As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Oh it'll do perfectly fine. The number of people (like me) who are actually actively avoiding the Epic store are, I'd wager, a tiny (if not insignificant) percentage of game buyers.

It'll just have to do fine without me, though. :razz:

I'm agreeing to concerned folks being a tiny sliver. I still have to decide if I'm going to get BL3 at launch.

The fact that I have to think about whether to immediately order Borderlands 3 SHOULD CONCERN GEARBOX THAT THIS MOVE MIGHT NOT BE WITHOUT SOME DEGREE OF DOWNSIDE.
    From what I hear, these exclusivity deals also come with compensation if the move to the EGS causes lower than projected sales or somesuch, so there's kinda not a downside.

MY NOT PREORDERING THE GAME IS THE DOWNSIDE IN THIS SCENARIO.

And the multiple copies left ungifted

Does epic even support gifting?

It does not.

steam_sig.png
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Oh it'll do perfectly fine. The number of people (like me) who are actually actively avoiding the Epic store are, I'd wager, a tiny (if not insignificant) percentage of game buyers.

I'm agreeing to concerned folks being a tiny sliver. I still have to decide if I'm going to get BL3 at launch.

The fact that I have to think about whether to immediately order Borderlands 3 SHOULD CONCERN GEARBOX THAT THIS MOVE MIGHT NOT BE WITHOUT SOME DEGREE OF DOWNSIDE.
    From what I hear, these exclusivity deals also come with compensation if the move to the EGS causes lower than projected sales or somesuch, so there's kinda not a downside.

AND EXPLOSIONS!

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm sure glad I didn't pre-order Steamworld Quest on the switch because it sounds kinda mediocre unfortunately. You're either better served playing Battle Chasers: Nightwar if you want pretty JRPG combat, Slay The Spire if you want fun card synergies or any other Steamworld game for as pretty graphical design asthetic.

Will probably still buy it eventually but I might just use this as an excuse to buy Heist again

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

It does not.

Bah! BAH, I SAY! A plague on Epic's houses.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

It does not.

Bah! BAH, I SAY! A plague on Epic's houses.

Though, you can purchase keys through gmg and humble, so... loophole I guess?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    As thanks for being a loyal Humble Monthly subscriber, we’d like to give you the chance to share Humble Monthly with a friend.

You can use the following link to grant a friend a free trial. They’ll get one free month of Humble Monthly when they subscribe for the first time!
    *Free trial offer only available to new subscribers. Limit free one month issued per link. This free trial offer expires on May 3, 2019 at 10:00amPT. Your friend must subscribe to Humble Monthly in order to receive their free month. Once the free month ends, your friend will be billed for subsequent months on a Monthly plan for $12/month.

Lemme know if any of you want the link for a free trial.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I'm sure glad I didn't pre-order Steamworld Quest on the switch because it sounds kinda mediocre unfortunately. You're either better served playing Battle Chasers: Nightwar if you want pretty JRPG combat, Slay The Spire if you want fun card synergies or any other Steamworld game for as pretty graphical design asthetic.

Will probably still buy it eventually but I might just use this as an excuse to buy Heist again

Everything I've been seeing about Steamworld Quest (subtitle: Hand of Gilgamech, which is pretty good) seems to say that it's pretty good. And I like Slay the Spire and the Steamworld games so mixing the two in theory should be good.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just started playing Steamworld Quest last night. Got to the first boss. It definitely has a lot going on in the early aspects of combat and deckbuilding. The story has been silly and tropey, but I really don't care about that sort of thing.

Not seeing much negative about it so far. That could change, but I don't see it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    As thanks for being a loyal Humble Monthly subscriber, we’d like to give you the chance to share Humble Monthly with a friend.

You can use the following link to grant a friend a free trial. They’ll get one free month of Humble Monthly when they subscribe for the first time!
    *Free trial offer only available to new subscribers. Limit free one month issued per link. This free trial offer expires on May 3, 2019 at 10:00amPT. Your friend must subscribe to Humble Monthly in order to receive their free month. Once the free month ends, your friend will be billed for subsequent months on a Monthly plan for $12/month.

Lemme know if any of you want the link for a free trial.

Just as a reminder, the two teased games are AssOri and Wandersong. The reveal for the rest will be next week.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Play Battle Chasers anyway even if you do get Steamworld.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Dunno, i find Tim mostly believable. He's saying if Steam actually matched their payouts, then Epic would quit the store business entirely, because it wouldn't be worth Epic's while if they had to offer even more of a payout incentive to compete again. Because they sure as hell aren't interested in competing by building a decent service.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tim saw the backlash to Metro being pulled from Steam so it could be an Epic store exclusive, flat out said "We're not doing that again" and then weeks later did it AGAIN with Observer(I think, it was a O named game) and went "Well, we're going to leave it to developers/publishers decide on whether or not they want to pull a game from Steam in order to accept the big bags of money we're offering them."

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Tim saw the backlash to Metro being pulled from Steam so it could be an Epic store exclusive, flat out said "We're not doing that again" and then weeks later did it AGAIN with Observer(I think, it was a O named game) and went "Well, we're going to leave it to developers/publishers decide on whether or not they want to pull a game from Steam in order to accept the big bags of money we're offering them."

Anno 1800 did it too.

I’m not bitter I didn’t buy it when steam still had it. Nope, not one bit. Ok maybe a fair number of bits.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, if anyone is following along, I've picked out a winner in the Vampire contest.

Buuuuuut... Steam won't let me log in on my phone right now to send the prize, so I'm not *announcing* the winner yet. So, it won't be until I'm home later. Suspense! :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, if anyone is following along, I've picked out a winner in the Vampire contest.

Buuuuuut... Steam won't let me log in on my phone right now to send the prize, so I'm not *announcing* the winner yet. So, it won't be until I'm home later. Suspense! :lol:

It's more on brand to not announce the winner until after sundown anyway.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Blah blah blah winner blah blah blah vampire contest. *skim skim skim*

Ah, there were go. Congrats Suspense!

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That both bites and sucks.

It's more on brand to not announce the winner until after sundown anyway.

Good point.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Anno 1800 did it too.

I’m not bitter I didn’t buy it when steam still had it. Nope, not one bit. Ok maybe a fair number of bits.

You can buy Anno from the uplay store though. The Uplay store has most of the features you'd want from steam (and the steam download would activate on uplay anyway). It also does not have the issues the epic store has re. account security.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I bought Anno 1800 through GMG for discount and it was Uplay key. Uplay is quickly becoming Origin, just sits in the background and does nothing.

Also, Anno 1800 is great and any city builder fan should buy it.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Huh, Natural Selection 2 got an update today, I haven't played that in forever, might be a fun thing to reinstall for the weekend. I had no idea it was still active.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    LD50 wrote: »

Anno 1800 did it too.

You can buy Anno from the uplay store though. The Uplay store has most of the features you'd want from steam (and the steam download would activate on uplay anyway). It also does not have the issues the epic store has re. account security.

This is the second time I've forgotten that it's still on uplay.

Oh well, least I'm consistent.

steam_sig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Anno 1800 did it too.

Will the epic store randomly claim I never owned a game that it still says I have several hours and achievements on and take weeks of going through multiple customer service people to get it back the way uplay does?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Anno 1800 did it too.

Will the epic store randomly claim I never owned a game that it still says I have several hours and achievements on and take weeks of going through multiple customer service people to get it back the way uplay does?

It's a company, so yes.

steam_sig.png
    VAMPIRES!

I had a lot of vampire entries. More than I expected, really! And a lot -- nay, most -- of them were quite good. Picking a favorite was difficult! Among the entries:

I was offered a vampire dentist. A door-kicking gangrel bandit. A nosferatu who really just wants to be a stage actor. A brujah with a preference for fighting with a bladed fan. A brilliant ventrue fixer who always knows a guy. And a collector of aliases and identities. I heard about a private investigator who investigated too close to the wrong thing and now has fangs to show for it. I was regaled with a tale of Whitey Bulger's conversion to the life of a nosferatu. Someone else informed me that a vampire was responsible for the Great Molasses Flood of 1919. There was a 10th century norse vampire with a bit of hatred for werewolves. And then the German scholar whose curiosity led him into an unfortunate introduction to life as a Tremere.

Someone posited a nosferatu who was a janitor in life but is now a clean-up guy. You know... when the gangrel tears someone apart in a frenzy and someone has to clean up the mess for the sake of the masquerade, this is the guy they call, along with his cohort of ghouls.

How about a motorcycle club of one? Formerly a group of vampires, now it's just the leader (a Ravnos vampire) who devoured the others and now rides the night alongside illusions of his former companions.

But in the end, I had to pick this next one, because the character appeals to me and it fits the campaign. It gives me a solid NPC, a solid background, some good story hooks, and even a place to use for setting a range of scenes. Meet Adam Hazzard, by @Fleeb:
    Adam Hazzard (often just called Hazzard) was born in the early 1960s in the working-class neighborhood of Roxbury . He grew up a latchkey kid, both parents were hardworking and decent, but distant, and Adam was more or less left to fend for himself as he came of age in the early 1980s. He quickly embraced the punk and skinhead scene, distinguishing himself with both his street fighting ability and his intelligence. Public school held no interest for him, bars and pool halls were his classrooms. He learned the arts of the guitar and the swung bottle and became a master of both. He picked up enough Irish and Italian to be able to make himself understood in those insular communities, although no one would ever mistake him for a native speaker. He eventually found himself fronting a punk band during the heyday of the movement. Racial issues were often at the forefront... forced busing and integration in the 70s led to resentment among the working class whites of Boston, and racist skinheads seized upon that resentment to spread a message of hatred. Hazzard and others stood against this, forming the grass roots of what would eventually become the SHARPs. When both of his parents were killed in an industrial accident he threw himself headlong into his art, activism, and alcohol. He was accustomed to sleeping the day away on a series of friends' couches or in abandoned buildings, rising at sundown to drink and thrash the night away, bloodied knuckles and empty pockets were often all there was to show after a night of performing.

At some point during this time Hazzard attracted the attention of what appeared to be a young woman whom he'd seen lurking around the edges of the scene. Properly dressed for the time and place... but the jeans were subtly yet artificially cut and faded, the haircut just a little too exquisitely disheveled, the studs on her belt too impeccably polished, her eyes just a little too bright. She called herself Jen. Some poser girl obviously... a fun tumble for the night, why not. As it happened she was a Toreador, enchanted by his passion and his art... punk music isn't particularly known for it's finesse, but it was obvious there was real skill and devotion hiding behind the slammed out chords and screamed lyrics. She stayed with him for a month after the embrace, showing him the joys and obligations of unlife. Then one night she was gone without trace, none of the kindred he'd been introduced to claimed to know anything about her whereabouts.

Hazzard continues his old life to the best of his abilities. He is devoted to his art and is a fierce protector of his neighborhood, although he has watched in some despair as the industrial heart of the city has become hollowed out and commercialized, trendy hipster clubs replacing the blue collar dive bars of his earlier life. He's had to distance himself from his remaining old mortal hangouts... his apparent immunity to the ravages of age has caused some commentary amongst the rapidly greying Boston punk community. He has instead become more active behind the scenes, opening his own punk venue (the Boots and Braces) and promoting up-and-coming musical acts. He still remains active in social justice and anti-racism circles, and regularly publishes the "Tooth and Nail" an anti-racist ska and punk fanzine.

Hazzard is quite charismatic, although he never was particularly handsome. His passion and intensity draw attention even when he is not performing on stage. His skill with the guitar was incredible enough when he was mortal and has only improved after his embrace... he is a musical chameleon and can play hundreds of songs from various genres flawlessly, although ska and punk are still his first and strongest loves. He prefers the weapons of his youth, the chain, the brass knuckles, and the broken bottle. He is a supporter of the Camarilla, although his venue is open to any who respect the need for a community and a low profile. He tries to feed as little as possible while keeping the Beast at bay, and never taking enough to cause lasting harm to the victim.

Congrats to Fleeb! Now accept my damn friend invite! <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Uuuhh I kinda need Hazzard short-story fiction now. Great job @Fleeb!

steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Well, apart from cleaning frosting off the keyboard and half the staff getting buzzed on catnip around here, things are just kind of quiet. Apparently birthdays stop being such a big thing as you get old. I just know I have a trip out to get a few things I want tomorrow, and some steam credit I used to chuck something so my gifting skills don't get rusty.

Of course, then there's stuff like this to kind of look forward to:

dg6qxyd36qln.png

Many thanks to @Spoit for The Curse of Monkey Island!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    hbfrft82zow8.png

Apparently when @JaysonFour says "keep gifting skills from getting rusty" he reallys means "pick on the pixie."

Thanks for all the 2nd year barbarian goodness! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that this is out in May on Steam(!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV4WyzJV3eM

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Sonic is fast on his feet... does he really need a car?

Also that looks way better now than it did when it was announced. I'll miss all the other Sega franchise characters from All Stars Transformed, but I do like a good kart racer.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Sonic is fast on his feet... does he really need a car?.

Consider it a sportsmanlike handicap.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    So apparently it's not even safe to NOT enter @Pixelated Pixie's contest...
    sjd62u62rz62.jpg
    Thanks for making me cry, I can finally play DMC2 and see how amazing everyone says that it is! <3<3<3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
    Well to be far... @Malakaius offered up (unofficially, in chat) a Malkavian puppeteer who only speaks through the severed head of a Ventrue. A Ventruliquist. How could that NOT get a prize of some sort, am I right?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    And I find another hole in my roof. We're still picking frosting from the controls, but honestly, it was a pretty good day.

Apparently @KoopahTroopah decided I was in need of another gift:

qdtsh1lmttwc.png

Many thanks for Fairy Fencer F!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Well to be far... @Malakaius offered up (unofficially, in chat) a Malkavian puppeteer who only speaks through the severed head of a Ventrue. A Ventruliquist. How could that NOT get a prize of some sort, am I right?
    This is amazing.

And terrible.

Congratulations!

I hate you.

:mad:
    <3

Bedlam on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Sonic is fast on his feet... does he really need a car?

Someone in Hollywood at least is convinced he needs a vehicle.

5gsowHm.png
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    VAMPIRES!

I had a lot of vampire entries. More than I expected, really! And a lot -- nay, most -- of them were quite good. Picking a favorite was difficult! Among the entries:

I was offered a vampire dentist. A door-kicking gangrel bandit. A nosferatu who really just wants to be a stage actor. A brujah with a preference for fighting with a bladed fan. A brilliant ventrue fixer who always knows a guy. And a collector of aliases and identities. I heard about a private investigator who investigated too close to the wrong thing and now has fangs to show for it. I was regaled with a tale of Whitey Bulger's conversion to the life of a nosferatu. Someone else informed me that a vampire was responsible for the Great Molasses Flood of 1919. There was a 10th century norse vampire with a bit of hatred for werewolves. And then the German scholar whose curiosity led him into an unfortunate introduction to life as a Tremere.

Someone posited a nosferatu who was a janitor in life but is now a clean-up guy. You know... when the gangrel tears someone apart in a frenzy and someone has to clean up the mess for the sake of the masquerade, this is the guy they call, along with his cohort of ghouls.

How about a motorcycle club of one? Formerly a group of vampires, now it's just the leader (a Ravnos vampire) who devoured the others and now rides the night alongside illusions of his former companions.

But in the end, I had to pick this next one, because the character appeals to me and it fits the campaign. It gives me a solid NPC, a solid background, some good story hooks, and even a place to use for setting a range of scenes. Meet Adam Hazzard, by @Fleeb:
    Adam Hazzard (often just called Hazzard) was born in the early 1960s in the working-class neighborhood of Roxbury . He grew up a latchkey kid, both parents were hardworking and decent, but distant, and Adam was more or less left to fend for himself as he came of age in the early 1980s. He quickly embraced the punk and skinhead scene, distinguishing himself with both his street fighting ability and his intelligence. Public school held no interest for him, bars and pool halls were his classrooms. He learned the arts of the guitar and the swung bottle and became a master of both. He picked up enough Irish and Italian to be able to make himself understood in those insular communities, although no one would ever mistake him for a native speaker. He eventually found himself fronting a punk band during the heyday of the movement. Racial issues were often at the forefront... forced busing and integration in the 70s led to resentment among the working class whites of Boston, and racist skinheads seized upon that resentment to spread a message of hatred. Hazzard and others stood against this, forming the grass roots of what would eventually become the SHARPs. When both of his parents were killed in an industrial accident he threw himself headlong into his art, activism, and alcohol. He was accustomed to sleeping the day away on a series of friends' couches or in abandoned buildings, rising at sundown to drink and thrash the night away, bloodied knuckles and empty pockets were often all there was to show after a night of performing.

At some point during this time Hazzard attracted the attention of what appeared to be a young woman whom he'd seen lurking around the edges of the scene. Properly dressed for the time and place... but the jeans were subtly yet artificially cut and faded, the haircut just a little too exquisitely disheveled, the studs on her belt too impeccably polished, her eyes just a little too bright. She called herself Jen. Some poser girl obviously... a fun tumble for the night, why not. As it happened she was a Toreador, enchanted by his passion and his art... punk music isn't particularly known for it's finesse, but it was obvious there was real skill and devotion hiding behind the slammed out chords and screamed lyrics. She stayed with him for a month after the embrace, showing him the joys and obligations of unlife. Then one night she was gone without trace, none of the kindred he'd been introduced to claimed to know anything about her whereabouts.

Hazzard continues his old life to the best of his abilities. He is devoted to his art and is a fierce protector of his neighborhood, although he has watched in some despair as the industrial heart of the city has become hollowed out and commercialized, trendy hipster clubs replacing the blue collar dive bars of his earlier life. He's had to distance himself from his remaining old mortal hangouts... his apparent immunity to the ravages of age has caused some commentary amongst the rapidly greying Boston punk community. He has instead become more active behind the scenes, opening his own punk venue (the Boots and Braces) and promoting up-and-coming musical acts. He still remains active in social justice and anti-racism circles, and regularly publishes the "Tooth and Nail" an anti-racist ska and punk fanzine.

Hazzard is quite charismatic, although he never was particularly handsome. His passion and intensity draw attention even when he is not performing on stage. His skill with the guitar was incredible enough when he was mortal and has only improved after his embrace... he is a musical chameleon and can play hundreds of songs from various genres flawlessly, although ska and punk are still his first and strongest loves. He prefers the weapons of his youth, the chain, the brass knuckles, and the broken bottle. He is a supporter of the Camarilla, although his venue is open to any who respect the need for a community and a low profile. He tries to feed as little as possible while keeping the Beast at bay, and never taking enough to cause lasting harm to the victim.

Congrats to Fleeb! Now accept my damn friend invite! <3

Woo hoo! Glad you liked him, I had a blast writing this up. I figured most people would identify punks with brujah, but what if... :D invite accepted :biggrin: The other vamps presented sound incredible, that was some stiff (haha) competition!
    A Ventruliquist.

Oh my god that's incredible :lol:

Fleeb on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Woof, just beat Heaven Will Be Mine because for something so short it sure is heavy.

The story takes place from the perspective of three different women who you choose at the start of a game: Luna-Terra an old ace of the Earth Loyalists, Pluto a princess and uniter of the new unifying Space Regime, and Saturn the punk of the Celestial Mechanics. Each wields their own Ship-Self, basically a fully integrated Giant Mecha that wields its own abilities and Gravity to combat the other factions and execute their own plans. For the Earth calls back its wayward children from the stars, the Existential Threat is defeated, and all must bask in Her Gravity.

It's a queer sci-fi story where you pick the route each mission taken on each day takes place and then reveal in the dialogue between the pilots and their handlers. Comms and messages flesh out the world and you get a better understanding of this strange world.

While the game only clocks in at 1.2 hours to beat, it has at least 4 different playthroughs minimum and that's not including the others where you let a different faction win during your playthrough.

The reason it took so long to beat is I would finish a day and then need to process the info.

There is some lewd artwork involved but nothing super over the top IMO.

Another big thanks to @Orivon for the game!

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Played an indie porn game that reminded me so much of tropico and evil genius, i heard central and south American music when i went to bed.

Reinstalling tropico whatever

This discussion has been closed.