tax consultant and notary public, we got her car when she couldn't drive it anymore and that was about 6 months ago. She most likely did all that and had it sent off without anyone else needing to so much as look at or think about it ah crap.

I'm not a PA resident, I have no idea where that applies to me and I guess I'll need to look that up too.

Fartmuffins.

I'm not seeing why you would need to register in PA and then do it again for NV. Should just be a single registration for NV purchasing a vehicle from out of state.

Now as far as driving back, I don't think a temp plate is necessary. At least in Michigan, I know that you don't need a plate to drive home as long as you have the signed title/bill of sale with you. I would imagine most states would be similar, but you could check with each state you're going to drive through if you're really concerned about it.

I've never been pulled over for not having a plate, not even when I drove my wife's Tahoe back from Missouri to Michigan when we bought it. Police cars aren't typically looking at the back of your vehicle when you're on the interstate, they're much more interested in if you're speeding.

edited April 2019
    Nevada is annoying, you apparently need a "movement permit."

From the DMV site:
    The buyer must obtain insurance and a movement permit to drive the vehicle on public streets. Present the signed-off title or other proof of ownership at a DMV office for a movement permit.

So the steps you need:

1) FIL sends signed PA title sent to you
    2) You sign title
    3) Get insurance
    4) Get movement permit from Nevada DMV (probably just register at the same time)
    5) drive home

By my read, there is no requirement for a notarized title in NV, and there's also no special paperwork for family transfers. You can contact them and double check, but it shouldn't be a huge hassle to get this done.

mRahmani on
    edited April 2019
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Nevada is annoying, you apparently need a "movement permit."

From the DMV site:
    The buyer must obtain insurance and a movement permit to drive the vehicle on public streets. Present the signed-off title or other proof of ownership at a DMV office for a movement permit.

So the steps you need:

1) FIL sends signed PA title sent to you
    2) You sign title
    3) Get insurance
    4) Get movement permit from Nevada DMV (probably just register at the same time)
    5) drive home

By my read, there is no requirement for a notarized title in NV, and there's also no special paperwork for family transfers. You can contact them and double check, but it shouldn't be a huge hassle to get this done.

You should probably contact them both either way. PA's DMV (mobile) website sucks.

My main unresolved question is: Is an NV movement permit valid out of state for the purposes of driving back to NV?

All the Other-state -> NV advice I could find included the suggestion that you needed a temporary tag from the state of origin, but I can't find any definitive statement either way.

How/if you can obtain a PA temp without a PA driver's license or proper title is a bit of a mystery, because the website answers "How do I get a temporary registration?" with "At your nearest authorized PennDot agent[, duh]" (see: PA's DMV (mobile) website sucks).

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    I talked to my FIL and it looks like from his research we won't need to be in the same place at the same time if he gets things notarized and all the info he uses matches the info on my license, and the car is already listed on my insurance plan.

That all seems easy enough, so I should be able to turn around the day after I get there. Now I just have to get the hang of driving stick again in the space of about 12 hours well enough to drive the car across the country. I haven't driven a manual transmission car since about '12 or so. :P The real bummer about the drive is that since I need to bring the hard top too I don't get to drive with the top down. :/

• MoonmoveMoonmove Registered User new member
    You can probably find a shipper that will do it for less than $2500. I would still expect around $2,000 though, maybe a little less if you get lucky. If you need a rec I've used A-1 Auto Transport before and they were more affordable than others I looked at. They'll give you a free quote if you call them 800 452-2880.

As long as it's bumped, and for the sake of people googling in here: How did this shake out?

Did you have to get a PA temp tag? Was the NV movement permit good out of state?

My husband ended up getting the car in early July and I think my FIL just signed it over. We didn't need to sign the title I don't think.. I'm pretty sure he drove it on the old tags and then had it registered when he got here. I don't remember the exact timeline, but it ended up going pretty smoothly. :)

Car here, thread resolved, thanks guys. :)

This discussion has been closed.