As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Anyone who has played the documentary video game Far Cry 3 should be well acquainted with the dangers of cassowaries and the preferred solution (shooting them with a machine gun).

That'll just piss them off. RPG-7 is the only way to be sure.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The weird thing about the scales on the feet of birds is that they evolved after birds lost the scales non-avian dinosaurs have.
    The scales of birds are composed of keratin, like beaks, claws, and spurs. They are found mainly on the toes and tarsi (lower leg of birds), usually up to the tibio-tarsal joint, but may be found further up the legs in some birds. In many of the eagles and owls the legs are feathered down to (but not including) their toes.[27][28][29] Most bird scales do not overlap significantly, except in the cases of kingfishers and woodpeckers. The scales and scutes of birds were originally thought to be homologous to those of reptiles;[30] however, more recent research suggests that scales in birds re-evolved after the evolution of feathers.[31][32][33]

Woodpecker feet:
    We9u6YW.jpg

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Metal

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Metal

It explicitly says keratin.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mario kart drives over Rainbow Bridge.

In real life.
    A staff member at a Shuto Expressway toll gate in Odaiba, an artificial island in the middle of Tokyo Bay, noticed the kart racing down the highway and notified police just after 9pm on Sunday, TBS News reported. The Metropolitan Police Department dispatched a patrol car to chase down the kart, but failed to locate it by the time they arrived. Authorities are now analysing security footage in an attempt to identify the vehicle, while reminding users and hire companies to not enter the expressway with the karts.

Video footage posted to social media shows the runaway buggy driving in the far left lane of traffic as it crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Tokyo Metropolitan Police have launched an investigation into the matter, and are still on the lookout for the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hrGrYxMi0w

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The gait of the velociraptors in the movies was based on cassowaries. The animators of the time watched and studied cassowaries as they walked and modeled the movement of the dinosaurs on the birds, since those were the closest analogs they could figure out.

Anyway, I'm glad authorities aren't just automatically putting down the cassowary; there aren't many of the birds left.

Dogs usually get put down because there's a surplus of pets to begin with. Exotic pets or stage animals are usually put in zoos or sanctuaries, though. Sigfreid and Roy's tiger Mantecore lived in a sanctuary the rest of its life.

The one exception tends to be circus elephants, because once they're on a rampage, stopping them humanely while also protecting the public isn't always an option - circuses themselves tend to rely on handlers who are the first ones hurt, and police aren't generally equipped to stop an animal of that size any other way (sometimes not even that way).

One of my high school teachers spent 20 years as a missionary in the Sudan. He once got a call on the radio from someone in the government about an elephant on the rampagenearby; poachers had wounded it, the wound got infected, and the elephant was trampling crops and had killed two people. They had to call the local missionary, because he was one of the only people anywhere close with both a truck and a high-powered rifle, (he'd previously served as a game warden in Kenya).

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Scientists have turned mice gay.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31016493?dopt=Abstract
    The De-Scent of Sexuality: Did Loss of a Pheromone Signaling Protein Permit the Evolution of Same-Sex Sexual Behavior in Primates?
    Pfau D1, Jordan CL2, Breedlove SM2.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Primate same-sex sexual behavior (SSSB) is rarely observed in strepsirrhine species, and only somewhat more common in platyrrhines, but is observed in nearly all catarrhine species, including humans, suggesting the common catarrhine ancestor as the origin of routine SSSB. In mice, disruption of the transient receptor potential cation channel 2 (TRPC2) gene, which is crucial for transducing chemosensory signals from pheromones in the vomeronasal organ, greatly increased the likelihood of SSSB. We note that catarrhine primates share a common deleterious mutation in this gene, indicating that the protein was dysfunctional in the common catarrhine ancestral primate approximately 25 mya (million years ago). We hypothesize that the loss of this protein for processing pheromonal signals in males and females made SSSB more likely in a primate ancestral species by effectively lifting a pheromonally mediated barrier to SSSB and that this was an important precursor to the evolution of such behavior in humans. Additional comparisons between SSSB and the functional status of the TRPC2 gene or related proteins across primate species could lend support to or falsify this hypothesis. Our current research indicates that loss of TRPC2 function in developing mice leads to the loss or attenuation of sexually dimorphisms in the adult brain, which may help us to understand the biological underpinnings of SSSB. Our hypothesis offers an ultimate evolutionary explanation for SSSB in humans.
    I kind of want to see what happens with other animals when you mess with the pheromone receptors.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    snowy-owl-claws.jpg

Snowy owl feet. Super fluffy with big giant claws sticking out. Being surrounded with poofy feathers doesn't make the talons any less deadly.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    snowy-owl-claws.jpg

Snowy owl feet. Super fluffy with big giant claws sticking out. Being surrounded with poofy feathers doesn't make the talons any less deadly.

It's murderpoof.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    warm and snuggly death.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    warm and snuggly death.

I've only handled a Barred Owl, but holy shit are those feathers soft. The only thing I can really compare it to is a chinchilla.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I like saying chinchilla.

Chinchilla.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

The De-Scent of Sexuality: Did Loss of a Pheromone Signaling Protein Permit the Evolution of Same-Sex Sexual Behavior in Primates?
    Author information
    Abstract
    Primate same-sex sexual behavior (SSSB) is rarely observed in strepsirrhine species, and only somewhat more common in platyrrhines, but is observed in nearly all catarrhine species, including humans, suggesting the common catarrhine ancestor as the origin of routine SSSB. In mice, disruption of the transient receptor potential cation channel 2 (TRPC2) gene, which is crucial for transducing chemosensory signals from pheromones in the vomeronasal organ, greatly increased the likelihood of SSSB. We note that catarrhine primates share a common deleterious mutation in this gene, indicating that the protein was dysfunctional in the common catarrhine ancestral primate approximately 25 mya (million years ago). We hypothesize that the loss of this protein for processing pheromonal signals in males and females made SSSB more likely in a primate ancestral species by effectively lifting a pheromonally mediated barrier to SSSB and that this was an important precursor to the evolution of such behavior in humans. Additional comparisons between SSSB and the functional status of the TRPC2 gene or related proteins across primate species could lend support to or falsify this hypothesis. Our current research indicates that loss of TRPC2 function in developing mice leads to the loss or attenuation of sexually dimorphisms in the adult brain, which may help us to understand the biological underpinnings of SSSB. Our hypothesis offers an ultimate evolutionary explanation for SSSB in humans.
    I kind of want to see what happens with other animals when you mess with the pheromone receptors.

Maybe we were better off not knowing

wbBv3fj.png
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Author information
    Abstract

Maybe we were better off not knowing

I can already see this going bad places.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im reminded of the Venture Brother Gay gene speech and yeah lets not go there

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bad News: A movie about a comic opens this weekend, and we all know how cinema treats our interests.

Good News: It's predicted to have an opening global weekend range of $275 million to $325 million and has been well received by critics and fans alike.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Bad News: A movie about a comic opens this weekend, and we all know how cinema treats our interests.

Good News: It's predicted to have an opening global weekend range of $275 million to $325 million and has been well received by critics and fans alike.

???

Comic book movies have been the biggest thing in cinema for like a decade and more. I think at this point it's safe to say that cinema treats "our interests" with a great deal of interest and large budgets and maybe it's time to stop pretending like it's being persecuted.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

???

Comic book movies have been the biggest thing in cinema for like a decade and more. I think at this point it's safe to say that cinema treats "our interests" with a great deal of interest and large budgets and maybe it's time to stop pretending like it's being persecuted.

I think it's fair to say video games almost never make the jump well.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

???

Yes, that was kind of the joke... :P

Fine, is this what you people want:
    citdfk61xejn.jpg

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for, first skeleton dinosaur I see for easter

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    What are not the first two countries you think about declaring war upon each other?

Canada and the Philippines come to mind. It'd be a garbage war, anyway.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5194534/philippines-duterte-declare-war-canadian-garbage/
    OTTAWA – The president of the Philippines says if Canada doesn’t take back tonnes of trash within the next week he will “declare war” and ship the containers back himself.

Filipino media outlets are reporting that Rodrigo Duterte made threats Tuesday about dozens of shipping containers filled with Canadian household and electronic garbage that has been rotting in a port near Manila for nearly six years.

More than 100 of the containers were shipped to Manila by a Canadian company in 2013 and 2014, improperly labelled as plastics for recycling.

Customs inspectors discovered they actually contained garbage, including soiled adult diapers and kitchen trash.

Canada has been trying for nearly six years to convince the Philippines to dispose of the garbage there even though a Filipino court ordered the trash returned to Canada in 2016.

Last week a British Columbia lawyer said in a legal brief that Canada is in violation of the international Basel Convention, which forbids developed nations from sending their toxic or hazardous waste to developing nations without informed consent.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The gait of the velociraptors in the movies was based on cassowaries. The animators of the time watched and studied cassowaries as they walked and modeled the movement of the dinosaurs on the birds, since those were the closest analogs they could figure out.

Anyway, I'm glad authorities aren't just automatically putting down the cassowary; there aren't many of the birds left.

Dogs usually get put down because there's a surplus of pets to begin with. Exotic pets or stage animals are usually put in zoos or sanctuaries, though. Sigfreid and Roy's tiger Mantecore lived in a sanctuary the rest of its life.

The one exception tends to be circus elephants, because once they're on a rampage, stopping them humanely while also protecting the public isn't always an option - circuses themselves tend to rely on handlers who are the first ones hurt, and police aren't generally equipped to stop an animal of that size any other way (sometimes not even that way).

One of my high school teachers spent 20 years as a missionary in the Sudan. He once got a call on the radio from someone in the government about an elephant on the rampagenearby; poachers had wounded it, the wound got infected, and the elephant was trampling crops and had killed two people. They had to call the local missionary, because he was one of the only people anywhere close with both a truck and a high-powered rifle, (he'd previously served as a game warden in Kenya).

Shooting an Elephant, an essay by George Orwell.
    http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/887/

Warning: blood and animal suffering

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Anyone who has played the documentary video game Far Cry 3 should be well acquainted with the dangers of cassowaries and the preferred solution (shooting them with a machine gun).

That'll just piss them off. RPG-7 is the only way to be sure.

"You get two skins if you kill them with a bow."
    "I kill two at a time if I use rockets."

Nobeard wrote: »

Shooting an Elephant, an essay by George Orwell.
    http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/887/

Warning: blood and animal suffering

The bit about the locals stripping down the carcass happened with my teacher's kill as well. He took periodic photos, and by the end of it all, even the bones were gone.

- John Stuart Mill
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bad News: Some children are blind

Gone right: Lego are designing special Braille bricks to help them learn to read

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Bad news(?): Some criminals were caught by the police
    Gone right(?): Their lookout parrot refused to be a stool pigeon when brought in for questioning by the police.
    Parrot clams up after it was detained for warning owners of law enforcement presence in drug raid

An unnamed parrot was taken into custody in northern Brazil following a police raid targeting crack dealers, according to a report by The Guardian.

Police seized the bird in hopes of getting more information out of the loyal lookout, but according to Brazilian journalists, the faithful fowl kept its beak shut.

According to the report, local vet Alexandre Clark told a Brazilian journalist that the loyal parrot was not cooperating with the police. “Lots of police officers have come by and he’s said nothing,” said Clark.

The bird allegedly got off easy. The “papagaio do tráfico” (drug trafficking parrot) was eventually sent to a local zoo to be trained to fly and eventually released, according to the Brazilian broadcaster Globo.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/parrot-wont-talk-after-it-was-detained-for-warning-owners-of-law-enforcement-presence-in-drug-raid

Orca on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My first contribution to any of these threads is pretty good I think.

Gone wrong: Man given $300 distracted driving ticket for talking while on the phone.

Gone right: Man goes to court twice over the course of a year to prove it was just a McDonald's hash brown

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    America really is going to shit if you can't eat a McDonald's hash brown and drive at the same time.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Wait, are you actually allowed to eat while driving in the states? It's explicitly forbidden back where I'm from, for pretty much the same reason it's legal to speak on the phone, but only if you have a speakerphone installed - both hands are supposed to be used for driving only.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    America really is going to shit if you can't eat a McDonald's hash brown and drive at the same time.

Well yeah the hash browns wont be clogging us up

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Wait, are you actually allowed to eat while driving in the states? It's explicitly forbidden back where I'm from, for pretty much the same reason it's legal to speak on the phone, but only if you have a speakerphone installed - both hands are supposed to be used for driving only.

There is usually "distracted driving" laws around. What exactly they include is typically pretty vague though most now explicitly let you phone if it's handsfree. Drinking (not alcohol) is almost always okay. Eating a salad would probably get you ticketed. A sandwich? Eh.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    My state(AZ) just got around to passing a bill banning cell phones and stuff like that. Distracted driving bill was vetoed.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Too many US drivers spend too much time in their cars for total handsfree driving to be at all practical. I'd have to skip probably 3-4 meals a week if that were the case, and what for? Because I'm somehow no longer capable of taking a bite of food or a drink when there's a half-mile of clear, straight road in front of me?

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Too many US drivers spend too much time in their cars for total handsfree driving to be at all practical. I'd have to skip probably 3-4 meals a week if that were the case, and what for? Because I'm somehow no longer capable of taking a bite of food or a drink when there's a half-mile of clear, straight road in front of me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

There is usually "distracted driving" laws around. What exactly they include is typically pretty vague though most now explicitly let you phone if it's handsfree. Drinking (not alcohol) is almost always okay. Eating a salad would probably get you ticketed. A sandwich? Eh.

Yeah our drivers course says "you shouldn't eat while driving" but most people do it, and it's not exactly a law necessarily so long as you can manage to not drive like a drunk driver while doing it.

Cop in the above case saw a cellphone shaped object and mouth movement and that's all he needed to make the call it was a cell phone, which is cash-money for the department's quota.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    xx0t23m0skvj.jpg

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah our drivers course says "you shouldn't eat while driving" but most people do it, and it's not exactly a law necessarily so long as you can manage to not drive like a drunk driver while doing it.

Cop in the above case saw a cellphone shaped object and mouth movement and that's all he needed to make the call it was a cell phone, which is cash-money for the department's quota.

I got pulled over for talking on my cell because I was singing with the radio. Maybe I was doing something with my hand as I drove past the cop like adjusting my glasses? Not sure, but he was confident enough that I was on my cell to chase me down.

Luckily I just denied it and that's as far as it went.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

I got pulled over for talking on my cell because I was singing with the radio. Maybe I was doing something with my hand as I drove past the cop like adjusting my glasses? Not sure, but he was confident enough that I was on my cell to chase me down.

Luckily I just denied it and that's as far as it went.

That's because that cop was doing their job correctly. Had you admitted to it being a phone they'd have evidence of the crime to issue a ticket.

Thankfully the word of an officer alone generally isnt enough anymore, unless you also have a racist jury.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Here in SC not only is it legal to talk on your phone, you can wear headphones and ear buds while you drive. That's right slap on your Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones and just enjoy your music while ignoring all outside sound.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
This discussion has been closed.