As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I didn’t get the one with the energy hardpoint and I regretted it.

I’ve never used that ballistic hard point and doubt I ever will.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm trying to update MWO but the latest patch always gets hung up about 15 percent into downloading. So I uninstalled MWO and a fresh download gets hung up in the same spot.

You using the stand alone launcher or Steam?

If you are using the stand alone one, I think there is a link they have to download the patch by itself and you manually install it.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2019/04/2266-patch-notes-141990-16apr2019
    Or direct link:
    http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/frontend/FrontendPatch_357.zip

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Nobody wrote: »

I got the silly one with the ballistic arm. I regret not getting a more MW2 version. I think I got it for free or something though.

In other news, apparently the MW5 preorder came with some paint colors, but only a mintish green and skyish blue and, like, a darker blue? So now all my mechs have a silly light green and light blue paint scheme.
    Hopefully the event runs through the weekend and hopefully I get some time over the weekend.

monkeykins on
    monkeykins wrote: »

I got the silly one with the ballistic arm. I regret not getting a more MW2 version. I think I got it for free or something though.

In other news, apparently the MW5 preorder came with some paint colors, but only a mintish green and skyish blue and, like, a darker blue? So now all my mechs have a silly light green and light blue paint scheme.
    Hopefully the event runs through the weekend and hopefully I get some time over the weekend.

I think that’s the TBR-C variant, and the arm is used on a couple of suggested builds I run across (throwing a Gauss Rifle on it and lasers in the torsos and other arm).

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In all honesty, if his team had followed up with him they would have killed half of my team easily. My team had split, half of us had nascared around while the other half stayed where he dropped down. Wasn’t really shown there either but it was an 8 Assault game if that helps visualize it.

Following up would have kept Blackhawk alive and killed the 5 mechs in his general area, and I was sort of by myself (close enough to catch up to the tail of my nascar but I’d have to hustle) to finish off.

Instead they stubbornly held the top and he didn’t communicate his plan, so he died and we picked off the rest of his team at leisure.

Yeah, I'm not saying what he was doing was wrong at all (just looking at the positioning of the mechs he engaged/was engaged by really shows how scattered your team was)...I'm just being critical of the way PGI labels things.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    So I logged back in to MWO for the first time in ages.. Got my bludgeon and Corsair.. Neat.. Oh! I seem to have bought a Pirates Bane and then... Not used it?

Imma hafta fix that.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
    @Erlkönig @Nobody So last minute Oosik night? I was out of the office all day so didn't get a chance to post this earlier today.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    In preordering MW5, I got....stuff, and something about a Marauder II. 4.5 million C-Bills is obviously not enough to buy anything. I joined the Clans because they are getting their teeth kicked in. But upon poking around in my Mech Lab, I couldn't find my new mech. What the heck did I get? Do purchases need to start the game over to refresh and appear?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2019
    Go in your account on the MW5 site and there should be a code you have to put into the MWO site.

Edit: https://mw5mercs.com/profile

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Good drops tonight folks.

King Crab is still king, and those 3 drops meant I finished off all of the Day 4 tasks. I did end up eventually getting the rest of the UAVs when I played my Nova for a bit in QP.

Now to do the 3 tasks tomorrow and save the turn in for when I'm back home.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So diving back into my Battletech Career, I continue to be the grand boogieman of the Capellan Confederation. I also notice they made it so the black markets are accessible on worlds you are otherwise banned from commerce with! So my dreams of being a dread corsair across space China are coming true! I mostly just fly from black market to black market so maintain a lifeline, but I supposed I don't really need it.

I finally finished a Highlander, which replaced my aging Orion I'd been using as a missile boat. Ended up with a Banshee at some point too which has been alright. But it does round out my first assault lance with the King Crab which always seems to take all the fire, and the Awesome I've treasured.

If only I could find an Atlas, but I don't think I've seen a single one.

• Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Good drops tonight folks.

King Crab is still king, and those 3 drops meant I finished off all of the Day 4 tasks. I did end up eventually getting the rest of the UAVs when I played my Nova for a bit in QP.

Now to do the 3 tasks tomorrow and save the turn in for when I'm back home.

Been a long time since I played, but damn if stealth armor made for some hilarity AND I actually got some kills.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    In preordering MW5, I got....stuff, and something about a Marauder II. 4.5 million C-Bills is obviously not enough to buy anything.
    I believe the CBills are just there to cover the cost of converting all the skill points/GXP you got.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I joined the Clans because they are getting their teeth kicked in.

Faction Warfare?
    I like the concept but it always takes longer to find/join a match than it does to play 2-3 qp matches, and everyone is super salty the whole time. I played one match, won it for my team, and people were still mad at me.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    So diving back into my Battletech Career, I continue to be the grand boogieman of the Capellan Confederation. I also notice they made it so the black markets are accessible on worlds you are otherwise banned from commerce with! So my dreams of being a dread corsair across space China are coming true! I mostly just fly from black market to black market so maintain a lifeline, but I supposed I don't really need it.

I finally finished a Highlander, which replaced my aging Orion I'd been using as a missile boat. Ended up with a Banshee at some point too which has been alright. But it does round out my first assault lance with the King Crab which always seems to take all the fire, and the Awesome I've treasured.

Crabs are just as good as Atlases. If you've been hitting the pirates hard, make sure you also get a mod that fixes the black market. The last patch inserted a bug where the hated penalty to cost is 10,000% instead of the 100% it's obviously intended to be.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »

Crabs are just as good as Atlases. If you've been hitting the pirates hard, make sure you also get a mod that fixes the black market. The last patch inserted a bug where the hated penalty to cost is 10,000% instead of the 100% it's obviously intended to be.

I'm actually in quite good with the pirates. They pay me well to raze Capellan space to the ground. Sometimes the Davions and Mariks pitch in too. But it's been a lot of pirate contracts mostly.

There is something about the Capellans I just love to hate.

Yep, was good drops last night with @Erlkönig @Nobody and @Redspo0n . Got most of the two event parts done (still need to blow the UAVs out of the sky and sneak attack thing). Both will be easy with a light though so no problems with those. Figure I can run my ERPPC Panther to snipe out those UAVs.

Also I'm getting used to my Marauder II. Just lumber with the group and open fire. Torso twist like the Marauder (look down and spin side to side). The only bad thing is that with my 8 SRM6 build, I tend to lose my weapons way too fast though. One part last night when we took the top (and our team cowered back down) I ended up losing 7 out of the 8 SRMs thanks to enemy fire. Was hilarious waddling around with just one SRM6 though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Go in your account on the MW5 site and there should be a code you have to put into the MWO site.

Edit: https://mw5mercs.com/profile

Its fixed.

I had to exit and restart MWO. Now I have three Highlanders and a shit ton of C-Bills, which I promptly blew on a long-range Timber Wolf.

Which I named Sara Palin.

It has an AMS, but I'm not sure what are the circumstances that get it to fire. I was getting reamed by missiles left and right. At one point the cockpit said it was deactivated? What are the circumstances that leave it on and operative?

Cantido on
    edited April 2019
    The tilde key activates and deactivates it. You may have also run out of AMS ammo which would have turned it off.

A single AMS isn’t going to stop all missiles coming at you but it will help reduce the damage somewhat. Enough AMS in close proximity (like 3+) will stop almost all the rain from anything short of a Supernova.

Nobody on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    1 AMS = You're still a perfectly viable target, but it reduces the damage. Better stick close to other AMS mechs.
    2 AMS = If you're a tanky mech you're a very bad target for almost anything short of LRM80.
    3 AMS = You're almost invulnerable to non-SRM missiles as long as you give your AMS enough time to fire.
    4 AMS = You laugh at supernovas.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    MWO is great. I kill stuff, get showered with C-Bills and get more mechs to kill stuff. I'm sorry I didn't try it sooner.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    1 AMS = You're still a perfectly viable target, but it reduces the damage. Better stick close to other AMS mechs.
    2 AMS = If you're a tanky mech you're a very bad target for almost anything short of LRM80.
    3 AMS = You're almost invulnerable to non-SRM missiles as long as you give your AMS enough time to fire.
    4 AMS = You laugh at supernovas.

3+ LAMS = oh god oh god if I don't switch these off soon I am going to die and if I do...

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    How to get the AMS challenge done in three easy steps:

1. Play a NVA-S with triple AMS and 4400 rounds of ammo.
    2. Vote for Polar LRMlands
    3. End the game with no AMS ammo left.
    No points in AMS skills yet, so only 594 missiles destroyed.

My dual UAC/20 HBK-IIC took care of the 3 kills or KMDDs and I got the flanking reward easily enough on my NVA, so when I get back I can turn in those tasks and get 3 days of premium time.

Dumb question, anybody else having problems saving new builds on the kitlaan mwo skills grid?

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I want a Dragon, thread. What's the best one in MWO to buy?

Dark_Side wrote: »

DRG-5N

Dumb question, anybody else having problems saving new builds on the kitlaan mwo skills grid?

Never used it. Sorry.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

DRG-5N

Oh my

DRG-5N

Oh my

People will think they're getting hit with RACs because the fire comes so hot and heavy. Just make sure to play arms unlocked so you can use the left torso to help shield while you're firing.

edited April 2019
    Counter-build. If you're finding yourself running a little hot, could drop the ERPPC down to a standard PPC and may be drop the engine down to a 295LFE (which should free up a ton for an extra DHS). The main downsides of the build: 1) It costs real money and 2) you're going to be completely neutered if you lose your left torso.

That said, it's a stupid, stupid build.......but is also just stupid fun to pilot.

I distinctly remember trying the build after seeing this here B33f video (it's pretty old at this point):

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm not sure that dropping an engine below an x25 threshold and thus engine heatsink slot is a great idea, but I forget how much more effective a heatsink in an engine slot is over ones outside the engine.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited April 2019
    Kay wrote: »
    I'm not sure that dropping an engine below an x25 threshold and thus engine heatsink slot is a great idea, but I forget how much more effective a heatsink in an engine slot is over ones outside the engine.

If you have the open crit slots for it, it's actually better to have them on the outside. Remember that any heatsink(s) other than the up-to 10 internal to the engine (for the 250+ rated engines) count as the reduced effectiveness heatsink. At that point, it might be a better idea to mount the heatsink in the PPC arm to do a little crit-padding.

EDIT - Ugh, late night posting isn't helping coherence. What I mean is, at 275+ engine rating, the heatsink installed in the engine is exactly as effective as one outside the engine. They both count as external heatsinks.

Erlkönig on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Ah, gotcha. I was under the impression that heatsinks in the big engine slots also counted as internal, and got the heat dissipation bonus.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Dropping down to 280 though does give you 2 extra DHS and a half ton extra ammo. 75kph is still quite respectable, and the better heatmanagement and extra ammo is frequently worth it. There are so many matches where I've burnt through 4 tons of ammo for the AC20.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, for the clan mech sale I got the Timberwolf-C. Tried it for a bit with a Prime right Arm as a laser boat, but after overheating too many times I ended up going back to the stock build, but with the large ERs to mediums and the UAC to a 10 with more ammo. Not sure if it works better, but it does feel better. I can't bring myself to remove the LRMs though, seems just wrong to have a Mad Cat that doesn't look like a cross between a Marauder and a Catapult. Plus it's nice to sit back a Lurm for a bit when things are too dicey to poke out enough to fire the UAC.

Also, found my Marauder's structure quirks have given me a somewhat rosy impression of how much damage a Heavy mech can take before it starts falling apart.

steam_sig.png
    The TBR is actually really fragile, no armor and structure quirks and turns like a drugged mule so good luck splashing damage.

The TBR build that’s working out for me right now is 2xLPL, 4xERML, TC1, fill rest with heat sinks. I’m using the TBR-S right torso for the energy hardpoint and jump jets. Went 3 wins in a row with it last night, one where I survived at 33%.

My skill tree is something like full armor side talents and 21(!) points in mobility for anchor turn and torso speed. Ebon Jag is so much better but this works.

Oh, what's this? Timberwolf builds? Hooray! I'll jump in and toss in two of my favorites!

Murderface - There's no elegance here. Shoot lasers while approaching to 270m. Once inside 270m, break the enemy with angry bees. Set a weapon group for chain-firing the SRMs, since you will run hot if you keep firing all 4 together.

I'm Out of Clever Names - This one requires a bit of finessing. Shoot lasers while approaching to 268m. But, this time, when inside 270m, do your level best to keep the targets in that 122m-268m range band to do the maximum damage of the ATMs. The idea between the two ATM6 instead of a single ATM12 is to maximize how many angry hornets are leaving your launchers at the same time (as opposed to streaming out with the single ATM12).

Also, I've been building off the TBR-PRIME because I have an Invasion variant that gives a 30% cbill boost. If you don't have either a Warrant or the Invasion variant, feel free to swap with whatever CT you want.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

If you have the open crit slots for it, it's actually better to have them on the outside. Remember that any heatsink(s) other than the up-to 10 internal to the engine (for the 250+ rated engines) count as the reduced effectiveness heatsink. At that point, it might be a better idea to mount the heatsink in the PPC arm to do a little crit-padding.

EDIT - Ugh, late night posting isn't helping coherence. What I mean is, at 275+ engine rating, the heatsink installed in the engine is exactly as effective as one outside the engine. They both count as external heatsinks.

This got changed a few patches ago along with a general heatsink rebalance. Engine heatsinks and external heatsinks are the same now. The first 10 heatsinks add 20 capacity regardless of type. DHS now add 0.22 dissipation and 0.5 capacity after the first 10, while singles add 0.14 dissipation and 0.75 capacity.

sXXjb1B.png

This got changed a few patches ago along with a general heatsink rebalance. Engine heatsinks and external heatsinks are the same now. The first 10 heatsinks add 20 capacity regardless of type. DHS now add 0.22 dissipation and 0.5 capacity after the first 10, while singles add 0.14 dissipation and 0.75 capacity.

Ahh...I couldn't remember exactly what the heat retune did (and googling pulled up a bunch of pre-retune values).

Still, the overall message is the same: heatsink location at 275+ engines doesn't matter in terms of heatsink effectiveness. However, using them for crit-padding could still be a consideration.

Wait, so empty slots in MWO don't count for crit (misses) when chewing up the internals?

oosik_betsuni.png