As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Authentication error when phone reconnects to home wireless

A couple weeks ago I finally replaced my venerable WRT54GL.
I kept the SSID and password the same, but just to be safe, told my phone (Galaxy S6) to forget the network and manually reconnected to it. However it frequently fails to properly reconnect, such as when I come home from work or being idle overnight.

The wifi networks thing just shows "authentication error", and all it takes to fix it is just toggling wifi off (either from the actual wifi menu or the notification pulldown menu) and back on.

With my old router this happened occasionally, usually in the overnight scenario, but it also had no error message, but it's an every day kind of thing now.

Is there some weird cache i need to blow out or something?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Delete the saved network in your device, reboot it, and then re-add it. It probably still has remembered WPA1 stuff instead of WPA2 stuff and it might be somewhat lazy about how it handles re-authing ever so often, after the initial connect.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Delete the saved network in your device, reboot it, and then re-add it. It probably still has remembered WPA1 stuff instead of WPA2 stuff and it might be somewhat lazy about how it handles re-authing ever so often, after the initial connect.

I have definitely seen it where a client device keeps trying to use TKIP even after the network is upgraded to AES and the only way to fix it is to delete the saved wifi profile from the client and readd it.

That was a long time ago, but still

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Dang, I thought this might have taken care of it since it was well behaved the last several days, but it did it again just now when I got back from shopping.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about this on and off but I can't put my finger on what might be the cause.

Try updating the firmware of the router and then if that doesn't solve it, perhaps make a whole new AP with security key just to rule out something isn't cached somewhere? Nothing else is having this trouble right?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, so far just my phone. It's really bad today, just would not stay connected at all until after I rebooted. So weird.

steam_sig.png