As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] how do I apply to join Team Yell

Crippl3Crippl3 ohnoRegistered User regular
edited August 2019 in Social Entropy++
5G32Ety.png

Talk about Nintendo games or fried chicken here
it took me like 20 minutes to make this, finding transparent pngs of the controllers was hard

Crippl3 on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    You get an A for Affort

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    look at this man

7cLuGRO.jpg

too good for a supernintendo chalmers joke

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    this is what you get when everyone else takes too long to make a new discussion thread

edited April 2019
    Anyway, Nintendo had their fiscal year briefing yesterday. The real important thing is that for the first time there was no mention of the 3DS outside of comparisons of the Switch's overall sales pace against 3DS, Wii and more. It looks like Extra Epic Yarn will be the last first party 3DS game unless something gets announced at E3.

End of an era I suppose :(

Crippl3 on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So some of you might know that Dragalia Lost, the Nintendo mobile game, is currently having a Fire Emblem collaboration. What you may not know is that Cygames, the developer, went all out for this and got a unique rap remix of the Fire Emblem theme for the event. Behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ySxIlrj_ik

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Hey My Time at Portia is really good!

It has a fair amount of story, and good world-building.

For example, the townspeople have been telling my character that things have been going missing for an in-game week, now. My rival accused me of stealing his equipment. Then at the end of the week the mayor, at the usual town meeting, announced that a thief is back, then he tells me later that he has a special commission for me. And here was I thinking these town meetings would be repetitive, non-important events.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    They announced a Super Mario Maker 2 stylus for Japan and Europe, so there goes my fear that it won't have touchscreen support

6F32U1X.png
    So Nintendo just revealed the new Fire Emblem's apparently required sexy ackshually-7000-year-old child character on Twitter (spoilered for obvious reasons) why do they do this every time
    I literally don't understand

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its best not to try and understsnd why because the answer will juat depress you

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wasn't that revealed in the game's reveal Nintendo Direct?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    is the answer "pedophiles"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I love fried chicken.

My instagram is just photos of fried chicken that I review.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well yes. Its also the anime industry making a profit on this shit for decades and shifting the media attention to the results of that so they can keep doing it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I learned the slang word for them is Chester

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Steamworld Quest rules, I am happy to report.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Steamworld Quest rules, I am happy to report.

Can confirm.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dev does a stupid thing, then wonders why everyone is upset:
    It would appear that Nintendo has pulled a game from the Switch eShop after its developer revealed it contains a secret code editor. If you're looking for a way to ensure Nintendo never works with you again, we imagine this would do it.

The game in question is A Dark Room, a text-based adventure that launched on the Switch earlier this month. We shared more info about it just ahead of its launch if you're interested in learning more, but it essentially allowed you to experience a story through text and player interaction.

As it turns out, though, that wasn't all it could do. Amir Rajan, the man responsible for converting the game from its original form to the version that has seen a release on Switch and mobile devices, spoke about a hidden feature online. He explained that he had hidden a Ruby interpreter and code editor as an "Easter egg".

As self-sabotage goes, this is up there. And the dev's response is amazingly clueless:
    I deeply regret how this has blown up. A simple toy sandboxed environment has been framed as this massive exploit. And of course it's the community that exploits these things that pushed it up to that level. I'm partly to blame with my sensationalised media posts. I acted alone and stupidly. It was a last second 'spark of inspiration' and I snuck it in assuming that plugging in a USB keyboard and pressing the "~" key wasn't part of the test plan.

It's just...does he not understand the law of unintended consequences?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dev does a stupid thing, then wonders why everyone is upset:
    It would appear that Nintendo has pulled a game from the Switch eShop after its developer revealed it contains a secret code editor. If you're looking for a way to ensure Nintendo never works with you again, we imagine this would do it.

The game in question is A Dark Room, a text-based adventure that launched on the Switch earlier this month. We shared more info about it just ahead of its launch if you're interested in learning more, but it essentially allowed you to experience a story through text and player interaction.

As it turns out, though, that wasn't all it could do. Amir Rajan, the man responsible for converting the game from its original form to the version that has seen a release on Switch and mobile devices, spoke about a hidden feature online. He explained that he had hidden a Ruby interpreter and code editor as an "Easter egg".

As self-sabotage goes, this is up there. And the dev's response is amazingly clueless:
    I deeply regret how this has blown up. A simple toy sandboxed environment has been framed as this massive exploit. And of course it's the community that exploits these things that pushed it up to that level. I'm partly to blame with my sensationalised media posts. I acted alone and stupidly. It was a last second 'spark of inspiration' and I snuck it in assuming that plugging in a USB keyboard and pressing the "~" key wasn't part of the test plan.

It's just...does he not understand the law of unintended consequences?

Either that, or he's completely and totally unfamiliar with the internet.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have Steamworld Quest on my list now. I haven't played any of the other Steamworld games but it looks cute and fun. Though the card based aspect is weird to me

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have Steamworld Quest on my list now. I haven't played any of the other Steamworld games but it looks cute and fun. Though the card based aspect is weird to me

It adds a bit of randomness to the battles, but you have the ability to toss and redraw two cards per turn to help offset that. Plus other cards that let you draw more cards per turn and play more cards per turn to help control some of that randomness

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    what could one do with this secret code editor thing? run arbitrary programs on the switch or something?

BahamutZERO.gif
    what could one do with this secret code editor thing? run arbitrary programs on the switch or something?

Yes - it provides a running Ruby interpreter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y-n6gBME44

He claims that it's sandboxed, but no console maker would allow a live coding environment that hadn't been rigorously tested, for a number of reasons.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Could it be used for piracy or...? Help those of us who don’t know computers that intimately

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    You could recode the switch to do whatever

At some point its just a question of how much time someone wants to commit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Could it be used for piracy or...? Help those of us who don’t know computers that intimately

According to the dev, all you can do with it is play around with the game assets. That said, this is the sort of thing that escalation attacks are made of.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Maaaan My Time at Portia has fucking boss battles. This isn’t what I’m playing the game for! Get those bosses the fuck out of my game!

On the plus side: I like that MTaP allows you to pick and choose from 4 missions every week day. Much easier to actually fulfill them that way.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I do like that Steamworld Quest's chapters are about 30 minutes at most, it is an ideal "before bed" game.

Also that they let you pick who walks around the map, never not gonna have Copernica.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The "control which party member appears on the map" feature should be standard for any game that doesn't have the full party on screen.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Raisin' Cain's is maybe the best fast fried chicken around here, but I haven't yet tried Zaxby's that has moved into the area.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I intend to play Steamworld Quest at some point

Dig 1 and 2 are some of my favorites

Moriveth wrote: »

Heist is also excellent!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Raisin' Cain's is maybe the best fast fried chicken around here, but I haven't yet tried Zaxby's that has moved into the area.

Zaxby's is what was always around for me, I didn't have a Raisin' Cain's until I moved to Mississippi, but I find them comparable in quality

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    This place called Champ's Chicken opened up in all the like convenience stores/gas stations north of here. That chain has always had restaurants of some kind attached to them.

Anyway, for what it is its pretty dang good. Lotta variety too. Chicken tenders are real good. They also got these huge ass fish planks with this real light bread crumb breading that are great.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The "control which party member appears on the map" feature should be standard for any game that doesn't have the full party on screen.

Funnily enough, Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia (the most recent FF gacha game) actually does this. Whoever is in the party's first slot is who appears on the "world map," such as it is. It's an extremely minor detail, but it's nice that they bothered.

And now I'm realizing how incredibly rare that is for FF games.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

Heist is also excellent!

I have that too! It’s quite good!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I like being able to choose who's on screen but it's annoying when that's tied to "this specific character needs to be the one in the lead before talking to this specific NPC to trigger this specific scene" sort of stuff.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Zaxby's is what was always around for me, I didn't have a Raisin' Cain's until I moved to Mississippi, but I find them comparable in quality

There's also this thing in central Texas called Bush's Chicken which was basically the only thing we had where I grew up. It's actually pretty alright, and their mashed potatoes and gravy are pretty good.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Is there a way to upgrade weapons or shift combo finishers in Steamworld Quest? Cause Copernica's party wide shield finisher rocks, but it's tied to her default weapon.

Is there a way to upgrade weapons or shift combo finishers in Steamworld Quest? Cause Copernica's party wide shield finisher rocks, but it's tied to her default weapon.

The second & third set of weapon upgrades have multiple options of finishers, so you can get shields back then.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Slim Chickens is the superior chicken tenders restaurant.

This discussion has been closed.