As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    I'm not sure that dropping an engine below an x25 threshold and thus engine heatsink slot is a great idea, but I forget how much more effective a heatsink in an engine slot is over ones outside the engine.

If you have the open crit slots for it, it's actually better to have them on the outside. Remember that any heatsink(s) other than the up-to 10 internal to the engine (for the 250+ rated engines) count as the reduced effectiveness heatsink. At that point, it might be a better idea to mount the heatsink in the PPC arm to do a little crit-padding.

EDIT - Ugh, late night posting isn't helping coherence. What I mean is, at 275+ engine rating, the heatsink installed in the engine is exactly as effective as one outside the engine. They both count as external heatsinks.

Wait, so empty slots in MWO don't count for crit (misses) when chewing up the internals?

I've been under the impression that if you have equipment loaded in the component being crit, that equipment will take damage. If you have other equipment loaded in that component (say, a DHS and an ERPPC), the chance of the weapon being crit out is reduced than if it was just the ERPPC by itself in the component.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    In tabletop, when rolling for crits, you roll to confirm that you did get a crit, then roll for which internal slot in the location you got it on. If you get a number for a slot that's empty, you roll again. So adding more things to a location reduces the chances that any one particular slot will be hit. At least, IIRC.

Does MWO work similarly?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    In tabletop, when rolling for crits, you roll to confirm that you did get a crit, then roll for which internal slot in the location you got it on. If you get a number for a slot that's empty, you roll again. So adding more things to a location reduces the chances that any one particular slot will be hit. At least, IIRC.

Does MWO work similarly?

It's how I've heard it works from a couple posters here and from a couple streamers I watch. The general wisdom is that if you have the crit slots for it, it's better to spread around any extra heatsinks from the engine to the body.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Does MWO work similarly?

Crap, so I played it incorrectly??? My friends and I always said it just missed and you crossed out that slot. Well heck, now I need to rethink my builds.

Wait, does slots that have Endo or other structural stuff in there count?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Does MWO work similarly?

Crap, so I played it incorrectly??? My friends and I always said it just missed and you crossed out that slot. Well heck, now I need to rethink my builds.

Wait, does slots that have Endo or other structural stuff in there count?

I think it does, but I honestly don't know for sure.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Fairly certain it’s just treated as an empty slot and you have to reroll

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Nobody wrote: »

I wonder if there's a rule somewhere that says enough Endo-Steel crits results in a shattered limb (kinda like bone hits). Of course, that would make running ES riskier than just worrying about having available crit slots.

EDIT - unrelated to current discussion, I popped into MWO last night and played a few matches. First two were with my Marauder II (3xLPL, 5xML). First match was my first exposure to Hibernal Rift (or whatever it's called). Turns out, when your assault lance lets you cross a valley by yourself to try to link up with the rest of the team, and the enemy assault lance is advancing on an overlooking cliff, you're going to be lucky if you make it out with half your mech still intact. Managed to deal 226 damage with half my mech just plain gone before I got cored out. Second match went better on Tourmaline. I was plinking at the enemy team's split groups (the one I opted to focus on was covered with ECM). Glanced up at the scoreboard and saw we were down 0 - 5. Figured it was over, swung around to face the assault group that was flanking us, hit override, and went in swinging at everything moving. Killed 3 and dealt a crapton of damage before I melted. ~450 damage dealt, caused enough ruckus that the survivors on my team cleaned up and turned around the rout.

Third match I decided to bring out an old friend. Once again on Hibernal.
    qh8x8geruh0a.jpg

That poor Blood Asp on the enemy team tried to be all sneaky and shoot us with stacked ATMs from behind a rock pillar. I barely even looked at him and by the time he had a missile lock on me, I'd already removed his right torso.

I'll take it and happily call it a night.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Betsuni I don't have a copy of Total Warfare (sadface), so the most recent rulebook I have to hand is the Introductory rules from the 2013 CGL Battletech Introductory Box Set (the one that comes with plastic minis of the standard 3025 IS mechs, plus deluxe assembly-required minis of a Timber Wolf and Battlemaster). On page 46 it says not only do you reroll open slots, but also if your roll identifies a slot for equipment that was already destroyed (so multiple crit hits in the same location aren't wasted). Even if the location is severed/destroyed by internal damage in that attack, you still roll for crits if there's anything that can explode inside (like unspent ammo). So crits are pretty brutal in tabletop.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

I wonder if there's a rule somewhere that says enough Endo-Steel crits results in a shattered limb (kinda like bone hits). Of course, that would make running ES riskier than just worrying about having available crit slots.

EDIT - unrelated to current discussion, I popped into MWO last night and played a few matches. First two were with my Marauder II (3xLPL, 5xML). First match was my first exposure to Hibernal Rift (or whatever it's called). Turns out, when your assault lance lets you cross a valley by yourself to try to link up with the rest of the team, and the enemy assault lance is advancing on an overlooking cliff, you're going to be lucky if you make it out with half your mech still intact. Managed to deal 226 damage with half my mech just plain gone before I got cored out. Second match went better on Tourmaline. I was plinking at the enemy team's split groups (the one I opted to focus on was covered with ECM). Glanced up at the scoreboard and saw we were down 0 - 5. Figured it was over, swung around to face the assault group that was flanking us, hit override, and went in swinging at everything moving. Killed 3 and dealt a crapton of damage before I melted. ~450 damage dealt, caused enough ruckus that the survivors on my team cleaned up and turned around the rout.

Third match I decided to bring out an old friend. Once again on Hibernal.
    qh8x8geruh0a.jpg

That poor Blood Asp on the enemy team tried to be all sneaky and shoot us from behind a rock pillar. I barely even looked at him and by the time he had a missile lock on me, I'd already removed his right torso.

I'll take it and happily call it a night.

Fairly certain it doesn’t, but I think there’s an experimental endo steel that has double damage to structure

Nobody on
  • Options
    Betsuni I don't have a copy of Total Warfare (sadface), so the most recent rulebook I have to hand is the Introductory rules from the 2013 CGL Battletech Introductory Box Set (the one that comes with plastic minis of the standard 3025 IS mechs, plus deluxe assembly-required minis of a Timber Wolf and Battlemaster). On page 46 it says not only do you reroll open slots, but also if your roll identifies a slot for equipment that was already destroyed (so multiple crit hits in the same location aren't wasted). Even if the location is severed/destroyed by internal damage in that attack, you still roll for crits if there's anything that can explode inside (like unspent ammo). So crits are pretty brutal in tabletop.

Yeah I remember the rerolling if it hits a slot that was already destroyed. I just realized I have the new rules. Just need to go download and read it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I really want to get the two new box sets, and the 'core' rulebooks, but I can't justify spending the money since I don't really know anyone in my area to play with. My nephews are too young still, but I'm hoping when they're older maybe I can get them into it (their dad isn't into tabletop or turn-based computer games, unfortunately).

I pre-ordered MW5 in time to get all the MWO goodies. I should start playing again to see how they are, huh?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I only bought the digital book somehow. The boxes are still on my wish list. Mainly for the same reason you have, nobody to play with. Plus I have a bunch of board games that I already do not play.

Edit: So I looked it up. Crits that hit FF or anything else are rerolled as well till it hits something. So yeah, I need to figure out a better build order for my mechs in MWO so the crits hit HS or other stuff.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I've been running that DRG-5N(C) in MWO that's on the free rotation, and I've been on a pretty serious win streak with it too. A dual ER LL and Gauss rifle loadout seems like it wouldn't work that well for me, but it can punch some serious holes with a good overwatch position, and solid speed on the mech means it's easy to reposition.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    JK variants includes a variant laser it calls the B-Laser. The description says it's two large lasers strapped together, but dealing less damage than 2 large lasers while having the same range and heat, and weighing one ton less.

Not that interesting at first glance.

Damage is a little bit oddball though. 61.

Wait a minute...it takes 61 damage to headshot a mech that isn't braced/in cover!

With 4 B-lasers I've got a 50% chance of killing a mech outright with an aimed shot!

Okay, it only has an alpha strike of 132 heat, what's that between friends?

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    The madkat ii drops are hilariously skewing. I'm 50% of the time in alpha lance while dropping in a roughneck;.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Here I am headshotting fools all day long. Looks like the AI decided to get back some of their own.

Last mission right at the beginning, a Victor rammed its AC20 right up my ass and blew the head off my Atlas 2 :(

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    And speaking of mechs masquerading as something else, the Kintaro is a Heavy mech pretending to be a Medium. If you go all-up SRMs, you can deal 208 damage in an alpha strike with plentiful reloads and 22 net heat. Get ++ and +++ variants and that climbs to up to 312 damage. Hell, there are Assaults that deal less damage than that.

All with 880 armor for protection. There are heavies with less protection than that.

Next time I restart the campaign, I'm giving myself an Ancestral Kintaro. Fuck the Blackjack!

Orca on
  • Options
    And an Urbanmech can potentially field an AC/20? Good grief, no wonder you folks have been calling it an assault in light clothing.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    And an Urbanmech can potentially field an AC/20? Good grief, no wonder you folks have been calling it an assault in light clothing.

Sadly it also goes slower than a car in reverse and only has a few shots for it. But yes, it is a heavy puncher and is hilarious!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    JK variants includes a variant laser it calls the B-Laser. The description says it's two large lasers strapped together, but dealing less damage than 2 large lasers while having the same range and heat, and weighing one ton less.

Not that interesting at first glance.

Damage is a little bit oddball though. 61.

Wait a minute...it takes 61 damage to headshot a mech that isn't braced/in cover!

With 4 B-lasers I've got a 50% chance of killing a mech outright with an aimed shot!

Okay, it only has an alpha strike of 132 heat, what's that between friends?

It's called a Binary Laser Cannon, commonly a Blazer, and I'm still salty it doesn't see wider use in canon TT designs.

I mean, it's hella dumb conceptually and stupidly hot to fire, but god damnit at least someone was trying to come up with something novel during the Third Succession War.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I liked the Bombast laser more. Same damage as a blazer at full charge, 2 tons lighter, but it had to charge up to be able to deal that kind of damage (so a -3 accuracy modifier to hit when at maximum charge).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Bought the Hero Stormcrow, put 7 micro lasers and an LBX20 on it. Got 3 or 4 final blows with it one match, that was fun.

• Options
    I had the same build right after the new tech came in, but never got it to work. What is funnier is that I was thinking that I should revisit that mech last night. Either that or the crowphujun again (tons of ERSL and SRM6s).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I snagged a Gauss Rifle build off the internet for my Timber Wolf and blew all my C-Bills to make it happen.

I got more damage in my first match with it than anything I achieved with my Marauder trio.

EDIT - I made that triple Ultra AC/2 Dragon, but it keeps jamming. Why is that? Also, I'm unable to put ammo in the torsos. Do I need Omnipods for ammo?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Prettiest thing I've seen in BATTLETECH yet:

An over-the-shoulder with follow-cam shot of my Highlander firing a Gauss round at near-max range, across and over a melee-range scrum in a valley, hitting a damaged Jenner on the opposite hillside bullseye in the middle and blowing it straight to hell.

*chef's kiss*

Goddamn I love this game.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    So I hopped into MWO to tonight to get the 1k part of the event done. Figured four matches and I can log out. First match I chose my Piranha. 31 damage because my team got rolled. Jumped to my Urbies and did 600 points worth in two matches. Saw a Flea and decided to play mine again. First match, I swear I was against Cheerios in a Locust with 6SPL. It was a slaughter as my Flea was legged and he just circled me till I died.

So I quit that match and jumped into my Vapor Eagle with 2ERPPCs and a plethora of machine guns. Polar... Perfect. Domination. Even better. I moved around jumping to the sky and popping shots at the enemy. Oddly enough they just sat there on the other side of the dish letting my team pop shots at them. Ended up getting more than enough match points with 11 assists and a 500+ damage. I think I found my new favorite mech.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I love how MWO handles gamepads. And by love I mean seething hatred. Unless I remember to unplug the thing the game will randomly go "oh, you're constantly holding down-right at max force". There's no way to just disable it entirely, I've turned the sensitivity to 0 and maxed out the deadzone so I literally get no input from it if I try using it myself, but the game will still randomly go into "no aiming for you" mode.

Heck, I even unplugged it, played another match and opening the battle map would jam my cabin bottom-right. Thankfully I could look around normally otherwise. More fool me for not restarting the entire game I guess.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Huh. I only have that issue if I did something that caused my wired 360 controller to have pressure on the sticks. I've considered rigging up some sort of control scheme using the mouse and gamepad or something, but so far I haven't bothered. I tried with the controller alone at first and it didnt go well, but when I eventually get furniture in the basement I might try something else out. Right now I have a folding chair and a TV tray.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I love how MWO handles gamepads. And by love I mean seething hatred. Unless I remember to unplug the thing the game will randomly go "oh, you're constantly holding down-right at max force". There's no way to just disable it entirely, I've turned the sensitivity to 0 and maxed out the deadzone so I literally get no input from it if I try using it myself, but the game will still randomly go into "no aiming for you" mode.

Heck, I even unplugged it, played another match and opening the battle map would jam my cabin bottom-right. Thankfully I could look around normally otherwise. More fool me for not restarting the entire game I guess.

It is even better if you have a HOTAS connected. Heaven forbid your throttle is a bit "off" from zero and you spend the next few minutes after dropping adjusting it to sit at zero. This is especially funny if you didn't notice it and ran off in your light, then suddenly wonder why you're still walking forward after stopping.

Or my other favorite for the game. Setting the audio output to headphones then trying to switch it to speakers while the game is loading. You don't have any sound out and have to restart the game to get it to work. At least it is this way for my SoundBlaster software controls.

By the way, the poptarting in the Vapor Eagle almost makes me remember the poptarting days of Cataphracts jumping for joy.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    By the way, the poptarting in the Vapor Eagle almost makes me remember the poptarting days of Cataphracts jumping for joy.

...huh?

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

It is even better if you have a HOTAS connected. Heaven forbid your throttle is a bit "off" from zero and you spend the next few minutes after dropping adjusting it to sit at zero. This is especially funny if you didn't notice it and ran off in your light, then suddenly wonder why you're still walking forward after stopping.

Or my other favorite for the game. Setting the audio output to headphones then trying to switch it to speakers while the game is loading. You don't have any sound out and have to restart the game to get it to work. At least it is this way for my SoundBlaster software controls.

Somehow... some way... all voice chat only goes to my bluetooth headset. If the headset is off, I simply don't hear anybody. Even if it was off the entire time. I don't know how this got set, where this got set, how to unset it.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Namrok wrote: »

Somehow... some way... all voice chat only goes to my bluetooth headset. If the headset is off, I simply don't hear anybody. Even if it was off the entire time. I don't know how this got set, where this got set, how to unset it.

I have a steel series usb headset, and it shows up in my playback devices list as two different devices. I've had it happen in the past where the headphones are disabled, but voice chat is still going through them because the 2nd device isn't disabled, as apparently that device takes all voice chat from the game.
    Oddly enough they just sat there on the other side of the dish letting my team pop shots at them.

Polar can be weird like that, nobody wants to crest the hill and push because they've got a learned behavior of eating face fulls of lrm's if they do. So a lot of matches on that map have timid teams that sit back and wait, probing the lines, until one team manages to get into a bad position.

Dark_Side on
  • Options

...huh?

In MWO the early days of the game Jump Jets would actually blast you pretty high, so everyone used the Cataphract with PPCs and you would see them jumping up, firing off their PPCs and falling back into cover. It looked like poptarts popping out of a toaster, thus the name. Flash forward to today where you can stick a bunch of Jump Jets on a Vapor Eagle and pop up, fire them off and still have enough power to feather them to a soft landing.

It isn't as fast as the old days since PGI nerfed the Jump Jets, but it sure reminds me of the old days where you would see PPC balls of energy and have no way to counter them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    I snagged a Gauss Rifle build off the internet for my Timber Wolf and blew all my C-Bills to make it happen.

I got more damage in my first match with it than anything I achieved with my Marauder trio.

EDIT - I made that triple Ultra AC/2 Dragon, but it keeps jamming. Why is that? Also, I'm unable to put ammo in the torsos. Do I need Omnipods for ammo?

Uacs have a chance to jam when you fire them again before they come off cool down. Dont worry about it too much, its a planned part of your dps.

Ger the skill that reduce jam time.

Put ammo in the legs

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes MWO’s mech editor gets weird with moving ES/FF slots around, I usually just use nav alpha and export the code

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

For a while all of the voice chat would come through my monitor's speakers instead of my headphones. That was a fun surprise.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

Try using the throttle to control speed and steering. I'm using a Thrustmaster throttle and pedal setup for movement and mouse for aim. It's quite fun.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options

Try using the throttle to control speed and steering. I'm using a Thrustmaster throttle and pedal setup for movement and mouse for aim. It's quite fun.

I tried a while ago but don't have pedals so that was painful. But I ran with my Warthog Throttle for the speed, which was ok for my heavies and assaults, but sucked for my lights. So I went back to my KB&M.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    How are energy weapons good? My pew pew mechs don't seem to get much done in MWO.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Keeping on target is the name of the game with energy weapons (lasers). They spread their damage out over the course of their fire-duration, so if you "slice" the beam across a mech, you're only doing insignificant points of damage to whatever multiple components you hit. Lock your target, pick a weak component to aim for, and then try to really focus on keeping your beams on that same component.
    Pulse lasers and laser-duration skills are good because they lower the fire-duration of lasers, making it easier to get across all the damage in a shorter time. Same goes for smaller lasers. Large lasers (especially things like clan HLLs) might do a lot of overall damage, but they have a reaaaaaly long burn time.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg